Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 545060 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #600 on: January 17, 2024, 08:36:25 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Puff - What an ordeal with the pipes!

clynn - Oh my goodness, the snow from 1973.  My brother was born Feb 8, 1973, and it happened to snow in New Orleans that day.  The first time I had ever seen snow in the South, and what fun it was as a kid playing in it.

E4E - Thanks for the kind words on the snow pics.  Glad to read that your SIL made her flight. 

Lani - Sounds like you had a nice birthday.  Yep, just a lil snow, but I see more may come Friday.

Phyl - We are finally seeing sun today.  Yesterday was so gloomy  How are the roads and streets in your area and around Nashville?  Is everything closed down?  We are currently at 20°, but real feel is 8°.

clynn - LOL, done with your one day free trial of Alaska!  That cream cheese frosting sounds good.  I love old recipes and cookbooks.

jilltosa:-\ 

tsk - Yummy looking morning greeting.

kb - Morning  :)

karengramke

« Reply #601 on: January 17, 2024, 08:50:05 AM »

25 degrees now!   Slight wavrm up Thursday and Friday  followed by a cold weekend and then, some days back to highs in the low z70s!   Quick 50 xdegre swings in temperatures are something!  Not cold by everyone’s  experience but Piper says it is cold running out to the out house!   Pedicure this afternoon and return a script to Publix that was filled in error!   Then home.  Interview the house keeper this afternoon who had to reschedule!
Plants look okay thru the  plastic.  Will see next week!
Busy eating Tsks  pancakes!

karengramke

« Reply #602 on: January 17, 2024, 11:14:40 AM »

Clynn, is your eye appointment today ir tomorrow?  Think itis soon.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #603 on: January 17, 2024, 11:24:22 AM »

Royal Albatross cam -
1/17  Welcome little Albatross chick!

The first chick of the season has hatched belonging to first time breeders GBL and BYW. Congratulations, and to the Rangers too.

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Karen... brrrr, stay warm today... good luck with interview.

Lisa, WOW! so you experienced some of that 1973 snow in New Orleans.

Kb, love the Tigers! I think that is his happy face.  8)

Tsk, it's pancake here too!  ;D

{{{Jilltosa}}}

Clynn, pretty morning pics... yes, that's the camera. We never had one.

Phyl, thanks for nature video and new Update on Iceland.

Puff ;D

BL, Van Morrison!  8)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #604 on: January 17, 2024, 11:43:27 AM »

Good morning Beakers!

Puff - At least you know what the status is with your pipes, as you described the problems really well. Good for you in how you are taking care. I know it must be tough without Ton to look into these situations. {{{Puff}}}    Yaaay- double digit (plus side)temp for you today! :)
Clynn - Terrible winter storm back in April of '73 - that picture sure speaks volumes of the devastation.
OG - You were so kind to help with getting vehicles unstuck out of the snow during that time.
Tig - Frustrating for the snowplow dumping in your driveway. Seems like there would have to be a better way!
Karen - Yes we did have a nice visit with SIL when they stayed here again the other evening.  They are safely back in CO!
Lani - So happy that you had a beautiful birthday with Mike, Sadie, Milo & Norman  :-* ;D   Love the story you told Oldguy about "slippas"! ;D
BL - Van Morrison  :)
Phyl - Low temps!  My cousin who lives in TN had told my mom about all the snow they received a few days ago!

I had a 'bone density' scan early this morning, and now I need to head out soon for my orthodontic appt.   Beakers have a safe, warm day. Hugs for All  :) 

jilltosa

« Reply #605 on: January 17, 2024, 12:15:38 PM »

TSK I don't mind shoveling the fluffy snow; I limit my time and go out several times. I told my PCP that it is exercise. Our three snows last week were not fluffy ones! The last one I could not handle so I called the landscape people to do it. I did have some neighbors who did my front walk: they were a nearly 10-year-old girl, her nearly 7-year-old brother, and their nearly 10-year-old friend, a boy. I asked them if it was too heavy but they wanted to do it!!! A couple of days earlier, when I was shoveling a bit at the end of my driveway a young man from across the street, at the end of the cul de sac did walk all the way and said he saw me shoveling and wanted to help. (The man directly across the street was shoveling in the street.) As far as my neighbors across my driveway side of the street: they and I have different views about how the plowing should be done -- one even told me, rather vehemently, that snow should be plowed to my side "because I do not have a car." (That was the person who had been shoveling in the street.) I feel that the taxes I pay entitle me to the same city services my neighbors get. For decades it has not happened; after the alder became involved (and even told me plowing was not acceptable) about 3 years ago, it has become even more blatant! Saturday, after the snow stopped, the city did curb-t0-curb plowing first and many hours later they did a complete "rearrangement" of one hugh pile in the yard where 102nd "does not go through" (I did not take any photos either time because I did not think that would be a smart move). I could tell it was being done by someone "very senior." He re-piled much of the snow in my yard, at the corner, and pushed more into my yard along the side but at the driveway, he made sure no plowed snow would have to be shoveled! He pulled that snow into the street and then plowed it up in the yard at the corner of the driveway/curb. (When it is warmer I will have to go out with my camera!) The neighbors across the street may have been verbally told to expect a different plowing pattern in the future. We will see!!!

