Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 487257 times)

karengramke

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #12375 on: December 20, 2023, 08:33:34 AM »

Jussi Bjorling’s father was a popular opera singer.  His son followed in his footsteps as you can hear in his rendition of O Holy Night!  He came to a Lutheran Church I attended in Chicago and sang during the service!  Magnificent  experience! 
Have some  rib eye steaks in the freezer  for Christmas!   They are Prime beef, from Sams.   Delicious in the past.
Nobig plans for today!

BrokenLug

« Reply #12376 on: December 20, 2023, 09:55:03 AM »

Kb here's the last updated map of Rutt the MN Moose .. Silver Leaf Twp, MN on 12/18/2023.   8)
I'm the one that's been posting this map on "Rutt-The Central MN Moose on the Loose" group FB page using Pip's account.

An admin has just posted this:
Brenda Johnson updated the description. Admin.

This site was created for a Central Minnesota Moose that was spotted crossing the state in September and October of 2018. Then a huge following occurred when we had Rutt appear in October 2023. We watched him for two months as he made his way up north.
Feel free to use this page for pictures and videos of Minnesota moose sightings.
Please do NOT attempt to get too close to a moose. No pictures are worth your safety.
*This is a Happy Place! Possive posts only please. 🙂
Since Rutt is closer to other moose, and his antlers will be falling off in the next couple months, it will be impossible to track him. The page will now be dedicated to all Minnesota moose sightings.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:02:04 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

oldguy

« Reply #12377 on: December 20, 2023, 10:13:57 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Just made it to 32 this hour - heading for 45 - mostly sunny

Good news out of Iceland this morning...
Svartsengi Eruption to be over next days! Chamber emptied itself. No threat to Grindavik. 20.12.23   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIh-TGrvajg

Can't have Christmas without Penny's HAM TREE!   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVApG2TZuUI

Maru is definitely melting in the elephant   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdxkWDwZuk

This gal stopped at the open piano at London Terminal to sing with Brendan... short interview with her at the end...
English Rose Creates Magic By Singing Christmas Songs   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXvk6YvbGiw

Quarantine Kids play "Run Rudolph Run"   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFuMuV1mHSo

Going to see this show tonight... ;D
Mannheim Steamroller Christmas in Fargo, ND - 12.13.23   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY9yWNjdk7I
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

kbshcb

« Reply #12378 on: December 20, 2023, 10:53:44 AM »

thanks, BL...cool....yep, Silver Leaf Township is just east of Frazee, MN. I last posted here a picture of him 8 miles east of Frazee. Thanks for the map making. I do notice more than one admin. I try to only acknowledge pics where AN admin has at least posted something confirmative of it being Rutt.

I expect that it will get harder to identify him...esp. when he drops those antlers. A small part of me though would love to hear/know where he finally ends his journey and perhaps "joins" a female..
I expect not but who knows.

Chris and I decided to wait till Friday to visit Scott at the Cemetery. Until Sunday we will only be staying at our current warmer temps or even getting warmer still...I will take pics. No snow will be there, but I'm sure it will still be gorgeous.

oldguy - that's really good news. Early this morning the tv peeps were still suggesting it could go on for months. Great to hear!

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #12379 on: December 20, 2023, 11:12:56 AM »

Good morning Beakers! Finally rain!
Morning Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Puff, sounds like a beautiful early morning sky over Decorah.

Phyl, thanks for nature video...

Kb, just beautiful.

Clynn, Congratulations to your great nephews!  ;D  if Mike didn't love Turkey on Christmas Day, we would have roast beef. He loves both equally.... congratulations to NEFL family. :-*

Tsk, Potato Chip cookies?! I'm not telling Mike, he'd want me to bake a batch.  :o

Karen, sweet pic of you.  ;D

BL, thanks for Rutt update... I wish he'd find a friend or two.

Oldguy, Good news about the Iceland eruption and for the community of Grindavik.... Have a wonderful evening listening to Mannheim Steamroller! We have their Christmas cds! Thanks for links.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #12380 on: December 20, 2023, 11:21:29 AM »

📺 SLOTH TV

🦥Sloth Preschool Update:

Moose, two-fingered sloth: Under 500 grams, seems to be adjusting well to his diet (goat's milk) and gaining weight.

