Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 308036 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #5745 on: June 27, 2024, 10:39:11 AM »

Lisa, it's a recipe Ed's mother gave me when I asked her 'what can I make with over-ripe bananas besides Banana bread'?  She was a Home Ec teacher before she became a counselor. She was a wonderful cook! Banana Oatmeal Cookies. Ed said he entered them at the State Fair one year and won first Prize. Sorry it's so messy, it has been used for almost 40 years! Let me know if you can't read some of it. Note: I add about 1/2 C more flour, I add floured plumped raisins and I lower the oven temp to 390. Check at 10 minutes. (this may be my oven, so adjust as needed.)

Oh, this sounds wonderful!  I am going to have to try this, as I sometimes get tired of making Banana bread.

kbshcb

« Reply #5746 on: June 27, 2024, 10:57:15 AM »

https://x.com/i/status/1806319874072871310

Harriet Island along the Mississippi in the Twin Cities is underwater. The Mississippi will crest on Saturday.

Harriet Island is just across the river and a little south of our DNR eagles.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Harriet+Island+Regional+Park/@44.9442078,-93.0869815,15z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x87f62ad3bc2ebce9:0x9fc846eac9c10b8c!8m2!3d44.9404108!4d-93.0926034!16s%2Fg%2F1tfzhb0d?entry=ttu

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5747 on: June 27, 2024, 10:59:21 AM »

Puffin Nesting Habits

Ama is already almost 2 weeks old! Pufflings will be cared for by their parents in the burrow for around 6 weeks, or 40 days, before taking flight in the dead of the night. This means that Ama’s expected fledge date will be around July 22-23!

In the meantime, we can admire Willie and Millie’s amazing burrow defense skills! During this time, there are a lot of wandering puffins who are exploring potential burrows for upcoming nesting seasons. If you’re the puffin parents already occupying the burrow, defending becomes an even bigger challenge because of your little chick inside.

You can see an intruder puffin poke its head in. After the classic "no-no" head shakes to ward the stranger off, Millie then leaped at the entrance to scare it away! Millie was very on guard today, accidentally attacking Willie as well, who was busy bringing back fish for Ama.

Millie shows off her burrow defense skills! Photo: explore.org

Millie protecting Ama, even from poor dad Willie bringing fish for Ama

Ama showing off by practicing some “wingers”. Too cute! Photo: explore.org

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Lisa, Ezee, Eburg, Weasel, Jilltosa, Kb, Tsk, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Eagles, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, BL, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5748 on: June 27, 2024, 02:33:32 PM »

PHYL  Blast from the past this AM!!       " Advance Placement in outdoor school this year for DN 17,18"   ;D ;D Thanks for the blog and ground pic of the limb and nest.

KB  Not sure " this one for tsk?"  LOL  Never heard of those wood rats before.  What a shame for that beautiful park

CLYNN  clever piece of driftwood  ;D    How fun that Bella now likes to make cookies  ;D   Have the cats pretty much adjusted to all the kids activities?   71 today.  PHEW  House is all opened up  YAY  Oh My - When did Linda fall and break her leg???  Must have been after you left??  Richmond and Rosie - Now we can't see all the crazy thing they bring to their nest  :P   Recipe looks great!!!  That's just about what all the recipes look like that I took from Mom's recipe box  LOL  I think when there was the Lillian Vernon catalog I ordered plast sleeves for the index cards.  Still have them.

LANI  Thanks for that action packed puffin report  ;) ;)
Chicagoland

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #5749 on: June 27, 2024, 03:30:41 PM »

Hi Beakers!  :)

Clynn, I'm sorry about your aunt breaking her leg and being in the hospital! I hope she recovers quickly and completely. I bet you Mom will like having that walker, especially for shopping. Pics of the kids are great - they're having another fun day at Granma's! Those cookies sound divine. When cool, are they soft, chewy, or a bit "crisp?" What happens if you don't add that extra flour that you do? I might have to break down and try making some. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Lisa, let me know if you make those cookies.

