Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 545133 times)

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #1230 on: February 06, 2024, 04:49:18 PM »

Hi Beakers!  I wanted to share a couple of pictures so that you can get an idea of the area we live in.  There are mountains in the distance, but we live in the city limits in the valley of Salinas CA - Monterey County.  This is the front of our house which is kind of plain-looking right now, as I don't have any flowers in the front right now, and because of the storms, we took down our decorative wind chimes off our front porch.  The other picture was taken as I stood on our front porch - which faces So.East.  The gray pick-up truck belongs to our neighbors across the street, that I pet-sit for sometimes!

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #1231 on: February 06, 2024, 04:58:11 PM »

BAZI    I live 6 blocks from church.  The choir director started taking down the red which was great but she didn't know where to hang/put it.  It is a 2 person job to get down the red hanging over the baptismal font and help was there for that.  I didn't want to toss the 70 roses that were in a vase on the altar so started asking people as they were lingering if they wanted any - Got rid of them all. ;D  I'm a member of the art and environment committee and had nothing better to do so no big deal on my part.   (The leader of the group had a dtr that was being confirmed so was unable.) I liked helping out.  ;D        Couldn't fool me with the smaller tasting glass  ::) ;) ;)
I've never seen a 7.5# chicken!!!  Do you invert it over a bottle/can to roast it?   That chicken plate looks delicious.  ;D

TSK, I still say you are a special treasure for your church and parishioners:-*  That was one giant chicken! 7.48 pounds, to be exact! I will be eating it for a long time, LOL. It was a fresh, not frozen, chicken, minimally processed, but did have 6% retained water, per its wrapper.  ::) I hate paying per pound meat prices for water! At least it was only water, and not broth or salt water. Otherwise, it was a plain old fresh whole chicken - just a really big one! It was called a Purdue Oven Stuffer, Whole Roaster, Chicken With Giblets. I placed it breast side up in a large, turkey-sized roasting pan, tucked the wing tips under, and cooked it uncovered at 350. The wrapper directions said to pour a half cup water in the roasting pan, but I didn't because there was more water than that inside the chicken in the bag, so I just poured that into the pan. It had a popup thermometer, which, based on the weight and expected cook times on the wrapper, popped up earlier than I expected, but the chicken was perfectly done when it popped up. Turned out great! The only thing I did was rub some olive oil all over the outside, very lightly - just enough to make the spices stick - and then rubbed on a mix of herbs and spices I put together, all over the outside and the inside - sea salt, black pepper, Old Bay, Italian Medley (basically parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, like the song, and maybe some dillweed is in it?), oregano, a little garlic powder, some powdered chicken broth (low sodium), and I think that was about it. I put the whole peeled onions in the pan with it, and that was it. The carrots and broccoli were steamed separately. I normally would never cook such a large amount of meat, but it was a steal of a deal I couldn't pass up, and I have a working refrigerator, and freezer, so the uneaten leftovers were separated into serving sizes and frozen. That's my story.  :D

This is it:
https://www.perdue.com/products/perdue-oven-stuffer-whole-chicken-with-giblets/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 05:00:21 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #1232 on: February 06, 2024, 05:19:17 PM »

TIG    You sure see lots of eagles up where you are.  :o  So sad about that resort.

Am I the only one who likes radishes besides Jim and my Tim???

KAREN   The rent isn't high enough at that owl's nest.  :P

EAGLES   I like your pavers.  ;D    But you can't see the mountains from your house..What range is that?

KAREN    Thanks for the description of your giant chicken.  We have Purdue products in our meat section but you know - I always go to the same area to get my legs and thighs and don't browse around.  I will have to see if they sell those.  I'd make one in a heartbeat esp if you say, the price is good.  I always olive oil my turkeys and do my own spices as well.  Hope you enjoyed it.   Thanks for the visual aid  LOL
Chicagoland

baziunc

« Reply #1233 on: February 06, 2024, 05:19:40 PM »

Good Morning Beakers

karen - This is a recent pic of her that B&K posted on FB.

tsk - She looks to be sitting up pretty good in the pic, but I did see a video of her where she is really trying to crawl.  LOL, nominating BL to walk.

