Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1173220 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28950 on: September 30, 2024, 07:01:31 AM »

4:54 Finally done.   Weather is cloudy and cool but dry for now.
 Rehab is at 2:45. Last weeks girl wants to see pictures of bears at the WRI.  I left my phone in the car safe with wallet.  Now I will take it in and let her see the bears and Debbie and Abby and me feeding the bears. I think I can make it today.  I have been walking a lot too.  I am sore this morning.
Something wrong with bottom task bar.  Time is wrong and icon do not work.  This is new.  Usually this bar is self loading Microsoft Bing etc. on it's own.  Now won't do anything.  DARN!!!
 It is what I use to shut down and to sleep.  Odd!  Now I will be getting emails about buying a computer. AI MY A!!!
Well, bye for now.  HAGD EV1

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #28951 on: October 01, 2024, 05:36:34 AM »

hi you guys its 61 clear moon gone lots of stars

hi joho at the bottom of my task bar i have to hit the square start then it come up and fixes the date and stuff then i can go on.  wait mr kitty wants up here on my lap i got google chrome never want bing or the edge

hard to type with mr kitty helping.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/8D055D58813D?z=0

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28952 on: October 01, 2024, 05:40:43 AM »

Peace returns. Lily being seen - UPDATE September 30, 2024

Lily with Four Cubs
With no sign of bear hunters, days are more relaxing. Lily and her four cubs are frequenting a safely located den with her four big cubs. We’ll see if she settles there or finds a better one for the big family. She’s only seen on a trail cam. No person present. Exciting to catch her on the camera. Crossing our fingers that she’ll use the den.

Still seeing some bears at feeding stations, mostly mothers with cubs. . I remember how uncommon it was to see any bears in October. But October starts tomorrow and we’re seeing more than usual. Some are guessing that it’s because daily highs have been nearly 20 degrees warmer than usual. We’ll see if their genetically driven schedules will kick in soon.

Also seeing more birds as migration begins. Over a hundred crows cover the ground at times. All of them will be farther south in 2-3 weeks

Raven
Raven
     Crow
Crow
Ravens are about the shyest birds here, but one saw me in the window, walked closer, and let me snap a picture that showed the details of his face and the larger bill with the larger tip that lets a person tell a raven from a crow—in addition to the raven being 2 ½ times the weight of a crow and adult male ravens having a lot of shaggy feathers in the neck area plus a much longer tail than a crow.

Turkey vultures
Turkey vultures, 3 of the 7

Turkey vultures are coming through and seven of them chose a big dead tree as a late afternoon resting spot in the yard here. I’ve never seen that many vultures here. They were just resting. Most of them had their red heads tucked down. To get any detail in a picture, I had to zoom in on just three. One of them was looking away. Another had its head down on its shoulder, and the third had its head hanging low on its breast, which I’d never seen before. They were gone by sundown, although they are said not to migrate at night.

Red Squirrel w/Grass
Red Squirrel
Red squirrel gathers grass

A red squirrel made many trips away from the yard with mouthfuls of grass that I think it was using to line a burrow. I’ve never seen that before.

Blue Jay
Blue Jay
 Sharp-shinned Hawk
Sharp-shinned hawk
Sharp-shinned hawks are coming through, stopping off to sit quietly on a branch looking around with their hawk-eyes, and then springing into flight to chase crows (occasionally blue jays). I’ve never seen one actually catch and hang onto a crow. Crows are about three times the weight of a sharp-shinned hawk. Today, the big flock of crows suddenly took flight for what I thought was no good reason, then I saw the sharp-shinned hawk sitting on a nearby branch. It didn’t go after the big flock.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #28953 on: October 01, 2024, 12:04:11 PM »

