Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 575483 times)

kbshcb

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #9705 on: October 01, 2023, 06:03:46 AM »

News you can use?....or another learning curve for us Beakers!

This is a Brown hyena or a Strandwolf..the rarest species of hyenas.

BL - maybe you'll find one in AK?.....LOL. Safe exploring.

Baz - thanks for that rain gauge info....yup I do need to move mine for a more accurate reading.
Believe it or not I once thought I wanted to do that for the National Weather folks....for a passing minute anyway. I'm glad for other citizen helpers that do do that.

A scorcher weather wise for another few days with high humidity...A/C back on and limited out door activity.

Happy the Vikings play today.....er um NOT...such a terrible record this year esp. compared to last year's hope.

Lani - my sis has convinced me to start watching the Chiefs instead...her son is married to a Kansas woman. So, now I know two peeps who watch them! I might give them a shot.

Morning all.

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #9706 on: October 01, 2023, 06:07:39 AM »

It's great to see this almost-pair still at GSB at the end of September.
Will they stay all winter?  Will they migrate as usual?  Will they return in the early spring?
Stay tuned and watch the GSB cam for fall foliage, barges, birds, and more.

GSB 9-30-23 Newman in end of SEP sunrise light.JPG (62.8 kB, 726x410 - viewed 8 times.)

GSB 9-30-23 Lisa 53-W on the large feeding ledge @9-30AM.JPG (52.46 kB, 729x414 - viewed 8 times.)

* GSB 9-30-23 Lisa on the nest box perch @10-30AM.JPG (69.03 kB, 667x414 - viewed 9 times.)

Lots of questions that only Newman and Lisa will be able to anwser.  :-*
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #9707 on: October 01, 2023, 06:17:53 AM »

KB those Brown Hyenas are very distinct and only found Namibia, Botswana, western and southern Zimbabwe, southern Mozambique and South Africa.
               They're also known as 'The Shaggy Scavenger' .      Enjoy the football  ;) 

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #9708 on: October 01, 2023, 06:58:57 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Phyl, great shots of Newman and Lisa!! Good Nature 365, cute little bird!

baz, we do what we can! I can't just walk for very long, hip arthritis, but If I have a shopping cart I can go much longer. So that's what I do, go to Sam's or Walmart and just troll around the place for as long as I want and can! It's easy to hang around in those big stores without being noticed!

kb, what a strange looking creature! The legs just look weird!

Lori, a great bunch of beautiful firehouse dogs! And a Fire Cat!

E4E, oh, it's almost chili season here! We are having what I hope is the last Indian Summer, got to 93 yesterday. Next weekend will be cool, 62. I think that signals chili!  We always have chili and Cheddar Bay biscuits when the kids come here for Christmas, usually the weekend before Christmas.

Lani, FFRC is a wonderful place, I love that the cats are not in cages, and I am amazed at how they all get along, And yes, wonderful that they care for those sweet CH cats... JUst checked the  main cam, the floor is getting mopped. Love the Cabana cam, the cats love sitting on the ledge and look out the window...

Lisa, is your navy bean soup like a soup or is it thicker? We always had ham & beans (thick), which was navy beans and bits of ham. We ate it with cornbread! Mom always fixes 3 things for me when I visit her - meatloaf, ham & beans and tuna noodle casserole.  Ed doesn't like any of those, says he had them too much growing up.

Sue Bruhling - Beautiful Picture of Handsome Mighty M and Gorgeous Lady! ❤ Southwest Florida Eagles - September 30, 2023
Thank You! Desiree Deliz's Photography for sharing with us! ❤  Lady to the Left - Mighty M to the Right

Lady & M 9/30/23 (Lady is not her official name but it's the one I will use for her) 9/30/23

SWFL Eagles - Trisha Needleman  · 09/30/23...The entrance to The Pritchett pasture and Now M and Lady Eagles territory.   The famous statues of Ozzie and Harriet adorn the entrance for all who share the life of these majestic Eagles.  Our gratitude to the Pritchett family creating this for us and bringing it right into our homes .     Dick Pritchett Real Estate .

