Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 544908 times)

bggolden

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #570 on: January 16, 2024, 03:41:24 PM »

LANI----Hope you are having a Wonderful Birthday.  Bev

LisaG1967

« Reply #571 on: January 16, 2024, 04:27:11 PM »

jilltosa - I live on a no outlet street too, and the plow job in your pic looks almost like they do my street, except the plow usually is like a wall at the end of your drive.  And, when we go out and remove it, they come back and make another wall. 

karen - I don't think our snow on this side of the bridge was quite as bad as the other side. 

Puff

« Reply #572 on: January 16, 2024, 04:29:16 PM »

Ah yes, the saga of the pipes. . .

First, tsk Most of my pipes are well into the rooms of the house or walls insulated/protected.  Kitchen wall has 5 ft (?) small passway for fridge/icemaker and one short dishwasher feed.  That leaves kitchen sink set in about 1 foot from wall.  That's the one that calls for the open cabinet for sure.

Water problems have been an issue from the start.  About 5 years into the house foundation small cracks/problems would cause inch or so of water to flood 3 or 4 areas of the downstairs level.  Cracks tended to get worse.  I'm guessing about 8 times we had to do the shop vac, beach towels, squeegy routine.  Not all that easy on the bad knees and backs as we got older.  Other problem was Ton's room with the carpet down there.  That room required pulling up part of rug and also removing paneling where crack was.  (Or, as the professionals called it a settling fissure).  But they sure knew what in the ell they were doing.  In less than an hour they chipped out the crackes, prepared the seams, and took 3 swipes at filling each of the areas a little at a time.  I very highly recommend the company and technique.  Just like that - 1 hour, $600, no more of that crazy/hard cleanup.

U. S. Waterproofing!  I don't know if they're all over the US.

Only water is the lower level this time was a tad bit with a new higher up small start.  The issue was that a drainage water pump got clogged up and froze because of the water in the outside drainage setup.  We did have rain about 2 weeks ago.  Water from pump drainage and roof fall-off was being sent thru a 1" pipe into a 2" drain to the yard.  The fellow today found a crack in the 1" that started the stopage, which led to a backup, which led to freezing, leading to blockage that dripped water in a circle motion out to the foundation ground and back into the pump.  Pump then was going on for 15 sec and off for 30 sec routine.  I didn't know anything.  Even to shower I'd look around to the back room and didn't see, or hear, anything.  Until I went in bedroom upstairs to watch Bulls game!  Oh God NO!  Hard to sleep when you can hear and count the seconds between cycles.

Calling around til about 8 o'clock all I got was answering machines.  Finally one of our plumbers said he'd get someone for 8 in the morning.  Because of the  weather, time of day, lack of water, and plumbers on serious all day work/disasters, I said sure.

Damages: Re-ran new outside run-off setting.  When pipes thaw and ground thaws it will be reworked.

He also told me I don't have two pumps in the "hole".  I have 3.  Why would there be 3 is the question.  Tony is the only one with a for sure answer.  :-\  And, he said one is an alarm pump that signals when it is malfunctioning.  Yeah?  That one has been ruined by me because he liked it when I didn't asked things (judged, questioned).  So because I didn't check the water level -- I killed the battery.

New battery was the bigger amount of the bill.  If I don't want to worry about the water in pump #3 - I can now buy pumps that don't require but maybe one check-up a year.  $365 for battery I have now.  $2,000 for low maintenance battery.  Duh - let me think.   :D

I now have to talk to neighbor to explain pipe laying into his yard is temporary.

I know for sure plumber is tired to the core so I won't complain about my own last 24 hours.  Can you imagine -- all the problems, all the cold, long hours.  He has had a whole lot worse day than I.

P         

oldguy

« Reply #573 on: January 16, 2024, 04:32:18 PM »

Happy Birthday Lani

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

BrokenLug

« Reply #574 on: January 16, 2024, 04:35:33 PM »

Lani Happy Birthday to you. I hope you had a great day !