Mimi, two-fingered sloth: The vet team had to amputate her hand until wrist level to prevent the risk of infection. She has the most reserved prognosis and hasn’t been gaining weight. Hopefully, it will start to perk up after the surgery.

Grover, two-fingered sloth: The wound on his leg is nearly healed. We have left it without a bandage, so the injury is ventilated.

Binx, two-fingered sloth: Seems stable, eating well, and gaining weight; we are closely monitoring her bathroom breaks.

Elmo, two-fingered sloth: Although he has progressed, he still has anemia and is getting weekly iron and cholesterol, closely monitoring his bloodwork.

Ken, two-fingered sloth: He will be moved to Sloth Elementary for the next stage of his rehabilitation process.

🎓Sloth University Update:
Coco, two-fingered sloth: In one of our largest sloth pre-release enclosures, consistently eating the most. Coco is likely the next sloth to be released.

Pax, two-fingered sloth: Pax needs to gain more weight before release in one of our largest sloth pre-release enclosures.

Myrtle & Spike, two-fingered sloths: Neck and neck in weight, competing to see who will be next to go to the pre-release enclosure. We are getting ready for one of them.

Liana, two-fingered sloth: Stable but still too small to move to a bigger enclosure.

Antonio, two-fingered sloth: Our smallest graduate, but growing well. We just increased his leaf amount. All the other sloths are offered the same amount except for Antonio, who’s working hard to catch up.

🥀In Loving Memory:
Cajeta, three-fingered sloth:
We are sorry to deliver the heavy news that Cajeta died of chronic pneumonia. This is a common issue TRR sees with orphaned three-fingered sloths.

A friendly reminder: We are a critical care facility - Even though you do not see this on camera, the animals are under 24/7 vet care.

Binx and Elmo  :-*

Parker (L)  Sebastian. (R)

NEW ARRIVAL:
Meet S’mores the juvenile Spectacled Owl!
🌵 A familiar story for young owls just learning how to fly, S’mores was found tangled in a barbed wire fence in the Limón Province of Costa Rica. Unable to escape, he was rescued by MINAE and brought to us for treatment of a wing injury.
🦉 Thankfully, the injuries S’mores had sustained were not significant and he breezed through his treatments in less than a month. He has since been moved to the Release Site where he is flying well and on track to be rewilded. Once we observe him hunting successfully, he will be #backinthetrees!
🎁 Looking for a last minute gift for a bird lover? Imagine S’mores under the tree this holiday season! Well, not physically–Symbolic Adoptions sponsor the overall care of an animal at TRR for one year!
💚 While wild animals are #notpets, you will receive recognition as being the adopter on our website and social media platforms, as well as an adoption package full of goodies! For more information, visit: https://bit.ly/TRRAdoptions

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

LisaG1967

« Reply #12381 on: December 20, 2023, 11:26:02 AM »

Good Morning/Afternoon Beakers

Phyl - Dark chocolate fudge sounds delicious.  ;D ;D I was seriously thinking about making the Sausage cake.  Jeff likes to mix his Scrapple with his pancakes & syrup, so I bet it would be kinda the same.    Love those Lenox nutcracker figurines.

baz - I am sure you and Zippo will have some delicious treats/snacks for Christmas.  You always have something yummy! 

tsk - I bet his doc is going to be very happy with Tim's blood sugar!

karen - I was reading some of the reviews, and some said it was a breakfast cake.  Aww, sweet pic of you!

kb - Beautiful pic of downtown Minn!

E4E
- I will eat one for you.  ;D ;D

Lani - A few left.  ;D  Lovely Christmas tree in your good night pic.

Puff - The sky was so clear in Decorah this morning, you could see most of the stars.

clynn - Woohoo...Congrats to Gabby and V3!  I bet all at NEFL are ecstatic!

oldguy - Thanks for the videos.  Those Q-Kids are still my favorite.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #12382 on: December 20, 2023, 11:34:15 AM »

KAREN   Were you about 1 yr old then??  ;D

OLDGUY   Good news for sure on eruption altho lots of damage done already.  English Rose - Big talent and she shares it with everyone. ;D   Can't go wrong with Mannheim Steamroller at Christmas.  Enjoy!!!

