Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602467 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23235 on: April 08, 2021, 06:00:10 AM »

Daily Updates
Tasha, Holly, Spanky, and More - UPDATE April 6, 2021
06 April 2021
 Print Email
Herring Gull
Herring Gull

Is Tasha asserting her presence in the face of Holly’s dominance? On Saturday the 3rd, Pooch caught this 2-minute video of Tasha stomp-walking, which I interpret as leaving scent in tracks to let bears know of your presence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1PWL6fzw7g

Mink Guitar
Mink Guitar
But then, on Monday the 5th, Taught caught this 2-minute video of Holly chasing Tasha however not in an overly threatening way. In the end Tasha retreated into the safety of her rock den. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JZ6RzQMcYA

Then, also yesterday, with the temperature at 70° Fahrenheit, Tasha and Holly each spent time breaking ice in the pond with Tasha even playing with the ice a bit as shown in one of these two videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egMS-sbXXjs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMLLr7tY5Tk

At the WRI, after the recent warm days, the ice on Woods Lake was black showing that break-up was coming. By the end of the day, nearly half the lake was open. Woods Lake is always the first lake in this area to open up.

The mink named Guitar may have noticed the open water and taken advantage of it. His head and white patch were wet when he arrived at the WRI around 7 PM after being gone for a couple days. When he left, he went deep into the woods and may be gone awhile again. It’s spring. Snow is down to patches, and I suspect that his feeding opportunities are expanding. We don’t see minks here in summer.

Woods Lake
Woods Lake
But we do see herring gulls, the main gull of the Northwoods, and there is a stream of them throughout each day. Some of the “catchers” of last year are back waiting expectantly for me to toss bologna like Frisbees for them to catch.

Is Spanky getting ready to roam? He set a record today with his longest absence from the den—5 hours and 48 minutes. At this moment, he is sleeping like a log as he does through most of each day.

With the nice weather and Woods Lake opening up, I’m looking forward to a paddle to see the wildlife and to check out the beaver lodges for sounds of beaver kits. Already today, there were two beautiful male Wood Ducks and a male Mallard near the far shore. Spring, and the freedom it brings, is one of the most exciting times of year, although it cannot beat the bears of summer.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23236 on: April 08, 2021, 06:06:54 AM »

hi you guys it i think 45 here rainy 54 in the barn 1 raccoonie update good and funny tasha stomp walking take that holly! :)  pictures so good as always. sister has been helping out on alot of stuff she goes back today sorry to see her go. we got boo up in the lift yesterday he peed while up there.oh griz everyone trying to sleep so gotta go

hi joho i know that feeling of going and going bark bark bark bark bark bark gotta go

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BD16F3DB359?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23237 on: April 08, 2021, 08:39:13 AM »

5.44 early start for me.  Nice day here but satoms coming 70% this afternoon. Thanks and GB All.

calhound

« Reply #23238 on: April 09, 2021, 05:12:07 AM »

hi you guys i think its 45 but no rain today finally jim been off all week as to go back this morning for a bit i got to go no update

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C8170470D69?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23239 on: April 09, 2021, 06:35:34 AM »

5.06 not too bad for me. That cat will be surprised I think.  Rainy and dreary this morning, but warm at 62.  I guess April showers is a real thing still. Today is TGIF day for some.  For others it is just another day of isolation.  Herd immunity is not yet a thing in America, but it is getting closer each day. Thank God
Hope Doc. is OK. Spanky is being good to us by hanging out.  Won't be long that he will be out and about.
May God bless all those in need this day.  CUL

ruesgram

« Reply #23240 on: April 09, 2021, 10:15:37 AM »

Hi Jewelies! We've been busy this week working in the yard with summertime temperatures in the 80's. Yesterday's high was 85. Mowed Robin's yard Wednesday and ours yesterday. Weed trimming the first  time each season drains my weed eater batteries fast. Good thing I have 4 batteries! Lowe's has their mulch on sale so we picked up 15 bags of black mulch and one huge bag of cypress mulch yesterday afternoon. The poor kid loading the bags into our truck  said he'd loaded over 600 bags so far that day! Still had hours to go before going home! It rained yesterday evening and overnight. Temps in the 70's today. Looks like normal temps in the 60's next week. That will be a shock for us after the 80's. Everything is blooming including my apple tree. This is her year to shine so she is loaded with blossoms. Fingers crossed that there will not be a frost.

