Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602220 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24915 on: May 11, 2022, 11:03:51 AM »

3:56 on them fish
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24916 on: May 11, 2022, 06:27:05 PM »

Two fish ...  25:32      92°  (3:47 pm)  Sunny and bright, and windy too, thankfully.

I hope the day has gone well for everyone.  I have no complaints about mine.

Nope ...  Putin is not going to do us any favors.  They kept talking about his so called health problems.  I doubt they exist.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #24917 on: May 12, 2022, 05:15:59 AM »

Carolyn, Cubs, a Scary Face, and Playful Tasha - UPDATE May 11, 2022
Carolyn with cubs
Carolyn with cubs

Yesterday, Carolyn was photographed nursing her cubs appropriately near a mature white pine with the kind of bark cubs can most safely climb. I suspect we’ll see a lot more of these cubs and learn their sexes for the record so we can give them proper names to know them by as they grow up.

Raven
Raven
Raven grooming mate
Raven grooming mate
This raven is a new face looking scary in the window when its feathers are a little wet and puffed up but can look sweet when talking, smooching, and grooming its mate.

Tasha looked especially energetic yesterday, throwing this log around and having fun as "Taught" caught in this 2-minute music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0IeSuRfrI

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24918 on: May 12, 2022, 05:20:51 AM »

hi you guys its 74 here another really hot but rain tomorrow so cooler but you know rain nice update today. gots lots to do as soon as it is light out going to mow the dogs yard.

GGU GB Ukraine!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/CF055D4AF6AB?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #24919 on: May 12, 2022, 09:30:34 AM »

hi neva got dogs yard mowed way earlier good cause hot sun out i doubt putin has health issues too such a liar and if he does dont care please die.

The better part of a Russian army battalion—50 or so vehicles and up to a thousand troops—in recent days tried to cross a pontoon bridge spanning the Siverskyi Donets River, running west to east between the separatist provinces of Donetsk and Luhansk in eastern Ukraine.

Ukrainian artillery caught them at the river bank—and destroyed them. The rapid destruction of around three dozen tanks and other armored vehicles, along with the bridge itself, underscores Russia’s deepening woes as its troops try, and fail, to make meaningful gains in eastern Ukraine’s Donbas region.

“We still assess Russian ground force in the Donbas to be slow and uneven,” an unnamed U.S. Defense Department official told reporters on Tuesday. The Russians’ inability to cross rivers might explain their sloth.

says russians now staying on their side and putin threats on nukes again if finland joins nato finland is sayin you dont tell us what to do world cant be a prisoner to putin maybe someone over there will go after putin. my maybe cat says maybe...
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #24920 on: May 13, 2022, 05:05:56 AM »

Ted’s First Walk and Weight - UPDATE May 12, 2022
Rose breasted Grosbeak female
Rose-breasted Grosbeak female
At the Bear Center, which is now open Thursday to Monday each week 10AM to 4PM, (after May 27 it will be 9-6 daily) Ted took his first walk. He looked a little arthritic but walked right along to get on the scale for a treat and a weight—518 pounds (235 kg). That’s where the big action was today. https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanBearCenter/videos/374262631301630

At the WRI it was a rainy desk day but still exciting to me what was happening outside the window. It is nice to see my old acquaintance herring gulls showing up—up to their old tricks. I say old tricks because they can live some 30 years with the record being 49. They know the program but each has its own way of getting me to throw bologna. Gull 8 and 4, named for the two dots on its iris as if on a clock (visible in the picture), comes to the window and pecks the glass repeatedly until I get up and move toward the door, which tells her she should fly to the feeding spot where she catches the bologna in the air. I don’t hand-feed them anymore because they peck too hard when they miss their bologna target.

Hummingbird male
Hummingbird male
Another gull just stands at the window and looks in until I get up and the gull does about the same as 8 and 4.

Another gives one very hard peck on the door glass which gets me moving.

Another stands in the feeding spot and looks at me from maybe 10-12 feet away, looking for action.

Another looks hungry like that but is not a catcher. It trusts me to walk up and place the bologna near it to take it.

Gull
Gull
There’s more but I don’t know what in their evolution would tie them to a human feeder like me. I just know it makes me feel good to be appreciated.

Same with the deer. It used to be that they’d run when I went out onto the second floor deck crunching snow above their heads. Some still run, but most now look up with pleading eyes and start jockeying for position knowing food will soon be falling from the sky. But that behavior is waning now that grass is growing fast, although a week or more later than usual.

Purple finch
Purple finch
What was most exciting out the window was two new birds of the year as well as a purple finch posing perfectly during a period of brightness between showers. One of the two new birds was this ruby-throated hummingbird—a male, who generally show up first. He didn’t pose well for the picture but he got his picture taken for the record. There was no bright sun to light his red ruby throat. The other new bird was a female rose-breasted grosbeak that won the large beak contest of the day. The grosbeak is only twice the weight of a purple finch but has about triple the beak.

