Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1126085 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27075 on: July 17, 2023, 04:59:10 AM »

Old Guy - UPDATE July 16, 2023

Old Guy
I’m not talking about me or any old guy, it’s Guy the Bear and he is looking old with white hairs all over his head. I asked him if he would get in position for a picture for all to see if I gave him some sunflower seeds. He agreed. I haven’t seen him for a very long time—years.

I was surprised to see him with the white hairs because I didn’t think he was that old. But looking back to when I was just getting to know him at this time of year in 2009, he weighed the same as he does today. I judged him then as a young adult, which would mean 4-8 years old. But if they reach full size at about twelve years of age as we have found for males (6 for females) , and he weighed the same then as he does today, he might have already been around 12 back in 2009. Now, 14 years later, that would make him around 26, which is what he looks like with so many white hairs and the round face of an old bear. I’m glad we got to see him. He acts the same as ever with his calm, accepting demeanor.

He is not a clan bear, so he is not a known-age bear. He has shown up elsewhere in the study area but this is the first I’ve seen him for years, and all I can say is “Hang in there, Guy. Keep up the good life!” If I ever get a permit to use radio collars, maybe I’ll put one on you so you can reveal to the world how it is to be an old bear and how that might affect your travels, bear/bear interactions, dominance, reproductive success, weight, hibernation, dentition, foraging, bear/human relations, and whatever you show us. Glad to see you are still getting around okay.

Thanks for coming.

And to everyone else, thank you for all YOU do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27076 on: July 17, 2023, 05:11:32 AM »

hi you guys its 69 here 72 in the barn 58 in ice and 88 in kviv. i remember guy the bear seems like one year was afraid hunters got him but they did not! and i hope doc you never get permits for those radio collars again. june lost her life due to one that should be enough to never want to do that again. dont make them even more of a target.

hi neva well to escape the extreme heat there is iceland and alaska cant go to maine or vermont due to extreme flooding indys new farrier called jim yesterday he will be here tuesday afternoon at 2 he has no set date just calls when he comes up this way he has 12 others to do that day in our area. boy is needing them done so happy to get over. suppose to rain that day hope it is over by then he wants indy outside tied up to our hitching post and he ask me for some cookies to give him and then has me give indys treats. indy says OK!

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C9055D4E4E49?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27077 on: July 17, 2023, 08:42:56 AM »

6:02 Slow, because I was distracted with thoughts of yesterday with Mary.  Was a very good day with lots of interesting people to meet Mary.  I was so proud to be with her. Seems I always have to leave her before I want to. Not sure what that means.
We will text some today,but she wants to work around her home so I will leave her alone.  If I can.
Now we are trading some outstanding photos from our outings.  They are stunning images and such good memories.
She is texting now to trade photos.  So I will go to be with her in a way.
Thanks Cal for the update what a wonderful story of the lost returning, and Neva for being here.  Find some shade Neva.  Or come over here.  It is 76 and hazy, but very nice near the lake shore.  I love Ohio.  I was in five states last week on my way to and from Ely.  All nice in their way, but Ohio was so nice to see on my return.  I was elated.
  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #27078 on: July 17, 2023, 03:07:13 PM »

By Antoinette Radford & Kathryn Armstrong
BBC News
Vladimir Putin has vowed to retaliate following a "terrorist" attack on the bridge linking Crimea to Russia.
Moscow has blamed Ukraine for the incident - which left two people dead - but Kyiv has not officially said it was responsible.
The Kerch bridge was opened in 2018 and enables road and rail travel between Russia and Crimea - Ukrainian territory annexed by Russia in 2014.
Russia's transport ministry said the bridge's supports were not damaged.
The ministry said investigations were continuing, but unconfirmed reports said explosions were    heard early on Monday.
Russian authorities have accused Ukraine of attacking the Kerch bridge with two "unmanned surface vessels" (USVs) - drones that travel over water rather than through the air.
As yet, the BBC not seen any visual evidence to confirm this.
But a source in Ukraine's security service told BBC Russian it was behind the attack and that water-based drones were used.
In televised comments on Monday evening, the Russian president accused Ukraine of launching the "senseless" and "cruel" attack.       :)     
The attack on the bridge has damaged the road it carries but the railway line running parallel to it have not been damaged.
The bridge is an important resupply route for Russian forces occupying parts of southern Ukraine.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #27079 on: July 17, 2023, 06:09:21 PM »

