Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 326817 times)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #5235 on: June 08, 2024, 09:46:34 PM »

Happy Day, Beakers!  :)

I walked 29 minutes this morning... I didn't walk the 2 days before.  ::)

Did I mention last week? I don't think I did... A funny thing happened on my way to the recycling center...  I was taking a shortcut through the neighborhood across the main road from my townhouse development, on my way to the recycling center. That lets me avoid a major traffic road and 2 stoplights. It's the neighborhood I often walk through. Anyway, as I was turning to exit the neighborhood along the way, I saw a rather large turtle in the middle of the road, heading, very slowly, to cross it. This would not do. Too many cars come through there since it is a connector to another high-traffic road. I stopped my car in the middle of my side of the road so no other cars could get around me and hit the turtle, and I got out to move the turtle out of the road. I had learned that when doing so, to move them off the road to the side of the road it was heading to... otherwise, it will just get back in the road to try again to go in the direction it had been heading. I didn't realize, till I had gotten out of my car and walked closer to it, that it was a large, but not giant, snapping turtle! I hadn't seen one nearby in a while, and I was actually very happy to know they were still in the neighborhood. I definitely wanted to help this one out of harm's way, but I know about snapping turtles, and they can be quite daunting! Not to mention nothing you want to be able to get a hold of you! It was big, but not too big for me to be able to pick up and move, though I knew it would be heavy... and I knew it would be PISSED to get messed with!! LOL! And I did NOT want it to be able to reach me with its long whip of a strong tail, or its very long neck, attached to a massive set of strong jaws that... SNAP! Their neck reaches way farther out than your average turtle. LOL. And that set of jaws is nothing to mess with. I wanted to keep all of my fingers, fractured, sprained, or not. So I got my courage up, made my plan of where on his body to get a nice firm grip, and where I would be quickly moving him and setting him down without my hands lingering near him. Of course, he came to a dead halt as I approached, and he pulled his head and feet closer in to his shell. But when I picked him up, he quickly stuck his neck out as far as he could, back towards my hands near the back half of his body, and opened his massive jaws and HISSED at me... LOUDLY!  :o  :o  Oh my. His big-ass triangular style long tail whipped aorund, too. Thank goodness, I had successfully picked him up where he was not able to reach me with either, and I put him in the grass on the other side of the road, where he was headed, a couple of yards from the curb. I waited to see if he would start walking before I left, so I could see if he would head in a safe direction, but he was a "no go" on that, and stood his ground. So I got back in my car, cleaned off the icky wet mud and blood he had left on my hands from his muddy rear feet that managed to scrape me with his long, sharp nails from his long legs, that went furiously paddling in the air to escape me when I picked him up. Then I turned my car to head out to the main road, and when I looked back, that big guy was nowhere to be seen!  ??? I looked to be sure I didn't see him anywhere near, or in, the road, and I couldn't locate him.  8)  They can certainly move when they want! I hope he is lolling in the shade by a nice pond with some tasty fish.  :-*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2bd1zp_q6Y&t=284s - "Homeward Bound" - Simon and Garfunkel, the live NYC Central Park Concert, 1981.

I have been watching the French Open. The women's singles final was today, and the men's is tomorrow, on NBC, 9 am, Eastern time, Alcaraz v. Zverev.

Good night, Beakers. Peace. SED.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 09:59:23 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

karengramke

« Reply #5236 on: June 08, 2024, 10:19:30 PM »

Eagles, trap a 🐱 or kitties when there is a spay/neuter event and take there for testing, spay neuter as appropriate,  a round of vaccines ,get the. Ear tipped and when ready take back ti where trapped.  Give some yummy food before a release!
Lani, hooe Mike feels better soon!

Seds

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5237 on: June 09, 2024, 12:11:05 AM »

Good night Beakers!
I'm sorry, I'm feeling tired tonight. I hope everyone had a good day, I'll see you all in the morning.

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Clynn,  Tig, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Clynn, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Denton eaglets and nest, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5238 on: June 09, 2024, 06:01:21 AM »

Good Morning Everyone ...Happy Sunday!    

