Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470525 times)

Puff

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #8985 on: September 12, 2023, 07:49:04 AM »

9/11/01 - Attending an early morning 8A meeting by Costa Rica at the Soffitel O'Hare.  Disruption from phones ringing - please mute your phones people.  Couldn't get out of hotel or on the expressway home.  Sat at TV for days.  "Those ugly S.O.B.'s!!!!!
And Now ????  Yesterday we - no not we - he commemorated the date by giving Iran another $6 billion ?  to ply their trades.  Am I missing something?  I'll bet the date was not just a coincidence.  You think?  What is going on? 

Good news for Lani and others interested. . .I've been getting posts from Maui about Maui.  You must remember that the west coast of Maui has 4 vacationing areas.  Lahaina is on the miles long beach between a couple of these areas.

Posts are good news about the opening of the other areas.  Those areas are able to recover because their new construction, newer construction, meant they were"safer" than Lahaina.  Poor, sweet, original Lahaina.  Can't imagine any way to restore the spirit, traditions, history of their pretty destination.  But they are planning to replace as much as they can since they still have the memories, traditions, and hearts they had before.  Maybe just not so much wood on the wood buildings.  And, they have the Hawaiians, and the Hawaiians are determined.  They are a traditional, culture driven citizenry.  Please for those especially if you've never done so, make plans to visit #50.  Meet the history of the people, see a beautiful part of the world, support their visions.

P

karengramke

« Reply #8986 on: September 12, 2023, 08:51:32 AM »

Well Puff, enough politics, but the money to Iran was their money, not ours, and was released to them in exchange for  5 Americans being held in prison. I think it was suggested that the bombers or high jackers on 911 were Saudis!  At least 15 of the 19 were Saudis.  None were from Iran. The money , just released was frozen in 1979 in retribution for seizure  of the US embassy in Tehran. The money Must be used for food medicine and other humanitarian purposes.  Take any more comments off line and continue to keep politics off the Beak!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 02:02:41 PM by karengramke »

LisaG1967

« Reply #8987 on: September 12, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »

kb - Love the ladybugs

Phyl - We noticed on our drive over to Bradley's this weekend, that some of the leaves are already starting to change.  Our temps have been in the upper 60's at night, and this week will be in the upper 50's. 

clynn - I love the old coffee pot.  How is the wrist?  Still feeling good?

tsk - Parents decided to do this a while back after Mama was up here visiting me for a week, and my dad went to the funeral home to check out to see how much it costs to be buried.  He almost had a heart attack when they told him. He was like, ummm no.  I don't need all that hoop-la!  ;D

Morning Puff and all
  :)

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #8988 on: September 12, 2023, 09:04:09 AM »

Overcast & cloudy - later warming to 68

Lani - Love your 'nite' pic.  Hope you slept better last night and that your bee stings are healing nicely.

LisaG - I did not know this about your folks. If you had mentioned it here before, I feel bad for asking.  Good for your parents in making their decision.

Kb - Like your lady bug pic this morning.

Phyl - I have not yet posted a pic of our Delorean as I just don't see the perfect/current pic to share, I will look again at our most current.

BL - You live adventurously!

Clynn - Treasured photos of you & your sisters in NYC - thank you for posting!   Sad to see a bit of history in your hometown taken down, as it seems that store was a busy/popular place back in the day. 

Tsk - You got a good amount of rain yesterday!  Understandable you didn't drive Tim's duffle bag over to him as he was far away!

Puff - That is a positive sign that you've been getting posts from Maui.  Like what you mention about Maui/Lahaina - you say it well.

Beakers have a nice day.

Puff

« Reply #8989 on: September 12, 2023, 09:25:34 AM »

kb - Love the ladybugs

Phyl - We noticed on our drive over to Bradley's this weekend, that some of the leaves are already starting to change.  Our temps have been in the upper 60's at night, and this week will be in the upper 50's. 

clynn - I love the old coffee pot.  How is the wrist?  Still feeling good?

tsk - Parents decided to do this a while back after Mama was up here visiting me for a week, and my dad went to the funeral home to check out to see how much it costs to be buried.  He almost had a heart attack when they told him. He was like, ummm no.  I don't need all that hoop-la!  ;D

Morning Puff and all
  :)

Thanks for the good morning Lisa  My dad had done the same thing as your parent did.  Not my mom, just dad.  When we get the facts we hopefully get to pick our own.  Threatened my niece with bodily injury and nightmares if she doesn't follow the directive.      :-*  Cremation and ashes scattered at 5 special states of the USA.

Last pic of Sydney was sweet and clear shot.

E4E  I've been getting good feelings from the correpondences coming to us.  Only thing pretty competition for Lahaina  would be the people of Lahaina.

P
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 09:31:27 AM by Puff »

LisaG1967

« Reply #8990 on: September 12, 2023, 09:45:37 AM »

E4E - Don't feel bad for asking. I wasn't sure if it was TMI!   ;D

Puff - Thanks for the kind words on Sydney's pic.  Fingers crossed your niece follows your orders!  :D

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #8991 on: September 12, 2023, 11:06:19 AM »

some bounce

Yep, some yard werk to do today and some packing.  ::)  I took the car in this a.m. for service and they could not find my appt. They set me up for this afternoon and sent me home in an Escape. I remembered to grab the garage door opener and HC tag, just in case. But when I pulled into our garage I realized I had forgotten the house keys! Poor Camper had to get up and let me in. Aw.
Puff -  :D  (Maui)
I (we) have been working on our last wishes for years. Hopefully we can get to the funeral home this Fall and make a prepayment, etc.
BL... the weather is beautiful here today, but, I'm jealous of your adventures.
All... gotta run and catch up on the day...
TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

karengramke

« Reply #8992 on: September 12, 2023, 11:32:25 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!
The old and very historic church in Lahaina has been rebuilt 3 times (?) and I have confidence that it will occur again!   Not unlike the cities, world wide that have been rebuilt following wars!  The charm and history will be honored.
high of 91 here today and no temps that high noted thru Thursday week!  Close but not there!
I seem to remember applying a mud mixture to bee stings!   Way back before the days of modern medicine.  Lani, are you sure you got all of the stinger out?  Sure hope you are feeling better soon!
Lisa, I had friends in Texas who donated their bodies to a medical school.  Ashes were returned and disposed of as directed.  They had a big interest in assisting with the education of medical students and medicine!  I think there are ways to harvest useable parts and still donate.  Not sure of this!   Now, isn't this Morbid!
On a happier note, those blue gym or pe outfits are as funny to view now as they were to have on!  Thanks for the reminder clynn!
On the whopping cranes, there is a colony north of  me.  There was a lone flamingo living south of me!   The hurricane brought in some friends for him!
I am not concerned about the two hurricanes coming here.  I have worked disaster relief many times in the past and therefore have an interest in storms!   
Everyone have a great day!

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8993 on: September 12, 2023, 11:42:41 AM »

9/12
X tra news

A chick fledged in #RoyalCam view at 13:45 today. Confirmation is needed to whether it was Quarry chick or chick YD00. Both were in the UQ area and weighed this morning.
Slo-mo footage included, and thanks everyone.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1701561224214007909

9/12
Sharyn Broni Ranger

Kia ora koutou
In preparation for the start of the new Toroa season for 2023/2024 the Dunedin City Council has produced a video about the tradition of the bell ringing for the arrival of the first toroa for the next season

Sep 11, 2023 #dunedinnz #dunnerstunner
We’re not sure why or when it started, but for the last few decades, when the northern royal albatross return to Pukekura/Taiaroa Head after a year at sea, it’s been a Dunedin NZ tradition to ring in the return of the wandering toroa for the breeding season. Find out more about the wildlife capital of NZ: www.dunedinnz.com/wildlife

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uanfnBN6OPI

We expect that the first Toroa will arrive in the next couple of weeks. We will notify everyone when that happens, in the meantime get your bells ready and Take 3 for the Sea https://take3.org
Ngā mihi nui (thanks so much)
Stay tuned for fledging update this afternoon.

Manaaki  :-*

Royal Albatross - 9/12
Weigh day
Today Manaaki is 235 days old & weighed 9.2 kg.
He was fed up top by a parent on the 9th & 11th

Fledging news
9 chicks from the 33 have fledged,
but numbers could have changed by this afternoon, with the strong winds.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1701555500884857325

Manaaki  :-*

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

{{{Tig and Camper}}}

Puff, thanks for the good news coming out of Maui. And for expressing the history for its people, its traditions and aloha spirit so well.   :-*.  I know your niece will do as you requested. Our spirits will meet there on the beautiful shores of Hawaii.

Tsk, yes, my head is better today! I can easily brush my hair this morning. And no dull ache like a headache...  Thanks  ;D

Clynn, awesome pic and special memories of you and sisters trip, and of the NY skyline. I had a much better sleep last night. No pain this morning, just a little sore spot and I was able to brush my hair over the area today!  ;D .. the other two bites just itch. The bees are still going in and out of that hole. two cans of spray have been spent over it.... thank God we didn't have your P.E. outfits! We had a choice of black or red shorts and loose white v-neck top.... Sad to see a bit of your hometown buildings being taken down.  :( Salina's Ben Franklin was like your Dry Goods store. It's been gone for quite a few years now.

BL, Thank you for sharing your memories of that day. I can't imagine what you and Pip went through that day and the days that followed.

Lisa, Jeff has a very interesting job! Fantastic!  :) I'm like Puff, I have very specific plans, both girls know what's to be done. No scientific exploration on my person!  8) I think I wrote in an prior post, cremated half my ashes thrown at sunset over a bay off big isle and the other half will be buried in Mike's family plot in Salina, KS. All our pets ashes will be added to my ashes in a koa wood box and buried together....  ... a few of the Maple trees are starting to get their fall colors here in the northern part of AZ.

