Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 622021 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23790 on: August 26, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »

I did a penguin puzzle in about 6+.  Then typed a reply for about 10 minutes.  Then it just went away.  LOL mostly stayed in today to keep cool.  Lots, 2 loads, of laundry.  Does anyone like doing laundry?
Trying to use this slow laptop.  Now I am getting tired and will soon hit the sack.  So gn and gb

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23791 on: August 27, 2021, 05:51:44 AM »

hi you guys its almost 80 here now maybe be a tiny cooler by sunday

hi joho no i do not like to do laundry jim loves to start his tie up washer and dryer then leaves it since he works part time and i have so much to do he does his i do mine i have taken his out do mine put his right back where it was. yesterday morning he ran into the garage door again he parks outside keep our 4 wheelers on that side of garage my car on other i bring in groceries all the time. keep 3 cats out there i have a fan set up in from the dryer vent and its cold in the laundry room drags that cold out into the garage. so it was terrible he had both doors open all day long i put the cats in the laundry room locked that door and i had to walk all the way around to get to the barn. chiefs on tonight 7 pm viking and playing here at arrowhead.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A1055D51E407?z=0

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23792 on: August 27, 2021, 09:55:10 AM »

11;40  got a late start.  slept til after 9. just done with puzzle.  laptop soooooo slow.   takes 2 or 3 tries to get pieces to move. I am here though.  If not too hot I will go to the fair again for lunch and dinner.  79 right now and sunny.  Feels like I need a nap already.  Unbelievable.  Well cant fight nature so cul.  gb

calihoula

« Reply #23793 on: August 27, 2021, 04:29:18 PM »

hi joho hot hot hot here you sure do like fair food what do you eat at the fair? i heard on pearls radio station the farm fair coming to a town by it. also heard counties % of covid vaccines mine is the lowest only 31 % i go early do online but when i go in harps go when they open at 7 am everyone who works there has a mask on feed store same get home. waiting for j j booster i need to get my flu shot one of those soldiers killed was from mo  :( 
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23794 on: August 27, 2021, 06:52:20 PM »

hi ev1
I never made it to the fair yesterday or today.  Too hot anyway.
 I like Italian Sausage sandwich and pork loin sandwich and peanuts, and many other things LOL.
 I like the draft horses and goats best, but I really like all the animals.  The miniature horses are wonderful creatures. I like the auctions and the free music.  Sometimes I do bet on the trotters.  I like to watch the pony and draft horse shows.  Also the horse and pony pulls.  I always get my blood pressure taken as I go through the 4H barns.   Did not do that yet.  Maybe tomorrow.  We will see, and I will let you know how it is.
I really just like being at the fair.
We will see.  By for now.  GB

calihoula

« Reply #23795 on: August 27, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »

hi joho all the stuff you like to see at the fair i did too use to go to the american royal every year since a kid mom took us horse show walk by all the stalls love the smell there loved the draft horses the dancing horses chiefs on here comes patrick kc closed down main streets have american royal parade one year mom when she was young rode in it with her horse she held the american flag pretty cool. travis first down patrick threw it around vikings to him. i have been trying to find this picture mom had touch down chiefs! cheetah got it so this picture im like five my cowboy boots hat mom behind me leaning over her face next to mine and her best friend juanita standing by her. going to watch the game cul gb
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23796 on: August 28, 2021, 05:44:23 AM »

hi you guys its 76 here got to pick up groceries

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B5055D512811?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23797 on: August 28, 2021, 08:37:01 AM »

5:49  Still sweltering here, but I think I will go to the fair anyway.  CUL GB

calihoula

« Reply #23798 on: August 28, 2021, 12:34:43 PM »

hi joho sweltering here too awful same tomorrow monday come on oct fair again it would depress me to see animals there in that heat. you be careful in it. got my groceries subsitutes were great! chiefs game was also great last night patrick played at first he was outstanding arrowhead was packed! like it was a playoff game players all pumped out by fans looks much different than last year! roaring crowd ready for some chiefs! two weeks be seeing browns here for real! :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 12:38:52 PM by calihoula »

johoward

« Reply #23799 on: August 28, 2021, 09:40:52 PM »

hi ev1,
just got home from hot fair.  too hot. will go tomorrow too.  i love the last day.  get to see all the animals finally go home.  mostly go home. talked to one girl with a brown swiss steer.  he goes home, but sadly for her he will not stay there long.  he is sold. was listening to country singers. some older ladies and an older couple and one little girl were dancing in spite of the heat.  i was toe tapping along and enjoying the music.  then they started playing "IT IS A RIVER", so so sad.  I welled up and could not quit crying.  I had to leave there.  I went to another music thing which was karAOKE and so funny it made me feel better.
On the walk out to the car a mom and a little3 yr old girl got in step with me.  I heard the girl ask to be carried.  So I asked her if she wanted to ride in my wheelator.  She did, and  mom was glad for the help.  So she climbed into the seat and I wheeled her all the way to her hay wagon watchamacallit.  She had been waiting all day to ride the wagon again.  So they were both very happy. 
So  was I.  Felt good to help someone. Now though I have to get this sweat off me. GN GB

calhound

« Reply #23800 on: August 29, 2021, 05:53:04 AM »

hi you guys its 73 here i was watching the weather channel about hurricane ida pretty bad one coming said not had a cat 4 since 1850 wow a monster showed highway tons of people leaving and a car had its dog a big black one sticking its head out the window i surely hope everyone who left took their pets and if you have horses cows goats you best have a trailer to haul them with you just better..i have never wanted to live on any coastline.

hi joho! that is sad that steer got sold it is very sad what happens to happens to them well there goes griz

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/37055D507F85?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23801 on: August 29, 2021, 08:13:10 AM »

6  46 yes sad.  several 4h girls were sad walking thier friend for the last time.  they get really attached. coffee and cereal still calling cul gb

calhound

« Reply #23802 on: August 30, 2021, 05:37:10 AM »

Rain, Fire, Smoke, Food, Bears, Color, and a Concern - UPDATE August 29, 2021
Early color on a red maple
Early color on a red maple

With an inch of rain falling overnight and the wind shifting away from the fires, the smell of smoke disappeared and our eyes have stopped burning. We are now waiting to see if the bears stop coughing and sneezing and having runny noses like we have never seen. The smoke will likely return when the winds again become easterly. In this longest drought I can recall, rainfall during May 16 to August 26 totaled 4.2 inches and--only 28% of the expected 15.0 inches.

I suspect that the drought is why red maple leaves are turning color a couple weeks earlier than usual.

The extreme lack of wild bear foods (hazelnuts and berries) that accompanied the drought and late frosts of this year remind me of what I documented in other years of food shortage—high mortality among cubs and yearlings due to starvation, and high mortality among older bear bears as they were shot going house-to-house for garbage and bird seed. As part of that in 1985, they moved unusual distances. Three radio-collared bears that had spent their lives in wilderness habitat near the Canadian Border moved 90 to 107 kilometers south to Duluth. Several other study bears were also among the 90 shot in and near Duluth. The same southward movement happened in Canada where 70 bears were shot in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Along the way, an unknown number were shot at residences that held the only foods available for miles around.

By the September 1 opening of that 1985 bear season, it is likely that as many bears were shot in summer as normally would be killed in hunting season. That was a major blow to an effort by the DNR to help Minnesota’s black bear population recover from decades of management aimed at killing these supposedly dangerous varmints. Bounties had been offered to kill Minnesota black bears longer (through 1965) than did any other state. When I began my Minnesota bear study in 1969, black bears were still considered dangerous varmints to be poisoned, trapped, or shot in any number at any time over most of the state. Even in a small protected part of the state, bears were surreptitiously being killed in one way or another; people will not coexist with animals they feared.

That situation in 1969 led me to begin a public education campaign and to work for change with like-minded DNR officials, legislators, and hunting leaders. Together, we passed legislation in 1971 giving Minnesota’s bears the protection and respect of a big game animal. To increase the population, the DNR then asked me to write new bear management regulations for the state. The regulations reduced bear hunting from 52 weeks to six, protected bears when cubs were dependent on mothers’ milk, and greatly reduced wounding loss. Our goal was to restore Minnesota’s decimated bear population.

After the brutal decimation of bear population in 1985 due to being shot at houses looking for food, things took a further turn for the worst. A DNR study documented that starving bears were so attracted to hunters’ baits that hunter success was three times higher than usual. And the losses did not end there. Malnourished mothers lost their pregnancies, and the few that did produce cubs in the January birthing season lost them in unusual numbers due to insufficient production of milk. Beyond that, some mothers were not able to regain their nutrient stores and failed to produce viable cubs the next year as well.

The current problems of food failure that we are seeing in Minnesota also extends up into Canada. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources officials are reporting the same lack of food and problems of bears seeking garbage and bird seed. The only areas I know of where this is not happening is where residents are keeping bears out of trouble with diversionary food.

Similar to 1985, Minnesota has been trying in recent years to boost the state’s black bear population after it was cut nearly in half a few years ago. Data from the past indicate the population is about to take a major blow. I don’t know what can be done. Fall hunting seasons are planned in the spring. Following this summer of food failure, famished bears will once again be drawn to hunters’ baits in unusual numbers. Can the September 1 bear hunting season be curtailed if the kill begins to exceed the usual numbers like it did in 1985?

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23803 on: August 30, 2021, 05:46:35 AM »

hi you guys its 71 here 6 raccoonies pearl sweets mice birds seeing lots of crickets to me that means fall not far away i was watching scout and his group up in the sky earlier they were roosting on the old school house there goes griz i think brownie had her face where it should not of been out in her yard the other day bees or yellow jackets i never mow close to the fence let that all be tall when i am calling cali back in she likes to go in there hide but of course jim mowed and he gets right next to the fence i think brownie was able to stir up a hornet hole. i should plug in the electric fence before he mows again i need a new mower then be back to mowing maybe murray will run for me again. i did not read all the update just cant all i can do is what i did spend money up there to help feed starving bears.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C5055D54F878?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23804 on: August 30, 2021, 05:49:01 AM »