Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 326080 times)

karengramke

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #5655 on: June 24, 2024, 09:21:47 AM »

Tsk, several questions!  Numero uno, what is the purple flower in your pot?  Second, how much waTer do you put them in!  Number 3, why can’t you leave them on the mikjweed!  Maybe cuz birds eat
them?  Do you think the extreme heat and lack of water in Mexico has influenced the migration?

LisaG1967

« Reply #5656 on: June 24, 2024, 10:36:15 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Had to take Jeff for an eye appt at 9:15am, and we would made it back across the bridge before they are to shut it down to let the Dali go under.  They are stopping traffic both ways on bridge.  I'm guessing they don't want to take any chances that it might lose power again.   :-\

Here she comes...it's a beautiful day on the Bay!

tsk - Thank you for the egg to release lesson.  :D  Your flowers are so pretty. 

kb - Beautiful lion. 

Puff - What is happening at Hatchery Nest Chat?  The Decorah chat mods helped out at the Decorah North chat this season, since there was no eagle season.  They did have a few flash chats when the eagles and geese showed up. 

Phyl - That edible arrangement looks delicious!

karen - Thanks for your kind words on my morning pics. 

clynn - You are right, when we were younger never thought about heat. 

Lani - Such a cute good night pup. 

baz - Waving to ya!

karengramke

« Reply #5657 on: June 24, 2024, 11:06:54 AM »

Lisa, just read the Dali is going to Virginia!  Many shipyards in the Norfolk area!   It is a pretty day!
Tsk, never  mind answering where akl tge butterflies are!  Did I a quick google and a ton of articles popped  up allegedly agreeing we have  wiped out or are on the way to wiping out a ton of insects and wild life!  They say that mosquitos .
roach, rats and. Raccoons are thriving!   Iguess, all in our search for a perfect world!
I had a fair number if butterflies kast year but none this year!  No hummers!  May have put the food out late but will keepit going!
Wonder what the lizards and tge birds are eating?  No tree frogs seen so far!   Sad

« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 11:10:51 AM by karengramke »

kbshcb

« Reply #5658 on: June 24, 2024, 11:15:50 AM »

Lisa - so interesting about the Dali....I searched you tube and googled it for a video update but nothing recent. I have to tell you I'm surprised. In that I thought they might unload all that cargo before setting sail again. Seems they must have fixed her enough to move her as is..

Know what the plans are after heading under your bridge?

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5659 on: June 24, 2024, 11:52:02 AM »

📺 SLOTH TV
🦥Sloth Preschool Update:

NEW ARRIVALS

Bonnie, 2F sloth: Bonnie arrived to us alongside Clyde, both newborns brought to MINAE Guapiles office. Bonnie’s story is missing a lot of details and we do not have much to share other than she is as newborn as they come. We have noticed some irregularities on her x-rays so we will be closely monitoring her development but for now her behavior is indicating stable health. This little one has a reserved prognosis at this time.
Clyde, 2F sloth: Clyde arrived to us alongside Bonnie, both newborns brought to MINAE Guapiles office. Clyde was found alone, on the ground for 4 days before neighbors intervened. Good-intending locals tried feeding him cow’s milk before surrending him to MINAE, so he has had some digestive issues but so far has been stable. Still, due to his tiny size he has a reserved prognosis at this time.
TayTay, 2F sloth: Our neighbors in Sarapiquí, Costa Rica, found TayTay after her mother was tragically killed in a domestic dog attack. She had miraculously survived unscathed. She is stable aside from some mild digestive issues we have been treating. Still, she has a reserved prognosis at this time.

Waylon, 3F sloth: Waylon’s condition is steadily improving! He no longer needs daily nebulization treatments and his appetite is increasing. He has even started eating leaves like a big sloth! Despite his progress, Waylon still has a reserved prognosis due to his fragile state.
Wyatt, 2F sloth: Wyatt is doing great! He is healthy and recently hit his goal weight, so he will soon be graduating to Sloth Elementary!
Beanie, 2F sloth: Beanie is growing well and has begun transitioning onto the diet we provide our Sanctuary sloths. She is nearly ready to graduate to Sloth Elementary, but we want her fully transitioned to a captive diet before we move her.
Fiesta, 2F sloth: Despite some irregular bowel movements, Fiesta is doing well! She is stable and enjoys spending time with her Sloth Elementary classmates
Bruno, 2F sloth: Bruno is also officially out of the incubator at night! He is growing well and has been maintaining a healthy apetite. He is stable at this time.
Tulip, 2F sloth: Tulip is happy, healthy, and progressing quickly. At the rate she is growing, she will soon be ready to graduate to Sloth Elementary!
Nevada, 2F sloth: Nevada is sassy as ever and growing quickly. She has been maintaining regular bowel movements once again and eating well.
Pixie, 2F sloth: Pixie is growing fast! She is starting to develop a feisty attitude and we suspect she has been influenced by her big sister Nevada. We are proud of her progress, but she is still spending her nights in an incubator and remains with a reserved prognosis until she gets bigger.