Currently:  rain 70F feels like 72;  High  76F rain showers,  Low 59F
It has been raining most of the night with thunder and lightening

I got board with the usual... ;D

Lani hope you got some good rest ;  and Mike /Sadie are doing much better.

Tsk we sure did enjoy that pizza! We really enjoyed
everything.

Hi Eagles    :)

Bazi tks for family update

Dina, Sauces nest Channel Islands, California   5-19-21

Prayers for: Unspoken Requests”; The Beakroom and Cheers.; Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people.  Greenfield, IA;Laken Riley, all those like her and family .
 'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere .

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#Istandwith Evan

Puff

« Reply #5241 on: June 09, 2024, 06:18:12 AM »

Good Morning Beakers! It's Caturday again!

Phyl, good cat pics this morning, love the American Gothic! We have 68 right now, high 81 today. I think I will turn the A/C off for a few days!

Lani, I have never let my cats outside, not since 1973 when my cat JB got hit by a car. Never again after that. And now there are coyotes to worry about!  Sam, Sophie and Harley love going outside on the deck! I open the sliding door every morning, just enough for them to come and go as they please. What do you hear from Mike? I couldn't find when you said he would be home! Love the dog noses good night!

BL, sounds like you and Pippy are having a great bass season! 

karen, in search of a fly swatter!  Seems like they are never handy when you need them!

oldguy, that was a great D-Day video! Thanks!

Decorah North - DN17 and Dad North

You have got to copyright this photo Clynn  of 17 and Dad!!!!!  Make prints and sell at ATF to the fans of Decorah.  I'm serious.  Profits could be made and given to the RRP fund.  Indescribably special.

P

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #5242 on: June 09, 2024, 06:38:08 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Phyl, 56 here, high 83 today. After tomorrow it looks looks solid A/C temps for the forseeable future, high 80s, low 90s. Summer!  Well, I can't take credit for those Decorah North pictures, I always try to note the poster but there wasn't a name. I have searched and found it again, the credit goes to Deborah Victoriana. I went back and added it to the post. I can't remember exactly where I found it but someone must have reposted it somewhere without the name. Will read the interesting articles later this morning!

Lani, hope you are getting some good sleep! And hoping that you and Mike and Sadie all feel better today! It will soon be Hatch Watch at Hellgate!

baz, oh my, what a story of you saving that poor, MEAN turtle! I could picture it all in my mind! If he knew that you certainly saved his life he would give you a kiss instead of a snap! What a sweet picture of Lil' Bro and his friends, they are all so cute! Of course he's the handsome redhead in the middle!  :-* I remember those days when Erin played at that age, just getting them used to the field and kicking the ball around! Oh, I love the Simon & Garfunkel Concert in Central Park, so many good songs!  https://www.grunge.com/840877/the-story-behind-simon-garfunkels-concert-at-central-park/  Here's a cool video, flashed back and forth in time:  https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=simon+garfunkel+central+park+songs+youtube&&mid=1E9E51883035AFA1AF2D1E9E51883035AFA1AF2D&&FORM=VRDGAR

Decorah North - Mom North, D17 & D18 - Deborah Victoriana 

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5243 on: June 09, 2024, 06:53:15 AM »

BL  Interesting. Thanks for the follow up on the "bending" paddle.  When you do a lot of any one sport you become an expert in the best equipment.  ;)

BAZI  There are many photo's that live on in history and this certainly is one of them  RIP  Bill Anders.   Etta  LOL  Cats can be really funny.   " Select your spot:  ;D ;D ;D    Oh my gosh.  Those little ones are the cutest ever.  Look at all that red hair  ;D
What a rescue tale..I would have no knowledge about moving a turtle - Glad you did and still ended up with a few scratches.  By the way, this story reminded me about your hand!!  How are you doing?  Did you finish your OT?

LANI  Sure hope you got a good night's sleep.  How are the "patients" this AM?

PHYL  Interesting about the silk fabric.  Could be a game changer esp for those of us living near an airport  LOL     Milky Way  awesome.

CLYNN  Simon and Garfunkel had such classic music.  Had a couple of their "albums" back when.
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #5244 on: June 09, 2024, 07:04:03 AM »

I can't believe another shot may have trumped the first.  Do we know this Deborah Victoriana?  One of the forum?

