Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 542697 times)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #2880 on: March 26, 2024, 07:18:39 AM »

MORNING ALL

53 heading to 55 and some rain in the forecast.

EAGLES  Glad it was the garage that had excessive rain and not in the house somewhere  :o

LANI   Would be nice to meet with Shannon for Easter if she is able.  I know in the past she has offered to work holidays for those with kids and families.  :-*

PHYL   Nice combo of hyacinths and tulips this AM  :)   365  busy little musk rat.  ;)   Thanks for Amy's technical blog  :)

CLYNN   WOW  I'll have to turn on the TV.   Our first house had major water problems in the basement - I hated it.  Love the red headed woodpeckers
Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #2881 on: March 26, 2024, 07:23:43 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Wow, what news to wake up to this morning, that one of our major bridges has collapsed after a ship hit it at 1:30am!  Prayers for everyone. 
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/03/26/key-bridge-collapses-into-patapsco/?fbclid=IwAR12vIicQGQ7tquLaUT-bGlQfbT362jY5ztMUgwCqjRBFQf7m25VWuHwBWg

Lani - Thanks.  I hope it is approved by the Mama.

Phyl - Thanks for the 365 and RRP post. 

clynn - Local news says, two people were recovered, so far.  One refused treatment and one is in critical condition at Shock Trauma.

kb - You are correct. If it would have been any later, and the ship would have made it to my bridge.  That would have really been bad.  The people that cross the Key bridge have an alternate route to get around it.  We do not on this side of the bridge.  We would have to drive 2 hours to the top of Maryland, and then back down 2 hours just to get over to the other side.

tsk, E4E, tig, karen and all - Morning!

It's a big loss for our State...no ships can enter the port, no cruise ships can leave till that is cleaned up.  Loss of revenue, as that was a toll bridge and will need to be re-built.

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #2882 on: March 26, 2024, 07:40:49 AM »

Lisa, the only good thing is that it was so very early in the morning and the traffic was very light.  I think it would have been much worse it the ship had hit the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, no matter what time!  A daylight video:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/baltimore-bridge-collapse-live-updates-ship-lost-propulsion-prior-to-impact/ar-BB1ky50l
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #2883 on: March 26, 2024, 07:51:18 AM »

bounce

Prayers for families affected by bridge collapse.  :(

Rain. Ice. More snow.

A pretty.
A progression...
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #2884 on: March 26, 2024, 08:24:29 AM »

LISA   Terrible catastrophe!!  Do you ever use that bridge?

TIG  Nice progression of snow accumulation.

Quite a nail biter at times for Iowa women last night  :o :o
Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #2885 on: March 26, 2024, 08:57:15 AM »

clynn - I agree with you on that!  The bridge maintenance workers do work at night on all bridges around here, to keep the traffic flowing during the day.  I believe the local news said, they were looking for the 7 workers.  If you watch the video of the collapse, you can see the work crews with their lights on up on the bridge as it goes down.  :(  They were also saying a tractor trailer was crossing at that same time. 

tig - Beautiful flowers, and nice melt there!

tsk - I have only crossed that a handful of times, but not on a regular basis.  My ex SIL uses it daily to go to and from work!  She called me in a panic this morning. 

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #2886 on: March 26, 2024, 09:01:25 AM »

sorry Lisa... not a melt, a buildup!  ;)  8 inches compacted. And now 3 inches coming...
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

kbshcb

« Reply #2887 on: March 26, 2024, 09:09:35 AM »

The news has suggested there should have been a harbor pilot on the ship besides the captain. The harbor pilot guides the ship into and out of the harbor.

So, I got to thinking how does he get off once out of the harbor itself?

Here's how: ...this video there is wind, this morning's collision was calm.

The harbor pilot and captain know what happened but I'm sure advised to be quiet till much later.

I still haven't heard how many crew members might have been on the ship...Certainly more than the captain and harbor pilot/pilots?

https://youtu.be/6reRWaPcqBk?t=1

tig- Snow has been coming down hard and sideways here for quite awhile.
This after all night intermittent very heavy rain.

