Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1222763 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28995 on: October 13, 2024, 05:19:30 AM »

Action at the North American Bear Center - UPDATE October 12, 2024

Lucky
Sharon sent her Bear News
with beautiful pictures of Lucky, Tasha, and fall color.

Fall News:

The cooler air and night time temperatures have finally become conducive to the trees dropping their leaves. The Paper Birch, Quaking Aspens and Maples add color around the main habitat. The drives into work now are spectacular with the changing colors, the lime colored Tamaracks add beauty to the woodlands.

Maples    Birch
Over the course of the last two weeks Brandon with the help of our fall interns collected over 17 bags of dry leaves. Last Friday, Tasha and Lucky received a large bag of leaves.

During the next two weeks the bears will receive more leaves. This year we are only using natural bedding, the bears enjoy raking it into their dens. We will also be giving them some balsam boughs.

Tasha
Tasha
 Lucky
Lucky
Our bears are now in Fall transition. It's hard to get them to come out of their dens for our daily BTS visits. https://bear.org/bear-facts/5-stages-of-activity-and-hibernation/

Holly bear is hibernating, her den weight going in 336lbs.

Lucky, our 17 year old bear is now at a healthy 486 pounds. His winter coat is rich and thick. It glistens in the sun.

Tasha resting
Tasha slowing down

Our Tasha bear, better known as the “round one” has slowed down too. Her weight is 401. She rests near Habitat one and has raked leaves and clover into it. She spends her nights inside the den as does Lucky.

Tasha rests
Tasha rests

Our bears thank-you for your continued support. If it's within your means please visit our amazon wishlist: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/182N6D1EP5DVM

Thank-you for all you do.
Sharon Herrell, Sr. Bear Keeper

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28996 on: October 13, 2024, 05:31:14 AM »

hi you guys its 53 clear nice pictures from sharon bears will be getting some bedding for their winter dens holly already went to bed she will probably get back up and get her some bedding. fall is here too trees turning and leaves falling off i can see tims junk lots better now but also i can see his goats more now. suppose to be cooler today in the 30s tuesday morning up to 60 then up to 70 warmer this weekend i saw record heat lots of places

hi joho did you and debbie get your voting done? i still need to look at my ballot

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9C055D5D65FF
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #28997 on: October 13, 2024, 08:52:53 AM »

6:02  60 degrees right now and kind of rainy. What a great Update.  Beautiful bear pics and name to go with them. Thanks everyone.
No Cal did not vote.  Debbie had to baby sit for Mary.  We will go next Friday instead.  We can vote at the county board almost every day in October, but she is only free on most Fridays.
Karen and went on The Medina County Fall Foliage Tour yesterday.  It rained a little when we got to the Smart House Museum.  So, of course, I must go back there today to get my umbrella.  I left it on the front porch on our way into the house naturally.  When we left the house we went out the back door close to our car.
It is OK though.  We skipped about 5 of the 11 tour stops on this years map.  I will visit some or all of these today when I go get my umbrella.  Which ones depends on the weather and what kind of shelter is there.
Bye for now EV1 GBU, Israel, Ukraine and all those in need.

calihoula

« Reply #28998 on: October 13, 2024, 09:07:22 AM »

hi joho i forgot you did say voting next friday i laughed at you saying of course you forgot your umbrella yesterday other day i went to the barn and said to indy well i forgot your sack of cookies again i will go back now oh that tasha and lucky bear man just so beautiful their fur so beautiful shiny my ice maker is broken does not release water red light flashing twice googled emitter board saw video just now how to fix it frig is 2006 so i found my original book to it now i got to find the part number sure have a replacement one cause its old maybe should get a new frig right now just making ice like did before this frig icecube trays i google how to shut off water to it in case it starts leaking was your fall tour good?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #28999 on: October 14, 2024, 05:30:54 AM »

hi you guys its 38 here 52 in the barn i turned the heat on in there to 53 see if it was working okay it was ran heat and shut off so i turned it back off 52 is fine for indy and my birds in there i will turn it back on tonight as will be freezing monday and tuesday. it was windy yesterday 20mph and tvs were riding the skies saw lots of planes in the sky i look for scout and his family to be leaving soon heading down to the ozarks for the winter.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9F055D5D2C04?z=0

johoward

« Reply #29000 on: October 14, 2024, 09:41:54 AM »

