Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 633730 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23760 on: August 17, 2021, 05:59:10 AM »

When Will the Bears Den? - UPDATE August 16, 2021
Mystery Mom w/2 cubs
Mystery mom w/2 cubs

A question today was:

"We have been having a discussion wondering if the really hungry bears will den earlier so they are not expending calories looking for non-existent food or if they will wait longer to den so they can try to find more food and hopefully put on more weight. Hoping you can shed light on that."

With myself waiting to see what the bears will do in this second year of drought and scarce berries, I gave some general information on it, saying:

As the research continues, questions get harder to answer. It was easy in the beginning with sample sizes of one. Now, bell-shaped curves make it harder—some will do it one way and some another. Plus, data varies across the continent. Bears in the different regions have evolved to fit the regional norms of plant growth and fruiting, but late frosts and summer droughts make big differences in berry crops—especially in our study area where the Laurentian Divide that has shallow, sandy soil over bedrock lets water evaporate more readily during droughts. But, in general, bears around here den about the same time each year whether food is abundant or not, and that includes supplemental food. Providing bears with food around here has long failed to keep them up longer into fall. Thousands of years with no fall food has created a fairly strict internal schedule.

On the other hand, in the eastern deciduous forest with thousands of years of variable fall crops of acorns, beechnuts, hickory nuts, and other foods have led to great variability in the hibernation schedule. For example, some bears there remain active all winter if a good beechnut crop is available under the snow. People that provide supplemental food there see bears all winter.

Local exceptions here in the Ely area are described in publication number 55 under published papers on bearstudy.org: Rogers, L. L. 1987. Effects of food supply and kinship on social behavior, movements, and population dynamics of black bears in northeastern Minnesota. Wildlife Monograph No. 97, in the section "Prehibernation Activities" (pages 37-38). There is also related information in the section "Foraging Period" "Late Summer and Fall Travels" (pages 31-34).

I'm looking forward to seeing what we will learn here this fall if hunters don't kill too many of the study bears in September.

On another subject. Lucy was accompanied by both her cubs today, including independent Desi. It was also nice to see the mystery mom with her two cubs, but the picture still doesn’t include her faint chest blaze that is shaped like a W that we want to have on record. Still trying.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23761 on: August 17, 2021, 06:04:32 AM »

hi you guys its 65 here miss the moon but lots of stars out. 6 raccoonies

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/40055D4E7278?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23762 on: August 17, 2021, 08:54:29 AM »

Hi ev1.  Late start today. 6:28  71 and cloudy.  No plans, but will get some breakfast now.  So cul gb

johoward

« Reply #23763 on: August 18, 2021, 06:05:11 AM »

Hi ev1. 7am 69degrees partly cloudy
I am here but sore and not really awake.  Gonna power through.  Do some rehab moves and get some breakfast with coffee.
Cal is late.  This is worrisom to me, but praying things are ok there. Did check to see our guy Ted sleeping like a baby.
CUL GB

calhound

« Reply #23764 on: August 18, 2021, 06:23:19 AM »

hi you guys its 71 here 10 raccoonies in the barn

hi joho i am late pearl wanted some attention and she got it she had been pooping a whole lot more which is good no colic for pearl and colic is deadly  :( lightbulb burned out in her area yesterday and i had to drag that big huge ladder all the way back and go up and change it coming down i hit something it was pearls butt she had backed up to the ladder so i would not miss it and scratch it yesterday neighbors 21 year old son lives behind us shooting off his gun over and over get a job go back to school do something anyway i was on my scooter in the kitchen and penny got scared hearing that loud gunfire and rammed my scooter i went flying off banged my head hard against the kitchen cabinet sister was at the table came running over i have a huge knot on my head now.  also ac not working well in the barn jim thinks its the compressor we have a new big furnace for it in the garage and going to buy a new 4 tons ac unit for it instead of that 2 and half ton but now its hot they are in the barn cant leave them in a hot barn justin will help changed it out but hoping this one will limp along for a few more weeks. i tell you..

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/35055D507429?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23765 on: August 18, 2021, 07:27:59 AM »

6:49 second coffee waiting. sounds like a lot going on for Cal today. Good sister was helping. CUL GB

calhound

« Reply #23766 on: August 18, 2021, 11:13:39 AM »

hi joho working on susies stuff ac in the barn still holding out i have it set on 74 going to go back out and raise it to 77 it will get up there anyway so maybe save on it big new one will be really nice when it is cooler out i sent you an email

calhound

« Reply #23767 on: August 19, 2021, 05:51:51 AM »

hi you guys its 72 here today will be 97 very humid too  >:( 8 raccoonies got to get more dry dog food feeding lots of raccoonies and dogs 

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BA055D56ABFF?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23768 on: August 19, 2021, 10:11:42 AM »

Hi Ev1,
5:55 on snow hikers.  Got your nice email friend Cal.  Nice here today.  77 and sunny.  Rode my bike a little last night, and was surprised my knee did not hurt.  I will try it again this afternoon.
  First housekeeping though.  Been a while since I vacuumed.  Quite a bit of dust and crumbs everywhere. 
So will cul GB

calhound

« Reply #23769 on: August 19, 2021, 12:22:02 PM »

hi joho been doing errands hate to do errands but got them done early this morning i took out my big light and a brush with a handle soft bristles on it looked up in the coils on pearls ac it was covered in styrofoam junk  from the mice chewing on it on the walls under insulation and dirt i mean thick so i took that brush and very lightly swept it off man it came down like crazy on my face in my ears jim had left my screen over that hole open and when it is sucking air drags in all that junk.  :( so i got all that off underneath on the fins still muddy like but i did not touch that cause them fins are touchy as can be have to haul that out take it outside use the hose and its 97 today already very hot humid so then i put that screen back up put my bricks up to hold it there did all my stuff got home went out there and how nice and cool it is out there!!! :) i figured it has to better than it was and boy is it. good you rode your bike wish i could ride again not my bike a horse not pearl need to do some exercise that would strengthing my hip something where i can lift my legs up and down when i walk you know what i mean. i shuffle and bad balance too.. i use to love to ride my bike my sister susies loved it too also ride her horse rose 3 of schwinn bikes burnt up in that fire i been working on my contents list. my sister uses a broom and sweeps the livingroom and kitchen every morning when she is here part of her chores when she is here she stays for 2 weeks at a time she also does mom cats and other cats downstairs. she will go home sunday she does not want too but she needs too pay her rent go get her insurance card etc. and i need my house back for awhile. there goes griz and other dogs have joined in better go you did good on the puzzle. cul my friends gb

calhound

« Reply #23770 on: August 20, 2021, 05:48:39 AM »

hi you guys its 72 here another hot today but rain later so hoping that will cool things off but it will also mean having to mow again not into mowing right now chiefs second preseason game on tonight at 7pm coach reid said starters will play the whole first half he said to new guys go out and play your best will be on tape and if you dont make it here you may somewhere else.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BB055D5017F6?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23771 on: August 20, 2021, 08:41:05 AM »

Hi EV1,
7+ a little.  Accidently deleted it. 69 degrees and partly sunny here. Nice
 That hedgehog is cute, but not very cuddly with all those spikes. 
Got up at 7am, and darned if I am not already tired and ready for a nap.
CUL GB

calhound

« Reply #23772 on: August 20, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »

hi joho working on susies stuff again laughing you are already tired  :) you got up at 7 am and it was 8:41 am did you take that nap? that hedgehog is cute

calhound

« Reply #23773 on: August 21, 2021, 05:38:26 AM »

hi you guys its 70 here big storm last night took out the tv i went to sleep at 8 pm watching the chiefs woke up at 10 came in the living room heard rain it was hot in the house front door was wide open tons of rain on the floor the door knob would shut right need a new one so i put on the dead bolt to keep the door shut cleaned up that water. saw chiefs did win barn did not flood so that is good.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/57055D5A4A84?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23774 on: August 21, 2021, 09:32:03 AM »

6:13 rough trail that bike is on.  I like asphalt for my riding.  Yes I did nap til almost noon.  LOL
72 here nice again.  Good day for outdoor stuff.  Gonna go babysit Boss later.  Debbie is going to a birthday party for a two year old cousin of her ex.  It is a clan thing.  They are all Scottish. His family, three girls and a boy, her ex, all grew up without parents who were taken early on.  I think in a car wreck.  Not sure.  Deb makes sure her three kids keep close with their cousins by taking them to all the holidays and other clan gatherings.  It is a good thing. 
Joan's Polish clan is planning a reunion for this Fall. Debbie, Joan, and I went to a reunion in the past and enjoyed it.  I am not sure I will attend.  I still feel odd going places without Joan.  It just does not feel right.  I feel guilty and jealous too that they are here and she is not.  I will ask Debbie, and if she wants to go I will take her.
Well I have got a few things to do before going to see Boss.  So I will say CUL EV1 and GB