7:11 Still waking up I guess.  Does not seem really that hard.  Cool and cloudy today.  Thanks Helene.
What a cute Kitty shame.  Karen and Debbie are loving it.
That update is great too. Make sure Doc. knows we like it a lot.  I loved seeing our hero mom, Lilly, and her FOUR BIG BABIES.  Remember when poor tiny Hope was too much for Lilly?
Had a nice healthy dinner with Karen last night.  Then watched the Detroit Lions give the Seahawks some lessons.  We alternated with Antiques Roadshow. It was tiring, and I could not stay awake this morning.  Maybe it was the rehab yesterday that tired me out.  My legs and back have been hurting.
I guess I am gaining through paining. LOL
Well, gotta go for now. GBU EV1.  Please God bring an end to the Arab Israeli conflicts around the world.  They have been going on long enough, don't you think. 

calihoula

« Reply #28954 on: October 01, 2024, 12:37:31 PM »

hi joho get a drink breaktime i did comment on todays update how good it was kitty shame good too middle east always at it i think of poor animals caught in it lots of donkeys goats too bad all the animals and good peaceful ones cant just move to another part of the world leave just pm ben and hamas let them fight till no one is left  meanwhile such damage trauma from helene hope never see her again i watched the end of broken trail western robt duval thomas hayden  church

The lives of two stoic cowboys and five abused Chinese women become intertwined in Walter Hill's sprawling miniseries Broken Trail.

i think those dock workers walked off job strike prices will be going up more
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 12:40:27 PM by calihoula »
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #28955 on: October 01, 2024, 04:36:17 PM »

hi joho oh jim is leaving to pick up his other truck he said royals are playing right now 1-0 royals winning 6th inning i gotta go fed mr kitty got chores left then watch tv

calhound

« Reply #28956 on: October 02, 2024, 05:47:01 AM »

Good to see Snowball and Spanky - UPDATE October 1, 2024

Snowball
Snowball was good to pose showing her brown throat and distinctive face. Her fur is 4 ¼ inches deep with very thick under fur making her winter-ready. She is the yearling daughter of 4-year-old Andrea, of Shadow, June, Jewel lineage.

Spanky
Spanky

Nine-year-old Spanky was also good to see—gentle, trusting, and calm and not chasing bears as he had been prone to do earlier. Maybe he is slowing down for denning. We’ll see how long he stays around with his very identifiable bulbous forehead that sets him aside from other bears.

Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler

A female yellow-rumped warbler came by signaling that the warbler migration is about over. These are the latest warblers to go south and the first to come north in spring.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #28957 on: October 02, 2024, 05:52:16 AM »

hi you guys its 40 here cali woke me up at 1am i let her out let out other dogs fed cats on the steps ones in my room went back to bed overslept by just an half hour but that really put me behind got to pick up groceries royals won it 1-0

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/84055D5411A9?z=0

johoward

« Reply #28958 on: October 02, 2024, 10:54:05 AM »

8 minutes on the church.  Beautiful day here.  Very cool, and bright.  Went to Giant Eagle to get Campbells soup at 99 cents, my price.  YAY!  I had to make sure my rewards card still workes.  It is so old I thought  maybe, like my Library card, no longer functional.
 Happily she says card is still good!  Then she says soup is $1.49 not $.99 for five like paper says.  Her boss said that's tomorrows price. DARN!  Why did they send the paper to me yesterday if prices don't start on Wednesday like all the other sales. Well, I will just go back tomorrow and buy at least 10 cans at my price.  It is still a 30 percent increase over 2022 price.  Thanks GOP CEOs.  Sadly their plan to make Kamala look bad is working.  Many people are blaming Dems for the high costs of everything.  IT IS NOT DEMs!
 It is the company CEOS who are all Republicans and they have all the pricing power.  Prices today, and lately, are not based on normal economic forces.  Rather they are artificially high to make us suffer and blame the people in government. Don't be fooled. Just look at the quarterly financial result for food companies and gas companies.  Obscene profits everywhere we look.
Leave the high cost stuff on the shelf until the price comes down.  It will take a while, but if we take away the demand the price will come down a lot.  For soup as an example.  I will pay up to $1.00.  I will not pay $1.49 or $1.79.  At that punitive fake price they can keep it until they have no place to put it when the truck brings it.  They will have to take it back to the warehouse and shut the line down. I heard the debate last night.  The pother side says high food and energy are hurting us.  They did not say this is due to them, but rather blamed Kamala.  This is a crock.  Don't believe it.  Just don't buy stuff you think is too high.  It will come down.
OK now no more soapbox.
Thanks for the update and puzzle and dog shame Cal.  GBU and EV1 who is suffering.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 11:54:49 AM by johoward »

