Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 493115 times)

karengramke

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #8700 on: September 03, 2023, 08:57:39 AM »

Well kb, I will take your humidity of 60% over mine at 80!

Up early to the sound of chain saws!  The new neighbors next door are having all the pine trees in their yard cut down!  Some of the 14 or more in my yard can still hit their house!  These are the long leaf types that are like telephone poles with branches and needles at the top!  A friend of mine thought I was talking about the Christmas tree variety!   Any way , these neighbors are using a group out of Houston!  I am not sure about them!  Not on the internet!  Should take a few down here but will wait until this is over and hire a local business!  Worry about the birds and squirrels who nest in these trees.  Have a damaged red but to take out which is easy but the hummingbirds perch in it after eating so I will wait until they are gone to take it down!  Btw, I was thrilled to see that they survived the storm!
Tsk, i did not have much in the fridge that I had to throw out!  The freezer was a different story!  Will take a tax deduction on that, yard clean up cost screen replacement, etc.   the dead bird was in the yard.  A mocking bird, found by Piper.   I do nor know where it is at this time.  I guess the tree frog hopped in from the screen porch ehen the doors were open or, Piper brought it in.  I doubt that as she pointed it out to me but ignored it.  I gave is a proper water buriel?

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #8701 on: September 03, 2023, 10:03:09 AM »

Okay, I have wasted an hour Facebooking, and here is all I have to show for it...

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

karengramke

« Reply #8702 on: September 03, 2023, 10:36:59 AM »

Clynn, lololol!

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #8703 on: September 03, 2023, 10:51:26 AM »

Morning!

cloudy - chance of isolated shower - high of 72

Tsk - We last went to Hearst Castle in 2017 with my cousin & her hubby.  We tend to go every few years or so, as they have several different tours. Needless to say that Spring/Summer/Fall are best as the gardens are so beautiful!       Have you gotten to catch up with Barb and hear about the wedding? :)   Looks like your temp will be very warm today.

Phyl - Paul sounds like a gem in the family.  :)    You have been to places in CA that I have not made it to! ;D
Thank you for posting the critically endangered donkey article - the little one is such a cutie. :-*

Karen - So great to see your post!  So wonderful of the clean up crew, especially the Mother and her 3 sons - sounds like a great group of nice folks to help you.     Very happy to know you & Piper stayed safe.    Just read more of what you said;  wow, I didn't know you have lots of trees!  Amazing that the hummers that fly into the red tree survived!   Too bad about your food in the freezer. :(   Take care and don't overdo yourself.

Oldguy - Enjoy your day off today as you well deserve it! 8)   Good for you in the hands you won at card night!  I will go back to look at links. :)

Lani - You correctly guessed some of the pets that my neighbor has although no cat, they have a dog, rabbit, fish & huge outdoor turtle!  I always take their dog a little treat from here (but I have asked them if it is ok to do this, and they've said yes its fine)! ;)   I don't know if their turtle is a 'rock', but it is large; probably weighs between 30-40 lbs.      You & Mike have a wonderful weekend  8)

Kb - Pretty pic of the MN State Fair!  I listened to the weather report on our local tv and looks like MN could have record breaking heat today. ::)   Hope you, Chris and Ollie stay cool indoors.

Clynn - I have to be careful with my sciatica too.  Everything I do, I try to take care not to overdo my sciatica, lower back & hips. :-[ ::)    That is so wonderful that you have your sisters to do fun things whenever you can all get together! ;D
Love the pic at the Hamlet nest!   Thanks so much for posting James Taylor and Jimmy Buffett - great pic!!!   Just saw the tribute pic of JB - very nice.

LisaG - You & Jeff FB friends for 9 yrs!! ;D

Tig - Thinking of you and hope your soreness is a lil better.

Hi Puff, Bazi, Paulie, Lori  :)

All have a nice day - stay safe if traveling

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #8704 on: September 03, 2023, 11:11:52 AM »

some bounce
Tnx... Neck, shoulder, etc. some very minor twinges, left knee is more sore. Yes, resting today. Tennis, NASCAR, Twins.

Clynn... Thanx for the tribute by J.T. He is my favorite.
E4E... Hi. I've been flexing when up. Maybe tomorrow I'll do some more here at home since the Y will be closed.
TTFN

Oh... And... I'm reading a book by a MN author that has references to Raptors and Raptor Rehab. It is a page turner. A mystery. Maybe give it a try? I'm about 3/4 of the way through. Can't wait to find out who done it.  8) The Deep, Deep Snow, by Brian Freeman.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 11:16:35 AM by camperstig »
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

kbshcb

« Reply #8705 on: September 03, 2023, 11:43:07 AM »

Hi Eagles4 - yup record breaking temps today and tomorrow likely...about 100....that's why I had to leave earlier this am with Ollie...and a few blocks shorter...even with that he was tired/slowed down the last block or so before home.

sounds like a great book tig...I have about 4 on my kindle i have yet to read and reading a hard cover book at the moment....so I best get reading...but, I read more in the winter so they won't go to waste for sure.

