Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 603681 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23625 on: July 07, 2021, 07:05:37 AM »

4:50  Back sore again.  New mattress not the cure I hoped for.
Nice day though again.  Storms forecast for evening.
Eagles are ok but wet.  Falcon is fine growing like a weed, and no knats.
 Can't see TV chicks, but hear a thump now and then.  So normal I guess.
Nothing on Snow yet.
No big plans today so not much to share.
CUL GB

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23626 on: July 07, 2021, 10:26:26 AM »

i looked out that window for 4:38 joho getting a new mattress is not so easy mine is almost 15 years old think i will keep it too.
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23627 on: July 08, 2021, 05:59:32 AM »

Cubs, Cubs, Cubs, and More - UPDATE July 7, 2021
Mystery cub
Mystery cub

One mother after another is showing up with cubs. Lucy with two, Chloe with two, Daisy with three, Pixie with two, and a mother we have yet to identify with two. What is unusual—all nine cubs with identified mothers are males. The usual sex ratio is about 50-50. We and the group are working to identify the mothers, determine the sexes of the cubs, and record the chest blazes and other markings by which we can identify the cubs as they grow to maturity. A good group.

Mallard female
Mallard female
Mallard with brood
Mallard with brood
On this 70-degree day, we took a little pontoon ride and saw the first loons I’ve seen or heard this year—a pair with a baby and a pair alone. Mallards and common mergansers were also about. My favorite sight was this mother mallard with at least six ducklings resting on a beaver lodge.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Editor's note: We are having a technical problem with the "click to enlarge" feature. Until we get this cleared up we will make the photos click to enlarge in a new window. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23628 on: July 08, 2021, 06:02:31 AM »

hi you guys its 66 here 3 raccoonies one baby love the update happy its not me on enlarging the photos

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9C055D579951?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23629 on: July 08, 2021, 08:34:07 AM »

6:30 on pole painting.  74 rain coming here but not unpleasant.  I think I will take a roadtrip today.  Will have lunch on the road someplace.  Maybe find some Carolina peaches and some Amish cheese.
So CUL EV1  GB

calihoula

« Reply #23630 on: July 08, 2021, 03:46:23 PM »

painted the pole in 3:39 joho did you get some peaches? make a peach cobbler! yum i mowed today trying to catch that barn cat hoping it was a male it is not i put out dry cat fud on my sidewalk yesterday looked out my bathroom window at 6 pm she was eating it with her two kids kids are not real little so need to get them quick get them fixed. sure did not need this but got it. she was in the barn this morning i set my live trap saw her and kids in front of my barn i unset it earlier big storm coming dont want her kids without her want them to be in the barn too.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23631 on: July 08, 2021, 03:57:11 PM »

ca sent me a messages happy 33 anniversary for me and jim and me and jim forgot! lol say what?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23632 on: July 08, 2021, 04:01:57 PM »

Yes I did buy some peaches.  The farmer says to put them outside in the sun for a few days to ripen and soften.  We will see about that.  I will look them over carefully to see if maybe one is ripe enough right now.  They are big.  Got a loaf of homemade Amish bread for Mary.  She loves it.  She will come get it tomorrow after work. I will also give her some peaches for her and Matt.  The peaches are from S. Carolina.  They pick them early down there.  It was a nice ride to Kidron.  Lots of folks out and about.  I wore my mask everywhere.  Few others did.  Drove through a fierce storm on the way back.  Almost spilled my chocolate raisins.  Two kinds. That was my lunch, and maybe my supper too. LOL  Got a nice cold birch beer for the ride home.  Did not go really well with sweet rasins so I still have some left.  I will go get it now.  I am thirsty.  Sugar is probably high.  Nice to see TV getting along so well.  Bears are showing lots of activity today with the cooler temps.
Well Happy forgotten 33rd anniversary to you and Jim.  God Bless

calhound

« Reply #23633 on: July 09, 2021, 05:57:12 AM »

hi you guys its 70 here already sticky up to 100 today they said  :( big storms tonight  :( we need to move to NWT in the yukon yellowknife only two months of summer and not summer like here not humid temp around 71 but winter -44 windchill they have 20 hours of sun there too. home of the ice pilots buffalo joe i love that show.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D7055D503645?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23634 on: July 09, 2021, 09:10:57 AM »

5:55 on daffodils.  65 and cloudy.
 Dull Friday, but Mary will come over this evening for her bread, chocolate covered raisins, and peaches.  Gave some to new neighbor lady who brought over some tuna noodle casserole for me last night.  Very nice lady, and she has a little dog too.  I think dog is called Tilly.  Not sure though.  I am bad with names.  Lady told me twice what her name is and I still don't know.  I will have to ask again, and that is embarrassing.
 Luckily I don't have to return dish.  So it will be a while until I see her again.  I told her to take some peaches from the chair in the driveway where I was trying to ripen them in the sun.  She did.  Peaches are very nice looking and big, but hard as rocks.  I gave $10 for half a peck.  I will not get more.
Well last rehab coming up next week, and leg still does not straighten out.  So I may have to continue rehabbing.  It is up to the chief physical therapist I guess.  Back is still hurting in the morning.  Some say try mattress for a month, but I don't know if I can wait that long.
Really though I am fine.  I had a nice trip to Kidron yesterday.  No real problems. I could walk when I wanted to.  I limped a little but it was OK. Next time I will go to Berlin and get some Amish lunch.  Yum!
 Did drive for ten or twelve miles through a bad storm with lots of rain and wind north of Wooster Ohio on Rt 83.
Well I think I will go now CUL GB

calihoula

« Reply #23635 on: July 09, 2021, 06:41:14 PM »

hi joho maybe that lady could wear a name tag you know hi my name is or you could write it on your hand i was up a ladder at the top of all the basement steps patching a hole in the ceiling from mice in the attic came down thought i was on last step i was not fell ladder and all hit the floor on my left hip thank god i fell back not forward down all them steps. did not hurt my foot or ankle more my hip hurts but did my chores today i know its bruised badly so no looky. dont want to know heard from my lawyer firebugs insurance will pay we have to list everything do lots of stuff. jim going down there he will do lots of it. i put lots of dog food cat food on my sidewalk big huge bowl of water i looked out my bathroom window five baby raccoonies eating away taking turns getting in that water bowl parents in the barn eating it was 103 here 79 in the barn. set at 73 barn did good today i think. my torn rotator cuff was almost a year of grueling pt mon wed fri i also did it at home but was worth it your doing good. cul gb oh yesterday i saw my first wooley worm makes think fall is coming which leads to winter yay!

calihoula

« Reply #23636 on: July 09, 2021, 06:45:01 PM »

3:12

calhound

« Reply #23637 on: July 10, 2021, 06:00:18 AM »

hi you guys its 71 here and raining 3 mom raccoonies 5 kids

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/99055D57ED18?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23638 on: July 10, 2021, 08:51:44 AM »

4:42 shoes pots.  Mary forgot to come over.  I had to run her down on her way home. to give her the homemade bread.  It would not be good a day later, because it is Amish and goes stale quickly.  Caught up to her at Cracker Barrel.  To make up for it we are meeting for dinner this evening.  Not sure where yet.  She will pick and let me know.  She knows lots of good places.
Going to take some nice peaches to debbie soon.  Not sure if she is away or not.  I will leave them on her porch if not home.  She likes to take Boss to parks on Sat.
Then I will go get my bike out of tune up shop in Oberlin.  Have not heard from them, but should be done by now.  I think my knee is loose enough to ride again.  At least I hope so.  Really nice weather today. 9:30 and still only 66 degrees and sunny.  Feels like a fall day.  Went for blood testing this morning first thing.  Forgot my newspaper.  Came all the way back home to get it.  Read it while waiting, and mostly while eating breakfast at Wendy's.  I see controversy about Alzheimer drug approval while covid waits for approval.  Looks fishy to me, and sad.  Many people think vaccines is less than good ,because it is only partially approved in spite of millions of cases of benefit and no harm.  What the heck?
I will wear my mask everywhere I go to avoid maybe spreading all kinds of germs to unprotected people.  Maybe some will take the hint and get a shot.
Have not looked in on our babies yet.  Will go now and CUL. GB

calhound

« Reply #23639 on: July 11, 2021, 05:40:40 AM »

Confusing Bears - UPDATE July 10, 2021
Spanky with tick on eye
Spanky with tick on eye
Spanky stopped by trying to look like One-eyed Jack, but he made us look twice at the new one-eyed bear for only an instant. It’s an engorged tick on his eye lid.

Maybe Rusty
Maybe Rusty
Then a brown-colored bear ran through, being chased away by Spanky. The bear didn’t look enough like Rusty to accurately identify him as Rusty. We couldn’t see if he had a chest patch or not to separate him from another brown one, so I’m calling him “maybe Rusty.” From all the bright brown and very dark brown cubs we are seeing, we think the two brown males are popular. But this brown one is fixing to confuse us even more. He is shedding his brown fur, starting at the front. His head, ears, and a bit of his neck have already turned black. The rest of his long winter fur will be gone soon.Brown cub
Brown cub

Up in a white pine sat a brown cub with no mother or littermate around to help us with identification, and he didn’t show us his chest blaze to let us know which brown cub he is.

Sometimes, they can be confusing.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center