Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California  (Read 231324 times)

Emyrauld

Re: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California
« Reply #390 on: March 06, 2015, 01:17:25 PM »

There was some speculation it might have been a spotted skunk.  Apparently a small variety is known on the island.  Others thought it might be a young racoon but no one was sure if they are present there.  From what I saw it was more of a mummified pelt than food.  I don't think we are going to know.  Birds should give a presentation to the cam and make it easier for us. 
A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

Emyrauld

« Reply #391 on: March 06, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »

From IWS
Video of A48 playing with her mysterious object formerly referred to as mummified pelt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LGdAqrVhhE

A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

Keystone

« Reply #392 on: March 06, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »

Oh Emy, LOL.  Whatever it was gave her something to do while she was on a break.  Can't wait to see this couple when they have babies.  Their first right? 

Emyrauld

« Reply #393 on: March 06, 2015, 07:43:38 PM »

Yes Key, their first, but not for the want of trying.  A most unlucky pair last year.  Broken egg twice.  Her first ever.  Previous year A40's mate A27 left and never came back.  He stayed on the eggs a very long time...I can't remember how long but may have beeninto the second day.  When he finally left for food, the ravens moved in.  I believe they think A48 may have driven A27 off, but I am not sure.  MPmom will know.  A successful hatch will make A48 a first time Mom. 

Keystone

« Reply #394 on: March 06, 2015, 08:12:23 PM »

I'm sorry Emy but I have to ask.  40 hasn't had anything either.  So this year they will both shine?  Yes they will.  Keeping my fingers crossed for these two.   :-*   Can't wait.

Emyrauld

« Reply #395 on: March 07, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »

You will find a write up on the Channel Islands research birds here:  not fully updated yet though I think

http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/index.php?showtopic=1990

I took a screen cap of the A40 and A48 info.  A40 raised a chick -- A72

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
« Reply #396 on: March 07, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »

Yep, 27 disappeared and dad sat for 2 or 3 days on the eggs. He had to leave for food. I have pictures of the ravens taking the egglets. Saddest pics I have seen.
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

MpMom

« Reply #397 on: March 08, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »

Pat, I will never forget that day when the Ravens took the eggs. I was yelling at my computer to try & scare them away.

From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

Emyrauld

« Reply #398 on: March 11, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »

Dear Starlings:  Friday is day 35.  You know what that means.  So quit bugging the Dad. You are flirting with disaster!

Here is the video by Eagle Duo at IWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9luusiJnYok

MpMom

« Reply #399 on: March 11, 2015, 03:23:27 PM »

Poor dad & those pesty Starlings. Thanks for the video Emy.
I remember posting a pic before the eggs were laid of mom taking a starling right out of the air. Was a quick snack for her.

From a sign in Missouri.

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #400 on: March 11, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »

MpMom~~~Great pictures! I was watching these nests the last two years and was so horrified when the Raven took the eaglets!!! >:( >:( >:(

Pat, you meant to say egglets in your post - right?  The raven took unhatched eggs - Not hatched eaglets.  Correct? 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

MpMom

« Reply #401 on: March 11, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »

Right Baz.

From a sign in Missouri.

baziunc

« Reply #402 on: March 11, 2015, 10:35:25 PM »

Right Baz.

Thanks, Mp.  I was about to get "cornfused" - lol.  Bad enough it was the unhatched eggs, so I'm glad to get confirmation it wasn't also hatchlings.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Emyrauld

« Reply #403 on: March 12, 2015, 06:07:15 PM »

Posted a few minutes ago by Dr. Sharpe on  IWS Chat:

"iwsciber 3:42 PM - I think it is a bit early for an internal pip. The chicks usually break into the aircell and begin vocalizing about 48 hours before hatching. About 24 hours after the internal pip they will make a hole in the shell, and then about 24 hours after that they will open up the shell in about an hour's time.
iwsciber 3:43 PM - I wouldn't expect an internal pip until at least Saturday or Sunday."

baziunc

« Reply #404 on: March 13, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »

Posted a few minutes ago by Dr. Sharpe on  IWS Chat:

"iwsciber 3:42 PM - I think it is a bit early for an internal pip. The chicks usually break into the aircell and begin vocalizing about 48 hours before hatching. About 24 hours after the internal pip they will make a hole in the shell, and then about 24 hours after that they will open up the shell in about an hour's time.
iwsciber 3:43 PM - I wouldn't expect an internal pip until at least Saturday or Sunday."

Thanks, Emy!