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9709 on: October 01, 2023, 07:49:15 AM »

GOOD SUNDAY MORNING EVERYONE

BAZI   I think if I had an ocean to do my walking you can bet the walks would be longer.  My SIL  Barb walks the ocean almost daily  when they are in Naples.  But like you say, parking is an issue.  They are able to get a parking permit which gives them some advantage as they are down there about 6 months of the year.  I loved doing that when I spent time down there with her.   I had no idea a rain gauge could be so complicated.   :o  I've never seen the ones with only a 1" center tube.

BL   Now the fun can start  ;) ;)

LORI   Great fire pups photos ;D   Love Milton  ;D   Kudos to Scrappy for making the cut  ;) ;)

KB   I looked at the photo before I saw the text and thought that had to be photo shopped  :o    Such a rare, odd looking hyena.  If you think the Vikings are bad - Bears  0 and 3 they play Denver today  0 and 3  LOLOL  Denver is favored  LOLOL  I see Vikings are 0 and 3 as well  ::) ::)

CLYNN  Wow  you really got warm yesterday - Only low 80's for us and the same for the next 3-4 days.   Thanks for the SWFL couple M and Lady

Went to the Farmers market yesterday and got a dozen apples and will make applesauce today  ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 07:54:53 AM by tsk34 »
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #9710 on: October 01, 2023, 07:59:15 AM »

clynn  FFRC ?    CH ?

P

kbshcb

« Reply #9711 on: October 01, 2023, 08:16:39 AM »

So hot here today with the high dew point, they've cancelled two Medtronic (global producer of medical devices and therapies) Sponsored Twin Cities marathons!

Correct call imho, but only announced hours before start time, hmm.
https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/twin-cities-marathon-canceled-due-to-high-temps-hot-weather-forecasted-sunday/

Cool, I have a pair of cardinals on my lantana plant eating the seeds/berries from the plant..of course, if I went to get my camera they'd leave. Nope, I'm not moving.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 08:38:22 AM by kbshcb »

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #9712 on: October 01, 2023, 09:09:19 AM »

Hi OG  :)

BL  :)

Lani - Sunday morning already - safe travels for Mike.  You have a nice day whatever you may do! 8)

Lori - Fantastic pics for National Firepup Day - Thank you for all the great captions, stories, & all the cute Pups and love the fire cat!

Phyl - Special hugs for you in missing your parents {{Phyl}}    Thanks for Nature - beautiful white throated dipper  :)

Kb - Love the brown hyena/strandwolf - amazing rare species (never seen one before) - great picture - thank you!   Happy football day  :)   Lucky you to have a couple of Cardinals in your yard!

Clynn - Love the graphics this morning!   Nice tradition for the week before Christmas with the kids - bet they all love the menu!   Just read what you told Lani about the 3 things your Mom fixes when you come to visit - I bet they are all wonderfully delicious! :)
Thank you for SWFL  - fantastic pictures!

Tsk - Yumm - your kitchen is going to smell so good with your homemade applesauce!

Hi LisaG, Puff, Baz, Karen  :)

Everyone have a nice Sunday  :)

kbshcb

« Reply #9713 on: October 01, 2023, 10:36:53 AM »

Gotta laugh at Ollie man:

Just lately...hmm, a few weeks, he's become quite mischievous...He gets to sleep in my big soft king bed alone till noon often or whenever he wants to only come up to mess around with us
whenever myself or Chris need a nap or to go to bed he suddenly "comes alive"....

Last two nights he refused to go to bed when I was trying to sleep..up and down off the bed, chewing his bone loudly, staring at me, oh the stares, laying down on the wrong side of me next to me, until finally

Just now Chris needs a nap in the living room (didn't sleep long last night) so who comes up immediately from downstairs!....and starts to "mess around"..wanting to play.

It's now my way or the highway!.
Like I said gotta laugh..have no idea what has brought on this change and I won't probably think about it too long really..he's now 8 1/2 years old.

