Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 628413 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24465 on: January 26, 2022, 06:20:50 AM »

hi you guys its 6 here 51 in the barn one gray cat that meowed to me ran up but i could not pet it please be a boy holds its tail down but once picked it up and i thought oh no a girl but not sure at all.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/82055D4DB62B?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24466 on: January 26, 2022, 11:06:40 AM »

6:52 Only 12° at noon, but very clear and sunny.
  Got to go to store for milk and lunchmeat.  Will go to Aldi's, because they sent me a sale paper.  They have some good prices on things I usually don't get.  Like Calzones and Breakfast Bowls. Also good price on blueberries at $1.99 a pint.
 Roads are good though.  I will go with my heavy coat and gloves so I can get some gas at Sam's Club.
Hope EV1 is staying warm and safe.  Bye for now.  GB

calhound

« Reply #24467 on: January 27, 2022, 05:12:35 AM »

Pretty Girl Came Back - UPDATE January 26, 2022
Gray Fox
Gray Fox

After disappearing a half hour before the bobcat appeared at 1:05 PM on January 23, Pretty Girl was back being her usual self last evening (January 25) at 10:45 PM. No sightings today, but it is good to know she is still okay.

For a few years, we saw more gray foxes here than red foxes. Then a couple years ago the gray foxes disappeared. A few remain here and there in the area, though. At the Bear Center, Biologist Spencer Peter caught one on the nature trail video camera this past fall at the 1 minute 43 seconds mark in this video. You can tell it is a gray fox rather than a red fox by the black tip on the tail. A coyote appears at the 2 minute mark.

Wildlife Nature Trail - Fall/Winter 2021

White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus), Gray fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus), Coyote (Canis latrans), and Fisher (Pekania pennanti)

Click here to go directly to 1:43 when the fox appears: https://youtu.be/VmTwvn86o-w?t=103

The gray fox picture of four years ago at the WRI shows how they look in the light.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24468 on: January 27, 2022, 05:16:17 AM »

hi you guys its 29 here 52 in the barn one gray cat yay pretty came back i do not feel well been up and down since 1 am and i have to go get groceries i ordered last night i could cry. dragged out to do pearl may ask jim to feed mom cats downstairs

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A1055D4D7577?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24469 on: January 27, 2022, 09:07:20 AM »

Hi ev1.  Got up late today.  Very cold around here.  11° at 10 am. I am ok, but no coffee yet. GTG LOL
Cal,  My Dr. told me to monitor Blood Oxygen and call the squad if it goes below 80. Just FYI. Walmart would have a meter.
Take care of your self first.  Like they tell you on the airplane.  So you can take care of others.
Bye for now EV1 GB

neva

« Reply #24470 on: January 27, 2022, 07:36:42 PM »

Horse at Tetons ...  22:01              59°   (5:57 pm)  chilly to a 'desert rat'... thinking of your temps, I can't complain.

Hi Cal ... I sure wish I could help you... really.  Do you carry your cell phone with you at home and in the barn, all around?  If not, you should, just in case.

Hi Joho ...  Good advice about taking care of one's self ...  I keep trying to keep that in mind.  I am trying to work a bit of exercise back into my days.  'little by little'.  Luckily, I bought a rather nice exercise machine quite a few years ago. 
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24471 on: January 28, 2022, 06:04:11 AM »

Pretty Girl, the Bobcat, and Winter Finches - UPDATE January 27, 2022
Common redpoll
Common redpoll
No Pretty Girl since the sighting at 10:45 PM on January 25. I think I know why. When I stepped out the door onto the front deck last night, the bobcat ran out from under it again. I know Pretty Girl likes it here, and I believe she will be back. I’m just hoping she will feel safe enough to raise her pups here.