🌳Sloth Elementary / High School Update:

Rose, 2F sloth: Rose is doing well, but has had some nasal secretions. Currently receiving preventative nebulization treatments until that has cleared up. She is otherwise healthy and active.
JJ, 2F sloth: JJ has had some nasal secretions but is otherwise healthy. He is receiving preventative nebulization treatments until this clears up. As one of our most needy juvenile sloths, we are working on getting him more independent from humans.
Mimi, 2F sloth: Mimi is doing great! She is healthy, active, and growing fast.
Moose, 2F sloth: Moose has hit a stagnant period in his weight gain. Due to this, we have delayed his weaning process to get him back on track with extra feedings. Otherwise he is stable and active.
Grover, 2F sloth: Grover’s nebulization treatments have suspended and he is doing much better. He is progressing well in his weaning process and spending days in an outdoor enclosure.
Phoenix, 2F sloth: Phoenix has been fully weaned off smoothie! He is spending longer periods of time in an outdoor enclosure, gaining independence, and maintaining a healthy appetite towards his leaves.
Binx, 2F sloth: Binx was weaned off smoothie! She is spending more time outside, but we are still working on her independence. In the meantime, she is sharing an enclosure with Phoenix until she is confident enough to be alone.

🎓Sloth University Update:

Marina, 3F sloth: Marina is gaining confidence and navigating the branches of her prerelease enclosure with ease. We are confident that this little lady will make a great release candidate in the near future!
Natalia, 3F sloth: Independent Natalia loves her large prerelease enclosure where she has all the fresh leaves she can eat. She will soon be ready for release!
Myrtle, 2F sloth: We have amazing news about Myrtle: her supportive treatments will end on Friday!! That means this growing girl is anemia-free and ready to continue her rehabilitation journey! For the next 1-2 months our amazing Release Site Vet will monitor her closely for any reappearance of anemia symptoms, and if all goes well, she will be next up for rewilding.
Ken, 2F sloth: Ken is doing great in a much larger enclosure! He is spending more time climbing and has been enjoying a varied diet of fresh leaves.
Roo, 2F sloth: Roo is making great progress! He is maintaining a healthy appetite and is more active than ever.

Waylon
  :-*

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Lisa, Ezee, Eburg, Weasel, Jilltosa, Kb, Tsk, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Eagles, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, BL, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Clynn, Cute morning pics..... It's still Home Sweet Home for the DN eaglets  :-* ... it just fills my heart to see Iris with a faithful mate and being a mom, the nest is filled with life. These past vacant summers are far behind.  :-*

Karen, Terrible humidity in your corner of the world. It's 48% here.... Also, you reminded me, I need to wash a few rugs too.... good questions for Tsk.

Phyl, I had no idea bats could be noisy.  ??? ... love the fruit displays/basket. Reminds me, I need to cut the watermelon Mike bought yesterday.

Kb, The magnificent King! Terrible weather heading your way. Take care.

Tsk, thanks for info! Gorgeous Monarchs and flowers.  :-*

Puff Is there anything about the chats on the RRP blog?

Lisa. I hope Jeff's appt went well... WOW! The Dali is moving with same cargo again. Safe travels for them.  🙏

🥀In Loving Memory:  🙏  😢

Elmo, 2F sloth:
We are all absolutely devastated to announce that our beloved Elmo has passed away. We observed nasal secretions and breathing issues late last week and immediately started him on nebulization treatments. Since his arrival, Elmo had lung issues and developed pneumonia several times before, especially as a baby. These repeated infections caused a chronic condition called lung fibrosis, which left his lungs weakened and scarred, and caused him to be more susceptible to infections. Sadly, this particular infection was too much for his already weakened lungs to overcome. He passed in his sleep three days after we began treatments. The quick progression of his illness and his subsequent passing has rocked our care staff; we are grieving along with you at this tragic news.

