Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 629343 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #26175 on: January 23, 2023, 05:22:40 AM »

Celebrating the Birthdays of Hope, Fern, and Herbie - UPDATE January 22, 2023

Lily and Hope 3/27/10
This is an 11-minute video about Hope put together by Olatz A. Munarriz of Spain. Back in 2013, her introduction to this video on Hope’s birthday included these powerful words:

"On January 22, 2010 a beautiful fairy tale began when our HOPE was born in a cold den of the Northwoods of Minnesota in Ely. I would have never thought that a tiny black bear cub, born so far away from where I lived, was going to steal my heart and so many others around the world the way she did.

During her short life she taught us the true nature of black bears, changing minds and removing misconceptions like never had happened before. She was an inspiration and a life-changing experience for many and I would like to celebrate her life and all the good things she brought to us all through this 11 minute video where you will find her story."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GIl_XcvDso&feature=youtu.be Thank you again Olatz

Hope’s birth on January 22, 2010 created more joy and her death on September 16, 2011 was grieved more deeply than any bear in the world. During her nearly 20 months of life she also taught more people around the world about cub life, emotions, relationships, and mixed-age litters than any bear in the world.

The photo of Lily and Hope (above) on March 27, 2010 was soon after they exited the den when Hope was three months old.

Jewel in den on 10-22-11
Jewel in den on 10-22-11

This photo of Jewel on October 22, 2011 is of her in the den where she would give birth to Fern and Herbie exactly three months later.

This next 9-minute video is of Jewel giving birth to Fern and Herbie on January 22, 2012 and has great sound of Jewel’s welcoming grunts and the cubs’ squeals during the birthing process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eognFId4gFM&list=PLQLYSOipvhjsRxKAhD6n6V6WBhowri6UM&index=76

Chickadee
Chickadee
Red-breasted nuthatch
Red-breasted nuthatch
Out the window, no fox or Bob Cat has appeared since the wolf first came on the 18th . He was here again on the 20th , but not since. This morning, he was seen nearly a mile away chasing deer. We’ll see who comes back first, the wolf, one of the two foxes, or Bob Cat. Meanwhile, it’s been mainly birds and squirrels here.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #26176 on: January 23, 2023, 05:40:11 AM »

hi you guys its 19 here cloudy 31 snowing in iceland 35 and cloudy in kyiv and 51 in the barn. 

hi joho! so happy we are going to ARROWHEAD! that is what ra emailed back to me going to arrowhead and this is where we are no longer for the bengals chiefs kingdom baby! :)

hi neva! i got to see the game here and there cause i got so many animals to care for so next game i will be taping it but ra let me know what i missed she said bengals came out blazing  :)  chiefs came out blazing. :) be a good game esp if we win. yes got some tempers in the barn sweets started it but he dont care he is a goat but indy a mule and indy backing up and smoke coming outta of his nose and ears and charging sweets door course sweets going back to his bed and pushing off that wall charging his door that door is made of steel and solid wood planks jim put a bolt in one side of his door so it will not come off the other side. only slide it back or swing it out and it is tied down. pearl did not like sweets from the get go and she would try to bite him in that corner and he would try to ram her but they did not do any charging like this. when indy goes out for his 2 hours sweets cries his eyes out. then he gets all excited and ramming the door when he comes back in. its the jumping up that makes indy mad. maybe does look but she goes in there she did keep out when that was going on. lots of yelling in the barn.

gb ukraine and germany someone sends those tanks gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/CA055D56DCC2?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #26177 on: January 23, 2023, 09:20:32 AM »