Shadow came by one of the feeders’ homes last evening at 8:45 PM and walked on. Bears, too, are eating grass like Katrina was wolfing down a few days ago, and they are being seen less at the feeding stations. Shadow’s son Spanky is here, though. I haven’t seen Chloe and the yearlings for a couple days and wonder if she might be off laying down scent trails already. Only one 2-year-old male has been coming, and he is climbing a white pine, maybe for the night.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24921 on: May 13, 2022, 05:10:53 AM »

Senator Rand Paul single-handedly holds up $40bn US aid for Ukraine
Democratic and Republican Senate leaders both supported package but Paul objected to scale of spending

The top Democrat and Republican in the US Senate joined forces in a rare moment of unity on Thursday in an attempt to pass $40bn in aid for Ukraine, only to be stymied by a single Republican lawmaker: the Kentucky libertarian Rand Paul.

Faced with the prospect of an extended delay for the package that passed the House of Representatives on Tuesday, the Senate majority leader, Chuck Schumer, and his Republican counterpart, Mitch McConnell, sought to move forward on the aid package only to be blocked by Paul, a fiscal hawk who objects to the amount of spending proposed.

Avril Haines in Washington on Tuesday: ‘There are a lot of things that he would do in the context of escalation before he would get to nuclear weapons.’
Putin could use nuclear weapon if he felt war being lost – US intelligence chief
Read more
The stalemate delayed passage of the measure into next week.

The Senate has scheduled an initial procedural vote on the bill for late Monday afternoon.

It was unclear whether that vote would then speed passage of the Ukraine aid. Alternatively, passage could come around the middle of next week if any senator wants to force a series of legislative steps before a final vote.

As the Ukraine aid bill became caught in the Senate’s procedural gears, Schumer pleaded for fast action: “The package is ready to go, the vast majority of senators on both sides of the aisle want it.”

He added: “If Senator Paul persists in his reckless demands … all he will accomplish is to single-handedly delay desperately needed Ukraine aid.”

But Paul was not moved.

calhound

« Reply #24922 on: May 13, 2022, 05:18:32 AM »

Hi you guys its 68 here big huge thunderstorms on the way now saw big lighting to the west got to go to the store too. nice update dr rogers sure has a room with a view. so nice he feeds all and cares for them. i am so disgusted with that rand paul cant stand him in the first place putin will be so thrilled to hear about this. just thrilled. i wondered how someone like putin be in charge and yet here we have good old paul. so hoping uk and other countries who do not have a paul can send the aid   ukraine turning this around you can tell when they get those weapons what a jerk paul is shame on anyone voting for him. i read many military experts say russia will be finish in 90 days and they think really lot less than that. 

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/98055D541CA4?z=0

calhound

« Reply #24923 on: May 14, 2022, 05:22:50 AM »

hi you guys its nice out its 64 and i saw the big moon and stars. saw ukraine has taken back bunch of towns.

hi joho! hope all is okay with you and your family. did you go out and ride your bike or walk?

Hi neva! saw winds and fires in NM hope you are not near any of those and weather channel showed how low water is for CA and other state. :(

GB Ukraine

griz barking

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/35055D52253D?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24924 on: May 14, 2022, 06:36:01 AM »

6:21  Went to see Mary and baby yesterday.  Was a nice visit.  All was well. 
 Debbie was there too.  She was hold baby the whole time. 
I did take a walk in  Columbia Station Park early, but still got sweaty.  Back and legs are working pretty good.  Left foot is sore.  Lower back hurts in morning, but Tylenol works on it.  I can go any where. 
No bike yet.  Not sure when I can do this.  Will have to ask doctor on Monday.  I think it will be allowed soon.
Sounds like bears and eagles and TV are doing OK.  Cal is sore, but not talking about it.  She is so brave. Where you at Neva?
No morning stuff done yet, so I GTG.
GBU all and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #24925 on: May 14, 2022, 11:15:03 AM »

Ukraine sends images of dead Russian soldiers to their families. Hear the responses they received

When someone you love is missing and you know that something happened to them, you could spend every moment of the rest of your life wondering if they are in pain, are suffering and need you. For a parent, there are worse things than death, prospect worse even than the death of a child.
Sending information is a kindness that exists relative to real grief, brutal yes but also clearly true.

The decency of Ukrainian troops is admirable. Actually went as far as collecting dead Russian troops to send them to their families. Would the Russians go to such lengths for Ukrainian troops? NEVER. We've seen what they've done to innocent folks in Ukraine. I must come across negative comments from anyone about Ukraine.

The war crimes these Russians have committed are so sickening that it's hard to believe they are even human for what they have done to innocent people.

At least this way Russian parents don't have to keep waiting for a government that does not tell anything to their families.
RIP to all Ukrainians and Russians who did not want this war but died in it

If putin is claiming that Russia is not at war with Ukraine then the Russian military personnel are not protected by the laws of war. Because it is not a war then any Russian that damages property is a criminal and any Russian who has killed someone either by gun, artillery shell, rocket, missile or bomb is a murderer. If It is not a war then they are not military personnel but just civilians and are under civil law and can be arrested and charged with murder, rape, theft, destruction of property, trespass, civil unrest, illegal operation of a vehicle, unlawful detention, unlawful use of a firearm, and multiple other offences depending upon the law in Ukraine. As it is not a war they cannot claim that they are just following orders.

In Ukraine people see their dead loved ones in reality.

Russians should turn their anger on the real cause of this atrocity.

It's ironic. The country being invaded taking the responsibilities of the invaders.

neva

« Reply #24926 on: May 14, 2022, 05:32:32 PM »

Sand Scape ...  21:48      101°  (4:27 pm)  Sunny and bright; very slight breeze.  The lizards are coming out, and the cats sit inside the window watching them.  They love it!

I agree with every word that you posted, Cal.  It made me think of my five children and their kids ... if they disappeared, I'd rather know than not know what had happened to them, as hard as that might be.  Maybe they also will begin to see truth, and what Putin is doing to his people.

Hi Joho ...  I admire that you keep on, keeping on.  Little by little, you'll get there. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 06:28:08 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24927 on: May 15, 2022, 04:57:22 AM »

Sunshine, Rain, and Greenup - UPDATE May 14, 2022
Dustin 5/13/22
Dustin

Greenup is about a week late, but it’s finally the time where food is everywhere. Tender, digestible greens, especially grasses, are coming up and are still young enough that they haven’t fully developed defensive secondary compounds. And willow catkins have arrived big time.

But I don’t know if that is the whole story about why we haven’t seen Chloe, Lincoln, and Charlie Brown for six days now or Herbie for five. Could females be laying down scents for males to follow already? But all the food that was out last night was gone this morning. Could it be that the bears are just out using their vision to find wild foods by day and topping off here at night where they don’t have to look for food?

First year female redpoll
First year female redpoll
It’s always a guessing game until we see them again to get some clues. I wish we had radio collars on the bears so we could know as we go.

I don’t know what 2-year-old Dustin (above) was thinking in the picture taken yesterday but he looked thoughtful. I’m always glad to see him after the good memories he created as a yearling last year. Today, no bears have shown up so far, and it’s 7:45 PM.

The redpoll pictured is the only one I’ve seen since 3 were here the morning of May 4. The flock of about a thousand left late on April 27 or on April 28. Since then, there were about 40 each day from April 29 to May 3, and only 3 the early morning of May 4. This lone scruffy first-year female that got left behind probably couldn’t keep up with the flock from her looks. We’ll see how long she stays.

Turkey vulture with sun behind cloud
Turkey vulture with sun behind cloud
Turkey vulture with wings spread
Turkey vulture with wings spread in full sun
The event that made my eyes get wide was what this turkey vulture did when the sun suddenly burst bright from behind a cloud. Instead of sitting and preening as it had been, it immediately turned its back to the sun and held its wings out to fully catch it. When the sun hid behind another cloud, it sat normally. The sun burst out and it was immediately back with its wings spread. The temperature wasn’t that cold, about 61°F, but the vulture wanted to fully take advantage of the warming sun. I had never before noticed the blue iridescence on the wing feathers.

Hey, after writing all this speculation, Lincoln and Charlie Brown just showed up with Chloe. Not as much mystery as I thought. Now I just wonder where she’s been. If they leave some scat I’ll check to see if it’s full of grass.

calhound

« Reply #24928 on: May 15, 2022, 05:21:46 AM »

hi you guys its 64 here rain coming. nice update and happy dr rogers bears showed up! His TVS are brown scout and them are black.  love dustins face those eyes

hi joho Hope you are better today!  :)

Hi Neva! not knowing what happen to your loved one would be worse than knowing . always wondering that would be awful and for some it is years ago a creep kidnap someones daughter and said he did murder her but killed himself before he told them where her body was. how awful. i do think russia people are starting to see the real truth.  i read where they can get online thru a virtual private network that putin cant see people on it wearing pillow cases over their heads they were talking about ukraine and putin and warning that be sure to use this vpn not others cause they will sell your info and your ip address will show up gov come and get you 15 years in prison said its not illegal to google but it is on anything gov says you cant read so this vpn that runs this for russians does not charge anything cause like he said they have no money no paypay no credit cards they do it free to help russians know the truth. said millions have gotten on it. wont be long till people over there know the truth.  if all the people say this is enough putin cant put all of them in prison.

GB Ukraine!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D5055D537CB6?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #24929 on: May 15, 2022, 12:12:27 PM »

3:17 on totem