Cal, sorry that Polly had to go home. I know she was a help to you. Will she be back soon? Sounds like the lift helps Boo to pee. That's a good thing! I don't know what is going to happen on Blacklist!

Jo, glad you had a nice Easter with your family!

Lupe, new kitty is a beauty! So kind of you and hubby for rescuing him. I hope his tests will be negative. Does he have a name yet?  So sorry to hear about the deaths in your family.

Have a great day! Stay safe! :)

johoward

« Reply #23241 on: April 09, 2021, 06:09:07 PM »

600!!!! Yikes. My back hurts just reading that. LOL

calhound

« Reply #23242 on: April 10, 2021, 08:55:50 AM »

Daily Updates
Celebrating Number 82 with Tasha and Ted - UPDATE April 9, 2021
09 April 2021
 Print Email
Tasha yawning
Tasha yawning

To celebrate my 82nd birthday, my daughter Kate came over from Michigan and shared a visit with Tasha and Ted at the Bear Center.

Tasha in rock den
Tasha in rock den
Tasha paw print
Tasha paw print

20210409 Ted
Ted
Tasha was busy investigating something in her bedding in the rock den when we arrived. Then she noticed us in the window of the Bear Center. She got up, looked at us, yawned, and came to the window to say “Hi” or “Happy Birthday.” At the window, she left a signature paw print accented with a nose rub angling down through it.

We then HAD to visit Ted. Sweet Ted greeted us with his gentle grunts and tongue clicks as he immediately got up and came over. He was glad to see us even though we had no treats for him. I don’t know who liked seeing him more—Kate or me. Fun. I hope Ted lasts many more years, and I believe he would hope the same for me if he thought about it.

Thank you for the many birthday greetings you sent. Much appreciated.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23243 on: April 10, 2021, 09:08:01 AM »

hi you guys its 45 here and raining and raining barn at 56 and flooding back by pearl again coming up like a spring so had work to do out there my one raccoonie she ran up to me with her hands out she got a huge cinnamon bun. she was bone dry so she stayed in the barn all night. pearl says hay wait a minute but i had one for her too.

hi rues i have not watched blacklist got it recorded i saw earlier it said liz keen oh oh i hope red is okay! will try to watch it today. been raining here all night said rain all day and again tonight other day when sister was still here i mowed dogs yards well not all but most of it hoping boo gets up and goes out again he did stand up yesterday on his own took a couple of steps laid back down but he got up. he does okay in the lift helps him gets up and stand work his legs muscle i been giving him boost with extra protein says muscle builder and energy lots of calories he is not eating so good this morning yesterday he ate 10 vanilla cookies some dry dog food little of this and that some stuff i syringe in him. drinking his pedalite water. i am afraid to watch blacklist! :)

hi joho my back has been hurting lots of lifting and in the barn too. i need a new back new knees new feet toes i need the works.

Hi lupe you getting all this rain too? how is upstairs and izzy and spitty?

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/131704D586D?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23244 on: April 10, 2021, 09:54:38 AM »

7.39 kind of slow. Thanks Cal for posting.  Not much to report here.  Nice Sat. morning though.  Bright and warm.  Little breeze.  Gonna go see Boss today. I will bring him some chews which he inhales. Nice to see Doc visiting Ted.  Every day would not be too often IMHO.
GB C ya'll later firends.

calihoula

« Reply #23245 on: April 10, 2021, 11:16:50 AM »

hi joho thank you for posting  :) IMHO? i'm a ho?

hi rues sitting with boo waiting for him to pee pleeze pee boo no blacklist  rerun  :( i googled it new episode next friday and rues will be a season 9!  :) so im not worrying about red now he will back! 
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23246 on: April 10, 2021, 11:38:44 AM »

NO LOL IMHO means "In My Humble Opinion" I think.  Does it not?

lupinelady

« Reply #23247 on: April 10, 2021, 12:50:36 PM »

