Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 478822 times)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #10020 on: October 10, 2023, 11:58:25 AM »

Sloth Preschool Updates:

Roo, 2F Sloth: She is very active, as always. She eats a lot of leaves! We're slowly removing milk from her diet.
Ken, 2F Sloth: He is now weighing 590g. He has been eating very well and is very active.
Myrtle, 2F Sloth: She is now just eating leaves. Her mobility has improved a lot.
Nara, 3F Sloth: She is still undergoing nebulization. Eating leaves and drinking milk.
Elmo, 2F Sloth: He started his smoothie transition with milk. He is now eating more leaves.

A friendly reminder: We are a critical care facility - Even though you do not see this on camera, the animals are under 24/7 vet care.

Nala on nursery duty  ;D

Annabelle  ;D

Roo  :-*

Nara  :-*

Morning Beakers!
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Weasel, that's good to know about WM. We'll have to check into that. Thanks....

Puff, WM has been buying the family trash companies in Northern AZ too. We are using a small family company, half the cost of WM. So I can have two bins, one is tree debri, pine needles, etc.

Oldguy, Mike is deciding which Brothers printer to buy.  :)

Hi Lisa, Kb, Baz  :)

Eagles, Milo is the sassy looking one on the right.  ;D

Karen, glad your neighbor helps you and an HHA is coming today.  ;D

Tsk, yummy fish recipes. I'll have to check out Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute.

Clynn, thanks for the confirmation about Spirit and Sky. I remember the names now. I couldn't find the nest dates on NEFL pertaining to Romeo and Juliet... love the pic of Max and Emma  a definite bonded pair. I remember you posting pics... love the pumpkin arrangement.... great spider cartoon... oh my, Lynyard Skynard from the Civil War. LOLOLOL!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 12:00:48 PM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #10021 on: October 10, 2023, 11:59:08 AM »

Karen - Here in Orange County, CA, I have Waste Management as well.  They have a program for seniors and others that have difficulty taking out/in their bins.  They will provide that service and WM doesn't charge for it here.

Same here, weasel....they call it Valet service and all 4 (2 large lawn) of my cans have a large V on them..with my steep hill with steps alongside the garage I still need to roll them around the corner and place them on subsequent 4 steps or I wouldn't get out of my garage..the new lawn care garbage guy, does push them down the steps for me. The garbage and recyle guys only leave them in front of my garage..Free service negotiated with Waste Management through the city.

LisaG1967

« Reply #10022 on: October 10, 2023, 01:27:01 PM »

Puff - That is nice of your garbage collector to help you. 

Phyl - Cool witch figurine. 

Lani - Thanks for the TRR update.  Good to see some familiar names still there.  :-*

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #10023 on: October 10, 2023, 01:31:11 PM »

I just voted. And, here are the results thus far:   ;)

#32 Chunk    11,750     Vs.       #128   Grazer     53,022
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #10024 on: October 10, 2023, 01:38:35 PM »

Just now  snapped this...

Mississippi River Flyway Cam
Oct 10, 2023 1:34 PM
Camera Time: Oct 10, 2023 1:34 PM CDT
Birchwoman

And, from earlier this AM...

Mississippi River Flyway Cam
Oct 10, 2023 10:07 AM
Camera Time: Oct 10, 2023 10:07 AM CDT
Birchwoman

One can never see too many BEs / eagles .  ;)
Six juvies...

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Puff

« Reply #10025 on: October 10, 2023, 02:39:06 PM »

Caught me just in time Phyl  I was going to mention that I had seen 6 juvies on that felled tree.  I guess I should count only wearing my glasses. 

But now because of all the garbage talk you have me reminiscing my time at Waste Management.  I worked late afternoon/early evening in the 60's while I was doing college.  Hours were always unique for classes as some of you recall, and the $$$$$ was needed.  They had a new headquarters starting up in the midwest - their big spread was in     Saudi Arabia.  Here, it was in Oakbrook, IL - right across the road from the Butler National Golf Course.  CEO Mr. Buntrock  was always only in the area for a game.  He would stop by for lunch and have us schedule a time.  Locally for business his first "dumps" were across the state line in NW Indiana - and so the story goes.  BUT  He got caught making up some questionable accounting records.  I followed the saga for a while.  I even got a reference from D. Day CPE who I actually got hired by.  I stopped thinking about the company except for an occasional news headline.  (Wonder where Buntrock and Day are today.)

Anyway, they sold off and reorganized what  was left.  Now they're trying to reestablish somehow.  They have new markets I know (AZ?)  They had bought my last disposal service company, Advanced, even bought new trucks, but then they sold it in less than a year.  Quick like a rabbit some Management Fund moved in to enlarge equity with LRS.  One of you said you have LRS.  Lakeshore Recycling Systems, but you don't have a lake me thinks?

No my special help is not given to others on the block in the group.  It's just special for me because I be special.  ::)  I still have to get things down to the curb, he just brings carts up to the garage door, actually gets out of his cab and walks up carts.  I remember him at Christmas FOR SURE and give him a full bottle of cool water when it is hot outside, which he then can recycle.  And, if the timing is right, he will bring up the paper on the drive and lay it on the cart.  When he's not on some days the job it becomes my job again.

City contract gives a flat rate for two regular carts, different color lids to differentiate recycle from land fill; small carts for less money if you don't have oodles of kids or cats.  ;D  Yard waste (in season) in paper sacks, free pickup.  Many extra (big) items free if you call to arrange before pickup day.

Who would think garbage could get so much space in The Beak!

P

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #10026 on: October 10, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D This made me laugh out loud!!! Thanks, Clynn!!! :D :-*
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #10027 on: October 10, 2023, 03:34:18 PM »

MORNING BEAKERS

41 heading to 59  Brrr. 

KAREN   The Packer game was not televised here - at least not on any channel I have.  I see they lost tho.  Doing about as bad as the Bears..LOL

BAZI  Tim loves to cook fish and he sautes it olive oil and a little butter - and has several seasonings from the spice rack out on the counter - I don't watch but stay out of his way  LOL  He then sautes onions in the same pan which he likes over his fish - I do not.  When I cook I too saute in olive oil and a little butter seasoned with lemon pepper, and 21 seasoning salute from Trader Joes.  I love to bake it tho with the same seasonings but spread olive oil on fish first.  Then lay thin lemon slices over the top.

LANI   Why didn't I realize Norman and Milo look so much alike   ::)  Love the good night pic  ;D

CLYNN  " Earl May and Merle Hay"   LOLOL   Kum and Go gas station - Only in Iowa  LOLOL    Civil War cassette  - sure seems like it these days.  ::)

PHYL  Love that beautiful fall bench display.      I want the pumpkin on the very top shelf  ;) ;)

TSK, thanks for the T&T Fish Sautee Method tips!  :D  Tim and you are good fish cooks!  When you saute it, do you turn it over, or keep it skin side down the whole time? I'm always nervous about turning a fillet flesh-side down in the pan - seems like it always sticks or falls apart when I do that.  ::) Do you cover it with a lid to finish the cooking? I don't remember how thick or dense walleye fillets are, so I'm not sure how long they would need to cook with your method. I always try to cook my fish to just barely done, or almost done, since it cooks a bit more after taking it off the heat and letting it sit 5 minutes. I overdosed on lemon pepper seasoning in a previous cooking life, LOL, so it's not in my cabinet anymore.  ;) But I use pepper and also lemon or lime a lot! I don't know that Trader Joe's sesoning - I need to check it out!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #10028 on: October 10, 2023, 03:46:32 PM »

Lani, I did not realize your kitties almost look like twins! So pretty!  Clunn, beautiful siamese!   Love your last picture with the decorated Pumpkin!   I am going to buy some coleus this spring!  So pretty! I haven't had any since I was in Fairhope!
Tsk I saute fish in olive oil and maybe a little butter with lemon, etc as well!  Also use  Zatarain fish fry and olive oil!  Light spicy coating!   No Walleye  here. Saw tge Pack finally lost last night!  Now, the Bears did beat Washington last week, 40 to 20! 
Mt neighbor, across the street will take my garbage container to the street but she was out of town this weekend!  She met her sister and her family, her kids and I am noT sure about her husband, north of Atlanta for the forth and last spreading of her mothers ashes!  This has been going on a long time. I do not want bits and pieces left all over the place!  Lol.
Anyway, the short walk was good for me!   Yes, Phyl, the container has wheels!  We have Waste Management here as do many of you!
Getting ready for hha today and a day of some quick shopping!

LOLOL Karen!!! You don't want bits and pieces left all over the place!  ;D ;D ;D  Oh my, belly laugh!!  :D :-* Love it!  Yeah, that's taking "scattering" very literally. I know many people choose to do that multi-location ash scattering for special reasons, as some of our Beakers have mentioned, as well. But I've told my family they can do what they want with mine, except they are not allowed to keep them - and if allowed, never even pick them up from the crematory! LOL. I don't think they can get away with that though.  ;) ;D  I just learned this past summer that the hometown cemetary where my family's plot is now also allows ashes to be scattered on the grounds of the cemetary! So mine could be scattered arouund my family's plot, which is nearing capacity. I don't need to take up real estate space.  ;) :D

baziunc

« Reply #10029 on: October 10, 2023, 03:53:22 PM »

I've been following the saga of Karen and the garbage.  Michael did help/will help if needed (usually the yard bags no wheels  >:() But he's still under watch from his wipeout.  But only a couple bags to go before it's all gone for the season.  Use a two-wheeler to roll out the bags.  Cans are on wheels.

Plus, I mentioned before, the garbage picker-upper saw me with my friend the stick and now helps me.  Going down to the curb I put the stick sticking it out of the can going down and then I have stick when I finish to walk back up.  It's a long walk and slanted back up.  After he's done with the pickup/pickups he sooooo nicely gets out of his truck and rolls the empty cans back up to the garage for me.  I think that's just so nice! 

Later -

P

Puff, your garbage picker-upper is a very nice person!!  I just love hearing about that!  :) :-*  I have a feeling your garbage picker-upper is going to get a bag of yummy homemade treats from you this Christmas!  :)

baziunc

« Reply #10030 on: October 10, 2023, 03:58:15 PM »

Karen - Here in Orange County, CA, I have Waste Management as well.  They have a program for seniors and others that have difficulty taking out/in their bins.  They will provide that service and WM doesn't charge for it here.

Weasel, wow! That's a great service there!! I hope Karen's WM office will offer the same for her! I'm sure there are others who will read this and check in their towns, too. I hope!  :D Good to see you dropping by The Beak today, and hope you are doing well!   :)

Karen, let us know if you call your WM office about this, and what they say. Fingers crossed they have the same program!!  :)

baziunc

« Reply #10031 on: October 10, 2023, 04:04:04 PM »

KAREN   I must say it sure sounds like you are really doing well.  :-*

EAGLES   Yes I did pull out my big warm fall sweater today  ;D

PUFF   What a nice gesture from the garbage pick-up guy.   :-*

WEASEL  That's a pretty nifty free program for seniors.  Never heard of that before. Guess that is because we don't have Waste Mgt here.

TSK, we have WM here, but I've never heard of that seniors program to carry trash bins to the street and return them, either. Glad to hear about it! You might call your garbage collection company and ask if they offer such a program for seniors anyway... you never know till you ask! If they don't offer it, maybe letting them know that WM offers it might get them to add the service there. Some wishes do come true!  :D

baziunc

« Reply #10032 on: October 10, 2023, 04:14:09 PM »

Puff, I post replies as I read, usually... Reading on, I see you mentioned you remember your garbage picker-upper at Christmas. I figured you did!  ;) :-* I remember "services" people that time of year, but mine don't get to eat the yummies that I know come out of your kitchen!  :)

baziunc

« Reply #10033 on: October 10, 2023, 04:18:59 PM »

WAVING TO ALL! HAVE A GREAT DAY!  :)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #10034 on: October 10, 2023, 05:30:16 PM »

LANI   Nara can do some mighty efficient scratching with those "3 fingers" :o

PHYL   I take it back from yesterday - Looks like Grazer could be the top banana  - or the fattest bear  LOL   Nice shot from the flyway.  My Milwaukee brother and his wife just returned today from a few days in the Prairie du Chien area in South west Wi on the Mississippi.  He  sent my other brother and me an email saying they were back and said " Oh by the way Sue, we counted 20 eagles with one flying right over us"  LOLOL

BAZI   I'm sure I do it wrong but I always cook flesh side down to start because I have the seasoning in the oil and I want to taste it on the fish. I don't eat the skin. I flip it on its skin for the last minute or so.   Think Tim says that's wrong so he does the opposite.  He covers the pan and I don't usually.  I call it done when the fish flakes a bit with a fork.  It takes about 5-7 min?  Walleye is a thin fillet like whitefish and mild to my taste buds.  I'm cremated and Tim's not.  Either way I get tucked in with him or they lift me out and put him in first  LOLOL   We have a very simple driveway and a short distance  -maybe 30-40' to the curb - We have three large bins on wheels - garbage, recycle and yard waste.  We don't need help yet.  In fact I bring Communion to a gal from our parish who can't get to church and part of my routine is to get her bin to the curb  LOL  Her son comes later to bring it back.
Chicagoland