Lani - Thank you...like tsk said, a milestone for Sydney 6 mos.  :D

kb - Aww, that is awesome that the ellies never forgot the caretaker.

baz - That meal looks wonderful!  I wanted those beignets too!

clynn - I hope Erin is planning a nice party for Sydney, too.  Wow, can you imagine walking that far? Love the SWFL pic this morning.

Phyl - That 1yr birthday will be here soon. 

Puff - Morning  :)

Lisa, look at pretty little Sydney!!  :) :-* :-*  She's sitting up, no problem! LOL, I bet she is at the point where she can get away fast, if anyone watching her dares turn around for 1 second. LOL! What a sweet pic... yes, 6 months will turn to 12 months in a bat of an eyelash!  Hugs, Grandma!  :) :-*
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #1234 on: February 06, 2024, 05:24:32 PM »

Had a re-occuring ear-worm, so I found it on YouTube and thought I'd share it with yah.  ;) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv8KAgBOjAI

Thanks, eburg! I haven't heard that song in many moons. Can't help but snap my fingers and sing along.  :)

baziunc

« Reply #1235 on: February 06, 2024, 05:26:40 PM »

Don't forget...

Sister Felicity Immaculata, Mother Superior of the Order of Eternal Indifference ;D

T40, how could anyone forget Sister Felicity Immaculata?  :D  She's one of my all-time favs! Of course she doesn't care.  ;)  :) :-* :-*

baziunc

« Reply #1236 on: February 06, 2024, 05:40:00 PM »

CLYNN   wonder if anyone has walked that longest route??     

BL I nominate you to do it!
  ;D ;D

Yeah I'll pass on that worlds longest road walk.   LOL    :)  ;D

Boy you all must really want me off this Forum.   ;)   :P

I doubt one would even make it off of the Dark Continent with there skivvies on let alone with their scalp.    :o

I prefer my long distance treks with a whole lot less real world dangers and serious hazards.
Comes to mind just a few .. shot, stabbed, kidnapped, bombed, detained, taken hostage, etc, etc ...

https://www.globalrescue.com/common/blog/detail/debunking-the-longest-walkable-road-in-the-world/

BL, copy that!!  And just so you know, if you ever take leave of your senses and say that you and Pip are heading out to walk that, I will quickly and safely snag you both and take you to a safe place till you come to your senses!!  ;D  No, we don't want you and Pip to leave this Forum!  :) :-* :-*

« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 06:09:54 PM by baziunc »

baziunc

« Reply #1237 on: February 06, 2024, 06:05:19 PM »

TIG    You sure see lots of eagles up where you are.  :o  So sad about that resort.

Am I the only one who likes radishes besides Jim and my Tim???

KAREN   The rent isn't high enough at that owl's nest.  :P

EAGLES   I like your pavers.  ;D    But you can't see the mountains from your house..What range is that?

KAREN    Thanks for the description of your giant chicken.  We have Purdue products in our meat section but you know - I always go to the same area to get my legs and thighs and don't browse around.  I will have to see if they sell those.  I'd make one in a heartbeat esp if you say, the price is good.  I always olive oil my turkeys and do my own spices as well.  Hope you enjoyed it.   Thanks for the visual aid  LOL

TSK, I like radishes!!! Love to wash them, cut off the ends, and then let them chill in the fridge in salt water.  Refreshing! Crunch crunch!  :D Or very thinly slice them into salads. That large chicken just happened to be on a weekly special at my grocery store last week, I think for $1.49 a lb., if I recall. I don't remember what it's regular price is at that store. But that particular one I bought was further marked down for quick sale because it was only 1 more day till the "Sell by" date (not the "use by" date). Nothing wrong with that, for sure!  :D
 It was the only one in the case marked down for quick sale like that, and I grabbed it before anyone else could. LOL. I bought it Saturday, and cooked it Sunday! I love to snag those killer markdown for quick sale deals!! It was 7.48 pounds, and was marked down to $7.78!! That made it a dollar a pound!! LOL! BTW, there was one popup thermometer in one of the breasts, but another one fell out when I removed the packet of giblets. I pushed it into the other breast. Both of them popped up almost exactly at the same time. The directions say to take it out when the thermometer pops up. I did, even though it was earlier than I expected it to be done. I didn't even stick a separate thermometer in it to double check it for doneness. I wiggled the legs, and they were obvously done. It was tender, and the breast was not dry. Don't know if I just got lucky, but it turned out really good. Glad I just used the water that was in the bag with the chicken and didn't add any - it made lots of "au jus" to use for making gravy, or for spooning over just to moisten. Just sharing my experience with it, in case you decide to give one of them a try.
  :)

baziunc

« Reply #1238 on: February 06, 2024, 06:12:58 PM »