6:03 Took my time while eating my cereal.  Usually reading the paper at breakfast and do puzzle later. but not on Monday. Our "morning" paper comes at noon in the mail. I save it until the next morning.  On Sunday they just don't send one.  So I have none on Monday.  Instead I eat my cereal  at the computer and do the puzzle.  So that is why I am slow today.  Now you know the whole story. LOL
I did enjoy the remaining tour stops.  One was the Medina County Home.  Very nice facility with lots of happy looking residents. At one time all 88 Ohio counties had a "home".  Some are called "infirmaries". It was a "thing" counties did. Now only 8 counties have one. We had one here in Elyria on Infirmary Road, but it closed long ago.  The land was repurposed into the Lorain County Jail, and now has a slightly different ambiance.  LOL This home had a pair of very friendly Peafowl.  We fed the very gaudy male some popcorn through the fence.  He loved it. 
One tour stop was at a Ravine Farm.  They had quite a few very friendly animals ranging around the very steep farm.  I was pleased that I could pet the goats through the fence.  One Billy would actually bark at me when I stopped petting him.  Have you heard of goats barking?  This was a first for me. The farm had almost no level tillable land.  So the goats liked it, and the trees liked it too.  The income from the farm was more from maple syrup than other products.  I saw a lady in the sugar barn buy the last gallon of Maple Syrup for $62.  She had four kids with her who were glad to see her buy it.  I thought that was a little pricy.
OK I will say so long for a while.  CUL EV1 GBU and those in need.

calhound

« Reply #29001 on: October 14, 2024, 05:19:02 PM »

hi joho i am in here feeding mr kitty he is on my lap while i type this he is sliding  i have to scoot him back up kissing the top of his head. i really had fun reading your post today  :) i try to have your puzzle everyday. i did not know just how much it meant to you till today mr kitty is a slider i may have to put him back down and he can eat his food not yet.he will go watch tv with jim later. nice tours you guys had mr kitty got kicked to the curb  okay lorain county jail to some a county home.we got to have them kinds of homes. i dont think i ever heard sweets bark you mean like one of the dogs? when he fell and roll all the way down in his area and was screaming that was awful made me scream and i try to not think of that that was the beginning of the end really. i like to hear tims little donkey bray he really gets into it. it is a procedure for sure.  :) that is alot of maple syrup a gallon like a gallon of milk but jim goes right thru that. when i go pick up groceries like i will tomorrow morning i ordered 2 gallons and a half gallon. big box of ding dongs and bags of little chocolate donuts and chunky chocolate chip cookies milk goes pretty fast. it does sound high for that syrup but lots of stuff is high anymore. i would not buy syrup in a gallon size take up too much room and i dont eat it and jim hardly does. i hear my sparrows on the front porch big family little ones so cute got lots on other side of the house by where i come out to go to the barn i have water food big bushes they like to sit on the roof of the house. GBU and yes all those in need

johoward

« Reply #29002 on: October 14, 2024, 09:00:10 PM »

I can't get the Indians game on TV, but on here I can see they are losing in the top of the seventh 4 to 1.  Darn I really wanted to see this game.  I will just keep checking back here for the score.
Yes Cal, I have done your puzzle every day for years.  I might be addicted like I am to Solitaire. Good night now.

calhound

« Reply #29003 on: October 15, 2024, 05:32:10 AM »

hi you guys its 40 here 53 in the heated barn

hi joho mr kitty on my lap again hard to type i watched that game i have directv and it was on 3 stations had tbs in it it was not on espn or anything i just kept going to next list and there it was. i am sad they lost. those yankees go home.  took out my royals too. mr kitty kicked to the curb. i got to pick up groceries then head over to harps and get out and walk that then come home unload in between go to the barn let dogs out i am dreading today. jim and his friend will be putting in new patio doors in the kitchen going out to the dogs deck i am dreading that i will have to take all the dogs in my room. really dreading dealing with that. will be extremely stressful