Kb, love the ladybugs!  ;D

Phyl, thanks for LS interesting info from Nasa.. yes your home altar and our Beak Prayer room keeps our Beak family, friends and God's many creatures in our hearts and prayers.

Looking forward to rain today!
Take care Everyone  ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 01:25:55 PM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8994 on: September 12, 2023, 12:38:50 PM »

PUFF   Good to hear the other resorts are open for business on West Maui  One time (of )two we stayed in Kaanapali

LISA  I will also be cremated as were my parents.  Way too $$$ to put a box in the ground.  I will go in Tim's gravesite.

TIG   Hope you are going somewhere special for your anniversary  ;)  LOL  You need to hide a key ;D ;D

Gotta run - will finish later
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #8995 on: September 12, 2023, 02:09:38 PM »

Lani, I am growing very fond of Maanaki and hate to think of him leaving for such a long time!  I guess that is what everyone does when they reach a certain age!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 04:58:59 PM by karengramke »

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #8996 on: September 12, 2023, 02:59:29 PM »

baz - What an adorable pic of Punkin on her first day of Kindergarten!  Jeff's building is the same, very tight security.  They have an armed guard at the front entrance, and you have to go thru a metal detector every time you go in or out the building.  The badge is used to get inside the glass doors from the parking garage to take the elevator down to the first floor to where the guards are, so you can get into the building.  The badge also lets personnel know if you are in the building or not.  The badge is also used to open different doors on different floors of the building. 

Kb - Aww, Roselle!

Lisa, security where I worked was the same as what you described for Jeff. I wouldn't have been able to get on the elevator to ride up from the parking garage if I didn't have my badge. I would have to walk from the street level to the bldg's main front door entrance lobby to the front desk security guard (who was behind bulletproof glass), and then request the guard to call someone who was allowed sign me in - as a "visitor." Luckily, I didn't forget my electronic ID often! The few times I did, I would always take the first opportunity to drive home and get it, since I was lucky enough to live pretty close to where I worked back then. It was a real pain in the neck to try to get through the whole workday not being able to get in and out of the places I needed to go, without my ID. Lucky you were able to get it for him!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #8997 on: September 12, 2023, 03:52:07 PM »

Happy Day, Beakers!  :)

Lani, glad your stings are better! Yep, Clynn's Bella and my Littlest Greatniece are the same age!  :D  My LGN's Kindergarten is at the same school where she went to pre-K last year, so same place, different teachers, this year.  :) :-* (((Manaaki)))  :-* :-*

Clynn, LOL, yes, it will be fun to see if Bella and my LGN end up pursuing the careers and interests they have now!!  ;D :-* :-*

Karen, ditto!!  :)

No lunch here again today... LOL... because I got busy with household chores and then a few errands. So... I'm heading to the kitchen now to make an early supper... will sautee some shrimp to go on top of some fresh organic baby mixed greens I got this morning... with some pineapple and mango salsa, fresh brocolli, and chopped green onions - all on the big bed of fresh greens with the shrimp, and will sprinkle it all with EVOO and Balsamic vinegar, and put a big dollop of cocktail sauce in the center for dipping the shrimp. Glash of Pinot Grigio to go with.  ;) :D

Have a good evening, Beakers!  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

kbshcb

« Reply #8998 on: September 12, 2023, 04:01:53 PM »

somebody caught a great pic of the dragonfly's migrating I mentioned the other day....I didn't...

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8999 on: September 12, 2023, 04:09:30 PM »

LANI   Wish Manaaki would have waved his wing  LOL   I'm so happy to hear of all those trying to keep this planet going with all of its unusual species in specialized environments.  Looked up definition of Toroa  " Maori name for Royal Albatross"   So glad your head is better.   The town I live in had a Ben Franklin when we first moved here but long gone now.

BAZI   Can't imagine what that high security must have been like.  But you were used to it.  If I lived alone I don't know if I would cook a healthy as you do.  I would hope to though. :-*

KB  What an amazing photo of the dragonflies  They look like birds.

I fell today walking home with a friend from Bible study and we were engaged in good conversation and of course I wasn't paying attention.  So glad I was declared healed in my back and that this didn't happen any sooner.  Always the surprise of it is the scariest ( I never fall  LOL)  So my weaker left toe lift must have caught on a crack and down I went on my left side - half on concrete and half on grass.  More worried about my glasses as my left cheek hit the sidewalk  sigh.  Glasses were fine ( Phew) but half off my face.  My friend was so worried.  But I got up and we walked the rest of the way home - What I didn't realize is my palms were scraped and blood was dripping down the cover of my Bible study book  LOLOL  If it was the crucified Christ on the front it would have been something else  :o.  Washed up, put the Bandaids/peroxide on where needed and took 2 Aleve cuz I'm sure tomorrow I will feel it.
Chicagoland