Ollie man, you silly.

karengramke

« Reply #9714 on: October 01, 2023, 11:00:01 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!   October 1st and Pres Jimmy Carter has turned  99 today!
 :)
Enjoyed your posts about cooking beans!  I like all beans except for garbanzos. Love  Caribbean black bean soup and tge Senate bean soup in addition to your choices.  My all time favorite is New Orleans Red Beans and rice!   So delicious and when made right, so fattening!  Yum!  A gal in the blood center in Mobile was feom NOLA and she would make a big pot several times a year! The aroma would waft thru the building!
Another glorious breezy day in the low 80s.  Ah!
BaZ, walking  on soft, deep sand gives the muscles in t
Your feet and legs a real work out!   The sights, sounds and smells make it worthwhile!
Swfl is back live with 2 cameras.still working on recovering from hurricane damage.  Thanks for posting the picture of M and his Lady!

karengramke

« Reply #9715 on: October 01, 2023, 11:13:26 AM »

Ollie  N needs some  long  day time walks on the beach with .baz!

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9716 on: October 01, 2023, 12:12:07 PM »

CLYNN  Meatloaf is a staple in this house - Love to make extra and freeze.  Tim's not so hot about the other two but I AM  LOL

EAGLES  House smells great - Waiting for it to cool before adding vanilla and spices. ;)

KB   Interesting change in Ollie's routine - 8 1/2 - Boy, remember when you got him. :o

KAREN   You are right - Walking on sand also good for balance..

Off to watch football
Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #9717 on: October 01, 2023, 12:18:24 PM »

Good Afternoon Beakers

I am late, but went to grocery and then came home to put up some Halloween decorations outside.

Phyl - Thanks for the comment about Sydney.  Love those candy corn pumpkins!  Thanks for Nat 365.

clynn;D loved your comment, too.  What did you make for dinner?  Love the statues at the entrance of The Pritchett pasture.  My Navy Bean soup is like a soup.  Jeff likes for me to make cornbread with it, when he is not in the "this is a carby" meal mood. This is the recipe I use:
Navy Bean and Ham Soup

1 lb of navy beans
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 teaspoon of thyme leaves
1 heaping teaspoon of parsley
1 (14 oz.) can of petite diced tomatoes
1 (32 oz) carton of organic or low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
Ham bone

I do the quick soak on the beans, which my package said to rinse and sort beans and put in large pot and over with 8 cups of water.  Bring to a rapid boil for 2 minutes and remove from fire and cover and let sit for 1 hour.  Drain and rinse beans when hour is up.

Return beans to pot along with ham bone, and all of the other ingredients above.  Also, add 4 cups of water to the pot along with the chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, and then turn down to simmer for 2 to 2 ½ hours.  I let mine cook on the stove on simmer for 4 hours. I did mine that long cause we like the beans soft.

baz - Thank you! 

E4E - I bought some beans yesterday to make chili.  All this talk, I am ready for some chili and Navy bean soup.  Thank you  for comment on Sydney.

BrokenLug - Hope you are having a great trip, be safe! 

Lani - Aww, the FFRC kitties!  Safe travels for Mike. 

Lori - Love the pics from National Fire Pup Day.

kb - You need to do what Jeff does for football. If he watches his team they lose, if he doesn't watch his team they win!  ;D ;D

tsk - Yummy, homemade applesauce.  Have you ever tried a Crispin apple?  They are so good.  I am waiting for Jeff's co-worker to bring me some, as he goes to an apple orchard in PA, not far from here.

Hi to karen, Puff, tig and all   :)

kbshcb

« Reply #9718 on: October 01, 2023, 12:34:04 PM »

Well at the moment I have pixelating going on (comcast) with Spanish speaking background (explaining back ground voices) but subtitles in English.....grrr..it's a local broadcast channel. and commercials don't pixelate and all English!

Somehow comcast has crossed it's wires..they have an all Spanish sports channel.
Believe me I've checked all the boxes of my settings and even tried chatting with a robot...
So Lisa - ask Jeff if that counts as not watching!
If so we are now behind...so maybe I need to shut it off?.....LOL

kbshcb

« Reply #9719 on: October 01, 2023, 12:36:27 PM »

tsk - I know, how time flies.

However, I can't think of Ollie as old or even middle age yet. Maybe because my larger GSD lived to 16 1/2 or Ollie still mostly acts younger....??????..but as he let's say Matures he may change somewhat, LOL