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D3055D50D400?z=0

johoward

« Reply #29004 on: October 15, 2024, 10:10:10 AM »

5.49  Good morning EV1.  Very cool in the 40s.  i got my flannel on, but no heater yet.  Brrr.

Been raining a lot this morning.  Probably a wet day all day I think.  No plans yet, except walk to the mailbox later when I hear the mailman has been there.  One of my neighbors will let us know.  She sees the box from her house, and puts a msg on our neighbor network chat.  I am sorry I deleted an email from the postal service.  I am pretty sure they said if I want them to they would text me or email me when the man was at the box.  If I can find how, I will sign up for that.  I do get an email showing what will be put in my box today.  It works well.  So maybe the notice would work too.  It is probably all GPS and AI tech so should be reliable, and it is free.

I am not jealous of your remodeling Cal.  Will it help with your heating bills, maybe?  My house has a patio door.  It is so delicate and cheesy I am afraid it will break every time I use it.  The sliding screen door is even more delicate.

Hope Doc is doing OK.  His updates are a good way to start my day, and I miss them when he can't do them.  I especially liked seeing the wolf pictures.  Doc has created such a trusting area around the WRI that the wolf and bear sit down to dinner together.  Lovely.

Gotta go. Debbie needs something.  Bye now EV1 GBU, Israel, Ukraine, and all who need help.

calhound

« Reply #29005 on: October 15, 2024, 02:12:22 PM »

hi joho i have not sat down except to be driving in my car to walmart groceries harps then i drove past my house and onto town to get gas. now feeding mr kitty his lunch doing everyones lunch. i saw rain for you way earlier on weather channel. i need that email showing my mailman came to the box if you find out how to do that please tell me.i get the what in my mailbox works pretty good. some days i do not have to go out start up sisters car and drive all the way down there. oh joho we need a new door so badly old is shot i mean shot and yes you can feel cold air pouring in it faces the north. i try to hang a coat on it block out that cold or hot air but brownie is like why is that there?  jim put another board up there hard to turn the knob when you are outside coming back in. its a mess. when that anderson door man came he just looked at it said oh man. but it has held up pretty well considering all the dogs all the mastiffs all the labs all dogs period lots and lots of dogs. open and closed million times we could never have a screen door all our windows the screens have dog heads punched thru them had one left and jim opened it when we had drama and i said you cant do that and then drama ran his big head thru it jim ordered the very same door as we have now. i did not want no slider for sure no no no like the french door like two doors one does not move. left hand inswing cost after rebate a grand not 15 grand like that anderson door man wanted. i was doing tons of stuff and jim said here is the rebate to fill out no you fill it out i am busy so he did then he brought me a blank envelope ask me where does he put the address   what  on the front where does he put his return address   what  i swear  where is a stamp give it to me i will take it from here.  i hope it helps with elec bill in the summer. but the door is open and closed alot and if i go out with the dogs i am slow takes a while to get it shut the door winter i dont care we buy a propane contract in the summer i bought lots of propane i always do so our heating bill is already paid for. we always some credit at the end of march. i heard we can see this comet tonight like half hour after sunset to the west will not be back for 80,000 years so better looked tonight. i will have to go outside the west is the front of the house my room way in the back. i will let the hounds out and go out and turn and look to the west. no city lights or stuff here so i should be able to see it. i will google it later make sure i got this right. my tvs are flying the skies today so they did not leave yet i am sad when they go but when it gets so cold and wintery i am happy they went to a warmer area and really did not have to travel real far ozarks like a 4 hour drive

calhound

« Reply #29006 on: October 16, 2024, 05:59:23 AM »

hi you guys its 29 here 53 in the barn so i went out last night and looked for that comet i did see venus i have seen it many times i believe i saw that comet too. still a chance to see it

Comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS) is now visible after sunset in the west. Start looking about 20 minutes after sunset. The comet currently has an apparent magnitude of 1.4, but twilight will make it hard to see. Each day the comet will appear higher in the sky and a little fainter than the night before. As the comet moves into darker portions of the sky it should become easier to spot. The ideal window to see comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS) will be October 13-20, 2024. It will be best to use binoculars, but it might become visible to the naked eye.

