Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 493104 times)

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #11055 on: November 10, 2023, 08:49:16 PM »

Happy Birthday to MpMom's Pete!

oldguy

« Reply #11056 on: November 10, 2023, 10:27:41 PM »

In the cold north, the original Dairy Queens were a small building with only walk-up windows - about enough room for 4 people inside.  Standard time frame in Iowa was to close in late October and reopen in April.  In the 80s, DQ added sandwiches to the menu and new stores were built with inside seating.  These stores stay open all year.

This article shows photos of old and new style stores...
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/iowa/oldest-operating-iconic-restaurant-ia/

The first DQ in Iowa City was destroyed by a tornado in 2006 - owners had to get special approval by the city to rebuild the store to look like the old one.  It is a little bigger to make room for the added menu items, but still had no inside seating.  This store site has been used by the Noon Optimist Club to sell X-mas trees from Thanksgiving to Christmas for over 50 years.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

BrokenLug

« Reply #11057 on: November 10, 2023, 10:31:37 PM »

We lost some veteran aviators and astounding astronauts this week.   :(

Ken Mattingly. I was very young when I shook his hand.  8)

Frank Borman. I was much older when I shook his hand.  8)

Both very steely eyed jets. 

I offer up a tune .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNqD9dsv_xo
U. S. A.

BrokenLug

« Reply #11058 on: November 10, 2023, 11:46:50 PM »

I took a blood oath many many moons ago to take in Ralph from his owner of 25 years.

Kenny.  :-*

A Naval Veteran.
I did not take this undertaking lightly.

5 years on Ralph is best friends with the llamas and the llamas him.

The interaction _ It's a riot.  ;D
U. S. A.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #11059 on: November 11, 2023, 12:01:16 AM »

Clynn, Bella looks so adorable and grownup! Seeing her in front of that door reminds me how small she looked just a few short years ago, waiting for her grandma and standing there with her dog Gunnar. Both looking out the glass door for you.  :-* ... A fun Thanksgiving trip for the kids! ... I'm super good at those things too! I did 1,2,4, & 5 today!  ;D

Phyl, Thanks for RRP blog, a sweet pic of HM/HD huddled together. I wish them well on their new adventure.... don't think me strange, but I do love today's nature video. Winter's coming, time to snuggle indoors and let nature give itself a rest! ... yummy baked cranberry brie bread bowl!

Tsk, Looks like Lulu is good at her job! She is a beauty.... yes, it was my women's ed. organization.. Bylaws discussion  ::) ... I never knew a DQ would shut down for the winter.

Kb, I love listening to the violin, beautiful song.

Oldguy, Terrible situation for the Grindavik residents. I didn't know DQs would close in the winter. Not here or in Kansas.

Baz, We had a nice visit and Mike loves the cozys!  ;D ... You're doing a great job with your walks!

Eagles, your pet sitting with the tortoise again! Happy shopping and safe travels. I have a Celebration of Life to go to on Tuesday.

BL, {{{Ken Mattingly, Frank Borman}}} and {{{Ralph}}}

Good night!

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Eaglesrock, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Phyl and Jim, Baz, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Karen and Piper, Paulie, Eagle's mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Tig, Puff, Jicaji, Lori and her grandma Clute, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Tig, Puff, Tsk, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Tig's Zeus, Miss Maggie, Manaaki, UQ and the Royal Albatross fleet, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, and lost 2023 cubs, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all those like her, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #11060 on: November 11, 2023, 05:46:29 AM »

Wishing Everyone a blessed Veterans Day...

Remembering those service members from my family:

Grandpa Denis, WWI US Army, France
Dad, WWII, US Army Air Corps ( now USAF) France, Germany, Italy
Uncle Robert WWII, USArmy, France and Germany; Korean War, Seoul (Yongdungpo) 
My brothers, Larry and Dan,  USAF Vietnam War, DaNang Air Base and Monkey Mountain; Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam
Uncle Paul, USAF  Vietnam ,DaNang Air Base
My husband Jim, USAF , Homestead AFB, Florida Cuban missile crisis
Jim's son John , USN, USS Ronald Reagan, Afghanistan
Cousin Karen, USAF, The Pentagon, Desert Storm
And...Mari ( my former preschool student)  US Army, Intelligence, The Pentagon , 911 survivor
Dan's Air Force buddy, Larry H. USAF, Vietnam, Da Nang Air Base
Dan's Air Force buddy, Dave C. USAF, Vietnam, Da Nang Air Base and Chu Lai. 

And, most certainly to all those who've served and continue  in your sacrifice. God bless you and your families, keeping you safe until you're home again. 

In Flanders Fields

« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 04:22:40 PM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #11061 on: November 11, 2023, 05:54:43 AM »

Good Morning Everyone...Happy Caturday !   

Currently 43F  mostly clear with   High  64F,  Low 41 F  clear skies.

Lani nope

BL {{{Ken Mattingly, Frank Borman}}} and {{{Ralph}}}

🙏 's  for LB in Cheers  recovering from her knee replacement surgery this Tuesday.

Prayers for:   Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people. All abandoned, abused  cats and feral cats; My  Alter prayer list
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere . The Beakroom and Cheers.

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

#IstandwithEvan

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #11063 on: November 11, 2023, 06:48:24 AM »

Veteran's Day - Thank you Veterans!

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #11064 on: November 11, 2023, 07:45:29 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!  CATURDAY!  VETERAN'S DAY!

Phyl, that 365 is MN but it reminds me of IA, windy! 34 now, high 54 today. 66 tomorrow! Yay!  Love those cats, the fabric cats look just like the real one!  You certainly have a lot of Veterans in your family! My first husband served three terms in Viet Nam, so he was probably about the same age as your brothers, he passed away last year , Agent Orange issues. Love your good night picture!

