Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1126202 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27060 on: July 13, 2023, 05:57:43 AM »

hi you guys its 72 here 54 in ice 79 in kviv and 74 in the barn. muggy another hot and humid day but i really feel for neva and AZ.  :( i cant say it enough come on winter or at least fall come on.

hi joho i did look it up popcorn is okay for dogs i know grapes are not chocolate is not. polly use to really like grapes but she was careless drop them on the floor alot scared me with all my dogs had 4 griz still here so i do not buy them anymore jim does not eat them and i dont need too. i do give my dogs snacks always have they do not bug me at the table for food either. i do that cause if i am hungry and want a snack i know they would too. i dont need a show dog type or even one really well trained just a dog that i love and loves me. that is how i feel. sometimes i luck out and get a dog that minds pretty well calihoula and sometimes i dont penny and brownie more penny than brownie  :) but still my dogs. we do put the dogs up if anyone comes over always.drop food here leave it. hope you got back to sleep okay i was watching the world news few hours ago before i got up and showing tom cruise doing his own stunts for mi movies. wow he broke his ankle on one jumping from one building to the next one way over there. i am not a huge fan of his but i might watch his mi movies harrison ford did alot of his stunts too at 80 on his new movie riding that horse for one i know how hard that is. i am a huge fan of harrison ford

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9F055D5447DB?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27061 on: July 13, 2023, 08:26:15 AM »

5:51  Coffee and cereal waiting. CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #27062 on: July 13, 2023, 02:12:06 PM »

Erdogan Just Doomed Turkey's EU Membership
Despite the last-minute deal on Sweden and NATO, his blackmail attempt is further reason for Europeans to keep him out of their club.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #27063 on: July 13, 2023, 08:03:38 PM »

Cape Blanco ...  21:55     106°  (5:17 pm)   partly cloudy, slight breeze.  no rain yet, but 43% humidity.

Around the 4th, I asked for prayers for my neighbor, who fell off her roof when trying to get on a ladder to get down off the roof.  She injured her neck and head, creating an embolism type of situation, so she had surgery for that, and I think there is another surgery in the near future.  She is a very lucky/blessed woman, she could very easily have died.  Thank you for your prayers. 

Hi Cal ...    I guess Erdogan expects the rules of the EU  organization to be set aside for him.  Turkey has never been considered to be a part of Europe... they were even the Ottoman Empire and did not have a good reputation either. 

Hi Joho  ...    I hope that tomorrow's hoped for visit happens.   
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27064 on: July 13, 2023, 11:19:06 PM »

Hi Neva,  YAY!   It will happen.  Mary has exhausted her patience with the five dogs.  She said she wants to have some me and her time without dogs tomorrow.  I am glad.  I only have to wait for her call when she is ready and we will be off on a nice ride and visit somewhere. I think I will take her to the very nice garden park where I was today.  She once said she would like to be invited there, and she loves plants of all kinds.  So I think she will have a nice day. Also, I will get to see the historic Dean Road Bridge. Google it if you would like to see it too.  The boys, Debbie, and I crossed and recrossed the bridge today.  They were impressed.
 After walking a lot in the garden I expect she will work up an appetite.  If she does I will take her to my favorite little family restaurant in Berlin Heights Ohio.  I suspect we will eventually spend some time along the lake shore.  Maybe even walking a little on some beach possibly in the waves.  I will do that if she wants.  The sand and water feels wonderful between your toes in the Summer.  The water is much cleaner and smells a lot better than it did years ago when I was growing up in Avon Lake.
Here I am running on again for you all.  I tried to get Mary to look in here regularly to se what beans I have spilled, but I don't think she does.  At least I never hear from her about what I have said.  I would like to.
Well OK for now EV1 GN GBU and GB Ukraine. Seems to be working a little with Sweden etc.

calhound

« Reply #27065 on: July 14, 2023, 05:14:17 AM »

hi you guys its 70 here 53 in ice and 73 in kviv 72 in the barn

hi neva thanks for your ladder neighbor info. yes she is very lucky hope she remembers that and hope the kid stays away from rooftop in her future leave that stuff to the pros.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F9055D53929D?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27066 on: July 14, 2023, 04:31:57 PM »

Hi you guys.  No Mary yet today.  She was pooped so I took my two GGSs Odin and Nick for bluberrie picking.  Was a hoot.  We got 4 lbs.  Which is quite a bit for the short time we could stay.  It was just awful hot.  On the way home I stopped at a friend from high school's home.  He gave us some nice cold drinks and then took us all touring around in his 6 acre woods on trails that were not really trails.  He just plowed through brush and low limbs and ruts galore. Stuck only once for a few seconds.  It was great.
Then we stopped at 4 Keys for lunch. It was great too.  Then to Debbie's for their dad to pick up.  What a great day.  Also , best of all, Mary has asked me to dinner at her home at six.  I will not be late.
I just told Marge to look in on our chat now and then.  I think she might, but not for sure.  She is pretty busy with the bears.

GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27067 on: July 14, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »

Toes ...  20:41     103°  (2:28 pm)   Lightly overcast, mild breeze.  17% chance of rain ... right... I'll believe it when I see it.

Hi Cal ...   I am pretty sure my neighbors have learned a horrid lesson.  They will be very leery of roofs and ladders, and probably a few other situations as well.  You are so right, leave that stuff to the pros.

Hi Joho  ...   I'm glad to hear your various plans are going well.  I like the look of that bridge.  Thanks. 

(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27068 on: July 14, 2023, 11:05:14 PM »

YES NEVA! That is it.  I love it there.  That is where I rescued the baby red squirrel last Earth day after I threw the dead mother into the weeds to spare the scavengers.  The little devil attacked me in the street near that bridge.  I took him on a very long ride and eventually got to Castalia Ohio at The Wilds. He was released a little later.iMary said she will go there with me tomorrow.  Thanks for showing that photo.
Now I will sleep a little.  Good night and GBU.

calhound

« Reply #27069 on: July 15, 2023, 05:24:56 AM »

Competing with Bears for Attention - UPDATE July 14, 2023

Chipmunk
We had a good number of bears for the recent course but another animal was almost as popular. It was an Eastern Chipmunk that I had an unusual experience with a few days ago. I was surprised to see this chipmunk coming toward, getting in my path and standing still when I could have stepped on him. I stopped—my feet less than a foot from him. What would he do next. He came forward and climbed my pantleg to my knee before dropping off and looking for food elsewhere.

Chipmunk w/cheeks full    Chipmunk w/cheeks full
During the course, we watched the chipmunk mingle just as closely with Cedric the bear, filling its cheeks from the same pile of food Cedric was eating. Sometimes, Cedric gently used a paw to push him aside. Cedric may be an unusually gentle bear, guessing from the way he is tolerated by other bears, bigger or smaller, the friendly sounds bigger males made to him last year and the willingness many bears have to play with him.

In this course, this chipmunk distracted some from their interactions with bears. People were picking him up, stroking his back, and seeing him fearlessly continue his quest to fill his cheeks. In the process, he climbed pant legs, checked shoulders, went across the back of people’s necks, or just explored across their laps. He fearlessly gets into the confines of a container that says “Rich Pure Taste” even though there are people nearby who have gently touched him or stroked him as he kept stuffing his cheeks. He hasn’t bitten anyone. Watching his (or her) quick dashes away to its hole to empty its cheeks and return in a minute or three, we got into counting how many hazelnuts he’d take at a time—typically 6 to 11, usually 7-9.

With his cheeks stuffed bigger than anyone had seen before, we had to take pictures, like the one in the container with nine nuts stuffed with the outer six making protruding bulges, three on each side. Very commonly, he would stuff eight into its cheeks and hold the ninth in its mouth as he ran off to his winter larder. With the bonanza of nuts he is sharing with the bears, both will have good winters—bears with a good layer of fat, and this chipmunk with plenty to eat during his periodic winter wakeups when he will bring his heart rate and temperature up to near normal and fill his stomach with what we are seeing him store.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #27070 on: July 15, 2023, 05:43:04 AM »

hi you guys its 70 here 55 in ice 79 in kviv and 71 in the barn. little chipmunk is just so cute. dr rogers like us love them all what a kind man. i hope anyone who comes here comes to read his updates and help out the bears and other animals. not you marge you do that everyday too. :) we had a huge thunderstorm yesterday i was trying to get my barn stuff done when i came out it was dark out 5 pm saw on tv storm was hitting in city trees down power out  then it hit here huge lighting cracks penny and brownie barking at that. we did not lose power but lots did.

hi neva covered bridge looks good. yesterday it was so hot and humid it was real feel 110 i thought wow neva hot hate it. saw on weather channel it was hot in vegas too and you all of us. awhile ago i saw it was 90 for you and it said on weather channel no chance of rain  :( give neva some rain please

hi joho here we would of buried that poor little squirrels mom. we bury all dead animals we find. we do have lots of land and a backhoe. but keep out stuff like epm and other things dead animals can have keep land safe for indy and others. bury deep too.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/AC055D55E8C3?z=0

calhound

« Reply #27071 on: July 16, 2023, 05:17:31 AM »

A Work Day and a Date Night - UPDATE July 15, 2023

Lucky - photo by N. Angus
It was a work day with big help from others—also help from a couple people who sent pictures I have to pass on . One is from Bear Center intern/photographer Nick Angus who came through with another super picture—Lucky in the pond showing his eyes and soul. He caught Lucky in the kind of light that shows his eyes in a way I had to share.

Garter Snake
Garter Snake - photo by P. Mair

And then I found on my computer a picture from volunteer Paula Mair who was working outside and snapped a picture of a peek-a-boo snake sticking its tongue out at her.

As I write this, a herring gull is pecking on the window, telling me to get up and throw him bologna to catch in mid-air. I’m pretty well trained but at this moment am hurrying to get home and take Donna to the Spiritwood Concert in Ely. The core of the Spiritwood musicians are singers Pat and Donna Surface who love bears and have actually composed a couple songs about them. One is Makwa Manido Spirit Bear and the other is about the research and is named Bearwalker. They travel giving concerts but are super friends living nearby. I always say, my favorite singers are Pat Surface and Elvis Presley (dating me).

I’m looking forward to their concert under the big top, as they say. For the concert, they erected a huge tent that holds hundreds of people.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #27072 on: July 16, 2023, 05:26:51 AM »

hi you guys its 68 here 56 in ice 82 in kivi not sure what the barn is its full of raccoonies i know that. update pics so good esp like that snake one what a shot.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7B055D5A458D?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27073 on: July 16, 2023, 06:29:56 AM »

5:46 Hi ev1. Had a very nice day away with Mary yesterday.  Lots of Garden walking and lots of riding around in the country. Seeing new area of my state. Lunched in a little old restaurant in Milan.  Where I had been disappointment in the past.  This time it was a great experience.  Then we toured the tiny back streets of Milan enjoying the various atmospheres in the neighborhoods.  After that we headed out of town on a lot of nice rural roads toward Norwalk.  Finally feeling a little lost we used Mary"s phone yo get started toward home to feed her pups.  On Rt 511 we came on a pasture near the road with 4 or 5 huge long horned cattle.  Mary snapped some good shots showing the impressive horns. Then we popped in on my friend Billie who calls me Uncle. We had a nice visit in his bachelor living room full of a huge tank of fish and a skittish but cut little Minpin named Sam.
 Mary and Bill found they had a lot in common due to their creature hobbies.  I was glad, because i like them both and really wanted them to hit it off.  Billie is smart with appliances and will come help Mary unscramble her pile of techy stuff so we can watch my CDs from the NABC someday. I could not do it.
BTW that chipmunk in the update is the one who climbed up my sock inside my jeans when I was at the Institute.  I have a picture of him coming out of my cuff and looking up at me.  I will try to send it to you by text.  You will have to look close, but he is there.  I am glad to see he is so entertaining to Doc. and his guests.
I will say bye for now and get started with my day.  I am taking Mary to Heritage Farm in Brunswick Ohio.  She will be looking for ideas on what to make in the way of crafts.  I will be doing what I like best by keeping her company.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27074 on: July 16, 2023, 09:24:33 PM »

Telefon, Ireland ...  20:59    104°  (6:46 pm)  Sunny+ breezy.  Very short, light rain last evening.

I hope that everyone had a good day.

Hi Cal ...  I can't wait for summer to pass.  I am a bit tired of what everyone is having to deal with.  It is a bit shocking.  I remember telling Michelle that the way things are heating up, she may have to leave here someday, but he way things have been going, where would you go?

Hi Joho ...  Another busy day for you.  I'm glad you two had a good time.
(J.W. Stephens)