Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602039 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24900 on: May 08, 2022, 05:36:48 AM »

The Excitement of Spring - UPDATE May 7, 2022
Herbie
Herbie (son of Jewel)

I know it was wrong of me in a way with so much needing to get done, but a day like this comes maybe once a year. Yesterday, Woods Lake was black. The ice was getting thin. By this afternoon, nearly all of it had melted. That meant I had to call the best canoe paddler I know—Donna. One thing that makes her the best is that she does all the paddling as she positions me for the best pictures. Another draw to the water this day was that with the lake melting so fast, the first loon I’ve seen this year landed.

New Beaver Lodge and WRI
New Beaver Lodge and WRI
WRI Cabin from old beaver lodge
WRI Cabin from old beaver lodge
Donna arrived and we looked for beavers and the loon. We took pictures of all five beaver lodges—from the one built in 1977 to the one built last year. At the new den, we listened for baby beavers but heard nothing. We took a picture of it with the WRI Cabin in the background some 150 feet from the lodge. From the oldest lodge, we took a picture across the lake toward the WRI Cabin where I could see my second floor windows where I’m usually looking the other direction.

Loon
Common Loon

Then it was time to see how close Donna could get us to the loon. She never paddled directly toward it. She angled this way and that edging ever closer for the shot. I like the colors. The blue sky coloring the highlights in the near water and the green conifers on shore coloring the water beyond. The sun glinted nicely on the loon, especially on the iridescent neck band.

Lynn with Camera by Donna Rogers
Lynn with Camera by Donna Rogers

But the day wasn’t done. Toward evening, I saw one of the beavers swimming near the beaver dam and had to get a picture of it. By the time I got in position, the beaver had moved on, but it had done me a favor. It had gotten me in perfect position for a picture I didn’t anticipate—my first view of the year! The picture is of Herbie who many of you saw born to Jewel back in 2012. He looked in fine shape as he used the beaver dam to cross the stream that drains Woods Lake—with his reflection in the calm water, a nice bonus.

Herbie was coming for a visit and I tried to get him on the scale for a spring weight, but it was not to be. Chloe arrived with Lincoln, and Charlie Brown and told Herbie it was not the best time for him to come. She sounded like she meant it, so Herbie walked off, probably to return during the night.

Tomorrow I’ll work harder at the computer to make up for this day.

Thank you Donna, Herbie, Loon, and Beaver for making the day what it was; and Thank you all for all you do.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24901 on: May 08, 2022, 05:46:10 AM »

hi you guys its 58 here i saw stars when i went in the barn but gone when i came out says partly cloudy i hope no rain. great update good pictures so fun to see herbie! he looks like his mom i hope he goes to see her today on mothers day and she likes it.those mom bears sometimes. nice of donna paddling for dr rogers and nice lens he has on his camera and wri just beautiful well crud dogs howling loud jim had an accident yesterday at almost 5 pm i was working in the barn and justin came in said jim wanted to talk to me i thought okay justins truck right at the door jim very upset said he was working on the gator it came outta of gear and ran over his leg he said it was broken he could not move it so justin took him to the hospital and  i had to get a bale of hay in the barn from the house i gotta go griz will not shut up anyway he did not break it put a deal on it.

the ky derby was so good yesterday i watched it with ra on our email odds of 80-1 that horse was awesome and then acting up after that race full of spirit maybe another triple winner!

prayer for new baby joho

GB Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/84055D52CB7E?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24902 on: May 08, 2022, 09:54:10 AM »

6:02   49 degrees sunny.
 Baby almost here.  Debbie kicked out by Mary.  Matt in room but looking a little white.  No sleep for either last night.  Matt not medically tolerant.  GTG GBU and GB Ukraine.
 Happy Mother's Day to all mothers everywhere.

neva

« Reply #24903 on: May 08, 2022, 07:01:22 PM »

Green eyes ...  41:22       91°  (4:51 pm)   Sunny and of course, windy.

What a lens Dr. Rodgers has on that camera!  wow!

Happy Mother's Day to all who stop in here and are mothers.... of furry and feathered ones, as well.

I hope all goes well for your family, Joho, and the new little one.

