Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 634990 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23415 on: May 19, 2021, 08:42:24 AM »

hi you guys. well i pray that those cubs are okay  :( i hope dr rogers hand gets better sure it will thank you dr rogers i would of done exactly the same thing how do not see a bear cub while driving maybe you should not be driving. no telling what all else you have hit.  >:(

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/E9055D4B5DB5?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23416 on: May 20, 2021, 06:40:58 AM »

Daily Updates
More about the Cub’s Behavior - UPDATE May 19, 2021
19 May 2021
 Print Email
Yesterday, the cub’s behavior surprised me over and over. Today, I told a man with medical background about it, and as soon as I told him that the cub repeatedly lay down and curled up, he said, “That’s a sign of a head injury.” I believe it. The head is the part mostly likely to be clobbered as a car passes over it.Cub hit by car
Cub hit by car

First, I was surprised to see the cub’s lack of fear of the conservation officer that this little female walked by without concern in the picture. Then I couldn’t believe that she wasn’t paying attention to traffic and repeatedly wanting to lie down on the centerline and curl up. That’s where she was when I picked her up. I was surprised that she did not react when I first touched her. It was only when I had her almost up to my chest that she suddenly began to fight—desperately. Then, I could hardly believe it when I set her down to let her go and she turned and climbed the pantleg of the very person she was trying to get away from. And then went after two others, showing no judgment.

I’ve never seen those behaviors before and would say they are unusual. Maybe a head injury explains them. I hope she will be okay if she hasn’t already recovered and is one of Sallyann’s cubs that seem fine. The picture I have of her and the picture of one of Sallyann’s cubs are very similar. Time may show something different.

PS: My hand is healing well with no infection or pain. It looks dark where there are bruises and along the scratches. Going to be okay. Thank you for your good comments.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23417 on: May 20, 2021, 06:49:08 AM »

hi you guys i believe that cub is okay maybe a concussion and recovered and i believe hooked back up with her mom. those moms are just so good finding taking care of cubs but then family breakup kick them out. that is not very good.  last night my pin in my little toe fell out.  :) it was sticking way out i mean way out hurting pretty badly too. i pulled my covers off and heard a ping looked on the floor there it was. this morning i took a picture of it and cleaned my foot new bandage over stitches and put that split on my little toe and toe deal in the middle. they gave it to me thinking that pin would be out before the 27th. have to call them send the picture. my foot is swollen big time. so 4 weeks of wearing this stuff but better than that pin.  happy to hear dr rogers is healing! :) sister is going home tomorrow she did not want too but almost of out cig and needs to pay her rent her bills and check her mail. i told her you will be back but now you need to take care of your stuff and she said okay.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2E055D4DD6E8?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23418 on: May 21, 2021, 06:08:21 AM »

hi you guys joho said he put some weight on his knee yesterday back in the wheelchair. hope we get an update tomorrow on dr rogers hand and the little bear sister wanting to stay here till wed i do not think i can do that she needs to go home take care of her stuff so maybe till sunday so jim does not have to drive in traffic on monday. my foot hurts this splint and spacer make it feel like that pin is still very much in there but i did not take it off wanted too but i did not. no more foot surgeries. and joho having to stay in rehab till june 1 or 2 i am thinking no knee surgeries either. i am a lousy patient but really jim said i have done good with this for me really good with this.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BD055D53395C?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23419 on: May 22, 2021, 06:23:31 AM »

Daily Updates
More on the Cubs, Ted on a Hot Day - UPDATE May 21, 2021 
21 May 2021
 Print Email
I learned more on the cubs. A man arrived in time to see the mother drag a limp cub into the woods while the cub I saw was rolling around. I suspect both got hit on the head by the car. Then the man heard the cub in the woods bawl, and he saw the visible cub become more coordinated. Both apparently were recovering to an extent.Valentines mate
Valentines mate

Yesterday, Donna and I stopped by there to see if the cub I carried had moved on from the white pine she had gone to just before we left. Today, a man did a thorough search of that patch of woods, looking for carcasses or any sign, sight, or sound of bears. Nothing. It appears they moved on as they continued to recover. I hope they are both okay. Reports of the cubs with Sallyann are that they are both fine. I don’t know for sure if these are the cubs bouncing back like bears sometimes do, or if there is another mother that no one sees. Either way, I hope the cubs are okay.

On this hot day, Ted knew what to do. He took a long and happy bath. "Taught" caught it all in this 15:49-minute video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKtXKpC3M38. For over 15 minutes, Ted lay in the water squirming, soaking, and splashing water on himself. Then, apparently satisfied, he hobbled out. It felt good to see him enjoying himself in the cool comfort of the stream.

Out the window, Valentine’s mate is back with his distinctive scars on his nose. We’re still trying to figure out who he is, though. He is here alone, and we haven’t seen Valentine for days.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23420 on: May 22, 2021, 06:35:54 AM »

hi you guys it 68 and raining again it has rained 8 days in a row weather man said record is 10 and sure will beat that rain tomorrow and looks like thru next week  >:( muddy mess around here. having to keep working on pearls barn floor with this rain. grass is so high water everywhere.  i do believe the cubs are okay with their mom i hope whoever hit them felt bad and will look out for all animals in the future. i love dr rogers. howard put weight on his knee yesterday said lots of pain but he can do it. he is using his wheel chair to get to the bathroom. he text me last night said black list is on i recorded it will watch it today with sister we watched the royals game last night royals lost. i sent my toe pictures to dr gause and said guess i do not have to keep my appt for next thursday since pin fell out but they said pics looked good and they still want to see me next thursday. when that split and spacer move really hurts bad did it in the barn yesterday i loosen the top strap on that boot and was able to finish my barn stuff sister helped me with it. foot still swollen big time.

hi lupe how is smokie doing? i saw on the news well us farm report big explosion at a grain deal in des moines had it tape. no one was hurt that was good.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/98055D4BA462?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #23421 on: May 22, 2021, 12:43:30 PM »

hi rues hope you are okay we watched blacklist so good i love glens mom paula love the bingo people red making news announcements  :) i hope he goes and gets liz sisters cat  :( yes liz is a criminal! she went all out nuts. why does red protect her?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

ruesgram

« Reply #23422 on: May 22, 2021, 05:05:03 PM »

Hi Cal! I hope someone goes and gets that cat, too! Funny thing, that's the first thing I thought of when the show was over! Looks like everyone Liz liked was killed. I like Glen's mom, too! What a character! Lol! Reading about the cubs that got hit was so sad. I hope they are ok now. Dr Rogers hand looks awful. Hope it heals quickly and doesn't get infected. How scary for you when the pin fell out! Glad you don't have to go back and have it reinserted! Hope your foot feels better soon. Glad that Polly has been helping you.  Sandy, my sis's housemate, is 62. She has been wanting to take early retirement but sis told her that with her health problems she wouldn't have insurance until 65 and she needs her health insurance. Sandy was reading that Joe Biden is hoping to change full retirement age to 60. So Sandy decided to wait see what happens. That would help a lot of people if it would happen.  I wish you could send us some of your rain! We haven't had any significant rain in almost 2 weeks. None expected till later next week. To make matters worse we are in a heat wave! Last week temps got into the 80's and low 90's and they haven't left! The ground is hard as a rock. But night time temps drop into the 50's so the pool water is still cold!  Everyone in my family are all fully vaccinated and we still are wearing our masks when we go shopping, etc!

Jo, it takes time to heal but you will be so glad that you had your knee replaced! Crow has never regretted it.  :)

lupinelady

« Reply #23423 on: May 23, 2021, 05:35:08 AM »

Good morning everyone- rues- we've had chances of rain every day for the last ten days and have gotten less than 2 inches all together. But we needed it after a really dry April.  Yesterday i kept getting rained on- moving plants, weeding and mulching. I changed wet t-shirts 3 times! lol Still have lots of mulching to do. I strained muscles, tendons and fascia in my left hip the day before  Mother's Day so have been working with physical therapist on that. The good news is that my orthopedist took hip x-rays and he said that although there is arthritis in there i'm nowhere near in need of a replacement. Yay! So I'm getting better every day. Learning to cope.

cal- smokey continues to struggle to come and eat because we have yet another stray insisting on thaking up residence here. I'm really frustrated with the situation. We put out bowls for everyone and space them far aoart but the new black cat wants to eat from the bowl that smokey likes. Aargh! We never heard about the grain bin explosion in des moine but know that they do happen often.

johoward- hand in there; you will never regret having that surgery. Do your therapy.
cal- i read your comment about not getting knee surgery because you didn't want to go to rehab. All doctors are different but the only reason surgery patients around here go to rehab residence is becasue they live alone. That wouldn't be a problem for you. Talk with your doc.

Peonies are just about ready to bloom- lots of buds this year!!
Have a great day jewelies!

calhound

« Reply #23424 on: May 23, 2021, 07:19:38 AM »

hi rues! i thought of that cat from the moment she died and then nutty criminal liz got taken in to custody. four more shows left i hope she doesnt escape but probably will who knows! sister said she use to watch blacklist knows what is about. jim knows lot of ford guys that watch it too. suppose to rain again today tomorrow you can have it!!! please come get it!!  :) i was happy that pin fell out i did not feel it at all i been feeling it alot it was almost out i heard a ping on the floor looked over there it was. my cat was starting to bat it around.  i thought i would not have to go back to the dr next thursday since it fell out but they want me too. this splint and spacer are painful. sick of all it want my life back joho said patience grasshopper. i wish joe biden would do that i worry about sister not having insurance she thinks she can buy that cobra but i talked to her boss he said he told her very expensive she will not have the money for that but she does not care just wanted to retire and now been bugging me about just living here she makes it pretty stressful for me and ford shut down all this time stressful for jim to be here all the time. i think i will take off this boot and just get in my car and drive around i really need too. joho loved blacklist too the bingo people he got a kicked out of.

hi lupe that is so frustrating to have cat after cat had that here after coaly cat we said that is it. have seen two more jim ran them off i just cannot do anymore cats or dogs or horses or goats. i realize i cannot save them all and mine always in the house so my birds squirrels etc can live. my hummers are so cute. jim said to me howard is in rehab because that is what is family feels best for him and he lives alone. but lupe i cant go back to not being about to drive do stuff maybe knee not like foot no more foot stuff. i will ask dr gause someday. i got some pink peonies my mom planted when we built this house they are against the side fence by propane tank hidden way back i will have to try to see them if i can.  great news on your hip!! oh like joho said be patience grasshopper.  there goes griz jim still in bed why i do not know he did nothing yesterday but take hay to pearl.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/82055D5352EE?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23425 on: May 24, 2021, 05:41:22 AM »

hi you guys yesterday i took off my boot and put my scooter in my car sister and i went to the grocery store. i guess jim has a cold so he cant do anything good sister is here to help during the day im on my own in the morning like this take a few trips to the barn alone suppose to rain again today  :( weather lady says we are stuck in a pattern really does she thinks that saw on our news lots of homes flooded out in smaller town around lots of homes.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/87055D5A2B24?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23426 on: May 25, 2021, 06:59:14 AM »

Daily Updates
May 24, 2021 Sharon’s Bear News, RC and Cubs 
24 May 2021
 Print Email
RC and yearlings on May 24, 2021
RC and yearlings on May 24, 2021

May 23, 2021 – Bear News

Ted’s big bath, Holly oh Holly and Tasha returns a bluff.

On Friday morning all bears were fed breakfast and locked in their own spaces. It was Ted’s turn in the big enclosure. It’s easier to work with Ted when he isn’t attentive to the other bears.Ted
Ted

Ted’s enclosure gate was opened and he started on his way to the viewing area. He munched some grass as he went. He and Lucky had a brief encounter at the fence line while Ted sat down to eat grass.

Grass is rich in crude protein, as well as many vitamins and minerals. Some clover varieties provide nutrients to help reduce inflammation due to arthritis, meaning Ted knows what to eat to help him feel better. Here is a link to more information about white clover. https://helth.co/12-white-clover-benefits-for-health-and-more/.

Ted weighed 574 lbs. this week. He ate some trail treats and drank from the pond. Ted doesn't like the logs arranged so close to the shore, so he chose to go into the stream/creek. His bath began as he splashed and washed his face, I commented, “first bath in 6 weeks”. He then went on a walk-about and marked cedar trees behind his den. Well done Ted; a long nap followed.

Lucky replica?
Lucky replica?
A few weeks ago Lucky pushed down a dead poplar tree. The base was about 9 inches in diameter. Lucky used his weight to push and push until the tree fell over. The bears have been enjoying the succulent bugs and larvae from the logs. Lucky is often seen with remnants of wood dust on his head. He also enjoys playing with the logs. As we look at the mound from the food shed, it appears he has carved a wooden replica of himself or maybe it's a fox; let us know what you see. (See photo). Lucky weighed 441 lbs. this week.

Holly, oh my, what can I say, she’s in estrus and being a terror to Tasha. Tasha remains fairly calm but also defends herself; she tormented Tasha yesterday by marking Tasha’s enclosure and bluff charging her fence, her behavior changed with Ted. She approached his den and marked it and looked happy when he grunted at her. Oh Holly. Holly weighed 250 lbs. and Tasha weighed 277 lbs. this week.

With the rain that we’ve had this week, the flowers quickly turned into buds on the trees. The cottonwood seed filled the air yesterday and our hallway looked like someone had sheared a sheep. It has been hot this past week and the bear’s tubs are filled with water daily for their enjoyment.

Lucky
Lucky
Tasha
Tasha
Holly
Holly

The bears’ half birthday fundraiser is fast approaching. Mark the date - June 13th @ 10:00am for bear excitement. One of the best gifts the bears receive are the pinatas. They know there are treats inside and they become anxious when they see them. You’ll all have the opportunity to vote and donate for bear food and their care. Details coming very soon.

Half Birthday

Our summer interns will be arriving soon. I always watch their expression and body language when they are introduced to the bears. One fun and memorable event is the half- birthday. The interns will be giving each bear their own pinata, with my help. They see how happy the bears are and how they display emotion. Throughout the summer the interns will learn and achieve many things but respect and gaining each bear’s trust is a major achievement. The bears are the best teachers, as I still learn so shall they.

Thank you for all you do,
Sharon Herrell, Sr. Bear Keeper

calhound

« Reply #23427 on: May 25, 2021, 07:08:12 AM »

hi you guys. it rain a little yesterday hot and humid here. i went out to the barn and pearls ac not working well and i saw a snake in the barn. :( it was next to sweets front door he was in his bed looking down at it. i cant run at all barely walk my trash can was right there no lid i have been looking for the lid so i put it down and the snake went right in i lifted it up put a pee pellet empty bag over it hobbled it out to smokey got sister to sit in smokey hold down that plastic she had her foot sticking out i said pull your foot back in or i will shut it in the door she said fine go ahead  >:( i said if i do you will know how your sister feels drove down the road had her take out the can told her lay it down and she did and then stuck her face in there i said get away from that can snakes can lunge man alive so snake okay stupid sister okay great update pics bears look healthy esp tasha holly you best knock it off one day tasha just may put you in your place! those girls! :) oh i went with jim to the warehouse got a gasket for pearls ac works great again.  i turned on the big fans before we left.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A9055D57C52F?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23428 on: May 26, 2021, 06:45:43 AM »

Daily Updates
RC, Bow, and Yellow - UPDATE May 25, 2021
25 May 2021
 Print Email
RC still has all four yearlings with her, and Bow revealed that both her female cubs survived through the winter and are still with her as yearlings today.

Goldfinch
Goldfinch
Evening grosbeak
Evening grosbeak

Out the window, my favorite color yellow as I was growing up was twice a highlight in the last two days. Yesterday, the first evening grosbeak I’ve seen this year showed up, and today an American goldfinch sat in stark contrast against a black background.

Thank you for all you do.

calhound

« Reply #23429 on: May 26, 2021, 06:46:50 AM »