Lani, Millie is "on it!" Poor Willie... he says, "Good Lord, woman, it's me! And I brought home dinner for our Ama!" LOL! They are great protecters and providers!!  :-* :-*

A thunderstorm is cranking up pretty good right now, so I'm going to log off and unplug my PC. I'm hoping we get a bunch of rain from it though - we are way below our normal amount of rain for the month, and for the year  - in the very dry category, officially, but on the verge of the drought category - as of a few days ago... might have moved into the drought category in the last couple of days, since there's been no rain. So far, I'm sparing my neighborhood of witnessing my rain dance.  8)

Everyone have a Good Night. Peace. SED.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #5750 on: June 27, 2024, 04:33:02 PM »

tsk, it was just a couple of weeks ago that my Aunt Linda fell! She is the youngest of the three and is (was) on the go a lot, she would take Mom or the other sister, Aunt June, to their Dr. appointments! June isn't doing well either, the doctor thinks she has Long Covid, and then her back started bothering her. She was always the working Farmer's Wife. Lots of physical labor. Her husband passed away a year ago in February. She still tries to keep the place up, mowing and all. Linda is also a Farmer's Wife, but Uncle Jack worked for FS and kept the farm going, planting and raising livestock. So, Linda was much better off financially and didn't have to help with the actual farming (they had a farm hand). Her husband, Uncle Jack, died in a tractor accident in 2013. And my Dad passed in 2018, wo they are all widows. I'm sure, more than you wanted to know!  Lillian Vernon! I had forgotten about her catalog! So fun to look through!

baz, the cookies are crisp around the edges until you put them in a container. Then they are softies! If you don't add the extra flour they spread more. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't like them running together.

The Banana Oatmeal Cookies!

Lani, I love seeing a Puffin parent with a mouthful of those little fishies! Millie was really on the defensive! Por Willie! But I am sure he got over it and Ama enjoyer her meal! I didn't know about the head shaking to warn intruders!

Hellgate - 13:37, 6/27   Finnegan has taken the leftovers and Iris is tidying up the nest.....and Younger takes advantage of that for a few more bites    #HellgateOsprey
Just exactly what Lani said, Iris feeds the Elder until he passes out in a food coma, and then takes care of the Younger!
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5751 on: June 27, 2024, 06:46:10 PM »

BAZI    I'm sure you only share your rain dance for very special people  LOL   Willie saying " Good Lord it's me"  LOLOL

CLYNN  Gosh I didn't realize June wasn't doing the best either.  Hugs to those sisters.. :-* :-*  I bet some of those cookies went home with the kids  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 06:38:02 AM by tsk34 »
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #5752 on: June 27, 2024, 08:34:44 PM »

Good evening!  Busy day here!  Nothing spectacular but time consuming!   I did takes time to read the posts and found them enjoyable!  Lisa, no rain to speak of here!  Blew  away to fast, supposedly we will have some tomorrow and maybe Saturday!  Shall see! 
Lani, the Puffins are really interesting!   Iris and Finn are doing great! Nntsk your morning picture is very pretty!  C,y. , I would your name love to  try those cookies 
But  I think they make too many!   That bowl was full of  dough!   I would eat them all!  The kids 👀 happy!
Baz, glad you are getting some rain!
Wiskernwings  had a  video  of M15 and F 23  this morning!   They looked great!
Turning in, seds   Phyl, stay dry and cook!

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5753 on: June 28, 2024, 01:12:36 AM »

Phyl, Happy heavenly birthday to your dad.... I have a couple of record inserts.... thanks for RRP update and history of the Bald Eagle.

Kb, awww the Wood rat.... the flooding is terrible. sending prayers.

Clynn, fun pics of the munchkins.... what kind of cookies! YUM! ... awww Rosie & Richmond. No sea view.  :( .... I bet that's a great recipe, because of the well used recipe card! I'm going to try it for Mike. Thanks for sharing it!  ;D ... oh, I'm sorry about your {{{aunts Linda and June}}}} sending prayers for the three sisters. {{{Hellgate babies  :-*}}}

Tsk, I use to get Lillian Vernon catalogs, they stopped when I moved here. I'll have to check out their website.

Baz, You got the all clear! That's great news!! ... poor Willie "Good Lord, woman, it's me!" LOL!   ;D

SED Karen, glad to know SWFL M15 and mate are doing well. I wish SWFL would give them names now.

Good night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfwlj0gba_k&list=RDEMEUNf1pH3JYkmwDUyOgVDEQ&start_radio=1&rv=EjyljC5fSeU

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Clynn's Aunt June, Linda and Mom, Clynn and Ed, Lisa, Jeff and Family, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Tig, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Clynn, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Denton eaglets and nest, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5754 on: June 28, 2024, 05:51:29 AM »

NATIONAL PAUL BUNYAN DAY | June 28

On June 28, we fondly remember the tales of the big blue ox and a mighty lumberjack. It is National Paul Bunyan Day! Described as a giant and a lumberjack of unusual skill, Paul Bunyan is one of the most famous North American folklore heroes.