calhound

« Reply #28959 on: October 03, 2024, 05:29:14 AM »

hi you guys its 54 and clear said no rain for next 9 days which is good hope it is true. i feel so bad for victims of hurricane helene heard on weather channel another storm brewing they said helene once in a generation but i dont think that is true. i hope so but i dont.

hi joho when i ordered groceries at walmart tuesday picked up yesterday my same old cookies i get every week for indy raccoonies went up i was not happy over that i got some but then got the rest i get alot of cookies over at harps same price cheaper price there. some things are cheaper at harps not pet food or lots of things but some they are and when they raised their prices on stuff that was already high i did not buy it but i do buy stuff there people very nice small store easier for me to get around and i like having something beside walmart to shop at. so sometimes pay more . it has nothing to do with ceo gop i just pay more cause i like that store the people very much and having a choice.

ALDS bound! Kansas City Royals sweep Baltimore Orioles, advance to face New York Yankees BY JAYLON THOMPSON UPDATED OCTOBER 02, 2024 11:02 PM

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/73055D54DF10

johoward

« Reply #28960 on: October 03, 2024, 11:37:22 AM »

5:47 Yay Royals!  Maybe we will play them in the series Cal.  We are doing good too this year.  The Indians I mean.
Had a nice dinner of fish, asparagus, mac n cheese and salad at Karen's last night.  Then we watched Netflix with a Tom Cruise sci-fy movie. Where he died repeatedly. Then woke up in a pile of soldiers luggage and started his life over knowing what is goin to happen next.  This gave him the power to save the world.
  Cal, I shop at Walmart and Drugmart and big grocery stores.  I am sorry I did not pay attention to hoe THE PLAN is affecting the smaller Mom an Pop stores.  I can see that THE PLAN is a problem for them as well. They are faced with paying premiums for smaller quantity buys as well as the increase their suppliers are forcing on them.  Many will not survive, because their customers will be priced out.  I see it in small town restaurants around here every Summer. I go traveling around on scenic trips for apples and produce etc.  I try to support the little guys as much as I can.  They are between a rock and hard place.
 In at least two of the small towns I visit I have seen our old favorite businesses shut their doors.  It is sad, and I wind up going to some nasty old bar or a gas station with a few shelves of groceries, and a cooler. They have the necessities like pop, candy bars, chips, milk, and bread.  These little businesses are all there is left some small towns.  I love them too.
The good news is that I heard on TV some of the more respected talking heads have begun to point out the fact of CEOflation. So it is not just me.
 Every time one of the candidate ads follow THE PLAN and tells me how I am suffering from high food and energy prices due to Biden I get angry and turn off the TV.  It happens a lot these days.  I am wearing out my clicker. LOL
OK Soapbox over and out for today. GO ROYALS!  GO INDIANS! and GO KAMALA!
Bye EV1 GBU, Ukraine, Israel, and all who are suffering.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 11:43:43 AM by johoward »

calhound

« Reply #28961 on: October 04, 2024, 04:55:28 AM »

hi you guys got to hurry jim wants to talk to me before he leaves to go look at this trailer deal its 64 here

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/22055D5C3F7B?z=0

calhound

« Reply #28962 on: October 04, 2024, 09:17:15 AM »

The most valuable linemen are not in football. __Jim Zeigler

johoward

« Reply #28963 on: October 04, 2024, 12:11:49 PM »

5:22 thanks Cal Cool and again very nice day.  I love Autumn.  Soon our trees will be changing color.  Some have started.
I am going to look on line for my sample ballot and get ready to go vote early. It is what Deb and I have done for several years now. I don't even know where my polling place is.  LOL

I will say CUL EV1 GBU.

calhound

« Reply #28964 on: Yesterday at 05:35:20 AM »