Juan les Pins ...  23:25     105°  (2:57 pm)    Sunny and hazy clouds accumulating to the east.  Windy. 

I hope that your day is going as you had hoped.  Mine is pretty good so far.

Hi Cal ...     Yes, New England would be one of my first choices if I had to leave here, I have a lot of family up there, but I dislike winter, and as for the floods, I can't even swim.     ☹️     

Hi Joho ...    Larry and I were married 56 years and in all that time, we never visited Ohio.  He was born in Toledo, but he was raised in Findlay.  His family would come out here to visit.  I hear that its a lovely State.  I am at times, quite homesick for Massachusetts.  My mother was born and raised on a farm in Maine.  I'm pretty sure I will never leave here.  My traveling days are over.

It's raining!   4:32   pm    ⛈️⛈️⛈️☔
                hail too.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 08:12:11 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27080 on: July 18, 2023, 05:43:35 AM »

hi you guys its 67 big bad storms heading here hope i can get to walmart pick up my stuff and get back home before that happens. its 73 in the barn 56 in ice and 78 in kviv

hi neva yay you got rain and hail too! last friday when our storm hit in the city and kansas 188,000 without power and polly i am sure was one of them still some without huge trees down baseball size hail i saw had straight line winds of 60 to 100 mph why all them huge trees down homes damaged we got some wind here big rain hail but not that. but might get that today. i use to love living in kansas course love it more when my family all still here but i love missouri too hate summer hate it.  my grandmother wanted me and her to go see new england states but did not happened we went to vegas to see mom polly aunt ruth and cousin janice and them i always had a good time with my grandmother on my moms side. and my aunt ruth on my dads side. neva how you go thru life and not know how to swim. do your kids know how to swim? you be careful with this heat i saw on the world news death valley....Death Valley in California is among the hottest places on Earth. In the midst of a heatwave baking large parts of the US South and Southwest it may have just set a new record for the hottest midnight ever.

Between 12am and 1am on 17 July, the Badwater basin weather station maintained in Death Valley by the US National Weather Service recorded temperatures of 48.9°C (120°F).

Hi joho. i use to have some friends that lived in chaska mn and we went to see them way back first time i was married. i thought mn was a very nice state too. really nice restrooms and people very nice.

i gotta hurry feed the dogs etc get going

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/54055D5A2733

neva

« Reply #27081 on: July 18, 2023, 05:22:49 PM »

Dog Flying ...  23:19     110°  Sunny + windy.  Cloud towers are trying to build up over the mountains to the east, but wind is shirring off the tops of them on one side, which could keep a rainstorm from happening.  Weird how that works.  We did enjoy yesterday's storm for the most part, but some didn't -  trees down and a few roofs taken off.

Hi Cal ...    What surprises me about Death Valley, there are a few people that actually choose to live there.  I had thought that only Park Rangers might be living there, but nope.   I was sick a lot as a child, so didn't learn to swim or ride a bike, active things like that.  I used to go boating with my day a lot, either a rowboat or a canoe, and I loved it.  I didn't think of what could happen out there, thankfully.  My mother couldn't swim either.  When I had my kids, I told Larry to teach them how to swim, and he did a great job of it... they all love bike riding too.  😊

Hi Joho 
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27082 on: July 18, 2023, 09:24:23 PM »