6:05 30 degrees and snow is slowing.  Saw two cars in the ditch this morning when I went to Debbie's.  One, a  soft top Jeep tried to stop for turning traffic but slid into a deep ditch.  He was trying to back out onto the road.  A half hour later he was still trying to back out.  Ditch is really deep there, and his tires just could not get a grip.  The other one was a Kia Soul.  It had lost it on a curve, went left of center and wound up behind a guardrail.  Both will need a tow truck to get out.  City salt truck came by right after I passed these two.  It was 8:15.  Too late in my opinion.  My car is bad for snow.  So I was extra careful turning and stopping.  Brought Boss over for the day. He is sleeping now.  He likes to catch snowballs and eat them.
Should be a good game at Arrowhead next week.  I like both teams.  So I will be a little conflicted.  Just hope to see a good contest and not a blowout either way.
Too bad Sweets and Indy are agitated by each other. Really dangerous if you get between them.

calhound

« Reply #26178 on: January 23, 2023, 12:30:00 PM »

hi joho working on tax stuff no conflict here go chiefs hope no one gets hurt sweets indy do pretty good i think at times jealousy and wanting treats they both know i am good for treats at all times. sweets jumps up so he can be sure to get noticed i mean he is a goat course indy is a mule . i am careful but you know stuff happens. living on the edge at times good you were careful driving everyone should be but not so. got to get back to work and concentrate on the task at hand

neva

« Reply #26179 on: January 23, 2023, 02:27:18 PM »

Dog & Trophy ... 23:42     40°  (12:17 pm)   Mostly cloudy and some wind. This morning, when Bella left for school, it was snowing here, but nothing that would stick.  I imagine the mountains will get more and it will stick.  The people at the Ski Lodge will love it.

Hi everyone.  I hope your day is a good one in whatever way you need it to be.

Hi Cal,    I hadn't thought of a mule being quite that feisty before ... only the word 'stubborn' comes to mind.  I knew that goats are full of it.  I wonder if those tiny little goats that I'd want, are the same?  They are so cute!  I could end up getting my shins rammed, I guess, if I got one.  I hear that they allow people to have them within the city limits here.  Nope, I will not be getting one at this late date in my life.  lol!

Hi Joho,   I hope you and Boss have a great day, and why would you not?  He seems to be good company.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26180 on: January 24, 2023, 05:16:02 AM »

hi you guys its 25 here and weather saying we could get 1-3 inches or huge amt drift down more south we will be getting less 31 and snowing in iceland 34 and cloudy in kyiv and 51 in the barn

Hi neva wow you got snow! did you go stand in it? few years back when i got my knee surgery back in 2018 i think so been awhile later on i went in with sweets and he was so happy i was in there jumping all around ramming his wall and then my knee.  :( no you do not want to get a goat now. even a little one is still full of it they are goats. indy not real stubborn but he does have his own thoughts. maybe been coming out of the barn following me to the door she will go in the garage but sometimes the boys are there and then she runs back out. no place to bring her in the house where it would just be her she wants to be with me. barn nice and warm lots of places to sleep she was in there this morning.

hi joho did you guys have fun yesterday. our local news talking about patrick injury im worried about it. and vegas odds now give bengals a 1point lead over the chiefs so i think will be a close game and i hope for patrick sakes he gets to play. be very cold here 10 wind chill minus zero so our weather man said tickets for the game 400.00 you might want to think about it no die hard fans will be there arrowhead will as always be packed.

gb ukraine someone send those tanks gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A6055D4FF37B?z=0

johoward

« Reply #26181 on: January 24, 2023, 09:37:05 AM »

Yay 5:27! I am average!
 Good morning. Cold and still out today. 32 with haze.Trace of new snow over night.  No real depth, but enough to make streets slick and messy.
No news ye, so I will go get second coffee that is probably cold by now.  I saved yesterday's paper for this morning so it will be a while before I get back on here.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #26182 on: January 24, 2023, 12:49:31 PM »

hi joho yay you average! on the donkey cam the horse mule are outside of the fence hay is thrown on the ground for them and the mule was walking first then the horse they came up to that hay and little donkey came over from the side and horse said i dont think so so horse on side of the pile of hay and little down mule on the other dont see the donkey now oh horse just moved that mule out of the way mule left too horse has all the hay to itself.

neva

« Reply #26183 on: January 24, 2023, 03:45:32 PM »

Lorikeet ... 33:48    47°  (1:27 pm)   Sunny, windy and Chilly.   

Nope, Cal, I would not go out and stand in the snow.  I can miss rain, but not snow.  I get homesick for New England, but not for the winters there.   You are right about me and goats --  the last thing I need, is a goat, even a tiny one.

Hi Joho,  It sounds like they haven't straightened out the delivery of your newspaper yet.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #26184 on: January 24, 2023, 04:06:07 PM »

Neva,  There is no paper delivery, and won't be.  They have given up.  They just put it in the mail.  The mail is not reliable. It never gets here before 11:30.  Sometimes it is after 6pm.  It is a morning paper mind you, and was always here for breakfast.
 My "senior community" mailbox is down the street and around the corner.  It is about 1/8 to 1/4 mile one way.  A long walk  for any person. With or without mobility issues.  I am well now, but many others are not.
  I expect someday soon the paper will just stop.  I will miss it.
Just looked in on the Great Dane cams.  Seems there is always something going on.  Thanks again Neva for the link.
Thanks Cal for your descriptive narratives, The updates, animal shames, and puzzles. You start my day just right.
 Bye now EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #26185 on: January 24, 2023, 06:39:49 PM »

CNN
 —
Germany is set to send its sought-after Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine to help bolster the country’s war effort, Der Spiegel reported on Tuesday evening, attributing to unnamed sources. German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has decided to deliver the battle tanks following “months of debate,” according to the German news outlet’s exclusive report.

Ukrainehttps://www.reuters.com › world › europe › ukraine-pled...
2 hours ago — Germany will send Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine and allow other countries such as Poland to do the same to help Kyiv fight off Russia's ...

U.S. poised to send Abrams tanks to Ukraine
The U.S. is poised to send its top-of-the-line battle tank -- the M-1 Abrams -- to Ukraine, giving it major new capabilities to launch offensives against Russian troops.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #26186 on: January 25, 2023, 05:24:18 AM »

Street light got replaced but they took care of the woodpecker's house

calhound

« Reply #26187 on: January 25, 2023, 05:47:23 AM »

hi you guys its 32 here snowing its a wet heavy snow slushy 31 and snowing in iceland 34 and cloudy in kyiv and 51 in the barn. when i was pushing my walker thru the snow on the sidewalk to the barn here comes maybe. she went out the hidey hole and thru the snow to me. she went right in the barn i hope she stays out there till i get back out i try to go out every two hours i sure do hope those tanks get to ukraine and sure do hope they help take out putin. saw north korea sending putin missiles and iran drones but i dont think either of them have big tanks and stuff.

donkey cam horse mule donkey all inside eating in their own spaces. being nice they sure have a good home get to go out come in at night and bad weather  :) falcom cam it is snowing nora sent me a cool video and eagle left  https://fb.watch/igPKuu9Lxb/

gb ukraine gb those big tanks gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C2055D501C1F?z=0

johoward

« Reply #26188 on: January 25, 2023, 06:06:33 AM »

Good morning EV1.  Been up a while looking at cams too. What a brave hawk!  Must be really hungry.
Wintry mix has started here.  Quite a bit of snow already in Ohio on Backyard Cam.  Been watching a bunny there for an hour or so. Also, Been watching the sun rise at Long Lake, NY where my niece Susie lives, and at Deer Pantry in Maine.
Thanks for puzzle Cal.  Will do it a little later and report my time.  I like to go for a walk while most around me are sleeping, and before the morning winds kick up.
So CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

johoward

« Reply #26189 on: January 25, 2023, 06:50:15 AM »

Looked out and saw it looks a little slick for walking.  So I am back on 'puter.
 Did puzzle and got a pretty good time of 5:49.
 Can't get over that hawk video. I think he is lucky the eagle is not as hungry as the hawk.  He would eat the hawk, and the hawk's lunch if he were.
Wishing you all a good Wednesday wherever you are.
Bye for now.  GBU and GB Ukraine.  Go Germany!