Pip & I are going to send over a few guys to do a little B-Day dance for you tonight.
I hope Mike doesn't mind.    :)    ;)
U. S. A.

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #575 on: January 16, 2024, 05:00:22 PM »

Lani, hope you are having a nice birthday! Love the picture of the little 7 year old sweetie! Was it your birthday when the picture was taken?

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=hawiian+birthday+dance&mid=7A4EFA875BC47EFDA8F17A4EFA875BC47EFDA8F1&FORM=VIRE

BL, I would love to supervise Lani while she watches those guys dance!!!

oldguy, lovely goodies for Lani!

Puff, what an ordeal....

Lori, the lemon blueberry cake looks so good! You find the most delicious looking food!

Phyl, Lisa and any others that don't usually get much snow, this storm was a doozy!

Glad I wasn't here for this one, oldguy probably remembers...
The April 1973 snowstorm was a severe weather event that affected several states in the US, including Iowa. The storm was dubbed as Iowa’s ‘worst spring storm in at least 80 years’ by the Des Moines Register and Tribune1. The blizzard raged over parts of eastern Iowa and southern Wisconsin on April 8th and 9th of 1973. It brought heavy snowfall, coupled with 50 to 70 mph winds, which completely shut down traffic. Plows had been dismantled and the intense snowfall and winds caught everyone by surprise. More than 18 inches of snow fell in some parts of Iowa, with winds reaching 65 mph1. The early April 1973 blizzard left more than a dozen Iowans dead and killed countless livestock. Some parts of Iowa saw drifts as tall as 16 feet1. The storm’s toll was huge, 14 Iowans died in the blizzard.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

oldguy

« Reply #576 on: January 16, 2024, 05:25:09 PM »

Clynn - I was attending the U of Ia at that time.  The storm hit on the weekend, when everyone was returning to town after spring break.  The University shut down for 2 days - the first weather related class closure ever.  Not because of students not in town, but because the faculty and staff could not make it back to town.  I spent 2 days with a snow shovel at the east side dorms to get vehicles unstuck.  We had 14 inches of wet heavy snow.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #577 on: January 16, 2024, 06:12:29 PM »

bounce

Puff... so sorry. Luckily, we live atop a hill, and know nothing of pumps of drains.

Jilltosa... the snowplow gathers snow for 80 feet (of the next door yard) before it dumps into our driveway. I can relate.

BL ... LOL

SED
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

karengramke

« Reply #578 on: January 16, 2024, 08:02:03 PM »

Lol Clynn and Old guy!   I think that was the storm that hit Chicago on April 10 th!   The snow was piled up in my drive way like that in Jiltosas picture and I got my car stuck!   Had been to a late night meeting in Indiana  and did not know this had occurred!   Melted very fast.
Bl, you and Pip  are a riot!
Puff, I hope you are in bed and sleeping!  An ordeal for sure!
Eagleshope you had a nice visit with sil and fiancee!
Seds

BrokenLug

« Reply #579 on: January 16, 2024, 09:10:44 PM »

Lani, hope you are having a nice birthday! Love the picture of the little 7 year old sweetie! Was it your birthday when the picture was taken?
BL, I would love to supervise Lani while she watches those guys dance _
Sorry Clynn these guys cost a fortune, a 1 time showing only for the B-Day Girl.   :)
We'll send some hippies like us your way when it's your day. Stay toasty,  ;)
~  Glad I wasn't here for this one, oldguy probably remembers...
The April 1973 snowstorm was a severe weather event that affected several states in the US, including Iowa. The storm was dubbed as Iowa’s ‘worst spring storm in at least 80 years’ by the Des Moines Register and Tribune1. The blizzard raged over parts of eastern Iowa and southern Wisconsin on April 8th and 9th of 1973. It brought heavy snowfall, coupled with 50 to 70 mph winds, which completely shut down traffic. Plows had been dismantled and the intense snowfall and winds caught everyone by surprise. More than 18 inches of snow fell in some parts of Iowa, with winds reaching 65 mph1. The early April 1973 blizzard left more than a dozen Iowans dead and killed countless livestock. Some parts of Iowa saw drifts as tall as 16 feet1. The storm’s toll was huge, 14 Iowans died in the blizzard.

