Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602578 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23250 on: April 11, 2021, 07:58:00 AM »

hi you guys its 40 here rained last night barn flooded i hate spring wind and rain boo not peed since yesterday i cant express his bladder left missy a message ask her if she can jim laying with him griz barking and barking so stressful here. got to go

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/1816EAE8AFA?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23251 on: April 11, 2021, 10:14:53 AM »

5:23 Headed for Target.  Need Jimmie Dean sandwiches, and they are on sale this morning.  Also need some black pepper corns for grinder.  Drugmart does not have any.  I will look for some French's Chili-o while I am there.  I am not familiar with Target so it will take a while.
  Nice day again here.  Some rain in night, but drying up now. 
Our little Mary went to see the Indians game last evening.  She had some rain in the 8th, but finished the game with a win .  11 to 3 over the Tigers. Sorry Ra.
Changed my internet from Windstream to Spectrum, and may soon have to change my email to either Gmail or Yahoo.  I will try to keep you all up to date as best I can.  For now email is still working, but I have been told they will cut it off sometime soon.
May God bless all those suffering this day as needed.

ruesgram

« Reply #23252 on: April 11, 2021, 01:55:16 PM »

Hi Jewelies! Worked outside most of yesterday because it was such a nice day. Highs in the 70's again but very windy. Rained some later in the evening but not enough to do any good. I divided and moved several plants that I had been meaning to do for several years. Made a note to self...don't wait so long to do it next time! Lol! Mulch is still in back of truck. Probably spread it out this week while it's cooler since highs back to normal in the 60's. :(

Cal, I started to watch Blacklist and realized it was a rerun! Glad that it has another season so we won't have to worry about Red being killed off, at least not this season!  Very interesting reading about Spanky being the first male on a den cam. Male bears with no family responsibilities certainly have it easier than female bears! Sorry you are getting so much rain!  Hope Missy can get Boo to pee today!

Jo, I wish we had a Target. They say our area is too small to support the store! We have somewhere around 70,000 people in the county! Plus all the people from Washington County, Ohio that shop here! Have to drive an hour to Clarksburg or Charleston to go to their Targets. Hope they have your Chili-o!  I have had trouble with those words like IMHO! The one I always forget is SMH...shaking my head! Lol! I always have to look that one up!

Lupe, nice name for Smokey! Wilson acts like a feral cat every time he goes to the vet!

Have a nice day! Stay safe! :)

johoward

« Reply #23253 on: April 12, 2021, 06:26:59 AM »

Hi ev1
Well Target was a disappointment.  No peppercorns.  No Chili-o. They did have the Jimmie Dean as advertised, but not much else.  The food section was just a small space at the far end of the store. I had my memory of them mixed up with a Giant Eagle that is in the same shopping center.
Still looking for Chili-o and pepper corns.  I will give up and try another Walmart or maybe find out where Little Mary found some and go there.  Don't mind though. Really not much else to do.  I am at the opposite end of activity spectrum from Cal.  I am hoping she is doing well this morning, and wish I could do more to help.
CUL GB
BTW Does anyone know why my posts have three choices in the upper right corner?  All others have just one, "quote".

calhound

« Reply #23254 on: April 12, 2021, 08:00:53 AM »

hi joho yes i am overwhelmed with all i have to do overwhelmed. no update today my keys are sticking here. when i saw your post joho you just had the quote also. my walmart i am sure still has chilio will try to remember that when i do my online shopping i went to the feed store and in harps could not wear a shoe on my right foot i am wondering if that will ever heal probably not i cant go for any surgery right now no way but i put on a black sock no one said anything to me. so big outing for me jim stayed with boo. he held his peed for 24 hours i was so worried asked miss to come express his bladder cause i could not i was in harps asking god to make him pee got home jim said he called me boo peed a lake a huge lake miss called said she had not done that in years. so boo back on track now. his sores on his hip are healing good i got a donut ring and we put him on it keep it off the ground and treat it from licking it like a hot spot but very small now. i got to go gb cul

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/E716DC107C0?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23255 on: April 12, 2021, 01:45:20 PM »

6:16 I think maybe the sender sees three choices, and a numerical id in the bottmo right corner.  Recivers see "Archived" I think.  Can't be sure, because I can only see my chat.
  Do you have some loose boots you can wear just a sock in for outdoors?  I tried going with just a sock a few times too.  Worked for a while, but always got too wet and muddy.
Did not try a different Walmart yet.  Also will try Meijer.  I think that is where Mary found some.  Don't worry though.  Like I said, what else do I have to do. I feel well protected from Covid, and I still wear my mask everywhere outside my home.  So I don't mind going to stores much.  Debbie was feeling bad yesterday after her second shot on Sat.  She is better today.  So like Mary one day of mild illness due to shot.  Boss is still being a good dog, and we love him. I get him something every time I go into a store.
 Did I tell y'all about his run-in with a toad in the street?  He stopped to sniff what Debbie thought was a lump of mud in the street while she was walking him on a fragile headstyle lead.  When he sniffed it, the toad took a leap and scared the both of them.  After getting over his shock Boss wanted to play with this self propelled mud ball.  Debbie had a very hard time getting him away so he would not get toad juice in his mouth.  We had a 15 pound yorkie named Tarr that was walking around in the dark at our camper when he found a toad.  He always tried to kill anythig that moved inthe night.  He was a ratter by nature.  He once jumped out of a boat trying to get a nice fish I was realing in.  I had to use a landing net to get him out of the lake.  He would attack the cooler every time the fish flopped around inside.  Anyway, when he got that toad he had the worst night of his life.  He slept by my hand and I had to take him out to poop and vomit evry few minutes all night long.  Boss di not mouth the toad.  So he was ok.
Well ready for a let lunch over here so will CUL. GB

johoward

« Reply #23256 on: April 12, 2021, 01:48:43 PM »

