Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 628780 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #26865 on: June 01, 2023, 08:23:02 PM »

Shore Boats ...  25:07    88°  (4:40 pm)   Overcast and somewhat windy ... actually a nice day.

I hope all is well with all of you.

I tried to post yesterday, but lost the post somehow.  All I was doing is venting anyway.  My granddaughter + her boyfriend are/were storing their bikes on my back porch.  There is no room to store them at their apartment.  He did not lock up their bikes and someone stole his bike in the middle of the night, an expensive, 'much loved' bike.  Made Police reports - low priority, of course - what can you do?  We'll probably never see that bike again, unless they try to pawn it, which is unlikely. 
At least no one got hurt.  Granddaughter's bike is locked up now.   

Hi Cal ... you are right, it is nice to hear some good news sometimes on the news stories.   I agree about the kid that laughed at Biden falling ... they have a few surprises coming to them down the road someday.   I heard one politician say to day that he is getting his popcorn made and ready, to listen to Trump and DeSantis go after each other.  Comedians are going to keep on having a field day with that.

Hi Joho ...   I cannot wait to hear of your visit to Ely and the bears, when it happens.  And, what a privilege it'll be to meet
Dr. Rogers.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #26866 on: June 02, 2023, 05:26:37 AM »

Heartwarming Sounds and Scenes - UPDATE June 1, 2023

Paul and his buddy
For over two weeks, a lone yearling has been here daily, behaving cautiously and taking refuge high up in a white pine as yearlings often do when they are newly on their own after family breakup. The team has identified him as Paul, son of 8-year-old Pixie who has been seen repeatedly 3 miles north of here before and after family breakup.

New yearling
New yearling

Today, life changed for Paul. For the past few days another yearling has been coming. Today, they made ‘Ted sounds’ to each other, tentatively coming together and backing off, only to make sweet sounds again and finally touching noses. Things progressed rapidly from there. One climbed a tree. The other followed. After some tentative play, they both got on the same level in the tree and played raucously. They are still together now at 8 PM.

Paul climing to buddy   Paul and buddy   Paul and buddy
Paul climbs to his buddy to play
Their play included the larger one (117 pounds) lying on his back while Paul (88 pounds) got on him and played like little cub Lucky used to get on big Ted.

Play looks a lot like fighting but is done quietly with gentle bites. Their ears are often back but spread to the sides in what some call ‘airplane ears’ that are common during play. It’s all gentle but sometimes fast.Paul (open mouth) and buddy
Paul (open mouth) and buddy

These two yearlings did not argue over food. They got on the scale tight together and ate nose to nose. They both seemed to need each other. They were inseparable. As they played in a lying down position, they sometimes relaxed with one on top of the other. It is common for yearlings to buddy up, but this is the first time I saw the initial actions and sounds of two yearlings sealing their friendship.

We’ll see what they do tomorrow, how many days or weeks they stay together, and if other yearlings join them over the next several weeks. I’ve seen groups of up to four. We’ll be watching.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #26867 on: June 02, 2023, 05:41:00 AM »

hi you guys its 68 here 51 and raining in iceland 80 in kviv 70 in the barn i am so happy to read paul got a friend i hate family breakups so this was nice to read. hope other break up kids join in too really good they are by dr rogers.

Hi Joho i just saw chiefs pregame aug 26th i think brownies will be here.

hi neva oh makes me so mad stole his bike and from your back porch!! yes very good no one hurt but now you wonder who did that will they be back so i would be looking out good and maybe you might just see the thief riding that bike.  maybe a cop just might see it. i know neva desantis and trump pence i heard announcing his run next week. and oh that christie guy. did the dogs bark or anything when they stole that bike? maybe i could send penny and brownie indy sweets out there. stay on your back porch let someone walk into that mess!

GB ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D4055D551CFE?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #26868 on: June 02, 2023, 04:02:39 PM »

6:24 I see lots of clean up at the bear yard, but still no bears.  My friend Karen came over, because I am house bound waiting for Spectrum repair man. Lorrie just brought over lots of two kinds of dinner.  Will have to freeze some for later, but which one?  Cabbage and sausage or spaghetti with meat balls and Italian sausage?  Both are if fridge.  I will choose later at dinner time.  I called the jury person.   Machine says no jury duty for me on Monday, but call again after 4pm Monday for further instructions.
Yes, Browns and Chiefs 2pm august 26th.  I will mark calendar.
I will cul ev1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #26869 on: June 02, 2023, 09:41:42 PM »

Gull on roof ...  22:32       89°  (7:40 pm)    Getting dark.

Cal ...    You asked if the dogs heard anything when the bike was stolen --  nope   😕   Sound asleep in bedroom on the other side of the house.  The two dogs belong to Michelle and they want to sleep where she sleeps.  During the daytime, the close by neighbors go out in their own yards, and that pup lets us know all about it.  I think I need to invest in a goat/mule alarm system.

Joho ...   I got a Jury Duty Summons about a month ago, and thankfully just filled out the form online and so can forget about it.  From 70 years old on, you are excused --  At 81, I am not going to go.  I didn't mind going when I was young, it was interesting.

Your dinner choices tonight sound good.  How lucky you are to know some caring, good friends who are also good cooks.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 09:44:09 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26870 on: June 03, 2023, 05:08:41 AM »

Play, Love, Feelings, Paul, Jewel, Spanky - UPDATE June 2, 2023

Dr. Rogers and Gerry the Bear
Paul and his new buddy didn’t spend as much time together today as a third yearling came into the mix for awhile and as Paul’s buddy decided to go cool off in the lake on this 85° day. But Paul and his buddy had a good romping play session that displayed the closeness they showed yesterday. The main thing seemed to be joy of being together with their ears in play position and their mouths open for gentle holding. Some of their togetherness looked almost loving. One picture shows Paul lying down inviting his buddy to come and engage him. Sometimes they look like they simply like hugging and closeness. I felt some of that from Ted when he’d simply grab me with his arms or mouth and hold me, as I want to write in the book.

Pauls buddy swimming
Paul's buddy swimming

I also felt that from Gerry who had been raised in captivity for a critical month. When I introduced her to a foster mother, she accepted the mother and was part of the family, but we had a bond that began the moment I greeted her like a bear. When I walked with the wild family and sat on a log for a few moments to write notes, Gerry would climb into my lap just to be close—like pets and people do with each other. Gerry remembered that connection for as long as I knew her. Hugh Morton captured a moment of reuniting in this picture of her holding me close after a long absence.

Paul and Buddy   Paul and Buddy    Paul and Buddy
Paul and his buddy playing
Good memories.

On another note, now that Jewel and her yearlings have separated, Spanky came into the picture and was last seen following her scent trail. I hope we can see what develops.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #26871 on: June 03, 2023, 05:21:21 AM »

hi you guys its 65 here 51 in iceland 64 in kviv 69 in the barn i hope jewels poor get out kids find others to be with too like paul. cool picture of gerry and dr rogers.

hi joho!hope your repairman showed up and fixed everything. tv parent is sleeping kids underneath.

Hi Neva! well if the thief would of came during the daytime your pup be on that. penny checks looking outside thru kitchen windows i tell her if you just got to look out please close the curtains when you are done.  keep that sun out. she is like ca he is constantly looking out the window at neighbors i would hate to live down in those townhouses really bothers niece jeanne who lives like 4 down from him like she said at least on same side not across the street she peeks out her door before she takes out her trash or gets in her car.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/17055D4FFD23?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #26872 on: June 03, 2023, 08:54:07 AM »

Russia’s defense ministry says it repelled another cross-border attack on its Belgorod region, which it blames on Ukrainian “terrorists.” Kyiv denies involvement and says the militants are Russian citizens opposing Putin. The fighters identify themselves as the Russian Volunteer Corps (RVC) and Freedom of Russia Legion and have claimed responsibility for recent armed incursions into Russia’s border territory.

Meanwhile, Russia continued its intense missile barrage on Kyiv, which killed three people — an 11-year-old girl, her mother, and another woman — overnight. Ukraine’s Air Force said it shot down all 10 Russian missiles, but that falling debris from the interceptions caused the deaths and injuries. It was the 18th Russian attack on the Ukrainian capital since the start of May.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #26873 on: June 03, 2023, 09:27:01 AM »

5:20 Good morning.  No repairman yet.  Also email is fouled up by Kinetic.  They tried to help me use the new format twice.  Each time it was  worse after they tried.  Now it types only giant 48point letters.  Which the last repairman tried as an experiment.  Now I called again and have been on hold for about 30 minutes.  I think I am getting the run around, because I told him I want to speak to someone in the USA.  So he put me on permanent hold with music.  The music is not too bad, but the repetition is more than I can put up with much longer. That is all. I hung up. Kinetic is not a good company.  It is no better than Spectrum who are crooks, and have kept me waiting around my home for now three days to do a repair they want to do.
Neva I was offered the opportunity to opt out of jury duty based on age.  I have never served, but want to. I have heard several interesting stories from others that have served.  With my new knee there is no reason I could not serve. I am not needed there on Monday, but I have to call after 4pm on Monday to find out about Teusday. gtg cul ev 1 gbu and gb ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #26874 on: June 03, 2023, 01:52:37 PM »

hi joho im sorry for all your going thru that is bull i got an american speaking person when i called my credit card not only did i get one they also gave me a 100.00 credit. i put indys be nice halter on and this time it was tighter jim walked him out around corral and back in indy pulled but stopped came in told him good boy cookie jim led him back out turn him out on his pasture we put in new coils inside furnace in more freon took all morning it is hot i opened indys door he was by pearls grave so jim went out to get him i watched thru crack in door had other ac that indy is scared off on it cooled down alot of barn indy started to back away from jim but jim pulled out a cookie indy reached out for it jim grabbed his halter snapped on lead and walked indy to door opened it i pulled by tarp come on indy and he walked right in! i could not shut door stuck i went out pulled hard got it we praised that boy. new ac is working great still need to finish screwing on front plate but cold air pouring out now. got to feed the dogs and this time justin not in the barn trying to get indy either
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #26875 on: June 03, 2023, 07:10:26 PM »

two racoon on snowman

johoward

« Reply #26876 on: June 03, 2023, 07:20:36 PM »

What a good boy Indy is!
 TV man just left to "take his wife to the pool". 
He fixed my modem that I did not know was deficient, but could not find water leak, or fix my tv.  I need to pay the water guy $80 to come out and find the leak  with his water witching tool. If he says the water leak is caused by the new wire i will have to get my money back from Spectrum.  I think I will just turn water off inside the house when I get done watering.
Now at last I will go get some dinner.  Good night and thanks for being here.
GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #26877 on: June 04, 2023, 05:30:16 AM »

Another Mother and a Gray Tree Frog and Half-Birthday Celebration - UPDATE June 3, 2023

Mom with brown cub
I was gone most of the day conferring with one of the two dedicated groups I am helping establish black bear sanctuaries in the US. Exciting. But it means I didn’t see all I should as bears show up and need identifying.

Along that line, one of the team members had a mother with a brown cub show up to begin the identification process that can be difficult at first, especially if the mother is missing facial hair that help tell who she is. They sent this picture, and the team will come through with a name eventually.

Gray Tree frog
Gray Treefrog
The day started with a treat. Last night about midnight, "Eyes of the Night" spotted a gray treefrog (Hyla versicolor) climbing a window with its soft and rubbery toe pads covered with adhesive mucus. We have been hearing their loud trill each evening but they are hard to spot up in trees. She put it in a container with air holes along with flies and moths for it to catch and eat so it would be happy and healthy when I arrived this morning to see it. Even though it is named ‘gray tree frog,’ its scientific name means it can change color. It was bright green and at its prettiest. That color is especially common with males in mating season, but it is also a color used as camouflage to match their background, and she did have a lot of green grass in the container. I set it on a rock to see if it would hold still for a picture for a moment before it hopped off. It did, and the sun caught its color, its eye, and the translucent rubbery foot pads (in the bottom middle of the foreground) that help it climb trees and even windows. Thank you Gray.

Half-Birthday Party
Click banner to donate

On another note, it is time for the annual North American Bear Center's Half-Birthday Party where you can vote for which piñata each of the 3 ambassador bears receive. All of the donations will help fund new dens for the bears. Join in the fun!

Click here if you want to read more:
https://mailchi.mp/bear.org/2023_half_birthday

Click here to place your vote!
https://bear.org/get-involved/donate-to-bear-half-birthday-celebration-2023

calhound

« Reply #26878 on: June 04, 2023, 05:52:32 AM »

hi you guys its 65 here51 and raining in iceland 69 in kviv and 68 in the barn. happy half birthday to our bears!

Hi joho! is your tv working? i read about nato being pressured to get ukraine in many think let ukraine in kick out turkey and hungry now biden and uk and france others tallking about doing like a treaty deal like one with israel  where provide all this money for weapons and stuff help ukraine not only win this but keep russia out not do this again and something about if they do come to ukraines aide said not in nato but kinda like in and this treaty deal dont not need turkeys or hungrys okay so i like that thought before why cant they just do that but answer always dont want to provoke russia well they provoked ukraine. biden said give money to ukraine for that keep some rep from stopping that not all for that many for helping ukraine but is you know who gets in there be bad for ukraine.

hi neva!

gb ukraine gb all animals gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/EA055D587920?z=0

johoward

« Reply #26879 on: June 04, 2023, 07:01:25 AM »

4:46 I liked this one.  Of course I have been up and out since 6 am watering the lawn with my leaky irrigation system.  So more awake than usual.  Very nice crisp morning.  56 degrees, but still and sunny.  I may go for an early bike ride around the area.  There are trails, and streets are not at all busy.
Well again Spectrum is a disappointment.  I did answer the 5 questions of what I think of them.  I gave the repairman three ratings of 5, the best, and I gave Spectrum two ratings of 1, the worst.  The company has disappointed me so many times over the last two years.  They know they have accomplished a no competition situation around here, and are taking full advantage.  American greed at work.
I did run the irrigation system through a complete cycle from 6:02 until after 7:00 am.  Seemed to be fair.    I turned the water off when it stopped watering so I do not pay for the leaking water.  Now I have to watch for the start of the next watering cycle, and turn the water on.  Problem is I am told it is a every other day cycle. That means it will be on again at 6am Tuesday which is mowing day I hear.  We are supposed to keep grass dry for mowing.  So I don't know how this is going to work out.  With an odd number of days in the week, how can I not be watering now and then on a Tuesday?
I have a lot to learn.
I will say bye for now. GBU all and GB Ukraine.