My flag was dropped off yesterday..and the girl scout? and Mom were out there having a hard time finding the plug that covers the deep hole the flag sits in...I got down on my hands and knees and then the little girl did and she found it..It used to always be a job for the Boy Scouts but I think they've merged them now?..not sure.
I told her to tell them they need to dig a different hole for the flag about 6 inches further from my address marker pole with directional sign on top as the flag catches on it...at times tearing it....I go out there often to correct it...can't move the post nor directional sign, I tried..this time I noticed as soon as they put it up, it already had a tear in it, so now it catches even easier....

Will stay up till after Patriot Day...Sept. 11...hopefully they will do what I suggest before Veteran's Day or next year.

I thought about taking the flag out of it's hole, and bringing it up to my porch and hand sewing the tear at the border?....not sure if that's appropriate or not....too hot today but maybe next week.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 11:52:04 AM by kbshcb »

LisaG1967

« Reply #8706 on: September 03, 2023, 12:33:50 PM »

karen - Wow, you got alot of pines!  So sorry about the food in the freezer. 

clynn - Your hour spent on Facebook was a good one!  I particularly like the tax season one.  ;D ;D

E4E - Cute lil morning greeting.  We were FB friends longer, but we deleted each other to test something out, so it cut our friendship.  ;D  ::)

tig - Glad to hear that you are resting today.  Sounds like a good book. 

kb - Oh no, your flag getting hooked.

kbshcb

« Reply #8707 on: September 03, 2023, 12:44:31 PM »

Lisa - when the wind switches around to out of the North it won't happen....Tuesday night?...I've again corrected it, winds are out of the south.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8708 on: September 03, 2023, 01:28:01 PM »

KB   Very cool pic from drone of the Mn fair - so colorful at night and obviously well attended.  What city is that held in?   You're right - flag pole has to be moved!

CLYNN  I think we just created the "3's" linked to falls.  ;) ;)   NEFL  all set and up and running  :)   Beautiful reflection by James Taylor.  Nice phot of Jimmy B.   Jimmy at heaven's gate  LOL    Parallelograms  LOLOL

LISA   No wedding report today as Barb is tied up.  We are meeting for breakfast tomorrow. :D  She got down there Thurs afternoon and wedding was 6 PM Friday Her flight on Sat was 2:30 but the grooms Mom had a brunch - So her time was filled.  I texted her when she was waiting to get on the plane to ask if she was exhausted.  She answered - just tired of talking!!!  LOL  Barb is a very sociable person.

KAREN    " water burial"  LOLOL  Lots of outdoor work to be done but like you say can all wait til things settle down - Always scammers out there.

EAGLES - Will meet Barb for breakfast and get the scoop tomorrow.  What kind of dog do the neighbors have?  You are nice to do that for them.

TIG  Jotted down the name of the book - Thanks
Chicagoland

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8709 on: September 03, 2023, 01:29:24 PM »

Royal Albatross 9/2
It's the weekend & we have a few links to share
What to expect in September/October

https://doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/albatrosses/royal-albatross-toroa/royal-cam/what-to-expect/#Sept-Oct

& when it starts to get a little quiet you can checkout the YT Royalcam playlist
https://youtube.com/watch?v=0VccrYCx9xw&list=PLXJZ8Lf9KIx6iS2ncZFMv_-8H5svLN97H

Quarry chick thought she could walk by Manaaki & his nest...  ;D it's fun watching them!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1697870850438123743

9/2 
A good start to the weekend for Manaaki.
Mum L with brunch and Dad GLY with an early dinner.
Quarry chick dropped in to watch Mum and Manaaki.  ;D

https://twitter.com/i/status/1697897466564419994

Manaaki's back to cam and Quarry Chick facing him and showing off his wings! Manaaki could care less!   ;D
https://twitter.com/i/status/1696767810184339784

Happy Sunday Beakers!
Hi Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Kb, I've repaired our flags before, I never thought to ask if it was okay or not. Maybe I should have. Glad you have your flag up, oh I see why you're thinking about moving it...  take care and enjoy your book this warm weekend.