Cal ...  I'm glad that Jim didn't break his leg.  Whatever happened, I hope it is something readily recovered from.  Take care all of you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 07:04:17 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24904 on: May 09, 2022, 05:16:23 AM »

hi you guys its 68 here cloudy hope no rain i went to mows the dogs yard yesterday morning and it started to rain so i put on my chiefs rain jacket and mowed mowed in the rain then i mowed first part of horse pasture with the graves. then it stopped raining.

hi joho hope baby is here and everyone is okay.

hi neva well jim said they want him to call the surgeon today torn tendons or something so still not good. he is wearing a leg mobilizer pretty upsetting as i do not get around well and stuff i need help on so i am praying it is not something that will be huge. griz is barking jim needs help

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7B055D54763F?z=0

GB Ukraine

johoward

« Reply #24905 on: May 09, 2022, 09:41:37 AM »

6:02  Old Blue eyes.

Sebastian 7lbs even born yesterday at 1:22 pm.  All is well.  Mom and Dan and Baby all fine.
Thank you God.

Will finally see them today at noon.  Got to get started soon.

CUL EV 1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #24906 on: May 09, 2022, 11:40:06 AM »

hi joho! yay baby mom dad okay! yes ty god have a good visit! :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24907 on: May 09, 2022, 03:36:18 PM »

Blue eyes ...  41:15           88°  (1:15)  Bright and sunny, a good breeze going ... 

I am so sorry, Cal.  You're both in my thoughts and prayers

Congratulations, Joho.  (I love that name).
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #24908 on: May 09, 2022, 03:48:37 PM »

hi neva! jim is alot better not even wearing his deal on his leg walking on it said union saw his crutch said can you walk cause if not you cant go to florida jim threw crutch to the side walk 16 steps so uaw said okay your going. jim pain level is like .5 mine is when its ten the most i go see a doctor. so i think he sprain it he thinks so too.he carries one crutch in case he was cooking hamburgers griz comes over cause he wants a hamburger hit that crutch leaning on kitchen counter hit him on his head >:( boy got better while eating his hamburger its hotter here than your place! 90 ac on in the barn just checked again its 75 in the barn set at 75 little raccoonie looking out from below where old bales of hay are she was panting i turned on her big fan boy she liked that laid down took a nap maybe says i dont know about that fan i got her bed behind brownie trying to get in my lap 150 lb lapdog so maybes bed not far from fan. im heading back out check on everyone again.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #24909 on: May 10, 2022, 05:09:35 AM »

Big Bear, Baby Bears, and Beauty - UPDATE May 9, 2022
Katrina and cubs
Katrina and cubs

The big bear was a mystery bear until the team and photos solved it. It’s Katrina, Braveheart’s 3-year-old daughter. The baby bears are Katrina’s first litter, and, like her mother did back in 2005, she had three cubs right off. In fact, of the six bears that had 3 cubs at the age of 3, four of them were from Braveheart and her descendents: Samantha, Katrina, and Ethyl (daughter of Samantha).Mystery Female beside Hwy 169
Female by Hwy. 169

In total, of the 26 mothers who had cubs at three, six (23%) had one, 13 (50%) had two, six (23%) had three, and one (4%) had four, making the average litter size 2.16 with the help of Braveheart. The one that messed up the pattern by beating Braveheart and her descendent with a litter of four was Keefer, daughter of RC, granddaughter of Shadow. But Braveheart would be proud to know that her descendents continued her high early reproductive rate of three cubs.

Of the 19 that had their first cubs at four, three (16%) had one, 12 (63%) had two, and four (21%) had three, making the average litter size 2.05 cubs.

Katrina and cubs
Katrina and cubs
Katrina's blaze
Katrina's blaze
Katrinas cubs
Katrina and cubs
The back story about hungry mother Katrina is that she was eating grass within sight of Highway 169 and cars were stopping to take pictures, including me. We couldn’t see markings well enough to figure out who this bear was. But in one of the pictures, Katrina put her foreleg forward just far enough to reveal that she was lactating, narrowing the choices. Five hours later, she brought her three cubs to one of the feeders a mile and a half away. Pictures there showed her to be the same bears as was by the highway and they included a good picture of her chest blaze as well as cute pictures of her cubs. The team checked. It was Katrina.

Yellow rumped warbler male
Yellow-rumped warbler male

The Beauty was this Yellow-Rumped Warbler, which is usually the first kind of warbler to arrive. It was my first view of a warbler this year, and it was outside my window on the railing. What is new to me is that it has a sunflower seed heart in its beak. On the Internet I couldn’t find any mention that they eat birdseed or any seed. They are insect eaters. I think the late spring is the reason. I saw a similar thing some years ago with three other species of warbler in a late spring with no insects to speak of yet. Cape May, Tennessee, and Nashville Warblers were eating nectar from wild plum flowers. It was so unusual that I wrote it up Nectar-feeding by Cape May, Tennessee, and Nashville Warblers in Minnesota.

Just 12 minutes ago, I got a call that Shadow was probably seen! One person saw the unusual stride. Another saw the light face. We’ll know more tomorrow. Sounds to me like the second oldest black bear on record has added another year, making her 35. We’ll know for sure soon.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24910 on: May 10, 2022, 05:18:16 AM »

hi you guys its 75 here 73 in the barn two raccoonies laying in front of their big fan one maybe cat pearl and sweets birds some mice. good update but scares me for kat to be close to the highway. little cubs just so cute such a pretty bird got to go get groceries pretty soon have to flea and tick and dogs today. have to get penny when she is laying down and not acting like a idiot and do it fast. crazy dog. lots of rules to penny. jim is better so hoping it will be just a sprain not sure when he sees the doctor i think tomorrow. he can tie his shoe take a shower he was down at his barn yesterday him and justin hooking up the sprayer justin coming today to spray the other hay field.  it going to be another record setting heat today mid 90's >:( i hear cats arguing oh the basement below me sure one of them is ralphie pulver the other. they just talked never really get into a fight. i gotta keep moving on here

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F3055D5AB65F?z=0

GB Ukraine

johoward

« Reply #24911 on: May 10, 2022, 09:26:26 AM »

5:25 Baby Sebastian coming home today.  Mom and Dad very happy and proud of their boy. 
Boss being introduced to his smell by Debbie bringing baby's used clothing and  blankets from hospital for Boss to smell.  He is getting to be a very patient gentle dog.
He does like to try catching bees and flies by leaping high into the air.  He does this on walks too.  Deb wants him to stop.  So he does not pull her down.  I saw him pulling his heavy bag of rocks across the yard.  He has a special pulling harness, and is very strong.  He does not lunge.  Just slowly walks into the load and goes.
Weather is really turning nice around Ohio this week.  Cloudy and 68 degrees today at 10:20 am.  I think I will go walking somewhere in a park soon.  i am on my own today.
GBU EV1 and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #24912 on: May 11, 2022, 05:41:14 AM »

hi you guys its 75 here humid 73 in the barn cool in there. i was working out there and jim came and helped me some. he had 3 ac calls yesterday and someone wanting a new ac he told them when he backs from florida someone at work jim told him to buy a window unit and he did so at least a room be cool. i read some of ukraine stuff and saw a little on world news this morning. putin not going to quit of course not keep bombing schools shopping malls world is mad well not china and them but i read putting russia and putin on terrorist countries  which of course should be.putin victory day he could not tell his people that he was winning this war. keep sending those weapons and please rescue those fighter at steel plant in maripol!

GB Ukraine!!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A4055D5094DE?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24913 on: May 11, 2022, 08:20:01 AM »

6:51 two fish.
Everyone home and doing fine.
Very nice morning.  Sunny ans warm, but not hot. 66 degrees at 9:16.
Nothing planned for today yet.  Will go out somewhere if only to ride around. 
I keep hoping to hear Putin gives up out of respect for bravery in Ukraine.
God Bless Ukraine, and GBU EV1.

calihoula

« Reply #24914 on: May 11, 2022, 10:59:00 AM »

hi joho good all is okay its hot humid here dogs inside sleeping barn is cool i was going to mow but its too hot and oak pollen really high makes it hard for me to breath. so cleaning house laundry working on heating and cooling stuff jim has service calls today too so lots of book work. i keep hoping rescue of steel fighters yes wish putin fall over dead. please putin cant you just do one nice thing? my tv remote messed up jim said so i fixed it saying what a piece of junk turned it over made in china no surprise there. i wish everyone was free in the world no dictators no bullies no communist everyone had the right to be free now if they mess that up they still had that right i wish for peace in the world too.

gb ukraine!