Pine grosbeak
Pine grosbeak
Without the fox or bobcat, the highlight of the day was the first Pine Grosbeak of the winter. It was a beautiful male who stopped by just outside the window 5 feet from my desk chair. He watched as I aimed and clicked the camera that is always beside me. I clicked again as he gave a different view just before saying Adios. A couple minutes later, a Common Redpoll landed and tipped its head toward the sun to show how it got its name. Thank you birds.

Pine grosbeak
Pine grosbeak
My recent mentions of mentors Bob Brander, E. O. Wilson, Ed Folk, and Don Griffin brought such nice, unexpected responses from their daughters, students, and friends that I wonder if anyone can help me connect with my old friend, Ed Lindquist, who was the head biologist for the Superior National Forest from the late 1980’s into the early 1990’s. He also co-authored our publications on the wildlife values of oaks (1991) and white pines (1992). I believe he and his wife Shirley moved to Montana. It’s time to revel once again about good times and see what he is up to these days.

Now back to work on a paper I’m helping to co-author about bears and great apes.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24472 on: January 28, 2022, 06:14:43 AM »

hi you guys its 18 here 51 in the barn one gray cat meow where is the food one horse hitting the gate where is my  food one goat ramming his door where is my food five birds flying around where is our food mice sneaking out from the cat where is the food.  i hope dr rodgers finds his friend ed. i hope that bobcat moves on i think dr rodgers is feeding it throwing some food out and cat eating it and you know once you start feeding a cat....

hi neva joho i feel so much better this morning thank you god neva no i do not carry my cell phone with me anywhere right now it is still in my purse in my car in the garage been there since yesterday im not good about the phone. jim has his glued to his hip but not me. he thinks he made meatless spaggetti and bread i ate some of it i never do that maybe settled badly in my stomach after i finally got rid of it felt better but i was so weak too wanted to get sick just sick i think but way better now . im not good at seeing a doctor either jim is but not me cant help what i am but i wish i was not like that. it is chilly for you! joho i do not know what blood oxygen is your oxygen level? that would be nice to see what it is next time i do online at walmart i will see if i can get one of those thanks. 

well there goes my griz gotta go pearl needs her meds too

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D9055D5384ED?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24473 on: January 28, 2022, 09:50:17 AM »

6:30  Shed is scenic, but not really much shelter.
21° at 10:44  Snow off and on.  Streets are very slippery as they were last night.  Lots of wrecks around the county.  I went to KFC (which I love) for No. 2 original take out dinner, and it was really hard to stay in my lane.  It was worth the risk though.  It is only about a half mile from my home.  So food stays warm and drink stay cold.  Also no cooking and no cleaning. Win, win, win, for me. Joan always loved her No. 1 KFC too.  God I miss her. Sob.   Crying now so GTG CUL EV1 God Bless

calihoula

« Reply #24474 on: January 28, 2022, 11:23:15 AM »

3:37 on shed looks likes pretty good shelter to me for some maybe an oasis.

hi joho had to laugh at your number 2 kfc worth the risk so funny i would risk bad roads for pearl if i had too or any of the kids. but not for kcf  :) poor chickens good you are okay no fuss no mess sounds like you did not have far too go. our roads be very bad tuesday afternoon thru night ice  :( snow very cold pearl will need grain by then so i will get it bird seed this weekend monday be like 62 crazy. be safe gb
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 02:51:25 PM by calihoula »
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24475 on: January 29, 2022, 04:26:35 AM »

Shelter ...  21:43             In the 60s somewhere, sunny and windy.

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling much better, Cal.   I only have my cell phone turned on when I leave the house, otherwise it hibernates in my purse.  Needless to say, I don't have a close relationship with it.  I can make a call, send a message or use the camera, and not a whole lot more.  I watch my daughter use hers and can't believe we have the same phones....  me: " Oh... I didn't know it could do that".  I still have my landline phones in each room.

A friend of mine fell and broke her leg badly, and she always has her cell phone with her, and had it not been for that, I have no idea how long it would have been until someone came and found her,  She lives alone.  It might be days... who knows?

