Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 630132 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #26160 on: January 20, 2023, 06:18:23 AM »

8:40 Watery eyes and slow mouse, but done.  Wintery mix outside.  Not too cold yet. Had a violent front pass through here last night with lots of lightning and thunder and wind, but not much else.
It is Friday, but does not matter as much as it used to.  Each day is about the same.  Thank you God for my stable health that comes ,I know, from you.
Thanks for being here.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

neva

« Reply #26161 on: January 20, 2023, 04:08:37 PM »

Red plant ... 69:52 (yikes!)    53°  (2:03)      Clear, sunny and windy,

Hi everyone.  I hope your day is going well.

Hi Cal ... That does not surprise me, we live about 65 miles from the Border, and anything can come over that border.

Hi Joho 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:02:32 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #26162 on: January 20, 2023, 05:52:24 PM »

hi neva yikes puzzle time border
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #26163 on: January 21, 2023, 05:22:40 AM »

he Wolf is Back and Beautiful - UPDATE January 20, 2023

Wolf
This evening, excitement struck. The wolf was back and we were ready with meat treats where we saw him (or her) before. He ate, disappeared, and stopped back for another good encore that included this ID picture of him looking thoughtful.

People are asking how dangerous wolves are. Their danger isn’t zero but it is low enough that the recent killing of a woman in Alaska was the first such tragedy there since 1990.

When I first came to Minnesota, radio tracking at night meant I couldn’t hear other noises and made me wary that a wolf might be coming up behind me. Later, I slept in the woods under the stars and never had a problem other than a snake crawling into my warm sleeping bag with me once, which wasn’t really a problem.

When I hear about the danger from wolves that dare to come around people, I think how often I’ve heard that for black bears. Yet Eagles Nest Community has shown over and over for some 60 years that the opposite is true. No attacks.

Then, some years ago, some people were hand-feeding wolves some 10 miles east of Ely. Photographers were going there. I went there and had memorable adventures, although I never fed one. One time, I went to the spot and there were no wolves. I was taking pictures of shorebirds around a little pond when suddenly there was howling close behind me. The wolf ignored me as I turned and aimed the camera his (or her) way. No other wolves appeared in response to the howls, but it felt good to have the wolf go about its business not thinking I was a bad man to be afraid of.

Another time there I was in my pickup on a two-track road not a hundred feet from the opening where they are usually seen. To my surprise, several wolves came down the road toward my vehicle and split to go around it. As two passed on the driver’s side, I saw them pause to pick raspberries which I didn’t know they ate. Sometimes it is good to be quiet and learn something. They passed on never knowing there was an occupant in the pickup.

A film crew had a similar adventure while filming June some years ago. A pack approached , split to go around June and the two people, and one of the wolves approached June but did nothing and continued on, ignoring the cameraman and soundman.

Wolves have come by several times when I or someone was walking with bears or resting near a bear with nothing happening. However, a mother bear who had her cubs up a white pine at dusk when she was approached by a wolf decided that she would rather not spend the night there. She had the cubs come down and follow her a mile to a different white pine for the night.

I personally do not consider wolves dangerous enough to worry about. I like the look on the face of this wolf tonight.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #26164 on: January 21, 2023, 05:37:56 AM »

hi you guys its 25 here cloudy dr rogers wolf is a beauty we got some around here happy dr rogers letting people like black bears they are pretty okay nice he fed it. i got up last night and looked out my bathroom window saw a skunk eating the dog food beautiful too very clean looking then i got again saw possums and then up this morning my raccoonies and maybe  maybe! i got dressed let dogs out and back in and out side got maybe in the barn. oh 31 and snowing in iceland 40 and rain snow showers in kyiv 51 in the barn

game day for the chiefs and jaquars go chiefs! jim said he read if we play the bills not using patrick and kelce for 4th quarter and jim was mad said bull to that not giving to give them the game but it was just a rumor im sure of that. that man won getting another chance at life not a football game.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B5055D512811?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #26165 on: January 21, 2023, 05:44:26 AM »

horse donkey and mule on cam mule sure needs to be comb out but it is a mule and they dont like that too much. horses do though.

calihoula

« Reply #26166 on: January 21, 2023, 06:32:49 AM »

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #26167 on: January 21, 2023, 06:16:27 PM »

Dolphin & Ball ... 35:16    50°  (4:48 pm)   Clear and sunny, and a bit windy.  All this week, hard freeze, cover plants.

