Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 1002796 times)

karengramke

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #6165 on: June 19, 2023, 11:30:20 AM »

Lani, thanks for the sloth reports and bird news!   Hope the kids are doing or did a good job weeding!
The worst problem with a drought is the news for farmers, animals and birds.  Grocery prices will stay up for produce with the drought in Illinois and other parts of the midwest!  Folks can decide what to do with small yards and gardens as long as there isn’t a  water rationing!   I have read, do not mow and if you do set the mower to cut high!   Not our problem this year, so far!

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #6166 on: June 19, 2023, 11:56:15 AM »

some bounce

Puff... LOL. I know, right? I spent an hour deadheading plants this a.m. in the humidity. I came inside and changed from outside clothes to inside clothes... eventually.  ::)

Time to move the sprinkler...

TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6167 on: June 19, 2023, 12:58:33 PM »

KAREN  You are getting a lot of rain.  Bro and I were discussing the fact that we very seldom get an old fashioned thunderstorm any more.      My Mom used to have a rhubarb patch as well.  I had thought about it but Tim doesn't like rhubarb so I just pick it up at the farmer's market when in season and make a bunch of strawberry rhubarb sauce and freeze in small containers for me  ;D

KB   I would not mow.  Let the grass " shade itself".  That's my vote.  could be all wrong  LOL

PUFF  SIL Barb texted this AM about 6:30.  She was sitting on her enclosed porch with a view of her entire back yard gardens and was blown away when she saw a hummer taking a bath in a little pool of water on a hosta leaf!!!

LANI  Thanks for the sloth report - At the zoo last week they have a sloth environment - never any action  LOL   I didn't win in the albatross naming contest  LOL  Good win tho  Manaaki who we seeing stretching those wings ;D
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #6168 on: June 19, 2023, 01:02:27 PM »

Lani - love the news about these albatross.

Chris and I started the latest David Attenborough series about mass migrations....
Can't watch him anymore...in the second episode he showed the Layson albatross (NW of Hawaii) and the migration of the tiger sharks that wait for the fledging of both the black footed albatross and the Layson albatross...well you can only imagine what he shows....
For me, when it's all negative (sprinkled with a little inspiration) in his shows well I won't "hear" his message anymore thank you very much, LOL

Puff - I hope you mean retirement age and not working instead of age.... ;) ;) at 71 I feel oh I don't know just fine. It's not my age that is determinate of whether or not to mow....it's the heat and what's best for the grass but sure do hate looking at tree seedlings all over.
So yes, due to retirement I can chose...I will let my muse take over for me on this decision.

tsk - just read your post.....you are probably correct...will need to not look out there and let those trees bug me for a bit longer, LOL

karengramke

« Reply #6169 on: June 19, 2023, 01:39:47 PM »

Tsk, I think it is all about El Nino and the jet stream!

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #6170 on: June 19, 2023, 02:23:35 PM »

TSK... Luv the story about the hummer!
Heading to the goodbye dinner for Camper's granddaughter who is leaving for "boot camp" soon.
Dinner at a restaurant and dessert back at their house... where the PUPPIES live! LOL.
Then, finish sprinkling when we get home.

SED
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 03:26:41 PM by camperstig »
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

LisaG1967

« Reply #6171 on: June 19, 2023, 02:43:16 PM »

Phyl - Thanks for the cam pics.  That is a nice hover or fledge? I am not sure what Misty will do the day they leave.  I am hoping for a smooth transition.

tsk - LOL, Lulu doing her gymnastics in the middle of the night!

karen - I wish I slept like a log, but I am a very light sleeper and hear everything. Be safe with that weather.  Mama called earlier from her car, and I could hear it beating down on the windshield.  That is what Jeff does with the mowing, sets it higher.

E4E - You're welcome.   :)

kb - Oh, I have to change the channel when I see shows like that. 

Lani - Yea, I cannot keep Misty away from those kitties.   ;D  Thank you for the TRR update.  Good to see everyone is doing good. Awww, SP finally has an official name.  Mannaki, very pretty.

tig - Enjoy your evening. 

I am so tired, so if I forget to pop in later...Have a good night, everyone!

kbshcb

« Reply #6172 on: June 19, 2023, 03:44:14 PM »

Love this pic by Lynn Mall...white egret in Bloomington, town I grew up in....and my neighboring town now.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6173 on: June 19, 2023, 04:38:03 PM »

TIG  Congrats to Camper's graddtr - Will be a tough time but I'm sure she will love every minute.  Going out to water when done here - All in the shade by then.

KB  Stunning photo of the egret.
Chicagoland

oldguy

« Reply #6174 on: June 19, 2023, 06:44:27 PM »

Good Evening Beakers

It was on the hot side today - official high of 87, but my car said it was 93 - ACI of 75 today, so hazy but breathable...  Only got 1/4 inch of rain for the weekend - all in a half hour in the middle of the night.  Low 90s and dry for the week.

Grilled chicken breasts and hamburgers for the card game - won 1 out of 3 - most of the night was bad hands until the last 2 hands of game 3 - was down by almost 4000 points to win it by going out with both teams over 10k points

Went to our favorite Mexican place for lunch on Sunday and then relaxed for the rest of the day...

Some videos to enjoy...

This is what happens when 2 youtube musicians get together on stage...
Anthony Vincent and D0vydas
The Best Singer on YouTube Joins Me on Stage and Steals The Show   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxUs2QRCE08
If you don't know about Anthony - https://www.youtube.com/tensecondsongs
     I wrote a metal song about my Cat   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTufAQz5MI

Woman's front yard cactus suddenly shoots up 25 feet, 36 years after planting   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R75tbPLHb9E

Big Wood Chips Give Inky the Chickadee a Hard Time in the Nest Box   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTb5DZZkV2c

Changing - Tico & the Man Frank Maglio   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmhBkLqcmeE

😺Two meals with completely different personalities 🤭   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e54uuqLa1I

Maru shows off his amazing paw pads from the transparent bowl   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G-fBF2Lick
Maru is playing in the bathroom 10   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4B7qP1Z5IQ

Quarantine Kids play "Friday I'm in Love"   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szrkTXqvIK4
Quarantine Kids play "Fooled Around and Fell in Love"   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_xYb3hLLE

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Puff

« Reply #6175 on: June 19, 2023, 06:47:58 PM »

KAREN  You are getting a lot of rain.  Bro and I were discussing the fact that we very seldom get an old fashioned thunderstorm any more.      My Mom used to have a rhubarb patch as well.  I had thought about it but Tim doesn't like rhubarb so I just pick it up at the farmer's market when in season and make a bunch of strawberry rhubarb sauce and freeze in small containers for me  ;D

KB   I would not mow.  Let the grass " shade itself".  That's my vote.  could be all wrong  LOL

PUFF  SIL Barb texted this AM about 6:30.  She was sitting on her enclosed porch with a view of her entire back yard gardens and was blown away when she saw a hummer taking a bath in a little pool of water on a hosta leaf!!!

LANI  Thanks for the sloth report - At the zoo last week they have a sloth environment - never any action  LOL   I didn't win in the albatross naming contest  LOL  Good win tho  Manaaki who we seeing stretching those wings ;D

They are so entertaining!!!  Even the kitchen bay - I had variety of 10 between the two hanging feeders - can't see the pole feeder but there could have been more.  More baby goldfinch and housefinch showing up.

I've been meaning to mention - there has been quite a few mini monarchs here this summer.   Viceroy?

Lots of scenes to watch - My actual written list marked out 2 of  five.  Errand day tomorrow.  Oh, well, guess that defaults to Wednesday.  LOL    :P

P

karengramke

« Reply #6176 on: June 19, 2023, 08:11:42 PM »

Hurricane Brett has formed in the Atlantic and is expected to enter the Caribbean!  Cindy is probably forming behind Brett.  These storms
Are quite unusual as they normally do not form in this area this early.  Due to climate change the Atlantic ocean is much warmer than it normally is in June and it is feeding these storms!   Hang  in there Baz!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 08:40:58 PM by karengramke »

kbshcb

« Reply #6177 on: June 19, 2023, 08:47:48 PM »

Oh oh...Ollie man the fly catcher has spotted a fly in my bedroom....I won't sleep and neither will he until he catches it....
We came downstairs to cool off, watch the tele and hit the sack....

I didn't and still don't see it...but he's guarding the other side of the bed, LOL

Later...

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #6178 on: June 19, 2023, 09:59:18 PM »

Some bounce
I'm stuffed. Turns out the dinner was hosted by the parents with a select menu and party room at Olive garden. I had the chicken gnocchi soup, some salad and salmon with broccoli. A couple cookies and slice of lemon cake.
SED

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #6179 on: June 19, 2023, 10:11:33 PM »

Karen - Nice memory of your Grandmother's Rhubarb pie - I bet it was so delicious!!

Kb - My suggestion with the drought is to hold off on mowing!  The longer grass will help shade the ground.

Puff - Always fun to watch the birds - enjoy the Robins and any other birds that come your way! ;D

Lani - Thank you for Sloth updates!  Thank you for Albatross!

Tig - Wow, you spent a good amount of time in your yard - hope you got to rest!

Tsk - How fun that your SIL got to see a hummer bathing in a little pool of water!

Kb - I am with you - I would feel as you do with watching David Attenborough series of mass migrations.  I would not keep tuning in, as my heart would go out to the small youngsters.  I have such a soft heart - that I cry at most things anymore. :-[

Tig - Have a nice evening out for dinner and celebrating Camper's Granddaughter.

LisaG - You don't get enough sleep, so any rest you can get - go for it because you deserve and need it! ;D

OG - Glad you won 1 out of 3 - sounds like a rough night at cards!  Happy you had a nice Father's Day! ;D

Puff - Yaay for the finches you are seeing!  ;D

Kb - Ollie and that pesky fly! ::)  Hope by now he has taken care of it!

Beakers have a good night.