Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1260892 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #29025 on: October 21, 2024, 05:20:47 AM »

Lily, Film, Ted, and Progress - UPDATE October 20, 2024

Dr Lynn Rogers with Lily and cubs from ‘Bearwalker’ shoot 2, Sept. 2024
Today I received this report and video clip from our award-winning filmmaker, Dr. Ted Oakes, President of Oak Island Films about his recent film shoot for ‘Bearwalker: The Lynn Rogers Story’ with a picture and a 31-second video from that shoot. The video shows a bit of my meeting with Lily and her four cubs (1 female, 3 male cubs) that warmed my heart. It brought back wonderful memories of her showing the world a side of black bears that few would imagine. It’s the side of bears Lily Fans knew well from the den cam videos we all watched together on the Internet back then.

I also remember my feelings of gratitude to Ted Oakes for having the BBC spread the message even further. Ted created five hour-long worldwide documentaries about Lily, Hope, and other bears we were watching together. To show even more, Ted also produced a new 8-program BBC Series ‘Planet Earth Live,’ broadcasting each program directly from Ely to 250 million viewers in 191 countries.

As all this began, public interest was so high that Lily was the number one search topic on Google on January 10, 2010 when ‘NBC Today’ covered the story, and she was the number one search topic on Yahoo on January 22, 2010 when she gave birth to Hope.

I’m hoping the film Ted and his team are currently making, thanks to donations from many of you, will again make a major difference for bears. We’re still putting ideas together.

In August-September we completed our second filming trip for Bearwalker: The Lynn Rogers Story. This is our feature length documentary about Dr Lynn Rogers’ research legacy and what the Lily family of bears might teach the world.

The trip was supported by an incredible team at the Wildlife Research Institute (WRI), many amazing local contributors and your generous ‘WRI Film Fund’ donations. This has allowed us to use some of the best cinematography talent in the business including Director, Peter Lown, and Director of Photography, Mark Ó Fearghaíl, and others.

The story line is evolving with each trip. What is clear is that there is a great diversity of opinion on how Americans relate to black bears. The film is exploring important questions regarding Dr Rogers’ legacy, the future of the Eagles Nest bear clan and our future relationship with nature. Some of the highlights of this recent filming trip include funny and warm interviews with Donna and Colleen Rogers about life in ‘the old days with Lynn’, passionate indigenous people and their cultural views on bears, as well as a beautiful scene with Dr Rogers, Lily and her four cubs by the side of a lake.

The team is currently editing the material gathered to assess what we have so far and starting the process of raising money from ‘the market’ to conduct more filming in 2025 and to complete the movie.

Here’s a short clip of Dr Rogers with ‘Lily’ and cubs from shoot 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9B7GvED7lY

Last week some of the team attended ‘The Wildlife Film Oscars’ in the UK to seek additional funding. Our ambition is to make a 90-minute feature film for the world to see, one that can play at the North American Bear Center for years to come.

Feature films are expensive, and with your help we’ve raised 25% of the budget so far. A wonderful start. We’ve been continually amazed by the passion and generosity that you and the local community have shown. We would not have made it this far without all of you. Thank you!

Ted
Dr Ted Oakes, Managing Director, Oak Island Films UK & Canada
www.oakislandfilms.com

Dr. Oakes, thank you for this letter and all you are doing to create this feature film.

Thank you all for all YOU do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #29026 on: October 21, 2024, 05:27:47 AM »

hi you guys its 49 here yesterday our weather lady said been 26 days since we got any rain. i am sure our ponds must be lots lower i keep lots of water filled around here nice update

kc chiefs got the win jim was all upset saying that guy can run fast but cant catch the ball get rid of him oh jim chiefs find a way to win they were still ahead then by 2

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C9055D5C47B5?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #29027 on: October 21, 2024, 11:50:43 AM »

5:10 Good day all. Very nice again. about 70 degrees I think.  Not been out yet.
I've been on phone for four hours with Medicare choices and applications.  They offered two plans that were just too good to believe.  Like all those "Advantage" plans on TV.  Zero premium, zero copay, zero everything, dentist and glasses included, and they will pay all bills.  Unbelievable!
 So as an experiment with prescription drugs I decided to try one of them, Wellcare, this year.  Mostly because Biden and Harris have "beat Medicare", and I expect big changes in the cost of drugs.  Especially for diabetes.
Need to go get ready for rehab.  Bye EV1 GBU all.

calhound

« Reply #29028 on: October 22, 2024, 05:35:32 AM »

hi you guys its 63 here and if we got rain like weatherlady said not much nothing shows it rained last night.