Puff

« Reply #606 on: January 17, 2024, 12:40:42 PM »

Good Morning Beakers!

I've been "North to Alaska" even in Feb/Mar and can honestly say I never faced anything like we had these last few days.  The cold was the worst!

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #607 on: January 17, 2024, 12:51:28 PM »

KB   "say cheese"  LOL

KAREN   Busy day for you today. Good luck with interview.  Where is your source for these girls?

LANI   Awww   first time breeders, successful.  Now the hard part.   ;)

CLYNN  Meant to comment earlier about that cute ellie and ostrich.  Also the recipes - bet from a church cookbook.  I have mine from my church from the 70's!!

EAGLES   Good luck on the bone density!

JILLTOSA  I'm happy to see there are neighbors who will help  :-*

PUFF   I think it has been colder and for longer periods in some winters that I remember.
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #608 on: January 17, 2024, 01:37:17 PM »

tsk Oh yeah - I remember one about 2 weeks long.  But what I recall also/too is the worst snow.  Not so much wind and freezing cold, but lots of snow.  That pic posted reminded me of Lake Shore Drive in 1967.  Short version, 23" inches in 15 hours, Jan 26 - Jan 27.  That's when I lived in the Chgo.  Closed down almost 2 weeks.  Residents, as I recall because their priority was LSD and almost 10 days to open major roads.  Mostly the people did side roads and sidewalks.

Then there's my side story. . .

Dec 26? 27? I flew up to secret marriage with Mike who was stationed up there in AFB, since abandoned and I forget the name.  Big plan was to marry and I'd get $$$ as spouse to help pay for our wedding planned for 1968.  Two Harbors 1/29/66 married, 12/31/66 accident by Canadian border, me broken ribs and splattered with lots of black & blue, VW totaled by a pack of wild dogs.  We got clearance in Jan to leave, for Mike to fly back with me and take care of issues here.  Two week special leave.  He, my brothers, and dad took care of the snow duty.

He notified my parents of what happened, but when Mom couldn't find me to talk to me she panicked because she couldn't/didn't talk to me because she thought I was dead.  So Mike called her and gave mom/dad all the facts even about our marriage.

While I was healing, the record snow started.  Entire metro area stopped!!!!

They cancelled/recalled Mike from his leave.  In '75 he took leave from me.    :-\

Biggest snow resulted in big story.  Sorry

P
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 01:41:05 PM by Puff »

kbshcb

« Reply #609 on: January 17, 2024, 02:04:54 PM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1747555938792329341

Haha. When the children are handed over to the father!

Cause, I got nothing else LOL, but a winter theme.

BrokenLug

« Reply #610 on: January 17, 2024, 02:13:54 PM »

That's absolutely hysterical kb.   :)

A lot of snow in a lot of places that don't see a lot of snow ..

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc1.html
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 02:15:26 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

LisaG1967

« Reply #611 on: January 17, 2024, 03:57:36 PM »

karen - I know if Mama is freezing, you must be freezing.  Hope your plants survived. 

Lani - I have a pic in the attic of that snow in 1973.  It wasn't alot, but it was enough to make us kids who have never seen snow before happy.   :)  Awww, a new Royal baby!!

E4E - Hope all went well with your bone density, and orthodontist appointments.

jilltosa - I am glad to hear that you had some help to shovel.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #612 on: January 17, 2024, 06:25:12 PM »

PUFF   I wasn't living here in '67 but see those pics on FB every winter  LOL.  I think I'm remembering the '73 storm.  Wasn't that the one the got Jane Byrne hired as mayor?  I may have dates wrong.     Loved your postscript to the '67 snowstorm  LOL

KB   Hmmm  Not sure I could agree with the kid toss.. ???
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #613 on: January 17, 2024, 07:10:09 PM »

Yeah, tsk  I know it was after I moved out here ('71).  That was more of a stormy snow.  '66 was quiet and big flakes and not icy?  Probably '73.

P

oldguy

« Reply #614 on: January 17, 2024, 10:27:32 PM »

Good Evening Beakers

A photo from this week in Iowa

Radar is showing some light snow in the area - not sure it is getting to the ground though.  It got up to 20 today with some sun.  Tomorrow is back to cloudy and chance of 1-3 inches of snow with high of 15.  The roads lost most of the ice cover around town.

Back to work in the morning - we got about 90 snow shovels in on Tue. morning - most of the were gone by 3pm when I left.  More snow blowers were expected to arrive today.  We did get restocked on ice melt - so good stock for tomorrow's snow.

Maru went for a walk at a nearby shrine   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fuNYt0gjzQ

Looking Back at the Good and Bad with My Cats (ENG SUB)   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SsxWbgjbds

Quarantine Kids play "Shame on the Moon"   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2NDTUHvBbc
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah