Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 192774 times)

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #2925 on: March 27, 2024, 07:57:06 AM »

some bounce

Here is a video from a Captain I "watch" who runs a small shrimp boat near Brunswick, Georgia. He gives insight into the mechanics of the power outage and inability for the ship to stop or maintain course. Very interesting. And brief.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0keBilRddk

Captain Andy has played Santa Claus for decades for the kids in the town and the whole community of St. Simons is involved in giving back.

BBL
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

oldguy

« Reply #2926 on: March 27, 2024, 09:11:40 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

here is  another update from Sal on the Baltimore bridge collapse...
 MV Dali and Port of Baltimore Update - March 27, 2024   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoPRz7wk3WY

And this from the Today News on the effects of the disaster..
How Baltimore bridge collapse could impact shipping, commuters   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc3OSUwwhFA

This is good info for the upcoming solar eclipse
Fake Eclipse Glasses - Three Ways To Spot A Dangerous Fake   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQR115jlyOc

CHOMP! LuLu Bit a Sleeping Cat's Tail! (ENG SUB)   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGwRwXmnciM
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

LisaG1967

« Reply #2927 on: March 27, 2024, 09:39:04 AM »

Phyl - Thanks for the 365 and RRP post.

tsk - I cannot imagine.  :(  It was a weird feeling crossing the bridge to doctor appointment this morning and seeing all the ships sitting out there, waiting to go to the port.  Cute morning greeting. 

clynn - Love the decorated mason jar.  I would have loved to have that croissant this morning.   :D

tig - Very interesting.  Thanks  :)

oldguy - Thanks for the videos.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #2928 on: March 27, 2024, 11:59:55 AM »

Bearstudy - Eagle, Fox and So Many Redpolls - UPDATE March 24, 2024

https://www.bearstudy.org/updates/daily-updates/4886-eagle-fox-and-so-many-redpolls-update-march-24-2024.html

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Oldguy, thanks for bridge update and links. I'll watch later.

Tig, thanks, I'll watch the video.

Clynn, beautiful pic of the Royal Gorge...

Phyl, awwww precious DN babies, thanks for RRP update... Love the baby and Alaska article.  ;D :-*

{{{Lisa and Jeff}}} I hope all goes well. Safe travels across the bridge. :)

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

BrokenLug

« Reply #2929 on: March 27, 2024, 01:48:47 PM »

BL - the admin of the group stated he thinks it's a Scots Pine tree....
Native to Europe and Asia but google says it's now naturalized in the US...
He's been posting tons of historical info on the area I grew up in.
Flashbacks of Bloomington and surrounding areas fb page

kb thanks for the positive ID on the Scots Pine.

That is one beautiful specimen of Pinus sylvestris. You can tell it has been well taken care of and shaped for many years.
It reminded me of a giant Bonsai Tree when I 1st saw it.   :)   8)

Your childhood home area in Bloomington by Nine Mile Crk and the Minnesota Riv looks like it was outdoor heaven for you kids.  ;D
Was the Waleswood Estate still there when you were a kid ?

Some MSP snow stats for you and Chris:
It's official you more than doubled your season snowfall over the past 6 days.
Up to 03/19/24 the season total was 14.3".
From 03/21 to 03/26 MSP received 15.2".
The new season total - so far - is 29.5" .. still below the season total AVG of 54.0" by 24.5".

I hope it all melts out for you swiftly come April.   :-*
U. S. A.

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #2930 on: March 27, 2024, 02:02:01 PM »

bounce

1.25 hours and $425 later, the roof is clear of snow and the sun is working its magic. Yay! I went out briefly to add a couple of zip ties to my fence gates rabbit deterrent barricades and clear a few shovels worth of snow here and there. I should be able to return to the pool tomorrow.

I watched a feeding at the North nest for a bit. And Mom Canada Goose is resting.

TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

BrokenLug

« Reply #2931 on: March 27, 2024, 02:02:45 PM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Royal Gorge Bridge & Park, Colorado [/size]

Clynn I bungee jumped off of that bridge back in the 80's, it was quite the head rush I can tell you !!

Just walking across the wood planked bridge is pretty cool.

Here's a link with some great photos to get all of you Beakers Acrophobia going ..     ;)

https://highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=Royal_Gorge_Bridge
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 02:29:50 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

kbshcb

« Reply #2932 on: March 27, 2024, 02:04:36 PM »

BL - the admin of the group stated he thinks it's a Scots Pine tree....
Native to Europe and Asia but google says it's now naturalized in the US...
He's been posting tons of historical info on the area I grew up in.
Flashbacks of Bloomington and surrounding areas fb page

kb thanks for the positive ID on the Scots Pine.

That is one beautiful specimen of Pinus sylvestris. You can tell it has been well taken care of and shaped for many years.
It reminded me of a giant Bonsai Tree when I 1st saw it.   :)   8)

Your childhood home area in Bloomington by Nine Mile Crk and the Minnesota Riv looks like it was outdoor heaven for you kids.  ;D
Was the Waleswood Estate still there when you were a kid ?

Some MSP snow stats for you and Chris:
It's official you more than doubled your season snowfall over the past 6 days.
Up to 03/19/24 the season total was 14.3".
From 03/21 to 03/26 MSP received 15.2".
The new season total - so far - is 29.5" .. still below the season total AVG of 54.0" by 24.5".

I hope it all melts out for you swiftly come April.   :-*

No the Waleswood Estates sold/bankruptcy?????I forgot..it was a long time ago, a different time, and Marv Anderson bought it just before our subdivision was built in the mid 50's to 60...
I believe some tragedies fell upon the Waleswood Estate family.

My home was built by Marv Anderson in 1958 when we immediately moved in. I was 6 years old.a first grader. Had my twin brother and a year younger sister.

However, I forgot, but there is an association with the Waleswood name to the curve our house was built on Wellswood Curve and Overlook Drive.

I did read all the historical information but it didn't all sink in my brain...just the gist of the history.

Nonetheless, I attribute my love of nature to the area I grew up in and also importantly the time I grew up in. We were allowed to spend an entire day alone in the woods if we wanted to.

I currently would hesitate to visit this area alone as an adult.

Yes, I hope it melts soon too!...My driveway and decks have 1/2 inch or more of ice under the snow.
Today I removed the snow on some of it to let the sun do it's job on the ice.

I think in the season of 2014/15?...or sometime not too far back in history we had a 27 or so inch winter.
Also a El Nino year.

Looking forward to spring, and maybe a walk in my ol neighborhood but with another adult

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #2933 on: March 27, 2024, 03:12:07 PM »

CLYNN   WOW  Ex hubby and parents all dying within a year of each other.    Could the vehicles on the bridge have been the vehicles of the workers???

TIG   Always good to hear from those in the know about such ships etc.

OLDGUY    Thanks for all your links.  Tim heard this AM - 140,000 people out of work as well. :o

BL    What haven't you done!!!  :o
Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #2934 on: March 27, 2024, 03:56:35 PM »

Have a good night, everyone  :)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #2935 on: March 27, 2024, 04:22:24 PM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Royal Gorge Bridge & Park, Colorado

Clynn I bungee jumped off of that bridge back in the 80's, it was quite the head rush I can tell you !!

Just walking across the wood planked bridge is pretty cool.

Here's a link with some great photos to get all of you Beakers Acrophobia going ..     ;)

https://highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=Royal_Gorge_Bridge

BL!! That's a major wow - your bungee jump from this bridge! Oh my!!  :o :o  My very first thought when I read that was, "Head Rush" is only 1 letter off from "Head Crush!!"  8)  Yowza!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #2936 on: March 27, 2024, 06:00:27 PM »

Howdy Beakers!