Hi everyone, I hope all is well with you.

Cal ... isn't that Wolf beautiful?  (I'd love to see that as an oil painting)   

Hi Joho
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26168 on: January 22, 2023, 05:27:06 AM »

hi you guys its 31 got some snow overnight 29 light snow in iceland 36 cloudy in kyiv and 51 in the barn sweets he jumps up on his bars in the corner where it meets indy his hoofs has hit my fingers when i use it to pull myself along and it hurts he has almost hit indy in the nose with them yesterday indy blew up he backed up in his area and charged sweets he charged that back door of sweets sweets responded by ramming his back door indy charge again throwing his head i had to yell at both of them.

hi neva yes a painting of that wolf would be so pretty.

hard game to watch yesterday patrick getting hurt was scary but happy he came back in and we won it.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/89055D4B829E?z=0

johoward

« Reply #26169 on: January 22, 2023, 09:27:51 AM »

7:17  Hi EV1  Winter coming today again with heavy snow and low 30 s. not here yet though.  I will try to walk some this morning.  I will take my cane and dress warmly. Quilted Carharts , Muck boots, and 3M Thinsulate gloves ( which don't really work well), but I will try them one more time before going back to Ollie's.
 KC Chiefs are the best!  They have the talent and the drive to succeed of a champion.  Eagles are good too.  They may play each other soon.  I am for Chiefs.
Second coffee getting cold. So I will say thanks for being here.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #26170 on: January 22, 2023, 10:21:09 AM »

hi joho be careful on your walk my sidewalk to barn very slick good i had my walker chiefs are the best we love chiefs kingdom love all our players. hope no harm comes to patrick or anyone. i had to go in an out yesterday but ra she loves the chiefs too esp kelce  :) she filled me in hard to watch without patrick so happy he was able to come back know he was. so today me and ra say go bengals! tickets went on sale for atlanta game in case 50000 already sold ticket season holders first monday the rest highest seat a suite for 54000.00 crazy cheapest 250.00 and got to get there and back.

johoward

« Reply #26171 on: January 22, 2023, 10:35:31 AM »

Yes, GO BENGALS! at 3pm, Thanks you guys.
 Also GO COWBOYS! too at 6:30PM!  Debbie dislikes the Cowboys for some reason, but I like them.  She loves the NFL football games.  Always has.
This is likely to be a good Marco's Pizza day.  It is very nice and white out right now.
CUL EV1  GBU and GB Ukraine.  Come on Germany get off dead center.

calihoula

« Reply #26172 on: January 22, 2023, 04:01:06 PM »

finally in my room watching the game bengals ahead and its snowing yes bengals win back to arrowhead! go bengals!  :)

neva

« Reply #26173 on: January 22, 2023, 05:03:12 PM »

Missing Ball ...  23:03   62°  (3:50 pm)   Gauzy thin clouds and Sunny ... and a mild breeze. 

Hi Cal    It looks like your two have real tempers.  Be careful.  Does Maybe know enough to stay away from them?

Hi Joho stay warm on your walks.

I hope Both of your teams win, you and Cal.
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #26174 on: January 22, 2023, 10:06:25 PM »

They did both win Neva, but next week they cannot, because they play each other in Arrowhead.
Nice calm snowfall here all day.  Plows have come out finally to clear roads and drives.  Tomorrow should be pretty nice I think. If it is I will walk again.
Good night now EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.