I imagine ice under the snow could make it treacherous?...at least on my driveway, LOL

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #2888 on: March 26, 2024, 09:13:22 AM »

Just tuned to  FNC---MD Fire Chief holding press conference.  OMG!  So thankful light  traffic /not Lisa's bridge. Nonetheless any loss of life is tragic!
🙏 's rescuers are in time!  Can only imagine those  8 people in those fridged waters. 

Baltimore's Key Bridge collapses after ship collision; 2 rescued, search continues: Live updates

Story by Charles Ventura, Thao Nguyen, Susan Miller and Christopher Cann, USA TODAY • 13m •

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/baltimores-key-bridge-collapses-after-ship-collision-2-rescued-search-continues-live-updates/ar-BB1kxvrB

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 12:04:26 PM by Phyl »

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

Puff

« Reply #2889 on: March 26, 2024, 10:28:19 AM »

Same Fox station here KB.  A little bit more info they mentioned.  Crew on ship knew something was wrong and put out mayday.  Bridge people on hand shut down entrance to both ends of bridge, not sure how many vehicles were already on bridge.  Our fine Navy seals are already in the water doing what they can, finding whatever they can.  Ship seen in video, the one they seem to luckily have and that they are always manning, show the ship's lights going off and on a couple times.  Mechanical problem maybe?  The missing people they know about and are looking for were working through the night filling pot holes.  That must be the known missing.  Governor talk/presentation was very well done, had authentic feel to it.

P

kbshcb

« Reply #2890 on: March 26, 2024, 10:39:16 AM »

Same Fox station here KB.  A little bit more info they mentioned.  Crew on ship knew something was wrong and put out mayday.  Bridge people on hand shut down entrance to both ends of bridge, not sure how many vehicles were already on bridge.  Our fine Navy seals are already in the water doing what they can, finding whatever they can.  Ship seen in video, the one they seem to luckily have and that they are always manning, show the ship's lights going off and on a couple times.  Mechanical problem maybe?  The missing people they know about and are looking for were working through the night filling pot holes.  That must be the known missing.  Governor talk/presentation was very well done, had authentic feel to it.

P

Yeah I'm watching any/all updates even now...after watching the video of the ship hitting the bridge over and over, I have to say I see vehicles crossing before but not during the actual hit. At least as much of the bridge on the video.

Originally someone said sonar showed vehicles in the water. Now, I'm questioning that. That would be tremendous if they actually closed it just before the strike and no vehicles still on that section that went down.

I know the 6 maintenance workers left unaccounted for for sure...

During the 35W bridge collapse maintenance people were also on that bridge at the time it went down. In fact, with that bridge that was part of the reason it fell down with the extra weight on top of a structurally deficient bridge.

LisaG1967

« Reply #2891 on: March 26, 2024, 10:45:41 AM »

tig - Oops, I thought your first pic was after the snow from yesterday.

kb - Jeff posted this to me on Skype earlier.  The same vessel that hit the Baltimore Key Bridge on Tuesday, destroying it and sending people and vehicles tumbling into the water, was also involved in a collision while leaving the port of Antwerp, Belgium, in 2016. 

Phyl - Local weather girl said, water temp was like 47° at the time.

Puff

« Reply #2892 on: March 26, 2024, 10:53:26 AM »

Interesting reply from Doc on TV. . .46 degrees does not mean freezing -BUT That does mean the body's temp can/will go down 50 degrees  - that's what is the danger.  Never though about it that way.  I don't like even 70 in the house.

Later - going to Saint Lucia. . .

P

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #2893 on: March 26, 2024, 11:52:59 AM »

This was a report Mardy sent to me that I thought was very good.  She uses this bridge on a regular basis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbUXewlQDk

Chicagoland

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #2894 on: March 26, 2024, 12:01:49 PM »

Lisa  47F doesn't mean the water isn't cold and restrictive to movement and breathing, as  per Dr. Mark Segal .  Besides the drop from the bridge is about 185 ft +/-  , that fall is almost always fatal  as per Dr. Mark Segal stated on 'Outnumbered' FNC. Let's pray for a survival miracle.

Tsk
so relieved Jaspurr wasn't there. That SOS the ship sent out was heeded by the mayor and traffic was shut down/diverted
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 12:13:00 PM by Phyl »

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam