Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1067305 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28020 on: February 10, 2024, 05:02:11 AM »

hi you guys its 31 here 25 in ice 31 in kviv and 62 in the barn. sweets up high i went up and petted him will give his shot later on this morning be more awake for that. only one shot now. he looked good not seen him up yet today but its early.  i watched last part of lonesome dove The Return so up till 8 pm cant help but watch it seen it lots of time read the book many times.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C8055D5632F8?z=0

gb all animals and gb all of us
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #28021 on: February 10, 2024, 09:05:53 AM »

7:23 Tough one for me this morning.  I am preoccupied with thoughts of what is to come.
 So very happy to hear of Sweet's improvement, and his ability to show his appreciation.  Now, Cal,  he is still Sweets. Soooo watch out for his love pats!  OK?  I loved your description of Indy's release.  I have seen this exuberant behavior in the past when stabled horses and ponies are let out.  It is truly exhilarating.
Hi Neva,  you give good advice.  Thanks.  Rain just started to hit my window.  Must be blustery out there.  Blinds are still down for now. Now up. Yes, it is windy, and big rain drops just stared.  It is grey and 46 degrees at 10 am.
I checked the USPS email.  I see that sometime today a letter from a county sheriff candidate, and one from the C-T paper will be in my box.  I wish I knew when so I could make just one trip to my far off mailbox. I guess though that I do benefit from the walk as long as I don't trip and fall in the street. I take my cane just for insurance.  On rainy days like today I take my umbrella too, and put the mail in my biggest pocket.  So far so good.   Three years and counting. LOL
I will say bye now.  CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.  Thank you God for hearing of Sweets needs.

calihoula

« Reply #28022 on: February 10, 2024, 09:44:00 AM »

hi joho laughing still sweets i know but i believe a new sweets he loves being petted more than ramming me i went back up gave his polio shot he did so good i have to lay next to him to give the shot his little tail waggin away jim left his little salt block down below i put it next to him he was gnawing on it furnace kicked on pretty warm where he is up high barn new furnace putting out the heat should of changed it way sooner sweets burping away that is a good thing no bloating vet said he wont bloat now but im thinking well that started all this got two syringes ready to go with gas x on work table. i came back down sweets hill hi indy hi maybe baby hi big yellow cat hi birds fed them more put hay in for sweets i wish i would of video indy outing yesterday but i was with sweets jim watching indy putting on a show after vet left jim went to get indy back in no no no i aint coming in so jim got me had gator right there i said he may not come to me jim said he will come to you i drove in had little grain bowl shut it off trying to tie lead rope to gator bar here comes indy running past jim heading for me what a good boy jim said good boy when jim takes him back to the barn after he has him inside shut the door i drive around indys pasture check fence saw indy been on top of a grave wish he would not do that.i thanked god jesus guardian angels mom for sweets and other stuff your thoughts on what is to come?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #28023 on: February 10, 2024, 04:29:11 PM »

Horse Trekking ...  24:56    45°   (2:54  pm)   Mostly cloudy, some rain w/ snow in the mountains.  Enough to make the skiers happy.  The birds outside sound sooo happy!   

Cal      That is all good news about Sweets.  Your furry kids sure know who their Mom is.  I hope that Sweets remembers how much he likes hugs rather than ramming someone, but I know you'll be careful.

Joho      How did you know what mail would be in your mailbox today, before you actually got it? 
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #28024 on: February 11, 2024, 04:53:10 AM »

Breakfast at the WRI - UPDATE February 10, 2024

Raven playing peek-a-boo
When I come extra early to jot down overnight thoughts, I’m often distracted by the first faces to appear out of the darkness. Today it was a mink that was disappointed to find that the sudden cold had frozen the meat so tightly to the surface that it couldn’t bite it off.

Mink
Mink
 Fisher male
Fisher male
Other times it is the big male fisher that takes everything, making me glad I’m here to put more out.

One morning, a chickadee was the breakfast winner making me wonder how close it had slept outside to be the first at the food.

Common redpoll
Common redpoll
 Chickadee
Chickadee
As it got lighter, a seldom-seen redpoll appeared and held for a picture.

A couple days ago a raven repeatedly flew within a few feet of the pork pieces, each time veering off when it saw me sitting perfectly still. He at least had the courage to land behind a tree and become a peek-a-boo raven for a bit before showing me that I just look too dangerous and flying away.

This evening, I was glad to see the mink, that this morning had left empty-handed so to speak, find non-frozen pieces of pork I’d just put out. I like it that he is familiar enough with this place that he doesn’t bother to look in the window when he’s checking for food, something the shy new fox didn’t bother to do today either as he tried to grab the same frozen piece of meat the mink had tried. But then he noticed me and hurried away. We’ll see if he has a personality that can trust or can’t trust, just as we have seen with bears over the years.

But while the winter wildlife are coming for nutrients to help fight the cold, I can’t help thinking of Lily in an unknown den caring for cubs that are now probably two to four weeks old and growing hair that will help fight the cold as they become able to move about and explore their surroundings or when Lily has to leave them uncovered while she urinates and has to hear their protests.

I also think about the black bear courses that are filling up (14 spots still open) in preparation for the excitement of meeting bears, learning from them, and everyone sharing thoughts about experiences that most people would never think possible. It’s always fun to see participants who are coming back to be among participants who want to share their experiences or will be having their first experiences learning directly from the bears or getting pictures of things they don’t want to forget.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28025 on: February 11, 2024, 05:18:36 AM »

hi you guys its 30 here 62 in the barn when i went in earlier sweets got right up watching me i went in and he came down his hill he is walking more steady this morning. he came all the way down to me and i petted him went up the hill he was following me . he took a pee and i cleaned out his water bowl added clean water set his little salt block next to his bowl. he was pulling on my shirt pocket i had cookies in there gave him a cookie cleaned up his area around him came back down he followed me back down he lightly rammed the back of my leg hay there boy you needing to ram i put my cane hanging on his bars and he gave it a ram or two. i petted him again and went out did my barn chores. put out more hay for indy and sweets fed maybe fed the birds etc. went back out started feeding all the cats have the dogs too do yet.  yesterday i was wondering what you call a group of ravens so i looked it up they are call an unkindness and group of blue jays a party or a band group of magpies a tribe crows which i got alot of them a murder vultures are a committee falcons hawks a cast  just thought all that was neat.

hi neva you have to sign up for that mail deal i did and now on my email it shows me what will be coming each day  How to sign up for informed delivery?
You must have a physical address or a P.O. Box for personal use only. informed delivery notifications are not available to businesses and business P.O. Box addresses. Your ZIP Code and address must be suitable for informed delivery. It will be checked during the signup process. You need to visit informeddelivery.usps.com and go to sign up. Full fill with your address or P.O. Box address to check If it is proper for informed delivery. You need to create a USPS personal account. You must verify your identity by completing the mobile phone verification process, or you can request the code by mail. When you verify your identity, you will be moved to the confirmation page. You can click “Go to Dashboard" or, just wait, and the web page will automatically redirect you to your informed delivery account

hi joho i think sweets is kinda thinking of ramming i still got three more days of a daily shot to give him. hope he does good heading back in a bit to give him one

and as alice said GO CHIEFS!!!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/06055D4B78CC?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #28026 on: February 11, 2024, 08:16:35 AM »

hi you guys sweets following me around i got up on his hill wanting him to lay down but he stood and right next to me so i combed him out indy watching having a fit well indy i remember you hated to be combed out  but no more sweets drank his water took another pee pulled at my flannel shirt finally got tired laid down i pull that flap out did shot he was so good no ramming at all boy loves being petted scratching his neck i put his fresh hay in front of him he was eating it gave indy his hay he dont miss nothing fed maybe again. big yellow cat he runs at night sleeps in barn all day he is not back yet two more days of a shot
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #28027 on: February 11, 2024, 11:09:45 AM »

Neva, Just Google "USPS.COM" sign up.  Then click "Informed Delivery".  It is a free service of the USPS, and it works.  They email pictures of all normal mail to me each morning from Cleveland.  I live in Elyria about 20 miles away and we have our own post office.  So the mail gets here a little after the email, but usually the same day. Try it.  You will like it.
Yay Sweets!  Yay Cal!  Yay Jim for good care! Yay vet for finally showing up.
Doing wash .  Dryer almost done.  Time to hang.
 GO CHIEFS!!!!!!
CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine. Thank you God for Sweets cure.

neva

« Reply #28028 on: February 11, 2024, 04:20:13 PM »

Football Lineup ...  36:37     55°    (2:49  pm)      Sunny + breezy.   

Cal      That is such good news about Sweets.  It does sound like he is appreciating the pats, hugs and comfort you've given him.  Maybe they'll be a few less rams.  See Sweets, it is nice to have a good Mom.   

Joho     Thanks, I had no idea that service existed.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #28029 on: February 12, 2024, 04:14:01 AM »

Today was Not Like Yesterday - UPDATE February 11, 2024

Fisher
Fisher male eating
Fisher male eating

This morning, instead of food being frozen tight and unavailable, the big male fisher and a mink arrived soon after I put it out and took full advantage of it. First came the fisher, posing nicely on the railing so we could see his nice chest blaze. I clicked, and he continued on to where fresh food was waiting on top of yesterday’s frozen food. He got his mouth around all the fresh food and went head-first (unlike a bear) down the tree to do whatever he does with his finds. I suspect he ate some and hid some. Then he was back for a surprise task. He managed to peel the frozen piece from yesterday off his feeding spot, take it down the tree, and call his trip a success.

Mink
Mink

Minutes later, a mink appeared and also posed nicely before carrying piece after piece of meat away. All the action pictures turned blurry, but I thank him for providing the nicest mink face I think has ever come out of my camera. He might have been thanking me for the bonanza of meat I’d laid out for him. I can’t really read his mind, but he did look right at me and hold still.

Thank you, mink and fisher, and thank you all for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #28030 on: February 12, 2024, 04:24:01 AM »

hi you guys its 26 here 31 in ice 39 in kviv 62 in the barn very nice update little faces are nothing short of darlings make me sick to see an alaskan fur commercial i yell you sick bit** change the channel people who eat veal you make me sick i gotta get to thinking of something else sweets doing good this morning i worried yesterday he fell down going up his hill but got back up and he did fall in hay still. he is good this morning came down to see me i went back up to change his water do his hay. yellow cat still mia. so yay to the Chiefs i fell asleep but woke up to see the end and they won yay went back to sleep watched highlights on my local news earlier. we love being the underdog. saw taylor swift flying back from japan with her mom to see travis play.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/4E055D560564?z=0

johoward

« Reply #28031 on: February 12, 2024, 07:48:02 AM »

YES! Yay Chiefs.  BOOOO Kelce!
Will do puzzle after I get a little more awake.  CUL EV1

johoward

« Reply #28032 on: February 12, 2024, 09:48:42 AM »

6:50  Something wrong with eyes this morning.  Will not quit watering.  I think I need to rest them by not looking at this screen for a while or reading the paper.
I enjoyed the update then did the puzzle.  Very happy to hear Sweets seems to like Cal's affection, but he is Sweets and his love taps might hurt. Keep an eye out for his full recovery.
 I been playing YouTube music for two hours.  First was Beatles hits.  Now Toby Keith all time hits.  Solo cup. Red White and Blue,  How do you like me now?, etc. Some are new to me like "Trailerhood".
Bye for now.  CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #28033 on: February 12, 2024, 12:05:29 PM »

hi joho sweets still being sweet yesterday i was opening up a box of nilla wafers for sweets indy i ate a couple and oh no something hard it was a crown lower right back molar i called dr platte first thing this morning got to go there at 3:30 today leave at 2:15 i could fit it back on so hoping just cement it back on. but so late to go. i was so sad about toby keith he looked awful thin like my dad was with his cancer. i love that song in the trailer hood watched the video earlier  :) kc having chief parade wednesday at 11 am suppose to be really nice too be packed.

johoward

« Reply #28034 on: February 12, 2024, 02:24:44 PM »

Well you guys.  I want you to know I just sent an email to Marge in Ireland and invited her to look in on our "Jewel" chat.
Just Sayin'
Bye for now. headed to Meir's' for some deals. Like Campbell's soup at $3.99 for 4.  I may buy some Valentine flowers for Debbie and my new friend, Karen, who has been very nice to me.
CUL EV1 GBU