LANI   Sweet AM pics. :-*   S'mores is a beautiful owl.  One not familiar to us.
Chicagoland

BrokenLug

« Reply #12383 on: December 20, 2023, 11:51:28 AM »

KB & Lani I'm pretty sure Rutt crossed Co Route 34 heading North near Rochert, MN yesterday 12/19/23.
Not officially confirmed by the Admins, but I checked out all of the pics & vids pretty closely and I believe it was Rutt near the https://four-corners-convenience-store.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral located @ the intersection of 34 and 29.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/zcJpiyb7ZnaEsNFg9

According to the locals he's heading right into prime moose habitat in the Tamarack NWR and the White Earth Reservation beyond to the North.

He should find plenty of his ilk in that neck of the woods/lakes.  ;D

They think Rutt is around 2 years old.
Bull moose don't usually start breeding until they are about 5 yrs old, so it will be a few more yrs before he has a 'date'.  :-[

GO RUTT GO .. safe travels my hoofed friend.  8)
U. S. A.

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #12384 on: December 20, 2023, 01:13:42 PM »

Kb here's the last updated map of Rutt the MN Moose .. Silver Leaf Twp, MN on 12/18/2023.   8)
I'm the one that's been posting this map on "Rutt-The Central MN Moose on the Loose" group FB page using Pip's account.

An admin has just posted this:
Brenda Johnson updated the description. Admin.

This site was created for a Central Minnesota Moose that was spotted crossing the state in September and October of 2018. Then a huge following occurred when we had Rutt appear in October 2023. We watched him for two months as he made his way up north.
Feel free to use this page for pictures and videos of Minnesota moose sightings.
Please do NOT attempt to get too close to a moose. No pictures are worth your safety.
*This is a Happy Place! Possive posts only please. 🙂
Since Rutt is closer to other moose, and his antlers will be falling off in the next couple months, it will be impossible to track him. The page will now be dedicated to all Minnesota moose sightings.

Thanks, BL!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #12385 on: December 20, 2023, 01:26:49 PM »

Good Morning Beakers

Just made it to 32 this hour - heading for 45 - mostly sunny

Good news out of Iceland this morning...
Svartsengi Eruption to be over next days! Chamber emptied itself. No threat to Grindavik. 20.12.23   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIh-TGrvajg

Can't have Christmas without Penny's HAM TREE!   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVApG2TZuUI

Maru is definitely melting in the elephant   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdxkWDwZuk

This gal stopped at the open piano at London Terminal to sing with Brendan... short interview with her at the end...
English Rose Creates Magic By Singing Christmas Songs   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXvk6YvbGiw

Quarantine Kids play "Run Rudolph Run"   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFuMuV1mHSo

Going to see this show tonight... ;D
Mannheim Steamroller Christmas in Fargo, ND - 12.13.23   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY9yWNjdk7I

Oldguy, have a great time at the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Concert tonight!!  I have been twice, but not in many years now. My oldest greatneice (a senior in high school) and her parents (my oldest nephew and his wife) went to the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Concert in Charlotte on December 2nd.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 01:08:59 AM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

kbshcb

« Reply #12386 on: December 20, 2023, 01:49:42 PM »

Ah thank you BL...interesting he will be "alone" for a few more years...glad to hear he's heading North.

Only worry he's heading into wolf country....I personally am not sure/convinced how dangerous that is for him.

Please keep us posted.

Heading off to make home made chili....

BrokenLug

« Reply #12387 on: December 20, 2023, 02:24:26 PM »

Ah thank you BL...interesting he will be "alone" for a few more years...glad to hear he's heading North.

Only worry he's heading into wolf country....I personally am not sure/convinced how dangerous that is for him.

Please keep us posted.

Heading off to make home made chili....

Yeah I have been reading some peeps concerns on that FB group about the wolves/wolf packs up in that area.  :-\

Rutt seems like a very healthy and active male moose and he has been sticking primarily to open agricultural areas.
(Less likely to be accosted by a wolf in open terrain except for frozen lakes and since the lakes up there aren't frozen over enough to support a moose that shouldn't be a problem either. Stay off the lakes anyway Rutt !
I would think that the wolves would steer clear of him for the most part and he would give them a run for their money if they made a go at him.