Hi everyone- rainy here too cal and 45- just not pleasant outside.
Upstairs guy whose name is smokey is doing a bit better. I made an appointment for next  wednesday. Emphasized he is a feral cat. I'm pretty sure we can get him to run into a carrier. I hope. This morning i sat on the floor in the corner with him- petting him and scooting him close to the side of my leg. With a thick towel on my leg i  put him on my leg. He was very tense- ready to bolt away.  It lasted a few seconds and i let him down. He went back to the corner immediately. After petting some i kissed him on the top of his head. He turned around and hissed at me. lol What a character!!
I 'm pretty sure Izzy knows there's a stranger upstairs. She really likes to sleep on the bed in the guest room but hasn't been up there since smokey came in.
johoward- so glad you explained imho- in my humble opinion- wondered about that for a long time.
cul

calihoula

« Reply #23248 on: April 10, 2021, 01:39:52 PM »

hi joho 2:56 going to the zoo ok not a ho humble!  :)

hi lupe smokey good name for him. no kissy yet. hope he loads okay  i remember loading buster me one big bloody mess i finally sat a big carrier on its bottom dropped him on top slammed that door fast ann at vet place saw me i said watch out! he was good for them good for me after that.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23249 on: April 11, 2021, 07:54:36 AM »

Daily Updates
False Alarm - UPDATE April 10, 2021
10 April 2021
 Print Email
Spanky inspecting the container
Spanky inspecting the container

Spanky was gone most or all of the time (we are waiting for archives to confirm) from 4:27 PM yesterday until 7:39 PM today. We thought he was gone for good. It is, after all, mid April which we think of as the average date or emergence. Adult males are usually the first to emerge, and very little snow remains this year. It made sense that he would be out and about. Thinking that, I took this chance to look for the huge piece of foot pad he removed from his right front paw a couple days ago as we caught in this 30-second video: https://youtu.be/cJQQF_nLkuM.

After he removed it, I watched for chewing and swallowing motions, but he turned his head away and I couldn’t see. They usually ingest the foot pads as evidenced by the facts that we find them in their scats and we don’t find them in their dens. But this was an extra big piece of foot pad that he pulled off. Would he swallow such a big piece? I wanted to check. It was gone as is usual. I also wanted to take pictures of his bed and look for any scat that we might have missed being deposited in the videos. None, and no bad smell of any kind. That was at 5 PM to 5:20 PM. I was sure he was gone for good.

Wrong. At 7:39 PM, he crawled back in, sniffed around a little perhaps wondering who or what had been in his den, but went right to sleep unfazed. We’re still learning. Here is a 5:05 video of my visit and his return shortly thereafter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEkFP68t1Nk.

As far as we know, this is the first male that anyone has watched on a den cam. We want to see the activities of a male with no family responsibilities and compare them with what we’ve seen of mothers caring for cubs or yearlings. With this 6-year-old male, we have such a good view under the porch that we can see how his breathing patterns change from mid-winter to spring. In mid-winter, we saw 12 to 18-second pauses between the end of an exhale to the beginning of the next breath. Now we are seeing 4-6 breaths per minute with little or no time between breaths. We also saw him become active on February 27, crawling 20 feet from his bed to the open edge of the porch where he began eating snow regularly. A little over a week later (on March 7), he began making excursions outside that turned into surprising, hours-long ventures.

A video that we caught a couple days ago https://youtu.be/IwDCSWbN3aQ was of him investigating a plastic container that made strange hollow sounds and jumped up and hit him in the nose when he stepped on the edge of it. He began cautious and almost fearful of it but continues to explore it, jumping back when it seemed ready to hit him in the nose again.

All the while, over 50 valuable den watchers have been recording his daily activity cycle, breathing patterns, and ventures as best they can. But there are some problems with the live stream, when it pauses for too long the YouTube feed fills in with a previous recording. For those times we will be using archived video to observe the gaps and see how his activity patterns have changed through the denning period.

I can’t say how thankful I am for the den watchers who are making this possible. It takes dedication to do what they do. I can’t wait to see the patterns they discover and how they differ from (or are similar to) those of females we have studied.

Actually, I view this den cam as a new beginning. I look forward to doing more in the future, watching old familiar bears like Lily and Jewel, adding new females to increase the sample size, and observing more males to see how they differ.

Thank you for all you do!