Phyl  You're first hearing about the "tipping" of the stray cats, or even cats who have a home.  It's quite a few years back that I heard of it.  We have to do better at spreading the word.  I've always had all my rescues feline spade/neutered, not clipped because they've liked living inside with A/C, and heat, and blankies.  I must have heard it either from Bob Barker or Betty White.  They did a lot with that promotion.

Bob Barker donated the vast majority of the donation here in Chicago in building and funding a spay and neuter program for cats and dogs ala PAWS.  Beautiful and worthy way to remember him.

One more nice day today --- hoping to get some outside time in today.  Yesterday was cancelled by a horrendous sudden case Montezuma's revenge.  'cuze my language.  Don't know what happened there.   :-[

P

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #5245 on: June 09, 2024, 07:19:05 AM »

some bounce

We plan to visit the cemeteries today to tend, adorn, remember.
Here is some fun from our favorite place:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-Is80L-RQ
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

karengramke

« Reply #5246 on: June 09, 2024, 08:36:32 AM »

Good Morning! 75  degrees, 76%  humidity!  Going to 95, today and tomorrow!   Slight chance of rain on Wednesday!
Lani, you did a lot yesterday!  Nurse and washerwoman  al lday!  Hope you are rested!   Hopefully Mike and Sadie are better!

Baz, BabyBros curly red hair is to die for!   The turtle story worthy of Readers Digest!
Clynn, two days of wonderful pictures of the norths?   Have to check on 18! 
Iris is  doing a great job!   Cannot wait to see a hatch!  Interesting to note that Louis has not been around!
Phyl. Interesting  about the earth elements in coal mines!   A new job for the coal miners and a cleaner industry!  Many of the coal mines in central Il. Are not mapped and the wooden structures that hold them up are rotting, causing mine subsidence !    Sometimes a house falls in!  Wonder if they will attempt to
Wonderful sky photos.
Enjoy a goid Sundaylook at this area?

kbshcb

« Reply #5247 on: June 09, 2024, 08:51:01 AM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/freighter-taking-on-water-after-collision-in-lake-superior/?utm_campaign=true_anthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3jC7Q5VCQfE6hN1KP6map9jAp-XuIwPWF-gl27n1UjVZYY2olGBbq64FI_aem_AV6vNeV7POzWlf8H4jLd7vNKp4QTxa3z6sd6_W_81k5bxoUc9lJNqzarVN0ltTD3citmrVmLT8qYxhSVavWs5rW_

Did you see this tig - a freighter collided with something under water in Lake Superior, carrying taconite, but now safely in Thunder Bay....what the heck? was he out of the shipping lanes?

Baz - in my city we have reports of snapping turtles crossing roads a lot at the moment...so far, people have avoided hitting them.
But, reminds me when young we found one in one of our window wells. Dad was working so Mom called her brother who came and wrestled it into a wheelbarrow. Across the street from our home is woods and Nine Mile Creek. Twas a big guy too...Success however in pushing it back to a safer place.

Another beautiful day here...out for a walk soon, bbq ribs in the crockpot, some gardening to do yet and then a sit on my deck to enjoy. Later

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #5248 on: June 09, 2024, 09:37:32 AM »

Yep, KB, I did...  :o

I think, for the first time in years, I have enough blooming flowers to cut to make arrangements for our parent's graves.

:-\   :)
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

LisaG1967

« Reply #5249 on: June 09, 2024, 10:05:03 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Lani - Oh no, I hope everyone is feeling ok this morning at your home.  Thanks for the Hellgate update. 

tig - How was that concoction?  It sounded interesting. 

Phyl - Your pizza supreme sounds good. 

tsk - The grad party was fun. We got home at 11, and I was up at 4:30am, so a lil tired today.

baz - Awww, you moved the turtle.  Jeff always does that too when we see one in the road.  Love the pic of Etta.

E4E - Yes, very frustrating, but thank goodness I didn't lose it.  ;D

clynn
- Love ALL your morning pics and DNN, too!

karen, Puff, kb and all
- Morning  :)