Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 300384 times)

Puff

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #3195 on: April 04, 2024, 07:58:19 AM »

WOW   Clynn  Never saw that perspective of the Valley.  Another good thing about the era of the dome!

P

karengramke

« Reply #3196 on: April 04, 2024, 07:59:19 AM »

Good Morning!  A beautiful sunny morning at 47 degrees!  Going to the 60’s later today!  Love these temperatures!   Think I remember, Tsk, tge last freeze date for the Chicago planting zone , is April25th!   Do not know what climate change has done to these dates!
Restless Egg syndrome!  Lolol.  Good Bb report and cute squirrel Phyl!
Clynn, never heard that song about LSD before!  Love it!  Thanks for posting!

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #3197 on: April 04, 2024, 09:43:54 AM »

Reminder: Posted this past weekend. 
"There are appropriate places for political opinion, but nowhere in RRP's Forum is it appropriate to express them!" 
"Climate Change" included. Thank you.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Puff

« Reply #3198 on: April 04, 2024, 10:03:07 AM »

OK clynn  A new set of memories started because of Lake Shore Drive (LSD) song.  That's the neighborhood where I grew up in Chicago, now referred to as Old Town.  We lived about a mile from the beach and LSD from about 6 or 7 years of age til about 13.  Then we moved to Midway airport area.  I had to have spent 3 or 4 days a week at North Avenue beach in my summers at the beach.  I also recall my brother and his fishing - nothing better than a fresh caught smelt netted and cooked for dinner the same day.  He also had a boat to take out early mornings before work for lake perch or trout.  He had a fisherman's location.  He did move to city boundary (O'Hare) but still would drag the boat in to fish whenever.  But, my information and the song and video don't match.  They were traveling north by famous Oak Street beach on LSD not south.  The giveaway would be the passenger side is next to the lake; and in the background the Hancock building is getting smaller.  I moved from the city in 1971, I resigned teaching 1994.  Now my only connection would be an occasional game day with the White Sox.  Lots of time and facts gleaned.  Fortunately the Loop and Drive are keeping their image.  I do wish them success in restoring its crowds and lovely lifestyle. 

But there is another memory - because of the background image of the Hancock Building.  My Dad, brothers, and 1st husband were boilermakers/welders.  Dad helped to construct the two antenna at the the top of the building.  At construction, the building had 95 floors.  The construction took him up a whole lot higher.  He did take some awesome pics that I still have in my memory box and in my head. There are quite a few times that some of you here have mentioned their own ties to my area.  You just might have some reminders too of the past.

Another bit of discovery/education.  The celebration of life funeral activities showed a flag I knew nothing about.  I know the Chicago flag, I lived with it or near it until, as I said, about 1994.  Quick lesson of the day on Chicago flag when you might like.  Two blue stripes represent Lake Michigan and the Chicago River.  There are 4 red stars across the middle white representing first Fort Dearborn and the area created by DuSable; there's a star for the remembrance of the Great Fire in 1871; and, there are 2 stars in recognition of the two worlds' fairs in 1893 and 1933.  BUT, what was the green and white flag used this weekend? 

The flag has 5 green and white stripes, representing the 5 boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island).  And, on a field of blue are 24 stars representing the number of towns, cities, and villages incorporated into a city in 1898.  The flag was introduced in 1919, was 100 years old 2019, now 105 years old.  But it's not the city flag.  NYC has Blue, white, orange panels with the city seal in the middle. 

What was used in honor over the weekend was the New York City Police Department flag.
Chicago also has a Chicago Police Department Flag.  They merely modified the Chicago flag by using their blue and white checkerboard pattern to outline the Chicago flag as a sign that they serve the surrounded city.  They also use the city seal in the center.

Two new learnings for the day - and more fantastic memories.  Thanks for your time group.

P     

« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 10:10:41 AM by Puff »

Lani

« Reply #3199 on: April 04, 2024, 10:10:45 AM »

March 5, 2024

One of our resident squirrels came up about 4:31 pm for a quick meal. There was Dad #2
 (offspring CR #49)     standing guard over his nest. I know a cell phone isn't the photo quality matching that
of a high quality professional camera or a research nest cam. We're just a common 'mom and pop' nature loving couple
that were blessed 22 years ago with a pair of human loving wild bluebirds that through the generations have chosen to nest
in our nesting boxes repeatedly for some mysterious reason.

This is a great pic!  ;D
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #3200 on: April 04, 2024, 10:11:53 AM »

March 26, 2024

The kids ... took a peek in them about 11:35 pm...
looks like we have four to start off the 2024 nesting season.
We're looking at future Cane Ridge #61, 62, 63, 64.
Welcome to The World!

Hopefully, this weekend we can get another snap of 'the kids'.

precious babies  :-*

Lani

« Reply #3201 on: April 04, 2024, 10:25:22 AM »

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

{{{Karen and Piper}}}

{{{Puff}}} Thanks for sharing the history and memories of Chicago .... When I watch anything from Hawaii, childhood memories come floating through my thoughts too.

Clynn, I hope Ed is feeling better.... beautiful Monument Valley... nice morning pics.  :)

{{{Tsk}}}

{{{Phyl}}} Pasque Flower the first sign of spring.... thanks for posting Amy's blog, I've got your past links bookmarked  :)
"Restless egg syndrome" LOL!