Remember one good kick from an adult bull moose and it's possibly sayonara wolf, they don't want/need to deal with that risk. There's much easier pray for wolves to be had at this time of year (aka deer) especially with the relative lack of snow on the ground in that area.

I really don't think they'll give him much trouble especially if Rutt hooks up with some of his bull buddies that are also in the area.   :)    8)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 03:02:35 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

baziunc

« Reply #12388 on: December 20, 2023, 02:27:52 PM »

HAPPY DAY, BEAKERS!  :)

Brrr! I don't know if I'm going out for a walk today... though we're supposed to make it up to 50 today - warmer than yesterday! I may wait till tomorrow though, when it's supposed to make it to the mid-50s.  ;) :D  It is going to get a little warmer each day this week, and we will be in the mid-to-upper-60s for Christmas! Rain coming Christmas night here, I think, and then more on the day after, but I hope the weather will hold for the kids to get outside Christmas Day some, with their new outdoor things.  I think a warming trend is in the works for a large part of the country over the next few days, and rain, too.

Everone's holiday food plans sound delish!  I'm probably going to hit the grocery store the day before and just see what strikes me at the time... and like I did over Thanksgiving this year, I may settle on a yummy steak - so unlike what I usually choose for Christmas, but my lack of a working refrigerator makes for a change in my usual, which has included oysters, homemade crab bisque, and fresh whole steamed Maine lobster. I'm trying not to think about it. LOL! Looking forward to getting my new fridge delivered the first week in January! Yay!

Great news from the NEFL nest of the 1st egglet of the season - great pic of Gabby on the nest. I hope they have a successful season. And fingers crossed for the SWFL nest, too!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Lani, hugs and love for all those sloths... sadness for the ones who aren't able to continue.  :-* :-* :'(  Love seeing the toucans, too! Yay for the gorgeous Spectacled Owl making such a great recovery and on track for release back into the wild soon!  :)

Clynn, great pics of Cole and Kai, your great nephews!  They are at the top of their games!! Funny about your news of Becky after she got your package of the dolls. Love the pic of the kids playing with their new Air Hockey table! :D

Karen, I would try that sausage cake with coffee for breakfast or brunch - well, anytime, really!  ;)  I bet it's a savory delight!  Love the picture of your home's front entrance all decorated for the season - classic! Great throwback picture of you  as a child by the Christmas tree! Hugs to you and Piper!  :)

Lori, I sure do hope your pain shot gives you some relief. Fingers crossed! Let us know how it goes... hugs to you and Destini!  :)

TSK, LOL on Lulu's tail-swishing!  :D :D  Congrats on Tim's greatly improved blood sugar levels!!  Is that all from his change of diet, or is it in combination with insulin? Whatever all he's doing, it's working! Yay! Enjoy your puzzle, and y'all stay warm!  :)

Lisa, great pics of Jeff's yummy cookies!  The peanut butter ones look like the ones I used to make with a recipe called Miracle Cookies - LOL. I havven't made them in eons, but they were a fav of one of my husbands-past.  ;D ::) :P ;D 8)  I think I could eat every one of Jeff's oatmeal scotchies!!  :D   I bet you're looking forward to visiting with B&K&S over Christmas days.

Zippo calls.  ;) :D  Waving to All the Beakers!  :)

karengramke

« Reply #12389 on: December 20, 2023, 02:28:59 PM »

Thanks BL for the Rutt report!  Moose are able to kill wolves by kicking them!  Grizzley Bears, not really!  Itoo wish Rutt well!

Tsk, 2 1/2.  Should have posted it to orrow for throw back Thursday!

The sausage cake was made in lieu  of fruitcake.  Good breakfast deal. I will  ot make another one but would if I was having s large crowd for brunch!  In the winter.
Liketge stockings from the past week?  Phyll and maybe clynn posted them, I think!   Lani. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the royal As and tge sloths!  The owl is beautiful!
Clynn, good for nefl!  Glad they are back!  Late egg laying for them.
Sefl  not reporting a hatch or Pip.   Would love a Christmas baby!
Just saw BLs report?  He is correct!