hi joho my  mom use to say she needed a medicare helper with all the stuff she was on medicaid cause of her heart condition. spend down on and on when jim retires uaw will help us get on right one for now as long as he hangs in ford we have bcbs jim tells me get to dr buzzard get to a knee doctor we do not need a referral for specalist go now. well okay jim who will do all this stuff all the animals all day long. he said take vacation time i will do it. poor kids.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/66055D5082DD?z=0
« Last Edit: October 22, 2024, 05:45:10 AM by calhound »

johoward

« Reply #29029 on: October 22, 2024, 07:01:38 AM »

4:03 WOW!!!! Maybe my best ever.  Had to do last rehab.
 They said I was ok to go on my own.  Just have to keep doing the rubber band workouts they showed me five weeks ago.  Deb says I need to do these too.  So I guess I will do them every day.  I will then turn into SuperGrampa. LOL!
I think Karen is getting over her illness or nonillness depending on who you ask.
I am worried that the Republican ploy to make us all suffer at the dinner table is working.  I stopped at Arby's last night on the wat home from Debbie's car repair shop.  We ordered two sandwiches and two sides.  No drinks.  The bill was over $22.  What family of say four could afford these prices, and why are we charged $22 for $3 worth of food.  I tells you it is the national Republican plan to make us all suffer so they can point to the Biden administration and blame them for our sufferring.  They are not to blame.  The republican CEOs are to blame for us suffering at the food sources.  As evidence I offer that even our local candidate for county commisioner has adds tell us how if elected he will bring down food prices.  Now I ask you how is he going to do that.  The real fact is he can do that without being elected by just telling his republican cohorts to knock it off.
Kamla's comments of new laws to stop price gouging of off base a little.  We need to do our own stoppage by leaving the food on the shelves period, and by staying away from the fastfood places entirely. I will not go there again.  Taco Bell, McDonalds, Arby's, BK, Appleby's, They have all gouged me for the last time.  Don't be fooled.  The Republican CEOs have the pricing power in this country, and are using that power to influence you to vote against the Democrats base on the lie that high prices are due to Biden.  They are not!
Well enough soapbox for now.  It is not even light out yet and I am rambling on.  I already voted.  So I thought I could ignore the lying and hateful adds for the next couple weeks.  Then when I saw that even the Republican County Commissioner candidate was saying they could fix our food pain, which they caused, I got steamed up all over again.
Bye now EV1.   GBU, Israel, Ukraine, and all who are suffring.

calhound

« Reply #29030 on: October 23, 2024, 05:41:10 AM »

hi you guys its 57 here clear 62 in the barn 47 and raining in iceland jim and mike started taking out old patio doors putting in that new one. i had cali with me in my room and penny and brownie in jims room and i could hear them barking and howling for a long time cali had to go out it was then almost one pm they started at 10am. jim did not even measure the old door just ordered this standard size well more than one standard size. so i was mad too lazy to measure a door but cost mike way more time and work making this smaller door work now need to get wider trim and so forth. tons of flies and lady bugs in the house. no tarp but really hard to use one since mike is 6 ft 7 inches tall he is tall good for hanging doors. he was nice said now it will be jims turn to help him i said that is right. he told me if jim does not fix that trim to let him know he will. jim was putting on the door knob and had it in the dead lock hole so i did it.

i got to go pick up groceries in an hour

hi joho i heard on my local news awhile ago lots of people very sick eating at mcdonalds and one person died quarter pounder i think. seems every day almost some kind of food making people sick.  trusting others to make your food. i dont eat out might go thru a drivethru get a biscuit but not done that for along time.  cost a fortune to eat at home and not sure how safe that is. food prices is nothing short of pure greed and greed comes in many forms.  missy telling me that a 80 year old lady apply for job at her vet clinic. she cant make ends meet with her ss how sad is that. they gave her the job too. part time what she applied for to help make ends meet i think.

i gotta go

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/84055D561043?z=0

McDonald's Ice Cream Machine Is Fixed

calhound

« Reply #29031 on: October 23, 2024, 05:42:20 AM »

forgot the dog shame

johoward

« Reply #29032 on: October 23, 2024, 10:12:48 AM »

6:17 Yet another bright warm day here.  Mail is in the box.  Need to go get it soon.
On Snow I see almost all the leaves are down already.  About 60% are still on our trees here, and there are lots of beautiful sights in the morning and evening sun.  I seem more aware of color this year for some reason.
Sounds like you will have a new door soon if not already done.  Now Winter cannot come in.
Took Deb to get her car back last night.  Got to see Mary at Deb's house.  We did not go to Arby's.  Deb went home and I went down into the park called The Emerald Necklace.  It was beautiful and goes all the way around Cleveland.  I went about 15 miles I think from North Olmsted to Strongsville.  It was a nice ride.  Karen is still sick, and we don't know why yet.  She did pass her Covid test as negative. Hope she gets better soon.
I will say bye for now EV! GBU, Israel, Ukraine, and all who are suffring.

calihoula

« Reply #29033 on: October 23, 2024, 10:30:08 AM »

OK, for the seventh time we put the fries in the box. Then we put them in the bag.
And we don't take a couple to eat. It doesn't matter if they would never know, OK.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #29034 on: Yesterday at 05:34:36 AM »

hi you guys its 42 here clear but they say maybe rain later on tonight i heard on the news north korea sent 3,000 troops to putin North Korean troops are already in Russia, US confirms
Pyongyang's involvement is a "very" serious issue, the defense secretary said.The development may indicate resource strain on Russian President Vladimir Putin, Austin added.

"You've heard me talk about the significant casualties that he has experienced over the last two-and-a-half years," he said. "This is an indication that he may be even in more trouble than most people realize."

If the soldiers join the war, Kirby said it would be a "dramatic move" and shows Russia's "desperation" after suffering "extraordinary casualties" on the battlefield.

The U.S. hasn't determined if North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has received anything in return for sending these soldiers, according to Kirby, who also mentioned the growing defense relationship between North Korea and Russia.

"We know Mr. Putin has been able to purchase North Korean artillery. He's been able to get North Korean ballistic missiles, which he has used against Ukraine. And in return, we have seen, at the very least, some technology sharing with North Korea," Kirby said.

Kirby said the U.S. is consulting with allies on "how we might respond.

i heard kirby say putin has north korea soldiers fighting then that would make them fair game. not enough putin killing all his people and ukraines people

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/3B055D5AE399

johoward

« Reply #29035 on: Yesterday at 06:09:04 PM »

6:19  Yikes!!!! Koreans killing Ukraine's for Putin!!! Oh my God.  Stop it already.
Had another death in my famiyl.  I am sad and relieved.  Elain Whalen was married to my cousin Cary until his death some four years ago.  She will be buried tomorrow at 1PM.  I will take Cary's brother Ken with me to the burial service at 1pm.  He lives 1hour and 22 minutes f5rom me, and the cemetery is about 45 minutes from his house.  So I will get an early start, and a very late return.  It's ok.  What else do I have to do? Just FYI.
Karen is better because tomorrow she has her doctor appointment.  So of course she is better.  I told her to wright something down to make the visit worth while.  I doubt she will get a reliable diagnosis.  She no longer has symptoms after two weeks.  She waited until yesterday to make the appointment.  So, of course today she is better.  I did not see her.  She said she feels contagious still.
I find that since I voted I can endure the lying political adds a little easier.  The ones that are specificly blaming Biden and Harris for high cost foods when this is just a National Republican tactic initiated and carried out by the well to do Republican CEOs is almost unbearable for me.  We the people are really suffering from this food gouging everywhere in this country.  It is sinful.  The GOP is actually taking food from the mouths of babes, and blaming Biden.  Evil!!!
Well enough soapbox.  Like I said, I already did all I could by voting against all the GOP judges that Trump stacked the deck with.  He has taken away my confidence in our government by his blatant manipulation of the federal courts. 
I gues I wasn't quite done. LOL  Bye now for real EV1 GBU and all those in need.

calhound

« Reply #29036 on: Today at 06:01:06 AM »

hi you guys its i think like 62 it is in the barn did get rain last night came pouring in tv was out so i went to something i had taped oh i watched an old episode of dream cruise like you are boarding a cruise ship but really at home in your bed. then i went to million dollar listing. love that show it had josh flagg driving like an big food truck and he was singing ive been working on the railroad i did not know he could sing but he can..

hi joho i am so sorry about lost. you will have a lot of driving to do today please be careful good karen is better but yes now she is going to see her doctor. hope they can tell her what is going on. i wish i was done voting. last time we voted the lady that was suppose to be there aby 6 am was late now i heard voting wants its people there at 5 am so if she is late again someone else needs to take her place. i hope not packed at 6 am only got so many people that go there next time i will do early voting. be careful today i saw on my local news lots of fast food places taking onions off their menu due to mcdonalds ecoli with them on the big quarter pounder with cheese.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/73055D588C69

johoward

« Reply #29037 on: Today at 07:14:05 AM »

Good morning Cal.  Fast food places are all off my menu, because of what they did to the prices.  All of them from Taco Bell, plus 70% on the $1.00 burrito, to Arby's $22. 65 for Debbie and I no drinks.  Just sinful due to the reason being political black mail of the masses.  Worst of all, it is effective.  Hitler and Putin loveing felons could be swept into office at all levels due to fake food inflation. Very clever, but evil.
Will do puzzle later when I can enjoy it.  Bye for now EV1 GBU this autumn morning.