The best way to find the comet is to first locate Venus. Venus is visible in the southwest 20 minutes after sunset. On October 13, 2024, C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS) will be found about 25° north of Venus. You can estimate this distance by spreading your pinkie and thumb apart from one another while the rest of your hand is closed in a fist. Place your hand at arm’s length and close one eye. Placing your pinkie or thumb where you see Venus, the distance you see between your thumb and pinkie is about 25°. As we progress through the week, the comet will be found higher above the horizon each night

hi joho nice in the barn this morning but i will still have some high elec bills cause furnace in there is electric but set at 53 so hoping not to high works good out there really blowing that warm air. i dont have to heat indys water tank so saving money there and all my water bowls in there are good cause its warm inside.  i did not see any raccoonies this morning they came last night but looks like ate all the cookies some dog food and called it a night pretty cold they may be sleeping in i got my new extra big heavy flannel shirt pretty warm has two pockets not just one but i wish the pockets were bigger at least has two. scout and his family maybe thinking this morning lets pack up and head south

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/42055D59AA98

johoward

« Reply #29007 on: October 16, 2024, 09:45:41 AM »

5:56 cold and grey here. Not much to talk about. Was way too cloudy to see any stars for us.  Will be again today. Really though I have tried many times to witness the different events in the sky.  I never had much luck separating the good rare stuff from the every day stars that are everywhere.  Soooo I just get some sleep instead. LOL  Thanks Cal for trying to help us find the good stuff.  I will at least bring my binoculars in from the car to try.
 Every day seems like the same thing to me. Trump, Israel, Iraq, Lebanon, Voter fraud that no one sees, new rules to make voting harder. 
So to day I will just say, GBU EV1 and all who are suffering.

calhound

« Reply #29008 on: Yesterday at 05:13:17 AM »

Join us for Give to the Max Day 2024. This special day of giving will be November 21 and Early Giving begins November 1 and runs through November 20. GiveMN will again be drawing one $500 Early Giving Golden Ticket each day during the early giving period; so you’ll want to spread out your donations to increase your chances of winning a Golden Ticket.

Golden ticket

We will be live on our Special Events Cam throughout the day (November 21). We have lots of fun planned and some special guests will be joining us for this amazing day of giving. You won’t want to miss all the fun!

Your generosity in the past several years has provided the funds to complete our bear fencing project as well as make many improvements to the bear enclosure. We are extremely thankful for your generosity over the past several years and look forward to your continued support.

This year’s Give to the Max Day campaign funds will be used to construct our new intern housing complex across the street from the Bear Center.

Intern building plans
Intern building plans

Join us on October 23 at 10 am CT on Facebook Live or on our Special Events cam for more news about this exciting project.

Thank you for all you do,

Scott Edgett
Sr. Director of Operations

calhound

« Reply #29009 on: Yesterday at 05:29:39 AM »

hi you guys its 34 here suppose to warm up this weekend i dont thank really crazy hot like middle 70s

hi joho i know about the same world stuff. just saw on the news pres zen saying north korea soldiers helping putin not surprised there gee putin you got to have help from your fellow pos. guess this will go on till money runs out or someone takes putin out. or god takes putin out. come on god and yes saw on the news usa will stop helping israel if they dont knock it off with gaza. knock it off quit the killing everyone and everything. come on god  maybe you saw the comet with your binoculars  i might have  clearer skies here if you missed it you can catch it next time it comes around   :) i went to bed last night kitchen coyotes woke me up again at 1 am howling and barking in the kitchen everyone was sound asleep and they just had to run off their mouths.  i could not get back to sleep finally i just got up thank you penny and brownie

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/41055D50FA09?z=0