Not "archived".  "logged"

johoward

« Reply #23257 on: April 12, 2021, 05:18:44 PM »

Hi ev1,
Went to Mary's Meijer store and bought out 7 Chili-o.  Left one for seed.  It was kind of wrinkled looking, and was on the shelf alone.  Not in the box.  I will not need any more for several months.  I make less chili through the warmer months.  So I should not be whining until at least October. LOL  Thanks for sharing with me all this time.
Turned into a very nice afternoon.  Bright sun and warmer at 62 f.
I will see you all tomorrow.  Gonna go make a pot of you know what.
By and GB

calihoula

« Reply #23258 on: April 12, 2021, 08:28:20 PM »

hi joho getting ready for bed yay bedtime thanks for posting toads are bad for dogs to pick on so dogs do not mess with the toad! not nice. cali a ratter but gets her butt kicked for that. good you got your chili o  :) i just online shopped again jim goes in late in the morning so i can go boo up on his good side all day he was worn out i gave him pain meds fed him he is sleeping good jim sleeping behind him boo on crib mattress jim on twin. im tired gb cul
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23259 on: April 13, 2021, 06:21:43 AM »

hi you guys getting ready to get groceries pick up its 38 here on my ipad cant post puzzle or dog shame yet cul
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23260 on: April 13, 2021, 06:38:07 AM »

Daily Updates
Has Spanky Left His Den for Good? - UPDATE April 12, 2021
12 April 2021
 Print  Email
After a day-long jaunt on April 10, Spanky entered his den at 7:39 PM and slept most of the time until 12 minutes after midnight. Then he left—for good? He has now been away a little over 45 hours.Spanky's view
Spanky's view

It seems time that he should leave. It’s the time males usually leave in early to mid April, and with the snow all but gone it is unusually easy for bears to travel this year.

I checked the den area yesterday and saw that he had been scent-marking and scratching a 5-inch diameter red pine about 20 feet from his den entrance. Males emerge with full testosterone. I believe he is cruising the area looking for food and females. Aspen catkins that were a month early to burst are now fully developed at a time when catkins are usually not available. This early food has about 12-14 percent protein and is an early spring bear food, usually in late April to mid May.

With the snow gone, he can’t get water by eating snow near his den. Instead, he will drink from lakes and melt-water puddles as he roams. I believe the comfortable bed that he returned to a couple days ago is being replaced by the other amenities of the forest. With the snow gone, he can easily find other places to rest—maybe a soft patch of moss.

At least a few other bears are up and out. One local bear-feeder has had 7 bears so far. Another has had one. I’ve not seen one yet. I wish we had a radio-collar on Spanky to flesh out the rest of his story.

If Spanky does not return overnight, we will dismantle the camera tomorrow.

I am thankful for this first opportunity to document the activities of a mature male that the much appreciated den watchers are making possible. We now know more about Spanky’s activities in the den and we will be able to fill in a few more details from the archived video. There is much to learn and publish.

Thank you den watchers and thank you all for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23261 on: April 13, 2021, 04:22:04 PM »

johoward

« Reply #23262 on: April 13, 2021, 05:21:16 PM »

5:23 thanks cal gb

calhound

« Reply #23263 on: April 14, 2021, 06:38:26 AM »

Daily Updates
Spanky Camera and His Activities - UPDATE April 13, 2021
13 April 2021
 Print Email
We took Spanky’s camera down today, confident that he would not return. He has now been gone just 3 hours short of 3 days. He left at 12 minutes after midnight on the early morning of April 11.

Markings by Spanky   Markings by Spanky
Markings by Spanky

The young red pine that he marked with his claws 5-6 feet above the ground showed that he also climbed up and marked it up to 12 feet above ground. He tore many branch tips off the tree. They form a trail to his den and are where the pine branches came from that he raked under the porch a week or two ago.

Willow catkins
Willow catkins
Hazel male catkins
Hazel male catkins
Hazel broken by Spanky
Hazel broken by Spanky

About 40 feet from the den, he broke hazel stems so he could eat the male catkins as I’ve seen other bears do. He completely cleaned the catkins off the stems he broke.

At the WRI, willow catkins are coming on, which are another early food for bears.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23264 on: April 14, 2021, 06:48:20 AM »

hi you guys its 36 here saying next week may have wintery mix yay i will miss seeing spanky it was up on my screen his cam but then again he will now be able to make a move without everyone knowing it. sister called me yesterday at 1 pm said her boss let her have tuesday off she is working half days on tuesday and sat cause of covid no new patients less people or something so jim said you want me to come get you and he did she is here going to file for her early ss today go get her birthcertificate in richmond when jim gets home to watch boo. i have office work to do so needs to go and try to do that before boo is trying to get up on his own and all over the place he should be peeing anytime too so got to go

hi joho good you saw i came in yesterday and posted the puzzle for you!

hay my jigzone album with my pictures are gone said no longer available  :( so gives me a choice of their stuff

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/0D055D4FC9C5?z=0