Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 629541 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23775 on: August 21, 2021, 12:33:34 PM »

hi joho you got a good nap that would make me more tired. nice you babysitting your granddog it is nice of the clan. yes if debbie wants to go to joans clan take her. i get the guilty jealous times im mad at god only human. have a good day cul gb :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23776 on: August 22, 2021, 05:51:42 AM »

Drought, Fire, and Bears - UPDATE August 21, 2021
34 year old shadow on July 1, 2021
34 year old shadow on July 1, 2021

From April 16 through the end of July, Ely records show only 3.49 inches of rain rather than the usual 12. Precipitation has been only 29% of usual. The drought has continued into August, but I have not seen the monthly record yet.

The sun rises red and sets red. Smoke is in the air. The two main roads from Ely to the north shore of Lake Superior are closed because of fires. And today, the U. S. Forest Service announced something that I think is a first. It closed the entire Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness for at least a week.

I remember what happened to the bears in a similar drought in 1985. Most cubs and yearlings died from starvation in forests that offered shriveled berries or none at all. As starving bears sought food near people’s residences, nuisance complaints became the highest in DNR records—a record that still stands. Many were killed. Each night that summer, I went to sleep hearing gunfire.

Bears were ranging farther in search of food than I’d ever seen. Three radio-collared bears that had peacefully spent their lives in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness near the Canadian Border were killed on the outskirts of Duluth. The drought and lack of food extended far up into Canada. We not only had our resident bears, we undoubtedly had far-ranging bears from Canada. I had never seen so many bears.

Then came hunting season in September. By that time, more bears had already been killed that are typically killed during the hunting season. We worried desperately hungry bears would go to hunters’ baits in unusual numbers. They did. Hunter success was three times higher than the average, and the devastated bear population had another blow coming. Famished mothers-to-be were unable to maintain pregnancies, and few cubs were born that winter.

With problems rampant throughout the region, three areas remained nearly trouble free. One was a 10-mile radius around the huge Grand Marais garbage dump where DNR Wildlife Manager Bill Peterson told me he had only one complaint—a bear sleeping in someone’s yard. No house break-ins. No fearful residents complaining about the number of bear sightings, etc. The second trouble-free area was my study area where I was conducting a highly successful diversionary feeding experiment. The third trouble-free area was Eagles Nest Township where people had long fed bears. A newspaper article about that area began by saying: “There have been a lot of problems with bears in and around Ely this year, tipping over garbage cans and getting into gardens, but south of town, on Armstrong Lake the bears just aren't interested in causing problems. The main reason is that the bears are being served at an outdoor restaurant, owned and operated by Ed Orazem.”

Diversionary feeding in the Eagles Nest area worked and has consequently continued to this day. We have been studying the situation since the mid-1990’s. These last two years of drought have been an amazing test. The traditional feeding and the resulting minimization of problems has made many residents grateful to those whose feeding is keeping some of the oldest bears in Minnesota alive and out of trouble.

Elsewhere in the region, bears are being seen in areas where they usually are not. I got an interesting question along that line that I’ll answer in the next update.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23777 on: August 22, 2021, 05:56:38 AM »

hi you guys its 64 here full moon very nice but weatherlady says hot and humid later today and rest of week when i got up at 11 pm looked out my bathroom window seeing who was eating the food i put out it was a little possum all by itself not the raccoonie crowd there it got a big drink at 3 am i looked it was sleeping right there by the bowl when i went out to the barn at 4:15 heard a hooty owl and pack of foxes and some coyotees no raccoonies in the barn hope they are okay. i am going to send dr rogers some money tomorrow to help the hungry bears try to keep them from those feeding stations so they will not get shot i would never have anything to do with a person that did that never.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/1D055D5592A2?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #23778 on: August 22, 2021, 03:28:07 PM »

joho are you okay? did babysitting boss wear you out?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23779 on: August 22, 2021, 05:51:57 PM »

hiev1,
  I am fine just got around to do puzzle.  5:30.
Boss was great.  He is so easy to get along with.  He does everything you ask him to do.  Debbie has trained him very well.  I told her how proud I am of her training. 
I am excited.  Tomorrow Boss and Debbie are coming over in the evening.  Then at about 8 or 9 pm my niece Susie, her daughter, and her two dogs are coming to rest overnight on their car trip to California to see my other niece Kelly.  I am excited to see them all.
Also the county fair is starting today with a free day.  I usually go out the day before opening day, but I think I will wait until senior day on Thursday.  Maybe not though. I might go out tomorrow morning. We will see. Who knows I may still go out tonight, and every day this week too. LOL I like the fair.
So Now some kind of dinner.  Maybe an old fashioned apple dumpling from the fair.  Could happen.
CUL EV1 GB

calhound

« Reply #23780 on: August 23, 2021, 05:48:58 AM »

Drought, Famine, and What If You See a Hungry Bear? - UPDATE August 22, 2021
Dried up snails
Dried up snails

Today, a couple old-timers were saying they had never seen such drought or heard of so many fires. Same for me. They had not heard of the two main highways between Ely and Lake Superior (Highways 1 and 2) being closed due to fire.Spreading Dogbane in early color
Spreading Dogbane
in early color

I never before saw a nice pond near here drying up to the point that its floating lily pads were lying on the exposed bottom surrounded by the dried and empty shells of snails. I don’t know if the early yellow color in Spreading Dogbane (Apocynum androsaemifolium) leaves is due to the drought, but it is a surprise.

Dried Pond
Dried pond
People say they have never seen so many bears, which is the opposite of what they say when hazelnuts and berries are abundant, and people are wondering where all the bears went. With hungry bears on the move, people are seeing bears in places they normally do not and asking what to do if they see one.

Here’s an example:

“Hi! We live in the woods in Ely and for the first time, a black bear came through the woods next to the swimming hole while we were swimming/playing in the 4-foot-deep water. What is best for the people--to stay in the lake or get out and either get into our truck that is nearby or walk to our house which is quite a ways away? I was not sure if the bear would come in the water. We had 2 dogs swimming so I got into our truck with them (thankfully they had not noticed the bear) and put them in their crates. Since it was hot, and I didn't want to overheat the dogs we stayed in the truck and ran the air conditioner. I did not want the dogs barking at the bear. What should I do if the truck isn't available or if we are hiking and we see a bear while we have the dogs? Thank you!“
What should a person do it they see a black bear? It’s hard to make any recommendation because anything I might recommend could wrongly come across as ‘Do this or you will be killed.’ In reality, it doesn’t make much difference what a person does because people have done everything all over the board, and attacks are rare no matter what they do, whether the bear is big or small or with or without cubs.

The main advice I’ve heard is ‘whatever you do, don’t run because it might trigger a predatory response.’ But there is no data pattern to support that. What I often hear in actuality is: ‘I saw a bear. I ran one way. The bear ran the other.’ I’ve asked many authors and lecturers for an example of running triggering a predatory response and have yet to get an example. (I’ll write about that in my book). Other advice I've heard is to play dead, be aggressive, speak gently, back away slowly, use pepper spray, not show fear, etc. People have done all of that with attacks being few and far between.

In the community where I am studying bears, hikers see bears, especially in the past two years of drought and scarce food. Most ignore the bears. I know of no attacks. People who fear bears tell terrifying stories like one I heard a few days ago. A boy was walking down a gravel road that is hiked by many residents. The boy was new to the area. He reported how terrifying it was to see a mother with four cubs coming straight for him. The person who told me trailed off at that point, suggesting that nothing happened, but added that the boy has not walked that road again.

Stories like that remind me of the veil of fear that colored my early experiences with bears. I have never been attacked and now interpret the same experiences as benign.

I do recommend carrying a can of Halt pepper spray to feel more confident and comfortable during the process of working through one’s fear. In all probability, they would never need to use the spray.

More on this to follow.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23781 on: August 23, 2021, 06:00:34 AM »

hi you guys its 75 here feel humidity too full moon which i like 9 raccoonies today will be 98 feel like 105 feel hot and humid  :( if i was in a pond and a bear came i would get out of it give it to the bear go home use my water in my home poor bears poor wildlife period i saw on the news hoover dam lake mead at it lowest ever said long drought they say mother nature to blame i think maybe god says clean up your act down there and in more ways than one.

hi  joho hope you have a fun time with your family and the fair. my dogs know alot of words but stop acting like a idiot is not one of them. its bad cause penny and brownie are so big ..now they act like griz when i leave a room  :( tomorrow i will try to be walmart at 6 am old folks day and go in get my flu shot. i need my second pneumonia shot then i think ra said it is like 5 years before i need another one will have ask flu shot man. well there goes griz not penny or brownie yet be safe at the fair joho well there goes brownie penny is back in my bedroom extra cool in there she gets the bed all to herself

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/59055D4C699F?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23782 on: August 24, 2021, 05:14:09 AM »

calihoula

« Reply #23783 on: August 24, 2021, 06:10:24 PM »

i saw ms scarlet in 5:50

calhound

« Reply #23784 on: August 25, 2021, 05:26:03 AM »

hi you guys its 77 here humid ac running now in house and the barn one more day of this got till 9 pm tomorrow night then a little break but a break.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/18055D537155?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23785 on: August 25, 2021, 11:30:08 AM »

7:39 on rice paper butterfly.  Can't get tp others til later.  On HP Compaq  soooooo slow.  Other daesk top is at doctor, and I am off to the store and then the fair.  CUL GB

calihoula

« Reply #23786 on: August 25, 2021, 02:39:00 PM »

hi joho i saw black clouds coming from the north heavy rain tons of lightning hail all black out tv out but i recorded programs so playing beach hunters now. jim just mowed the dogs yard for me yesterday  :( i need a new riding mower get one next spring jim used one of his mowers his rider only they will fit thru the dogs gate post set in cement not moving held lots of big dogs thru the years still does penny brownie when jim lets them out and i come out of the barn trying to be with me wow big crack there! have fun today  :)

johoward

« Reply #23787 on: August 25, 2021, 09:24:26 PM »

11.13 on pumpkins.  WOW.
Tired from long day and lots of walking at the fair.  Early bed tonight.

GN GB

calhound

« Reply #23788 on: August 26, 2021, 05:40:01 AM »

Drought, Fire, Bears, and a Good Day - UPDATE August 25, 2021
Loon on blue water
Loon on blue water

With the forest fire smoke of yesterday blowing in a different direction, today is a blue-sky day that is ideal for seeing wildlife on blue water, exploring bear dens, and experiencing bears with like-minded people.

In this year of scarce natural food, hungry bears are being seen in greater numbers than many can remember ever seeing before. The same is true on the other side of the border in northwestern Ontario. There, Ministry of Natural Resources officials are reporting 950 bear problems, which is nearly triple last year’s number. Around the town of Thunder Bay, police have reported 75 bear calls through August 22 compared with only 17 calls for that period last year and 5 the year before that.

Ministry of Natural Resources spokesperson Jolanta Kowalski attributes the many bear calls to the lack of wild food that has resulted from a late frost and a prolonged drought. The drought has also created one of the worst forest fire seasons on record for this area. Kowalski stated that the fires have displaced bears from their usual territories and may be further causing the unusually frequent human/bear interactions.

In our local community here in Minnesota, we have the same situation with few bear problems, and community residents are expressing appreciation to residents who are keeping bears out of trouble with supplemental food in this year of extremely scarce wild nuts and berries.

calhound

« Reply #23789 on: August 26, 2021, 06:09:58 AM »

hi you guys its 75 here we are to have more 108 days till now sunday. hope fall comes early this year but after that rain yesterday sun back up heated back up but the barn ac worked extra cool it was 75 in there nice and cool too so the rain helped that. 

hi joho i bet you are tired jim got his first implant yesterday got the spike in he said new dr very nice he took a pain pill last night and this morning said he slept great feels better today too. he will love having a new tooth i sure love mine.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BF055D519ACF?z=0