Sweet Elmo, rip little one, please say hello to Robin and Reggie   😢
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #5660 on: June 24, 2024, 11:55:38 AM »

Ugg, the Rapidan dam near Mankato, MN....is in imminent danger of collapse...the Blue Earth River me thinks.
https://x.com/NickLewis37/status/1805252869836189803

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5661 on: June 24, 2024, 12:10:58 PM »

Brown Bear Cam of Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska was back online June 20th!. Live cam   https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

🚨 CHUNK ALERT! CHUNK ALERT! First bear to show up!! 🚨 Our cam crew at Brooks Camp got to witness the grand entrance of bear 32 Chunk June 13th! Our bear cams are going live soon and Chunk is making sure he is front and center in the limelight. Who will show up next?!
Video by Brian Byrd.
https://x.com/i/status/1801343539831304692

151 Walker has salad for breakfast BF Jun 24 2024 explore.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMZhXzI11U&t=1s

Guess who just checked into camp?  The one and only 747 "Colbert 'Bear Force One"  Photo taken by Ranger Chris.

For the first time an eagle's nest within view, one of the adults feeding two eaglets :-*

« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 12:12:31 PM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

LisaG1967

« Reply #5662 on: June 24, 2024, 12:16:33 PM »

karen - It is a beautiful day on the Bay for the Dali to make its way out of here!

kb - They said on the news that it was headed to a port in Virginia to be repaired, so then it can go back to its home port.

Lani - Awww, so sorry to hear about lil Elmo!  Jeff's appt went well.  He got a new script for his glasses. 

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #5663 on: June 24, 2024, 12:20:58 PM »

bounce

KB... talons crossed re: Mankato! The Dali is headed to Norfolk for repair and possible off load of cargo to another company ship? Here's an article: https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/06/24/dali-departs-baltimore-bridge-collapse/

I removed the deer/rabbit fence and did some weeding before the temp. got to 80 degrees in this 54% humidity weather (so far). (After the pool)

Thanx for great posts all...

Here are a couple of detail shots I took, for your enjoyment...
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

oldguy

« Reply #5664 on: June 24, 2024, 12:29:15 PM »

The dam has failed...
Rapidan Dam in southern Minnesota fails, prompting flash flood warning   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ySM1CvogFg
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

kbshcb

« Reply #5665 on: June 24, 2024, 12:30:15 PM »

thanks, tig - the Rapidan dam did fail...

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5666 on: June 24, 2024, 12:38:11 PM »

KB  EEEK!  Time will tell weatherwise.

KAREN   1.  petunia   2.  If you mean the milkweed leaves?  I clip the leaf close to the stem.  Then I cut a slit on either side of the stem ( and the long way through the stem) so I have enough stem to put in a small plastic Ziplock container filled with water, with a hole cut in the top to keep the leaf alive.  3. Very seldom do I ever see a caterpillar make it to chrysalis on a leaf.  My niece watched one religiously on her milkweed for days.  Then it was gone!  It always makes me wonder how ever do they make it through the whole cycle in the wild.
Was talking to my butterfly friend and asked her the same question and we could only guess.

LISA  A switch to roses this AM  ;)  So where is the Dali going??  Smart move to have the bridge empty!!!  Never mind  I see Karen answered where the Dali was going.

LANI  Thanks for sloth update.  Oh must be so hard with those very new "newborns"  Bonnie and Clyde.  I love all the names  ;D
Aww RIP little Elmo.   " Bear Force one"  LOL  Love their names as well.  " Chunk"   ;D
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #5667 on: June 24, 2024, 02:43:01 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iwt0gVymrM

Video of the Dali leaving Port Baltimore....she has a tarp on the front of her..

Stay sky aware Minnesotans and Wisconsinites.....enhanced risk now...I guess Reed did know what he was talking about, LOL

karengramke

« Reply #5668 on: June 24, 2024, 03:42:09 PM »

Ot just left.  Pt tomorrow .  Garbage to the street in a few!   Poor Elmo!  Rip bany!   Good reports today Lani!

LisaG1967

« Reply #5669 on: June 24, 2024, 04:54:50 PM »

kb - Yikes on the dam!  The tarp on the front of Dali is where the bridge fell on it, and there is like a big hole/opening there.

Lani - Thanks for the Brown Bear Cam of Brooks Falls post and pics.  The bears are lookin' good, and WOW that eagles nest.   

tig - Pretty flowers. 

oldguy - Oh no! 

tsk - Roses were a pretty color this morning on my find.  ;)

karen - Hope OT was good today, and PT will be tomorrow, too. 

Good night, everyone  :)