Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 514569 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #4500 on: May 04, 2023, 07:03:02 AM »

And a qu ick visit to Africa...

Stony Point Penguin Colony Camera
Stony Point Nature Reserve, South Africa

May 4, 2023 7:00 AM
Camera Time: May 4, 2023 2:00 PM SAST
Birchwoman

A rock hyrax relaxing.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #4501 on: May 04, 2023, 07:06:15 AM »

HI BEAKERS

41  heading to 72 and sunny  :)

KAREN   Too bad about the birds nest.  I had my front yard re landscaped last June after 15 yrs here.  They say to wait 3 years for the plantings to mature and start looking good.

KB   Beautiful gesture by Split Rock lighthouse   I just read AEF's comments on FB. - " preventable death"  Sad

PHYL   Thanks for the latest from your backyard bluebird family.  The eggs are such a beautiful color.   Sub adult is closer to 3-4 I think.  Head is pretty white.
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #4502 on: May 04, 2023, 07:27:25 AM »

Good morning!  Thanks for the nest tour including the bb report!  The eggs are a wonderful color!  Want a t shirt that shade.  Lani. Thanksfor the bear report.
Tsk, I remember that you had landscaping done.  Our plants might mature a little faster because of our extended growing season but they are right it takes a while,
I-hope the folks at dale hollow will take note and change their ways!
I am going to ask my parents carpenter to put a little fence thing up on that corner so the nest will stop falling.  They try every year.  Off to take pills, etc.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 02:59:50 PM by karengramke »

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #4503 on: May 04, 2023, 07:32:54 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

44 right now, high 81 and sunny today! And lighter winds! A beautiful day! I didn't get Bella pictures posted yesterday, went to Kay's right after Erin picked her up. Dianna and I got a total of 19 bags of trash out for pickup. Ed brought Kelsey over so she could pick out a few of Kay's things (hoodies, Nike bags, shoes...they had a lot of matching items). She was happy!

Phyl, beautiful sub adult! Bandit getting to big to sleep under Mom! Gorgeous sunrise on the Flyway, and four beautiful blue eggs! Love your wildlife! I will watch some of the Coronation, probably not near all of it. The Royan functions are so long and s-l-o-w moving... and I still blame Charles for Diana's demise...  ::) A hyrax, if I recall, that is a staple for the black eagles...

Lani, peaceful good night...

kb, hate the DH news, it was inhumane for DH to wait so long to allow help for the poor little guy... Love the rookery picture, how those huge birds manage those is incredible! What a nice memorial for Gordon Lightfoot...

baz, LOLOL on the 'Strip down facing me' funny!

tsk, I bet your flowers will be beautiful this year! And even better in another couple of years!  Cat, the wife of the guy who is screening our deck is going to do a bit of landscaping for me. We discussed the front flower beds last night! First she wants me to get 16 bags of potting soil! She says my dirt is not good...

karen, have another good day today! I love clematis, the deep, dark purple ones...or the pretty blue... Great idea on a little fence to hold the nest!

Wild Heart Ranch - Good Morning Everyone!!! You can see the blood feathers on this nestling pileated woodpecker. The new feather actually has a blood supply and is encased in keratin. The nestling will gradually preen off the keratin to expose the newly developed feathers. -Greg

Hawk and Owl Trust - 1st Peregrine egg of 2023 hatches at Norwich Cathedral at approx. 04:45 this morning.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

LisaG1967

« Reply #4504 on: May 04, 2023, 07:47:20 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

I forgot to say good night last night, too tired!

Lani - Thanks for the bear study update.

tsk - Reading your post about all what you did yesterday, sounds like you are doing good!  Love your morning greeting!

kb - Love the pic of the rookery.  So sad to hear about DH18!

baz - "Strip facing down"  too funny!

karen - Sorry about your bird nest  :(  That is a good idea about the fencing.

Phyl - Nooo, don't have to give Misty back.  When I give kitties to them, Misty will "officially" become mine.  I can then take her microchip number and register it to me. Great pics of your BB's.

clynn - Cute Bella day pics, looks like so much fun!  That is nice that Dianna let Kelsey pick out some of Kay's things. 

karengramke

« Reply #4505 on: May 04, 2023, 08:35:29 AM »

Beakers, i think I just read that D36 has died,  there-was a rather long article in small print which . I did not read.  Bless his heart, he  was 3 years old when and wore that dang camera the whole time.  Rip baby and fly free.
Baby was hit by a car while eating road kill!

Good for Kelsey picking out some of Kays things.  Bella sure can spin!  Dress and hair flying!
Sheis gtowing some longshapely legs!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:58:38 AM by karengramke »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #4506 on: May 04, 2023, 10:34:42 AM »

KAREN   You are definitely right about the longer growing season for you.  Didn't think of that.  Perfect idea about the nesting platform.

CLYNN   How nice to let Kelsey have some memories of Kay.  Eases the loss a bit.  Boy, that's a lot of trash.  Love that first pic of Bella.  :)  Perfect day for the park.  ;D   Hope you don't have to haul the 16 bags of potting soil  LOLOL    Love those 3 ladies - glad we can laugh at ourselves  ;) ;)
What an amazing close up of the pileated's feathers.  WOW

LISA  Perfect AM pic. :)

KAREN   Here is the announcement - How very sad.