Heading out to watch my Tarheels play. So,

Good Night, Beakers. Peace. SED.  :)

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #1239 on: February 06, 2024, 06:15:06 PM »

Lani - I see the storm is headed your way now, but don't know when it will get to you! We are supposed to expect rain tomorrow, but then beginning Thursday, it should be dry for a few days!    I just read what you said about the 'Phoenix Open' starting Thursday. That might be when the rain storm comes rolling into that area. :o      Cute/darling Sloth pics  ;D
Baz - That is a big chicken - but I bet it was delicious when done and then it will serve you for a few meals! :)    By the way - liked your pics of snacks before the game and the dish after the game! ;D    No we didn't lose power during the storms - we were lucky.
LisaG - Can't believe that Sydney is 6 months old now! Babies always grow so much in their first year!  She is a doll  :-* :)   She is learning to crawl! ;D
Kb - Loved the vid of the elephants & caretaker!! :-*
Phyl - Thank you so much!     Like your 'Liver' story  ;D    It seems that Jim likes radishes - does he 'dip' them first?  I like vegies that I can 'dip'!
Puff -  :)
Clynn - Liked the story you told to Phyl about your Aunt cooking a Cow's tongue in the pressure cooker!   My husband's Grandfather was in the Cattle business in the Los Banos / Gustine areas of CA, and he used to eat those items too. ???
Eburg - Liked the music vid!
Tig - I like radishes sliced thin in green salads, but I too eat vegetables because they are healthy! :)   Glad you guys enjoyed the Bakery- gotta have a treat sometimes!! ;D
BL - I think I will pass on walking that longest path in the world! ;D  Yikes  :o
Tsk - Yes! I like what you said about 'purging'!  That is so true. I mentioned more than a couple of times to my hubby (who helped me here & there) that I was so happy with the changes I made (in the kitchen cabinets)!   Let me mention though, this didn't include my china cabinet and glassware cabinets!     I agree with Baz, that you are a special treasure for your Church. :-* :)      The mountains are the Santa Lucia Mts & Gabilan Mts.
Hi Lori, Og, Karen  :)

Has anyone heard how Weasel is doing with all the rain?

Beakers have a good night - be safe - stay warm {{All Beakers}}

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #1240 on: February 06, 2024, 06:28:25 PM »

BAZI  Heading to the grocery on Thursday.   It's on my list to look for   Thanks for the radish support  LOL

EAGLES   Thanks for the radish support  LOL    Now after tomorrow , Southern Cal can have a bit of a dry out - sorely needed.
Chicagoland

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #1241 on: February 06, 2024, 06:57:31 PM »

CLYNN   wonder if anyone has walked that longest route??     

BL I nominate you to do it!  ;D ;D

Yeah I'll pass on that worlds longest road walk.   LOL    :)  ;D

Boy you all must really want me off this Forum.   ;)   :P

I doubt one would even make it off of the Dark Continent with there skivvies on let alone with their scalp.    :o

I prefer my long distance treks with a whole lot less real world dangers and serious hazards.
Comes to mind just a few .. shot, stabbed, kidnapped, bombed, detained, taken hostage, etc, etc ...

https://www.globalrescue.com/common/blog/detail/debunking-the-longest-walkable-road-in-the-world/

LOL! Well that's decided! We would have missed you, Pip and Kopje and worried about you all!  ;D 8)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #1242 on: February 06, 2024, 07:24:24 PM »

tsk, baz, E4E and Tim/Jim I like radishes too, sprinkle a little salt on them, I can eat a bowl full! I remember Grandpa complaining about 'pithy' radishes!