#NationalPaulBunyanDay
First appearing in print in 1906, in a story published by Northern Michigan journalist James MacGillivray, Bunyan’s character originated in folktales circulated among lumberjacks in the Northeastern United States and Eastern Canada. One account states that the tales began during the Papineau Rebellion of 1837. In 1914, William Laughhead reworked the stories for a logging company’s advertising campaign. The campaign breathed new life into the growing legendary character of Paul Bunyan. It was the 1922 edition of Laughead’s tales that inspired many others and soon the character's plaid shirt and far-fetched characteristics spread across all of the United States and Canada.
Many cities in the north-central section of the United States, claim the title as the official home of Paul Bunyan. So much so, they have giant Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox statues that pay tribute to the folklore hero. Towns host a variety of annual events that center around Paul Bunyan.

Paul Bunyan Festivals in the U.S.

Every year the town of Oscoda, MI hosts the Paul Bunyan Days Annual Festival in September.
Paul Bunyan Logging Show is also held in St. Maries, Idaho, in September.
Paul Bunyan Fest takes place in Eagle River, Wisconsin, in June.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #5755 on: June 28, 2024, 05:54:02 AM »

...Everyone !

Currently: 70F  sunny , High  91F    mostly sunny,  with  Low 70F

Thanks everyone for thinking of Dad yesterday.  :-*   I miss him  so much.

CLynn thank you so much for sharing your MIL's recipe. I showed it to Jim and got a 'What are you waiting for?" look.
So I printed it out. The Munchkins look great---Talon at his laptop and Bella scooping out the cookies and posing in her graphic bucket hat.
Really like the drift wood and bottle caps . Very sorry about your {{{aunts Linda and June}}}} sending prayers for three sisters.
Pretty  nifty handy get -around device.   Richmond and Rosie's new nest---agree.

Karen :-*

Tsk another pretty  monarch ; Lillian Vernon catalog, I loved those too---left Missouri and moved here never got them
anymore. But,
https://www.lillianvernon.com
/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=search&code=21JAOGBD&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwvvmzBhA2EiwAtHVrb9Jl-tRfPd3evttd5zRouTp8I83HB7T6cIMTs7b_W6yyKf4olljXKxoCTEwQAvD_BwE

Lisa pretty cup of coffee yesterday AM; Bandit and Ms. Misty are behaving ?

Lani thanks for the' Willie and Millie' update little Ama looks  good; hope everyone is doing well these days

{{{Lori}}} nice post for  JP’s  'Heavenly' birthday.

Prayers for:  The Beakroom and Cheers.; Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people. 
 'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere .
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 11:36:49 AM by Phyl »

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #5756 on: June 28, 2024, 05:56:44 AM »

Cane Ridge Bluebirds, Cane Ridge, Tennessee June 2024

2nd clutch or brood  from May season; Thursday, June 13th
At 7:31 AM on feeder pole, L to R, CR#69, Dad and CR#72.

Wednesday, June 12th, CR #71 at 10:38 AM

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #5757 on: June 28, 2024, 05:58:42 AM »

Wednesday, June  12th 11AM
CR #73 is the most shy.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 06:00:48 AM by Phyl »

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #5758 on: June 28, 2024, 06:00:07 AM »

Wednesday  June 12th 11AM
Mom on a 'nest break' with her chicks, CR #s 72 and 71.

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #5759 on: June 28, 2024, 06:03:27 AM »

Thursday, June 27, 2024     about  6:15am

Went downstairs to the kitchen for a cup of that wonderful black hot liquid---coffee.
And, was greeted by Dad Bluebird and two of his chicks perched on the back of Jim's chair looking thru
the glass doors into the house.
(Another great moment not captured by me! If only I'd brought the iPhone with me.---duh!)

They stayed for a while until I walked closer to the glass. Poof! The 'kids' were gone.
Dad remained just for a few seconds and took flight himself.

I am flabbergasted --gobsmacked that our wildlife communicates and interacts with me----reaches out to us.
Jim and I are making every effort  learning  how to 'read'  these birds.
This adventure never gets old and is always full of surprises.

#Istandwith Evan