Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 629048 times)

ruesgram

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23610 on: July 04, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »

Happy Fourth of July! Looks like it's going to be a nice day here. Robin is coming to float in the pool. I figure we'll have hamburgers and hot dogs. I hate to cook on the grill so I'll do all the cooking in the kitchen. Watermelon and pineapple are on the menu, too. Crow is still hobbling around on his cracked open feet. Refuses to go to the doctor, so I have no sympathy for him. My sister and Sandy came over yesterday and got in the pool. My sis has her arm in a sling because that's the only way her neck and shoulder doesn't hurt. Sandy is wearing a back brace because she hurt her back. Something about a slipped disk. Her doctor (which is also one of her bosses) suggested therapy but Sandy said she couldn't afford it. So he suggested walking around in a pool. Just so happens we have one of those so she is going to come over everyday and walk around in our pool! That therapy she can afford! Lol! Other than all that not much happening around here. Those darn neighborhood  fireworks started a week ago and are driving me crazy! Last night it sounded like a war zone. Tonight I'm sure will be worse. Poor Molly would be hiding in the basement if she was still with us. Here it is almost 10:30 and I still have on my pajamas! Got to get this day started. Hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday!

calihoula

« Reply #23611 on: July 04, 2021, 09:33:25 AM »

hi rues! so happy to hear from you! :) poor crow i feel bad for him. my ankle swollen from turning it days ago sick of this foot still gets huge too yesterday i crammed my foot in my shoe try to keep the swelling down no shoe gets huge i thought about the er but heck no dont want that. ordered an ankle brace going to pick up walmart groceries soon. good therapy a pool! yes free! i got watermelon to eat later your poor sister why cant we all have body of 22 years old so far no fireworks yet i live rural but always got that one neighbor acres away my dogs hear that no going out or raining griz will go he is hard of hearing. if he is barking and you dont hurry pee on the kitchen floor that is okay he is very old and i tell him if i dont hurry i be peeing on the kitchen floor too. have a fun day hi robin!
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23612 on: July 04, 2021, 10:34:33 AM »

hi joho! just saw your post yay you are heading for ely! dont forget to go see dr rogers too! what fun and you can walk! you will have so much fun and wow ny ny city ? townsquare and all? you are becoming the traveler!  :) happy fourth to you i will watch fireworks on tv after royals ballgame for one. gb
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23613 on: July 04, 2021, 02:02:36 PM »

Hi ya'll,
Just finished lunch. Washed and froze 5 lbs of berries.  $2.85 a pound. Not bad.  Others charge $4 a pound.  Still, a pound is a lot of berries.
It was too hot.  I had on warm clothes, and should have worn shorts. Well I did it for the first time.  I will do it again when I run out.  It was a long walk from thye car to the berries.  Seeing about a few watermelon comments I suddenly remember I have a quarter melon in the fridge.  LOL GTG GB

calihoula

« Reply #23614 on: July 04, 2021, 03:10:37 PM »

hi joho you can take some berries out of your freezer when you go see the bears! if they were blackberries you could make a pie for say me! :) taking a short break royals playing twins  twins ahead 2-0 6th inning jim and justin in hayfield doing hay jim riding the tractor pulling baler justin driving his truck picking it putting it on his truck he is younger and strong he will get the money for it too.  :) fast ball slider strike to you twin miss jp  :(

calihoula

« Reply #23615 on: July 04, 2021, 03:16:49 PM »

back to back homers for twins

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23616 on: July 04, 2021, 04:12:24 PM »

joho the tvs babies are out and not far from that open door!! do you have their parents cell phone number?

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23617 on: July 04, 2021, 08:17:19 PM »

No I don't, but I believe Amy puts the camera in.  So she and the others at Decorah should be aware of the danger to the TV chicks.  Going to watch the DC fireworks now.  God Bless America and us

calhound

« Reply #23618 on: July 05, 2021, 05:50:20 AM »

Independence Day and Jack - UPDATE July 4, 2021
Jack
Jack

FlagHappy Independence Day! This is the day Donna and I watch the Ely Fireworks along with much of Ely. The fireworks are at the edge of town where many people can watch them from their yards. Sometimes Donna and I watch them from our second floor back deck, and sometimes we go closer. They do a big bonanza of fireworks to end it.

A big telephone call yesterday was that gentle One-eyed Jack is back for his 19th year. He is well into his twenties. I remember the first time we saw him in 2003—immediately and forever identifiable by his white left eye. I remember in 2015 when I saw him at the house of a feeder four miles away. As the pictures show, Jack was living up to his gentle reputation. A chipmunk stood up against his paw looking like it was asking permission to share his food. Somehow, the chipmunk saw it was okay and squeezed between Jack’s paw and muzzle to calmly take his share.

Jack chipmunk      Jack sharing with chipmunk
Jack sharing with a chipmunk
I haven’t seen Jack myself, yet, but I hope he comes when the course participants and I can see him tomorrow. I spent too much time buried under paperwork today to see much, but tomorrow I’ll be with the course participants and it will be all eyes open for Jack. It was a course participant, Catherine Davison, who took the picture of Jack’s face back on August 13, 2017, and she will be in a course this year on August 12. We’ll see how much white hair he has on his forehead now four years later.

Heading for the fireworks.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23619 on: July 05, 2021, 05:59:23 AM »

hi you guys its 76 and sticky. love one eye jack happy he is still with us wish all the bears would stick close to safety all the time.

hi joho i watched the fireworks in dc and somewhere else on tv watched the beach boys they still look about the same i saw them in concert in kc oh shoot like 50 years ago. my cousin janice took me. are you doing the bear course deal with dr rogers when you go or just staying in a motel and doing stuff. i will send you dr rogers address for his office cabin where he writes the updates and takes pictures. give you the directions to it. baby tvs are okay this morning. i think someone who lives in marshall mo runs the cam there i remember posting to him before at that same barn. he was on a chat deal or something. i dont think amy comes down to mo from up north to run that cam. 

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9D055D5BB8B9?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23620 on: July 05, 2021, 06:28:36 AM »

5:38  71 but going to 90 they say.
I did watch the DC show, and switched to the Macy show on the river in NY, NY.  It was very impressive too, and very patriotic.  Then I went back to DC show, and found it to be an encore.  So I went to bed.
  Going to Long Lake or Saratoga NY where Susie has  her homes.  I am more a country guy than a city guy, and it is the trip rather than the destination that interests me more.  I believe you are correct the TV controls are in the farm house on the property, and the GSB controls are local to the nest box there.  I see the GSB falcon chick is now banded.  Somehow I missed the banding.
 So we have to thank them both for panning and getting us the changing scene images.
Just got up . Eyes are still gritty.  Need to wash up a little and get some coffee going. 
So CUL  GB

calhound

« Reply #23621 on: July 06, 2021, 05:57:13 AM »

hi you guys its 68 here hot again later today i need to mows the dogs yard if i can pretty quick

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/75055D57E43A?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23622 on: July 06, 2021, 08:01:02 AM »

5:12 looks like a nice place to visit.
78 degrees haze here.
All babies waiting for breakfast, and doing morning stretches.
Bears still sleeping too.
No big plans today.  @pm rehab.  Looking forward to it.  Back is hurting a lot.  New mattress is suspect already.  $800 to get more pain is not a good deal. Not sure what to try next.
Well, phone is breaking.  So I will try to find some way to make it reliable again.  Everyone so far says buy a new phone, but this one is not old.  Others have lasted much much longer for me.
Well being a bummer this morning so I will sign off and let you all enjoy your day.
May God bless those in need today and especially those in the path of danger in Florida.
GB

calhound

« Reply #23623 on: July 07, 2021, 05:49:59 AM »

Berries and Jewel’s Old Den - UPDATE July 6, 2021
Jewels old den
Jewels old den

With the group today, we had a surprise—recent action at Jewel’s den of 2013. That’s the den where we watched her with yearlings Fern and Herbie. A bear has enlarged the den and thrown a lot of dirt out the entrance. The track in the sand looked big enough to be a male. This makes me hope for another den cam in the den of a male. It’s hard to find males in dens because we don’t put radio-collars on males. The collars would be have to be tighter than we will do. Male necks are closer to the size of their head and wouldn’t be loose enough to easily tuck its head under the chest in winter. It was this time of year in 2004 when June enlarged a den where she gave birth to her first litter (Pete and George) six months later.

Chokecherries
Chokecherries
Raspberry
Raspberry
Blueberries
Blueberries
The month of June here was a month with only a quarter (27%) of the usual rainfall—1.1 inch compared to the average 4.05 inches. It was a spring with a late frost when temperatures each night during May 5-8 were between 21 and 25°F. Checking how berries and hazelnuts are doing after finding two scats containing juneberry (a.k. a.Serviceberry) seeds, we didn’t see many berries on the bushes we found. One bush had a good number, but they were smaller than usual due to the lack of rain.

Chokecherries are coming along okay but are still green. Same for wild sarsaparilla berries.

Blueberries were doing better than we thought after the frost, but they are very small because of the low rainfall.

Hazelnuts are a moderate crop that bears are finding. One bush that a bear pulled down had a pair of husks where the bear had eaten the nuts. The bush also had a nice healthy pair that the bear had missed.

Juneberries
Juneberries
Hazelnuts
Hazelnuts
Hazelnut husks
Hazelnut husks
Raspberries are ripening, which they do throughout the summer, but these berries are hard for bears to pick efficiently because they are spaced so far apart.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23624 on: July 07, 2021, 05:55:10 AM »

hi you guys its 69 here rain on the way love the update yes be great another dem cam on a male! would not mind watching spanky again. too bad ely did not get all the rain we did and still getting some more here everything here has grown huge. first time i ever saw actual pasture at tims.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D7055D56B286?z=0