That April 8 - 9 1973 Iowa Blizzard looks and reads absolutely like a humdinger Clynn and og.

I do appreciate the advances in winter weather prognostication more now than 50 years ago.  8)   

Not an exact science I get it.

It is not a quick spin up Tornado.
That Storm it's a coming put the plows back on. 2024.  ;)

I can see from what I read why you both remembered that storm.   :o

It is a stern stark hard cold hard fact reminder that cold harsh winter weather like this around the country does take peeps.  :(

If you are able check in on human beings do so you are their bomb.   8)

U. S. A.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 07:06:07 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #580 on: January 16, 2024, 09:51:21 PM »

Can I be the first, Lani?  Hauʻoli Lā Hānau

Enjoy your special day, ENJOY!

P

Mahalo Puff  :-*
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #581 on: January 16, 2024, 10:19:57 PM »

OG -Good plan on only making a little path through the snow as needed!
Lani - I hope you had a beautiful birthday as you so deserve! :-* :)   My mom is doing good, although has some aches & pains.    Such a cute, sweet picture of you - thank you!! :-*
Tig - We were up really late too, but not watching tennis! Lol  ;D  Hope tennis was good for you & Baz!
Tsk - Love the Disney birthday post for Lani. :)   SIL should have flown back to CO on Saturday, but finally today, their flight didn't cancel out on them!
Clynn - Your Sophie & Sam are so precious!  That is wonderful that you don't mind the drive to your Mom's and it sure sounds like a great & much needed trip for you!! :)   Amazing photo of the ship coming into Duluth MN!
Puff - Hope your Plumber came and was able to help you!
LisaG - I love your snow pictures!
Hi Kb  :)
Jilltosa - So happy you saw your birthday wishes & treats here in the Beak!  Always wonderful to see you!! ;D
Phyl - Beautiful view from your front porch - really gorgeous!!  Like the female cardinal! :)  Nice to see the kids having fun in the snow!
Karen - Good for you in protecting your Plants from freezing! You & Piper stay warm!
Paulie - Great to see you!  :)
Bggolden - Nice to see you!  :)
OG - Perfect birthday post for Lani  :)
BL - Lol! Dancers for Lani! ;D
Lori - Cute birthday post and yummy cake for Lani!

Beakers have a good evening - stay safe.

Lani

« Reply #582 on: January 16, 2024, 11:25:58 PM »

And. . .I didn't forget Lani.  I'm always johnny-come-lately.  No bragging or trying to win an award - just sitting up now since 4 waiting for something good to fall into place. 

With all the island greetings, flowers, and yummy calories Lani has to have got the feelings of good cheer from us all.  Either that or we're envious and wish we could be back there.

Time for another tea - and a bit more waiting.

P

{{{Puff}}} thank you for the island greetings, I feel everyone's good wishes and aloha! I'm envious, I wish I could be with you, sitting and enjoying a cup of tea and watching your birds enjoying their feeder.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #583 on: January 16, 2024, 11:28:28 PM »

Happy Bird Day, Lani - I hope your day is Splendid!

I can imagine you being this little girl in another lifetime:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1746687415434035211

Looks pretty,Phyl - I know however, looks can be deceiving!.

Happy Cold Tuesday all.

Kb, that is the sweetest little girl serenading the cows.  ;D  :-*

Lani

« Reply #584 on: January 16, 2024, 11:39:37 PM »

Happy Birthday, Dear Lani. I hope you enjoy your special day.  :)

{{{Paulie}}} Thank you, I did have a lovely day with Mike, our pup Sadie and two cats Milo and Norman.  ;D