Eagles,  :-* ... hopefully, the California DOT will be able to make the Highway 1 repair quickly. So everyone can enjoy the beautiful state parks. If you don't mind me asking, How long have you lived in CA?

Mike had to do a one day trip to Minnesota and back today.

LisaG1967

« Reply #3202 on: April 04, 2024, 10:39:57 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Lani - Definitely a much better night on the Decorah nest's with the snow gone.

E4E - Thank you!

Phyl - Glad to hear that Jim is taking you to the little clinic on Friday.  Are you feeling any better?  Thanks for 365, RRP blog and blue bird pics.

tsk - Pretty morning greeting.  Oh no, rain and snow again.  We are finally rain free after 3 days of it. 

clynn - Cool aerial view of Monument Valley.   ;D "prisoners of our own device"  More pretty flowers in your last pic. 

Puiff, karen, kb, tig and all - Morning  :)

Puff

« Reply #3203 on: April 04, 2024, 10:56:55 AM »

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

{{{Karen and Piper}}}

{{{Puff}}} Thanks for sharing the history and memories of Chicago .... When I watch anything from Hawaii, childhood memories come floating through my thoughts too.

Clynn, I hope Ed is feeling better.... beautiful Monument Valley... nice morning pics.  :)

{{{Tsk}}}

{{{Phyl}}} Pasque Flower the first sign of spring.... thanks for posting Amy's blog, I've got your past links bookmarked  :)
"Restless egg syndrome" LOL!

Eagles,  :-* ... hopefully, the California DOT will be able to make the Highway 1 repair quickly. So everyone can enjoy the beautiful state parks. If you don't mind me asking, How long have you lived in CA?

Mike had to do a one day trip to Minnesota and back today.

Lani  You do the same to me (or for me).

Whenever you post anything island I think of you and the islands.   ;D

P

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #3204 on: April 04, 2024, 11:12:34 AM »

The Raptor Resource Project

From Amy's blog...

Eaglet Growth and Development, Week Two
 April 3, 2024  RaptorResource

https://www.raptorresource.org/2024/04/03/eaglet-growth-and-development-week-two/

We’re writing a series of blogs about the first few weeks of an eaglet’s life. An eaglet spends roughly 75 to 80 days in the nest. For about the first half, it grows and gains weight. For about the second half, it grows flight feathers and starts developing the skills it will need post-fledge. We will focus on week two in this blog.

I just now realized that I used the wrong coding for my link.  ::) :P   As you can see, it's been correcterd.
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#Istandwith Evan

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #3205 on: April 04, 2024, 11:33:55 AM »

CLYNN  No snow here.  Intermittent rain however.  Yes great song LSD.  You'd like to have that song blaring on the radio when you drive it/.  FYI  Big stink when it happened but it is now officially called Du Sable Lake Shore Drive  sigh...

That's one thing I liked about a return flight from Florida ( night is the best)   - the plane is out over the Lake going north and if you are on the west side of the plane the view is amazing.  Then the plane turns west and you fly over the City and come in to O'Hare over the Kennedy xway.  ;)   Beautiful, stark view of Monument Valley  :o

KAREN   Our planting zone here in Chicago has changed this year from a 5 to a 6a.  We are now considered "warmer".   LSD is a big classic song here for obvious reasons.   ;D

PUFF   So enjoyed your history lesson this AM.  I'm going to go back and look at the video closer  LOL

LANI   What was Mike's destination in Mn??  That is somewhere he doesn't usually go.

LISA    A lavender good morning  ;D  One of my top 5 favorite smells  ;)
Chicagoland

Lani

« Reply #3206 on: April 04, 2024, 11:48:17 AM »

Tsk, Mike is in Minneapolis. Checking out a truck company to move supplies.

Duck runs in a marathon and gets a medal

https://twitter.com/i/status/1775905295597781308
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 11:50:05 AM by Lani »

BrokenLug

« Reply #3207 on: April 04, 2024, 12:29:35 PM »

Good Morning Beakers!

BL, have you been to the North Nest or have you located it via your wizardry with maps? I can visualize you searching for it online...

Clynn I have been to the area of the DNN many years ago, 20+.

I waded & fly fished for wild native trout in the Creek that flows through the cow pasture/farm right in front of the nest.
There were no BE's present in the area when we where there.   :(

A friend of mine who use to live in Caledonia, MN turned me on to this 'secret' fishing spot.
There are awesome trout to be had in that Creek as my krill can attest to.   ;D

When RRP installed the DNN camera in 2015 I recognized the area immediately.
I highly respect the land owners and RRP's decision to keep the nest location undisclosed.   8)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 08:48:13 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

Lani

« Reply #3208 on: April 04, 2024, 01:40:59 PM »

Thank you BL, I remembered RRP posting it was on private land.
Beautiful serene area.  :)

kbshcb

« Reply #3209 on: April 04, 2024, 02:21:35 PM »

Hallelujah!....I got my internet back. Had comcast/xfinity out for the last 3 hours.
After 20 plus years someone who knew what they were doing evaluated the cable from the pole to the house and it was junk.
Chris and I have been trying to "fix" it ourselves etc...

The cable had all kinds of "knicks" in it....dang squirrels...'Bout time though with a cable that old.

Works like a charm now..including our other devices like tv....we are now getting speeds that we were before fix paying for!

Lani - cause I live a block away from Minneapolis, if Mike needs anything or to find something/anything, let me know. I can try as i do know the area, LOL