Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1172701 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28965 on: Yesterday at 05:36:15 AM »

Bear talk with Gay Bradshaw - UPDATE October 4, 2024

Dr. Rogers with Shylow - by Jim Stroner
Today was an hour and a half of bear talk. I didn’t say anything that most of you don’t already know, but it felt good to be talking about bears. I don’t know how many viewers it will have, but Gay was good to send me a link that some were asking for to see and hear it.

https://youtu.be/BgTKFB38s7w

It’s a bit of history and a bit about bears. Some questions and answers about my favorite subject. I very much appreciated the opportunity. Dr. Gay Bradshaw is an expert in animal psychology and the creator of the new field of science Trans-species Psychology.

Thanks for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28966 on: Yesterday at 05:43:46 AM »

hi you guys its 60 here be in the 90s today tomorrow showed for next week in the 80's so fall not coming here for awhile. no rain either and i sure wish that for others. winds today weather lady said be 40 mph my tv will riding the skies with ease she also said we are so dry windy do not start a fire no cig out the window. i cant believe you have tell people that but you do.  i love that pic of doc and shylow 

hi joho where is that pic at? are the indians in wildcard too? i think they are yay if so and dock strike over for now yay to that too

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/89055D5AE09C?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28967 on: Yesterday at 05:48:41 AM »

MULE MISSION UPDATE 🐴
“The mule team had a successful day. They were able to bring mule loads of food and supplies to many residents in Black Mountain. All went smoothly, and the mules and packers are resting for the night! Their plan for tomorrow, is to bring supplies, food, and check on residents' needs in an area towards Swannanoa, where it is believed 30% of the town's residents are trapped and can't get out. This will be a busy day for the team, and we pray for their safety and stamina!”

they will have the stamina mules are known for that  they are more sure footed than a horse placement of their eyes they can see all four of their hooves same time   please keep them safe god
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:51:23 AM by calhound »

johoward

« Reply #28968 on: Yesterday at 11:17:33 AM »

5:12 on the puzzle. Now it is 67 degrees and sunny here.  Been in all morning on computer. Nice clear video of Doc.  He is so good at recalling the experiences he has had, and the people who have helped him get his word out.  What a treasure he is.  The NABC is a real gift to the world with all it's displays and videos of his life's observations. Now it is almost lunch time here and I still have yo go get my mail and a prescription.
Did not see Karen yesterday.  She texted late and said she went for her flu shot, and was not feeling well.  She seems sensitive to shots.  The shingles shot put her off for several days.
No soap box today.  Good to see the mules helping out in the mountains.
Cal I don't know much about the baseball leagues.  I heard the Guardian/Indians were first in some group that eventually leads to the world series between the American and the National leagues.  I don't know if the Royals are in the National league, but if they are we might play them in the World Series.
You asked about a picture.  What picture is it?
Bye for now EV1 GBU.  Thank you God for stopping the port stike for now.

calihoula

« Reply #28969 on: Yesterday at 11:57:29 AM »

hi joho indy been out he is back in his ac fly free love my barn. where is doc sitting with that bear? at his office home  royals are american league we will not playing each other at world series but might getting there.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #28970 on: Yesterday at 12:03:43 PM »

on the WRI front porch.  I sent you a pic I took while I was there.
That video link of Doc was wonderful. I will save it for ever, and share it whenever I can.  Thanks

calhound

« Reply #28971 on: Yesterday at 03:58:35 PM »

hi joho i thought it was at the wri cause it looked like the pictures you sent me when you and debbie was there. mr kitty on my lap hard to type im telling you royals play at 5:58 at ny yankees hope it is cooler there man its hot hot hot here. i love docs hair

calhound

« Reply #28972 on: Today at 05:32:19 AM »

Snowball, a new visitor, and more - UPDATE October 5, 2024

Kunta
3-year-old Andrea’s yearling daughter Snowball is always good to see, and she started off this day right with her early morning visit. Later, I was almost confused when Kimani’s male cub Kunta showed up with a similar big brown patch on the back of each ear and a light face, but it wasn’t Snowball, and he was a welcome guest himself, especially when he looked at the camera with this cute expression.

Coyote
Coyote

Then there was the excitement of a new visitor, a coyote. I haven’t seen a coyote anywhere for over a year or maybe two. And there was one not far out the window not noticing me as he dug at something, frequently looked around to check for safety, and unknowingly posed for pictures that will let me identify him or her if he or she ever shows up again. It was looking up—probably at the crows and ravens that constantly circle, land, groom, and flock down to clean up bear leftover food.

Ravens
Ravens

High up in a white pine, I liked seeing the friendly, maybe even loving interactions of a pair of ravens. It is not mating season but they were touching bills together, probably saying I am still your mate and I love you.

Yellow-rumped warbler female
Yellow-rumped warbler female

Yellow-rumped warblers are still in the area, and this first winter plumage female sat nicely for a quick picture in good light.

Trumpeter swans
Trumpeter swans

I never know what I’m going to see on Woods Lake—mallards, wood ducks, beavers, muskrats, eagles diving toward mallards and making them dive, or what. A couple days ago an eagle swooped down on a group of six ducks, and I didn’t know they could dive so well. They all disappeared under the water and were safe. After more seconds than I thought, these ducks that usually don’t dive popped up just fine. Yesterday, the lake treat of the day was a family of trumpeter swans that are probably passing through in migration. Usually, it is just a pair of swans eating quite near the beaver lodge. Today they passed by closer than usual—two adults and a grayish juvenile.

Canoe by Beaver Lodge 8-20-24
Canoe by Beaver Lodge 8-20-24

The beaver lodge across the lake is something I can’t help snapping a picture of, especially in the morning when different light or smooth reflective water give different looks. Mornings before breakfast is when black bear field course participants look for wildlife as they canoe on calm water like this twosome that is paddling slowly by the beaver lodge.

I feel thankful and fortunate to be able to work in this setting with bears and wildlife of many kinds.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #28973 on: Today at 05:35:09 AM »

Making a difference one day at a time in North Western Carolina. 🙏🙏
Cajun Navy
Mountain Mule Packer Ranch
« Last Edit: Today at 05:37:48 AM by calhound »

calhound

« Reply #28974 on: Today at 05:47:20 AM »

hi you guys its 58 here clear i am thinking maybe there has been a coyote around there just did not see it.  such beautiful pics.  i did not watch the royals could not find it on any channel i went on to bed but saw heard on radio in barn they lost i think 5-6  mules are amazing going thru hard passage to help i saw they had stretchers on a couple of mules bringing sick down. going back to the old ways lots to be said for that. one man riding up front with all them mules i am just so impressed.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7A055D536360?z=0