5:37 Hi Neva.
Finally got to do this puzzle.  Spent the first part of the day with little Odin and Nick at the butterfly garden.  Here butterflies landed on us from time to time.  Lots a little children were enthralled by the beauty of the insects.
Did not see Mary all day. At 9pm she says she is tired out and headed for bed.  I was just 2 minutes away, but she did not know that so I just went on by.  I did not want to. Now I am sorry I did not pop in on her earlier around supper time.  I made extra supper hoping I could have her over, but could not get in touch until way later when I was already done and cleaned up. Texting sucks!  I feel like we are doomed, because of the texting delay that seems always present, and others.  I thought I could fit into her life, but now I am not so sure.  There is no place for me and us except way late in the day when she is tired.  So we are doomed.
I am being a downer here and don't want to be.  Soo I will say GN and GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #27083 on: July 19, 2023, 05:11:42 AM »

Bear Action - UPDATE July 18, 2023

Andrea by Kelly Ogilvie
Andrea by Kelly Ogilvie
Andrea - K. Ogilvie

Calls are coming in. Bears are showing up in the area. A call yesterday was to invite us to bring the Black Bear Field Study Course participants over to see Andrea (3-year-old daughter of Jewel) and her three cubs (male Cupcake, male Twinkie, and female Snowball). Course participant Kelly Ogilvie got a couple nice pictures of Andrea, but her cubs were high up in a white pine back in the woods where we didn’t want to bother them.

Then, on the pontoon ride this morning, we checked the bald eagle nest and saw one of the juveniles standing tall showing his growth.

Bald Eagle Juvenile
Bald Eagle Juvenile
After that, it was bear action the rest of the day.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #27084 on: July 19, 2023, 05:37:53 AM »

hi you guys its very humid here already i see lighting in the skies to the east its 56 in ice 78 in kviv and 74 in the barn. ben indys farrier canceled yesterday which i was happy about i went to get groceries stopped at harps first just got back in my car driving to walmart it poured lighting thunder had to back up to walmarts back door so they could load me up. but jim told me awhile ago big action at ford swat team there his phone was going off on and off all night i said is ca okay he said ca sent home along with everyone else.

1 / 2
Ford plant in Kansas City’s Northland evacuated as police investigate ‘possible threat’
File photo/Keith Myers/[email protected]
Workers at the Ford Motor Company plant in Kansas City’s Northland were cleared from the facility on Tuesday afternoon as authorities were investigating a “possible threat” that may have been a prank call, according to the Clay County Sheriff’s Office.

The shutdown was prompted by a phone call made to the company’s safety and risk management team around 5:20 p.m., Sarah Boyd, a spokeswoman for the sheriff’s department, said in a statement. The SWAT team was called out to enter the Claycomo plant and look for the source of the threat, Boyd said.

The person who called claimed to be a disgruntled employee armed with explosives, a rifle and a handgun, Boyd said. The caller also said he was barricaded in a bathroom on the second floor of the plant.

“It is possible this is a swatting call, but we will treat the threat as real until we can prove otherwise,” Boyd said. “Our negotiators are on scene, as well, and have been unable to make contact.”

Production did shut down and was canceled for the night shift on Tuesday as the threat was being investigated. Police blocked off the road on U.S. 69 Highway as the investigation was ongoing.

The sheriff’s department was asking people to avoid the area on Tuesday

hi joho well you was acting like you need to spend every single day with mary and seems she likes to have her own time too. you cant be stealing that. spending time with your family and your little grands is great for them and you. soon football will back and cold weather i am ready for cold weather.

hi neva good your kids swim and ride bikes good to know how to swim just in case of an er. i saw on the news two policemen with binoculars looking off a bridge in flood looking for those two little kids mom died in car swept away just broke my heart.  :(  i wondered when someone would show up at ford like that but jim says so far doesnt show anyone was there i think he said that you know my mornings are just so packed whole day is i keep a cooler of ice with kittens milk jug in it in my closet so when i get up couple times a night i can feed them do litter box and give milk. if i leave my room go around the corner to kitchen penny starts her howling brownie joins in. i am bossed around by the dogs i do not like this but it is what it is.  i am sorry you was sick alot as a kid. :(  kinda scary reading you went canoeing an boating and did not know how to swim  i see on the news far too much someone going in to rescue someone and in turn they drowned i loved the water when i was a kid mom taking us to the local pool getting those frozen candy bars but not for along time do i like it i can swim but i get short of breath so no swimming for me . i do not miss it. miss being a kid miss riding my horse more than swimming.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C8055D5632F8?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27085 on: July 19, 2023, 09:43:03 AM »

7:40 on ten happy butt sore trail-riders.   My once in my lifetime horse would have been running out front of all of them trying to get across the whole mountain range and back to his stall in record time.  LOL
OK Cal "I will wait" is my favorite song, and Mary knows it.  It is just that I don't have much time left to live, and I am anxious to live it with someone.  Mary and all her friends are much younger.
That is a great update.  Excellent photos by a "courser".  Brings back good memories of boating up to that eagles nest and of feeding the bear on the porch, and of the chipmunk going up my sock inside my jeans.
"Swatting" should carry a mandatory 10 year sentence.  The stress could and probably does cause death to some.
Weather has been kind of nice, but monotonous lately.
Don't have any plans for today again.  I started out for Drugmart at about 8am.  Went for a longer bike ride instead.  Then got on here to whine I guess.  Poor me.  Oh! Whoa is me. Etc. LOL  I did see this is sale day at Drugmart.  I will go I guess for the savings.  What is that you say.  I could save it ALL by NOT going. LOL
The only thing I have on my agenda is to get some tiny cherry tomatoes to Debbie to taste them.  She bought me that plant. I am stalling a little, because I think they will taste even better if I pick them this afternoon.  They are ripening fast today in the sun.
OK now I will say CUL EV1.  Thanks for being here for me to vent.
GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #27086 on: July 19, 2023, 11:01:40 AM »

hi joho does not matter how old mary is or you are still cant be stealing. jp went in assit living for some help he liked other people there too liked dining room but did have his own kitchen he had his car drove to dennys still too. i liked hearing about you feeding the bears on the porch boating up to the eagle! what did dr rogers talk about? my once horse my first one had for forty years broke her as a kid my mom watching over with a switch when i fell she said get back on but mom okay so happy i did too. she always was the lead of the pack trail rides i loved those she was lead horse riders called her grandma but when their horses would not go move over me and my little one rode thru rest followed. hope to ride her again in heaven for enternity i hope who did that at ford is caught.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 06:35:19 PM by calihoula »
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #27087 on: July 19, 2023, 03:08:25 PM »

hi you guys jim got home showed me picture of guy think did swat stuff. his paycheck was short ford payroll does that sometimes have jim but like jim said just go say something get your money. now this fool is looking at 6-10 years fired from ford pay restitution big huge bucks there big bucks and more. its not confirmed but jim said fbi pretty sure do not mess with fbi. alice if i can i will watch david muir at 5:30 pm  :)

calihoula

« Reply #27088 on: July 19, 2023, 06:33:11 PM »

hi you guys on our local news said they have the guy who did all that he is only 19 but said faces big charges jim said he was a new hire

neva

« Reply #27089 on: July 19, 2023, 06:40:46 PM »

Horse Trekking ...  30 +      112°  (3:45 pm)  Very cloudy, dark to the east, no wind just yet ... hopefully it'll rain.

I hope that you are having a good day, today.  I'm fine.

Hi Cal     How scary it is these days, you never know where or when that sort of thing will happen.  Let's hope that that is it, the one and only for the Ford plant.     Cal, I just read your last post ... what a way for that kid to start his life, huh?  Too bad.

Hi Joho     Again, Cal is right again.  A nice, comfortable, relaxed friendship, with no pressure can be the best.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 06:42:59 PM by neva »
(J.W. Stephens)