I walked 23 minutes today, after running several errands. It was a shorter walk than usual, but rain clouds were threatening, so I didn't venture far. False alarm on the rain clouds, though a nearby area had a shower. Widespread rain will move in here later this evening, and continue through a cooler tomorrow - forecasting 1-3 inches of rain before it ends tomorrow evening, with some places expecting 3-5 inches. Then a sunny and very warm Easter weekend, around 80 degrees. I bought a pretty red geranium for a pot out front.

Clynn, it takes a lot of sitting or standing and watching time to see what all is happening in the wide world of nature. as you know. People who can't sit/stand and watch, and sit and watch some more, quietly, alertly, with their head on a swivel, miss almost all of it. We could just hit the refill button, and stay put, and watch. Stuff happens all around!  ;) ;D

Good night, Beakers. Peace. SED.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #2937 on: March 27, 2024, 06:06:03 PM »

BAZI  You're a better gal than I. Was too tired after two grocery stores and the post office.  Opted out of my treadmill today.  Tomorrow will be plenty of time.  Brutal wind and colder feel to the weather.
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #2938 on: March 27, 2024, 07:56:21 PM »

Good evening Beakers!
Good reading today and BL, I am thinking I might plan a trip to Colorado and bungee jump for my next  birthday!   Lolol

Dr. hall she would give Piper a pedicure today!  She. Stopped in kast night with  2 bags   With pill pockets and drugs!   One bag for last night and one for this morning!   Pipers behavior was quite odd!  Finally got to bed at midnight or later and dropped off to sleep with  tv and ceiling fan on!   Woke up at some hour and immediately felt hot!  Aha!  Ceiling fan off, cpap machine off and no tv!  In less than  30 minutes. All was back on!   This Morning I found that I slept through the. Weather warning call and a really bad storm!   75 plus mph winds driving heavy rain and hail!  No visible damage here but a lot if damage a few moles from me!  Straight line winds!   Baz, is this the system you are expecting?   Weather cooler in the low  70s  for a   few more days!
Dr. Hall had to give Piper more Happy stuff to do her pedicure!  Got it done with a lot of squirming!   Someone must have hurt her at some time as she really does not like it!  Rain again this evening.  Piper back o normal and we are iff to bed!   SEDS

BrokenLug

« Reply #2939 on: March 27, 2024, 08:39:26 PM »

Baz back in the early days they could/would calibrate the bungee cord to your exact weight so that your head would hopefully come within about 20' of the Arkansas River below.

That was the "deluxe adrenaline package" as they called it at the time .. for extra $$ of course.   
They don't do that anymore at the Royal Gorge that I know of.

I opted for the regular package where your walnut "bottomed out" at about 150' above the river.
It's sort of like sky diving / free falling head down at terminal velocity (between 150 & 180 mph) which is not foreign to me.

Free falling head down on the end of a rubber band is sort of like sky diving ^^ up until the reverse apogee recoil at the bottom of the giant rubber band .. the rocketing back up towards the bridge deck .. that is the gotcha moment that you know this is something different.

Whoa whoa and some more whoa that ain't nothing like landing by any type of parachute rig I've ever safely landed with 700 + times.

After you get hoisted back up to the bridge deck upside down and change your shorts you go and get a cold one and look to  the next advenure.

Royal was not my first or last bungee jump.
It was my last one of that caliber however.

To get me to do it again would require just one person that jumped before me who knew and trusted the rigging situation. 

That man that mentored me on all sorts of climbing, gliding and falling   :'( 
The real ropes of safety teaching to me passed peacefully of natural cause on the night of 03/26/24.

Freaky Clynn you pop up that pic this AM.

His daughter called early in the morning and by her # I knew.
We reminisced laughed and cried at the same time together as you all know.

I got up after hanging up the phone with her pondering.
Dusted off a very old bottle of Jack Daniels Black and took a hearty shot of it at 3 AM.
I hope it went down as just smooth with you as it did with me brother.    :)

Just like the night after we voluntarily jumped off that perfectly good bridge.   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcgEf1kJ3wo
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 10:47:51 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.