Lani, I am glad to hear that you scored well on the list!  ;D ;D Yes, Bella is growing up! I remember that picture, I love it! We went to Cracker Barrel for Ed's Birthday last night, and then to our house for brownies and ice cream (Ed's favorite)!  Bella found a sheet of tattoos Ed had brought home and of course, Grandma applied the tattoo.  ;D  She said she is learning letters in school, she already knew most of them!  Hope you had a good evening with Shannon and the Cozies! I can smell the onions now!
  SALINA, KS / SINCE 1922   https://www.cozyburger.com/stories

BL, bless you for taking Ralph in, Kenny is smiling upon you from up above...

oldguy, oh that volcano, I hope Grindavik is spared! I remember when Dairy Queens only served from the window, ice cream and cold drinks. It was always kind of sad when they closed for the winter, and we couldn't hide our excitement when they opened up in late spring!

E4E, now is the time when I add Kohl's on my list of stores to never go to on the weekends or evenings close to Christmas! Also Walmart and Target!  It's nice to be retired and be able to go in the mornings!

Lisa, glad to hear Jeff's computer update was successful! When mine was glitchy earlier this year I had the update. The first day it was all day at the shop (Ford) and the update failed, the second time it updated, but didn't fix the glitchy issue. Turned out is was the whole 'thing' that needed replaced, and just in the nick of time before the extended warranty ended!

tsk, I am picturing you trying to hide your Dairy Queen goodies... ;D ;D ;D

When the vacuum cleaner is running 🤣

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #11065 on: November 11, 2023, 07:57:13 AM »

GOOD MORNING

KAREN  This is a small DQ with limited seating.  The one on our way to Door county, I remember closing as well.  We have 2 other ice cream shops that also close but the Oberweiss in town is always open.  ;D

EAGLES  It's possible the owners of the DQ leave the area.  I don't know. But when there is a foot of snow on the ground I'm sure the business loses money.  They are actually staying open longer that they used to and opening a week or so earlier these days.  Their little shop on the corner does a gold mine of a business.  I also went to Kohls but 3 cash registers were open ( this is one of the smaller Kohls) and I waited maybe 5 minutes.   I remember when you had that pet sitting job before  LOLOL  Lots of diets to keep track of.

OLDGUY    Thanks for that backround on DQ!!!  Ours added seating only when the small store attached to it went out of business - maybe 5 or 6 years ago now.  Most people take out.

BL   How did you happen to meet Frank Borman??   Yes a big commitment to care for a Grey  So kind of you.

PHYL   You have quite a military family.  Thanks to all of them.

CLYNN   As always thanks for posting the Veteran's collages.   Wow  three terms in Vietnam - heroic.   Bella is a smart little girl.  :)    Agree about store shopping when the doors open.  I'm doing much more on line now except for clothes. One set of "greats" send me the link on Amazon for what they want -  :o    Lulu also runs when the vacuum comes out and watches from a distance
Chicagoland

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #11066 on: November 11, 2023, 08:06:19 AM »

No bounce
Thanx Clynn... And remember Veterans Day

Well. We parked across the street from the concert venue. Things went downhill from there. Following signage and directions from temporary staff led us to LONG unnecessary walking and struggling down several flights of stairs. Our floor seats were hard skinny chairs all zip tied together. When Stevie nicks came out almost everyone on the floor stood. For the 1.5 hr. set!!! And they continued to get drunk. At intermission I had had enough.
The only good experience was with guest service who got a wheelchair for me. After Camper returned from his half hour trek to the restroom, the attendant wheeled me to the other side of the stadium up the elevator and then back to the other side again. Camper struggled to keep up due to his plantar fascia problem. We did stop to get some merch... then continued outside all the way to the corner, which was nice.
While waiting for Camper and during the trek to the elevator I did get to see and hear Billy Joel's first two songs. Sigh.The good news is we were home by 10 p.m. and grabbed a bite and some pain meds. Camper accepted the meds readily. He usually tries to go without.
Sorry for the long post. Lesson learned. We have sat on the floor seats before... James Taylor concert for one... it was fine. I guess I am old. Can't understand paying $$$ to stand.
HAGD all. We be resting.
Oh! It WAS pretty cool to be on the field the Vikings play on... SKOL!!!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 08:35:54 AM by camperstig »
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #11067 on: November 11, 2023, 08:38:43 AM »

Thank you to ALL who have served.

kbshcb

« Reply #11068 on: November 11, 2023, 09:57:45 AM »

Morning all, and Happy Veteran's Day.

Most of our DQ's close for the winter and have as long as I can remember. There are probably a few with indoor seating that don't, but not around here.

Well, Tig - you did give it the 'ol college try!..When people stand down there like forever doesn't it totally block your view as well?

I think the last concert we went to was Bruce Springsteen at excel energy center..Sat up in the tiered rows so not too bad. Melissa Etheridge at St. Kate's was awful..in that young people talked during the songs more than listened, same with James Taylor at the Target Center.
Have grown weary of these kinds of venues ever since.
Take care. I've recently developed plantar fasciitis as well. Did you say Camper had it on both feet?

Looking forward to a warm up starting tomorrow. Ollie and I got in a cold walk just now but it was therefore quiet and uneventful.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #11069 on: November 11, 2023, 10:12:08 AM »

Thank you Beakers, your family and friends for your service!
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Heroic Cats Who Served in the Military
https://www.rd.com/list/military-cats/

PHOTOS] Soldiers And Their Cats During World War I And II

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/photos-soldiers-and-their-cats-during-world-war-i-and-ii/ss-AA1jCQU2

« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 10:18:02 AM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander