Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 656988 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24450 on: January 22, 2022, 08:24:14 AM »

5:45 WOW! Only 4° at 9:14 this morning.  No walking around today.  May not be going out at all.  Computer is working well so all is good.  LOL
Will spend my day looking at all the cams I like.  Started with Dublin where it is 45°, and everyone is walking around with their coats open.  On Snowman a dozen black phase grey squirrels are racing about.  There is a beautiful sunrise on GSB Falcon Cam.  Yesterday the North Eagle cam showed that the I think Mom was eating a big fish in the nest and hanging around.  Nesting is close I think. At The Deer Pantry I saw two bucks eating out of the same trough without fighting.  So I guess the rut is over for now.  The does seem to do a lot of sparring around the feed.  The wild turkeys seem to annoy the younger deer.
Now I will let you rest while I play some solitaire.  CUL EV1 GB

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #24451 on: January 23, 2022, 05:33:00 AM »

Remembering Hope and Bright and Puffy - UPDATE January 22, 2022
Remembering Hope
Remembering Hope

Hope came into this world 12 years ago today as many people around the globe watched and waited as Lily labored. The sound of Hope's tiny voice melted many hearts and formed strong bonds between those who loved her. She may be gone from this earth but those relationships remain and are woven together with the common love of bears.
Her name, voted by Lily Fans, signifies:

Hope—for bear populations everywhere
Opportunity—to learn what bears are really like
Progress—toward correcting misconceptions and changing attitudes
Education—about bear life

To this day, her legacy helps educate people on how to coexist with bears. Amazing how one single bear could have been the cause of so much good.

The 5-minute den cam video of Hope’s birth is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vckzJF-fEc.

Here are some videos that compile clips of Lily and Hope's first year in the den.

January 21-22, 2010 - Lily's Labor and Delivery of Hope Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vckzJF-fEc
January 28 - February 25, 2010 - Lily & Hope Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2nEKbEnUb4
February 28 - March 18, 2010 - Lily & Hope Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rOmGmkTRL8
March 19 - April 1, 2010 - Lily & Hope Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs5rL8HpgkQ

She will forever be remembered by all whose lives she touched.

On this sunny, cold, windy day, Pretty Girl was at her brightest and birds at rest were at their puffiest. For this human, it was a day to stay indoors and watch.Pretty Girl
Pretty Girl

Pretty Girl remains alert, but is more her old self—calmly taking food to eat or bury. The last we saw of the bobcat and the second fox was Wednesday the 19th when Pretty Girl chased the fox away like she meant it. Pretty Girl seems to be here to stay, resting on snow mounds, repeatedly entering the carport where there is an abandoned woodchuck burrow, and burying food usually within a hundred feet of the burrow. It probably doesn’t hurt that her burrow is also only a hundred feet from her favorite place to chase red squirrels.

My current thought, always subject to change, is that she has made this her territory and is not about to tolerate another fox where she has worked so hard to stash food.

Red-breasted nuthatch
Red-breasted nuthatch
Blue Jay
Blue Jay 
Pretty Girl frequently looks and listens from snow mounds (as pictured above), but I think she is checking for competitors as much as she is checking for danger. I believe she is making this the place she will give birth to pups like a gray fox did a few years back.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24452 on: January 23, 2022, 05:40:07 AM »

hi you guys its 39 51 in the barn one gray one possum. maybe that bobcat moved on guess woodchuck not coming back hope squirrels are safe from pretty girl. dr rogers needs to throw out food for all of them.

hi joho that is cold we had it here coming back here on wed i think big chiefs game today i think 5;30 pm

hi neva did your snowbirds get affected by that ice storm in sc ra did not she is not by the coast.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/06055D50DECA?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24453 on: January 23, 2022, 09:52:31 AM »

6:06 on canal boats puzzle. That looks like a place in Ohio.  We have some canals built long ago and still used, but for enjoyment not for commerce.  This view reminds me of a spot along the main road into Coshocton, Ohio.

It is not too cold here today and it is snowing beautifully.  It is like being inside a snow globe. I have the shades all raised to watch the snow.  Forecast to snow most of the day. 

So I will stay in and watch some football.  Especially the Chiefs for Cal.  Our no. 2 Ohio team, the Bengals, did well yesterday.  Our little Mary is a Bengals fan.  She spent 5 years in Cincinnati University, and she liked it there a lot.  I usually wait for game time to turn on TV, but now with the playoffs in progress I like some of the pregame banter by all the retired coaches and players.

I will say go Chiefs and CUL EV1 GB

calihoula

« Reply #24454 on: January 23, 2022, 12:46:01 PM »

3:06 canal river boats

hi joho yes i was very happy for bengals! saw last part exciting! also happy packers lost to 49ers. lying about being vaccinated shame on you. i watched tennis earlier aussie caught my favorite nadal win straight sets boom done and over. happy novak got sent back not vaccinated rules are rules no one above that. if chiefs win next big game be here at arrowhead temp here been falling its 30 now wind is cold i was thinking im happy to watch it in my room with my dogs. i would need a wheelchair out there maybe i could walk all that with a walker but covid and nope happy here. it is fun at arrowhead. tickets big bucks so fans out there laid out lots of money yay for you fans go chiefs!
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #24455 on: January 23, 2022, 03:38:57 PM »

neva

« Reply #24456 on: January 23, 2022, 04:35:07 PM »

River Boat ...  29:51                60°   (3:16 pm)

Hello everyone... I hope that everyone is having a decent day.

Cal -  I think that Susan will be just fine, they didn't get all that much snow and are used to much more in Wyoming.  I just think it surprised them that they got any at all.  It is their first year as empty nesters, their daughter, Lauryn got married about a year ago, so they had decided to run away from winter.  I think they are still trying to figure that one out.  He has mentioned Florida and Texas, so they'll see how next year goes. 

Joho -  that sounds like a pretty good day, the cameras and football.  I'm afraid I know nothing about football.  The one game that I ever enjoyed watching was when there was a lot of mud, and I sat down with my dad and watched and the players got so covered with mud that after a time you could barely tell the teams apart.  Teenager that I was, I thought that was pretty funny.   lol!  Pathetic, huh?
Actually, my dad and brother, Doug, were and are baseball fans more.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #24457 on: January 23, 2022, 11:05:54 PM »

Yay Call they pulled it out in overtime.  What a game.  They were so well matched.  Both quarterbacks were exceptional.  Patrick really showed his stuff, and the rest of the players stepped up too.  Neva i played football in hig school.  The most fun I remember having was in a game as you described.  Rainy and muddy and everything was slippery.  It was great fun.  I think mostly because no one could get up enough steam to hurt someone.  I had to skip my junior year because at the start of fall practice I got hit in the elbow by the helmet of a teammate helping me make a tackle and broke the bone in my elbow.  That was a rough year.
 I had to take typing with one hand.  I got a pretty good grade by memorizing whole paragraphs and pecking them out with one finger on my left hand.
Time for bed finally. 16° out and lots of snow today.  Good night and God Bless

calhound

« Reply #24458 on: January 24, 2022, 05:19:27 AM »

hi you guys its 44 here one gray cat possums came last night on my sidewalk

hi neva well sure your kids would be okay wy and all  :) i like lots of sports basketball not really one of them right now its all about football so exciting for chiefs and patrick mahomes and team. baseball be back soon. tennis is good now too.

hi joho what a game!! yes so matched up but patricks magic and maybe fans at arrowhead was the winner i saw you got lots of snow.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/98055D583496?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24459 on: January 24, 2022, 08:28:34 AM »

7:31  16° at 9:26 lots of snow this morning, but not going out so OK
Not enough sleep. But lots of good football. CUL EV1 GB

calhound

« Reply #24460 on: January 24, 2022, 10:59:02 AM »

calhound

« Reply #24461 on: January 25, 2022, 05:13:08 AM »

Ted, the Bobcat, Foxes, and Mentors - UPDATE January 24, 2022
Ted
Ted

"Pooch Pal" captured this 5-minute music video of Ted active in his chalet yesterday. Makes a person want to touch noses with him and hear his friendly grunts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNmbHiRL13A. The screenshot above was snapped by Pond Chat Moderator Mike Mathis.

Also yesterday, Pretty Girl was here constantly until she disappeared about 12:30 PM. At 1:05 PM, the bobcat arrived. Pretty Girl has not been seen since. At about 4 PM, Peggy went out the front door and saw the bobcat tear out from under the deck and run up the driveway. This morning at 2:45 AM, Peggy opened the third floor window to see if Pretty Girl would show herself if she called for her. Before she could call, the bobcat heard the window open and tore out from under the front deck again.

We saw no bobcat or fox after that until about 7:30 PM this evening when a fox came sniffing around the usual spots visited by Pretty Girl. Peggy called. The fox ran. A half hour later, the fox was back. Peggy opened the second floor door which usually brings Pretty Girl running. The fox ran up the driveway. Could this have been a male looking for a mate?

Today, thinking about my book, I looked up two strong mentors who I haven’t caught up with for years. The first was Dr. G. Edgar Folk, Jr. who pioneered studies of black bear hibernation physiology and the field of Environmental Physiology. Back in the 1970’s, when he was in his 60’s, we coauthored a report on hibernation after sharing data and thoughts for years. (click here to view) He was ageless and dedicated to science. I remember being surprised in 1998 when he, at 84, updated his 500-page textbook ‘Principles of Integrative Environmental Physiology.’ But he didn’t end with that. In 2012, at 98, he published his memoir ‘Science on the Far Horizon.’ He was still sharp as a tack. Five years later, on December 10, 2017, he died at 103. I can only wish to do that well.

The other mentor was a childhood buddy and classmate of Dr. Folk at Harvard University named Dr. Donald Griffin. Donald, the founder of the study of animal cognition had become a professor at Harvard University and Rockefeller University. I had long followed his research, beginning with his publication of the book ‘The Question of Animal Awareness’ in 1976. He had also followed my work, but we didn’t meet until November 5, 2001, when I was scheduled to give an evening talk at Concord Academy in Concord, Massachusetts. My host, Lydia Rogers (no relation), surprised me by inviting Professor Griffin over to her house for lunch. By that time, I had used a beaver cam to spy on beavers in a winter lodge, and Donald had done the same. We spent hours talking. That evening we all went for my talk. I was pleased to be able to quote Dr. Griffin in answering one of the questions from the audience that evening. I felt honored that soon after that he gave me the equipment he had used for his beaver cam. He was slowing down because of health problems and died two years later at 88 on November 7, 2003.

Many good memories and feelings of thankfulness for friends and mentors who have helped and are helping yet today.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24462 on: January 25, 2022, 05:26:45 AM »

hi you guys its 9 here feels like -1 but soon back up to almost 50 its 51 in the barn one gray cat i hope that bobcat moves on you know what they say about feeding a cat maybe it found scraps around there hope it moves on dont want it hurt dont want pretty girl or anyone hurt if a bear would wake and come along bobcat might think i should find another place to hang out. all dogs howling in the kitchen.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/64055D57C3D5?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24463 on: January 25, 2022, 10:07:38 AM »

Good morning all.  7:15 to see that ship.  Looks like a covid trap to me.  Up to 20° already at 11 am.  Not going to be real hot today I guess, but at least the snow finally stopped falling.  We have enough for a while. IMHO
No real firm plans for today.  So I will probably be indoors and on my computer some.  Looking at cams and reading chats.
Now I realize I forgot to up my thermostat this morning, and have the chills.  GTG warm up.  CUL EV1 GB

calihoula

« Reply #24464 on: January 25, 2022, 02:38:37 PM »

i waves bye bye to covid ship for 3:42

hi joho chilly here sundays big game 46 at kickoff go chiefs! tickets going fast must be lots of rich people nosebleed 500.00 next level club where the man i cleaned his house had season tickets took me  and jim many times we always stopped at shoneys on the way to eat like a dennys then i saw field level where we sat when jim won tickets at union meeting 900.00 great seats
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day