We are beyond sorry to announce that bald eagle D36 has died. Bald eagles die and this isn't the first time we've had to announce it. But this feels especially tragic. For almost the first time since we started tracking eaglets from Decorah back in 2011, we won't be following one. We started tracking them to answer one of the most common questions that followers asked: 'Where do the Decorah Eagles go?'. They taught us a whole lot about their lives and deaths in the twelve years that we tracked eight of them.
D36 was eating road kill when he was hit by a car and died. Take it easy and watch for animals and roadkill. We don't know the exact circumstances of D36's death, but slowing down helps keep everyone safe and might have saved D36's life.
D36 hatched on April 8, 2020, fledged on June 21, and was fitted with a transmitter in July. During the lockdown, millions of people watched him and took solace in the little eagle family, high in a tree and safe from the human pandemic. He had far more aunties and uncles than he would ever know and we'll miss tracking him. He is survived by parents Mom and DM2 and preceded in death by sister D35, who died of lead poisoning in January of 2021.
I'll be uploading his final data tomorrow. If you'd like to explore the travels of any of the eagles we've tracked, go to https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/eagle-map/.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:38:18 AM by tsk34 »
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #4507 on: May 04, 2023, 12:01:28 PM »

Thanks tsk!  I can read this! 

A few weeks ago I was referred to a dermatologist and the appointment was made for November!  I am  going this afternoon at 2 thirty.  Yea

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #4508 on: May 04, 2023, 01:30:35 PM »

KAREN   I know..  Used to be able to call for the yearly mammogram and have an appt within a week - Now they are booking out a month!!  Yesterday just scheduled my yearly eye exam for First week of June just to make sure as I will need another change in my prescription. When I'm done typing I make everything a larger font.

4 more windows and screens to go and will be done for today.  Leaving main bedroom for tomorrow.  Exterior windows guy is coming tomorrow and I can scratch that yearly job off the list! ;D
Chicagoland

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #4509 on: May 04, 2023, 03:00:43 PM »

some bounce
Aw... Poor D36
Sorry to complain but 75 degrees isn't my cup of tea when working in the garden. Oh well.. it will be cooler the next couple of days.
TSK... You can come over anytime. We have lots of windows. Lol
TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

LisaG1967

« Reply #4510 on: May 04, 2023, 03:23:23 PM »

karen & tsk - Such a shame that D36 was hit by a car, just getting a meal! 

tsk - Thanks on the AM pic.  :)  Sounds like you have been busy again today. 

tig - Yes, 75 is too hot to garden!

Please tell me if you all are sick of me and the kitty pics!  But, these two seem much more ahead of the rest of the kitties!

karengramke

« Reply #4511 on: May 04, 2023, 03:34:24 PM »

Tig, I think 75 degrees is perfect!

As I was getting ready to go to the dermatologist. I used the potty.  Handle snapped and potty would not work!  Called plumber from the car while enroute.  They had be in their records  from a week ago with notation that I was handicapped.  She said call when you get out of the office.  They arrived 10 minutes after we arrived.  Problem is he had to go to Lowes for a flapper!  I said to the woman, handle broke of and I need all new insides. American standard.  Wonder who did not listen, the lady in the office or the plumber!  My guess is the latter.  Now we wait!  Plumber back!,  really good service and it is roto rooter,
Tsk, that is a bouganvila in your early picture.  Think I spelled that wrong!

Puff

« Reply #4512 on: May 04, 2023, 03:43:24 PM »

LisaG  I for one will take all the kittie pics you want to show!

Too bad you're about 1000 miles too faraway. :'(   I'd even wait 10/12 weeks.

P

Puff

« Reply #4513 on: May 04, 2023, 04:02:28 PM »

Don't even know why that reminded me. . .

I once met a lady on a flight from Barrow, Alaska to Anchorage.  Traveling with a tiny kitty in a case.  That must be what jarred my brain.  Anyway, since she was going anyway, she was doing a favor for a neighbor - taking kitty to vet in Anchorage having something checked out.  I thought at the time "they know a lot about dogs but not cats."  Not a lot of vets in Alaska; not a lot of anything in Barrow.  Beautiful trip to do, highly recommend.

Bit of info - Barrow is the northern most city of USA.

Ever want a unique story - Fran Tate, had a PHD,  owned the Pepe's.  Pepe's north of the border, north of everything!   Great bio.  Used to show up for morning radio show in Chicago at Easter, dressed as a bunny, did gifts to the kids in hospital.

P

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #4514 on: May 04, 2023, 04:09:13 PM »

TIG     You know - 15 years ago when we bought this house I could do the whole house windows in one day.  Now it takes me 3 days  LOLOL   I'll take 75 degrees to garden any day!!!  We had an absolutely gorgeous day today,  A goldfinch came to the birdbath for a drink.  First one this year.  Still no orioles or hummers.

LISA  The more pics the better.  Those two little gray tabbys are sooooo cute - now with some personality.  ;D

KAREN   Glad you got prompt plumber service despite the fact that the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing.  :o   Hope doc visit went well.
Chicagoland