Hi Joho ... Me too.  I love KFC! I haven't had it in years though.  When I met Cal, I was actually Vegan most of the time.  I worked out a diet with my doctor, and it worked well.  I need to get back there.  It was most days vegan and other days here and there when I could eat chicken or something else in addition.  I actually liked that, and yet, I drifted away from that.

Take care, everyone.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24476 on: January 29, 2022, 05:48:03 AM »

hi you guys its 19 here 52 in the barn one gray cat but all food pans empty off food off sidewalk gone so lots came. i am pretty sure gray cat is a girl darn it darn it. cant pet her yet either she is coming to me alot meowing follows me around but still not letting me pick her up. oh griz

hi neva! yes you was vegan like kinda sorta in a way!  :) i heard tims chickens the other morning at 3:45 am when i let the dogs out i thought i hope not a coyote or fox where are his two big dogs at i could not see anything but mine started their loud mouths going penny ran back in the house but brownie girl was at the fence looking towards tim barking griz wandering around looking for a place to pee and calihoula barking i think maybe they helped the chickens tim you got that barn twice the size of your house put your chickens up at night!! jim left his phone yesterday i could not believe it and emailed me asked me to please unplug it good that is all i had to do cause i do not have a clue on anything else mine is a flip phone for calls and i can text on it but takes forever to do that i text jims dad he is really hard to understand so we text to each other. we have our land line too mostly for ac business. yes i should carry my phone but anymore jim is back home at noon so i would not be out there for a real long time and its heated. if i lived alone i would maybe get that life alert deal but probably set it off all the time so yes i would carry my phone get in that habit griz comiing

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/EE055D57E399?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24477 on: January 29, 2022, 09:13:59 PM »

Go Chiefs!

calhound

« Reply #24478 on: January 30, 2022, 05:31:01 AM »

Pretty Girl is back? - UPDATE January 29, 2022
Hoary redpoll
Hoary redpoll
Yesterday, after not seeing Pretty Girl for nearly three days since she left at 10:45 PM on January 25, we had an encouraging sight. The bobcat left up the driveway at 5:10 PM. Four and a quarter hours later, Pretty Girl arrived at 9:25 PM. Wary at first, she became less and less wary as she filled up on chicken and was seen here repeatedly until she retired into the garage car port at 1:05 AM today. But she continues to baffle us. Is she really back? Now, at 7:02 PM, nearly 18 hours later, she has not reappeared. (see note below)

A sighting today of another nature was our first sighting this winter of a hoary redpoll, this lighter colored redpoll lives farther north than the common redpoll. It breeds north of the arctic tree line, while commons breed in subarctic forests and tundra scrub.

Hoary redpoll 2017
Common redpoll
Common redpoll for comparison
Hoaries are lighter and grayer than the brown-streaked commons, and hoaries have an unstreaked white portion of the rump patch, while hoaries have strongly brown-streaked rump patches.

Note: Pretty Girl visited the research cabin shortly after Dr. Rogers sent the update and left for home.

calhound

« Reply #24479 on: January 30, 2022, 05:40:55 AM »

hi you guys its 33 here one gray cat one raccoonie when i came in from the barn i put the tv on channel 9 local news and saw a huge line of cars trucks outside arrowhead gates!! waiting to get in for the big game today. get them a good parking spot for tailgating.  i think pretty girl is hungry but not stupid watching for that bobcat and pretty soon it too may think that is its home too.

hi joho! Yes Go Chiefs for the money today! 2 pm arrowhead see you there! :) news said yesterday how joe burrow saying crowd noise at arrowhead no big deal he played college games okay patrick says well never heard anything like chiefs kingdom we are the loudest stadium and said some stadium use speakers up in the stands to make it sound louder which is illegal. and patrick said great fan support here too. see they are already in line to get in. jets flying over so exciting hope we win and hope no players get hurt. gb

hi neva! 2 pm chiefs cinni bengals i was watching tennis at 2:30 am rafa playing  :)

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/06055D4B78CC?z=0