E4E, your house if very pretty! so is your neighbor's truck the one under the cover on the left?  And is that the Delorean under the cover on the right side? I know what you mean about cleaning out areas and having a lot to get rid of! Seems like it doesn't take long to fill it back up though! I have a corner cabinet that I can't even get to in my eBay room, it is full of glassware on top that we, of course, never use. And a full service for 12 of my china that I was registered for when Ed and I got married is in the buffet. Have never used it. I did give the wedding gift silverware to Erin when he and Sydney bought their house.

baz, that chicken is big enough to act like a turkey! I remember my aunt teaching me how to cut up a chicken! That used to be how you got your chicken, I don't remember Mom just buying chicken breasts. Maybe they just cost more, she was (and still is) very thrifty.

Lani, Phyl, 'I'm good.' That is what Ed says too!

Lani, Moose sticking his tongue out!  Cute!

Lisa, love that picture of Sydney, she is such a pretty baby! Love, love her beautiful eyes, someone said they were blue but they sure look like big brown eyes! Bella has brown eyes! Here is Bella at 6 months...seems like just a short while ago...

Spider Rock. The park's distinctive geologic feature, Spider Rock, is a sandstone spire that rises 750 feet (230 m) from the canyon floor at the junction of Canyon de Chelly and Monument Canyon. Spider Rock can be seen from South Rim Drive.  Canyon de Chelly National Monument (/dəˈʃeɪ/ də-SHAY) was established on April 1, 1931, as a unit of the National Park Service. Located in northeastern Arizona, it is within the boundaries of the Navajo Nation and lies in the Four Corners region.

Good Night Beakers!
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

oldguy

« Reply #1243 on: February 06, 2024, 07:27:13 PM »

Hello Beakers

I grew up on a farm - my family had a garden that was about 75 ft by 150 ft next to a feeder pig lot - everything grew well without adding anything.  In the summer, if I wanted a snack, all I had to do was walk to the garden and pick anything I wanted that was ripe and was edible raw.  Peas, carrots, turnips, lettuce, ground cherries, tomatoes and radishes.   We also helped with my grandparent's garden in town - it was twice the size and included strawberries and asparagus as well as black berries, raspberries, gooseberries and red & black currants.   Also had an aunt that had a smaller garden in town - the three gardens were planned and shared together to give all of us frozen/canned food for most of the year.  The gardens also contained potatoes, sweet corn, cabbage, cauliflower, beets, green and yellow string beans, rhubarb, squash, pumpkins & melons.

The radishes were best when about 1 inch diameter - full grown was about 1.5 in. and had too much heat.

Also had beef heart and tongue growing up - Mom usually diced the meat in 1/2 in. cubes and made it into white gravy.  Never liked liver, but ate enough to keep peace at the table... ;)

Only ate beets as pickled - did not like or eat asparagus or cauliflower. and cabbage & turnips only raw.

Here is an update on Kilauea - a very humorous report... ;D
Hawaii Volcano Watch Report | Kilauea Update | 2024/02/06   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4zeu-EeyN4

😺 Good morning in three.. two.. one! 🐈 Funny video with cats and kittens! 😸   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkLVoATbIeY

Couple finds cats in new home. Guess how they responded.   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFB9JLqxB-M

Rescuers lift bucket and realize what they rescued   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=070EdnREiII

Setsubun and Cats 2024   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZTpk99Di5g
Maru's face is a very fluffy pillow   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYdiMOUm7Uw

A song from the past - be sure to read the description... ;D
The Kingston Trio - M.T.A.   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Jw_v3F_Q0
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

karengramke

« Reply #1244 on: February 06, 2024, 07:32:24 PM »

The owls occupy a nest the eagles worked on in the pasture but never occupied!  I do not think it was ever finished.  Owls are not nest builders so the took this over as home and have not been good tenants!  They attack the eagles at night!  Anyway, some one asked if the nest was viewable on a camera and I do not know!   Saw this on FB.  It was taken and posted by Wiskernwings!
Baz, wish I had your chicken!   They are in Publix  but I have never tried or priced one,
I like radishes!  Had some in salad  tonight!  Love the crisp, chrunchy peppery bite!  Very fresh tasting! 
Eagles, nice pictures of your home and neighborhood! What is the little tree you have planted?
Lisa, darling picture of Sydney!  Didn’t you say she has blue eyes?   They look black!  She may walk before she crawls!   So al ert.

Clynn, it does not seem possible that Bella is 6!  Wow, time is flying!
Lani and Phyl, thanks for the posts and links!
Bl, that walking road looks very dangerous!   Dont go there
Seds all!