Eagles, I missed a rabbit! That's a big turtle, my neighbor's is about 10 lbs and growing. My sciatica bothers me if I sit too long in one spot or long car rides. Then I get this shooting pain from knee to lower back that gribs me for awhile. I prefer traveling by car then by plane. I haven't been on a plane since 2003. Mike's doing his end of the month work/travel expenses today. You and Kris have a good day  8)

Tig, thanks for book recommendation! Rest and enjoy game day on the screen and your good book.

Karen, you have a lot more trees than I thought... sorry about the freezer food... glad the hummingbirds made it through the storm.  :)

{{{Lisa and Jeff}}} Congratulations, 9 years of friendship! ;D

Clynn, I would never try that on Mike. LOL!...  Well in giving it more thought, I think I did that back when we lived in Scottsdale and he came home after a dust/rain storm went over a job he was doing in Buckeye. What he mess, he had raccoon eyes. I don't think I allowed him out of the garage, and gave him a swim towel. I know when he was working with his brother with their road asphalt/milling paving, he would come home with oil and tar all over him. Some clothes I could clean, sometimes I just threw it away after a job.... Hawkeyes/Cyclones in your family. Our family was split as well Kansas Jayhawks and Mike's mom/dad/granddad were K-state Wildcats. A fun rivalry. I miss those days.  :)... Samson's sticks  :-\ :'( the NEFL nest no longer holds  the same meaning for me, but I'm glad both eagles came through the storm fine .... a very nice tribute to JB by JT.... a well spent hour on FB! LOL!!! ... take care  :-*

Kb, the drone pic would be a great puzzle!  ;D

Tsk, except they allow their turtle to roam their home during awake time and it pottys where it wants to.  :-\. Their cats get along with it  :)

Phyl, Gorgeous donkey, I hope they will continue to thrive and hopefully someday will no longer be considered endangered. I'll read your article later.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #8710 on: September 03, 2023, 01:31:25 PM »

tsk - Falcon Heights is the city the State fair of MN is held in...the largest State Fair in the US by attendance.
Falcon Heights is near the UofM Raptor Center and St. Paul...I used to drive through it on my way to the Raptor Center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_State_Fair

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8711 on: September 03, 2023, 01:39:54 PM »

LANI  I still think Manaaki and Q chick are best friends  ;D  Oh NO - would not want to clean up after a turtle. :P

TIG   I thought Brian Freeman sounded familiar - I have read some books by him.  I've got your recommendation in my queue.

KB  thanks

Finally got to the Honey Bee story on Youtube.  My heart just goes out to those special needs kitties.  But it's owner is so wonderful to give it such a good life.
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #8712 on: September 03, 2023, 03:38:12 PM »

For those who don't know, Gabby and V3 have returned to the NE Florida nest.!.....
I am anxiously waiting for Mr. and Mrs. Tower as well this month.

It's now a 104 "feels like" so not expectint the Tower's until it's much cooler.

It's now 101 temp with 107 "feels like".....good times ;) ;)

Thing is our geography is not the desert!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 04:47:10 PM by kbshcb »

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #8713 on: September 03, 2023, 05:07:04 PM »

Tsk you know I search for the original link for 'Blind Kitty' as I found it on Pinterest ... know for some reason no one here can open a Pinterest link.
C'est ma faut. Je surppose' . Je n’ai pas vérifié le lien Internet. I went back to check and I can't open the BoardPanda link either.   Lunch getogether sounds great good time to get the skinny on the wedding.  :)

Karen ditto Tsk query, on food in fridge.  Oh, just saw your answer.  Suspect the wind blew the frog around and it took shelter anywhere it could 'squeeze' in. So sad about all
those evergreens and the critter that live in them. You know, if your trees hang over the fence between you and your neighbors---they can trim what hangs
over on their side.  :(  At least the last I heard.  Also not only a tax deduction on spoiled food but insurance claim if over you deductable.  Keep receipts when you replace.

KB very pretty  drone photo of your Minnesota State Fair; sure hope Mr & Mrs Tower return I've enjoyed hearing about them.   Personally, I just let them tatter and then send off to  'Stars For Our Troops Inc."   They  cut the embroidered stars out and mount on small cards with an inscription saying the tire/worn flag has flown other the United States etc... The rest of the flag is incinerated according to government etiquette, etc.  US Flag rules: https://www.bing.com/search?q=us+flag+rules+and+regulations&qs=AS&pq=us+flag+rule&sk=AS2&sc=10-12&cvid=56F79B2F853140B586918549965669CF&FORM=CHRDEF&sp=3&lq=0 But each to his or her own.  ;)

CLynn I too LOL'd the name African Wild Ass. Indeed a lovely donkey!  Okay some helmets need captions I don't know al the teams.LOL 
    Mom /GrandMa always said 'things' come in threes'. Albeit bad or good.   And, "things never happen the same way twice.'   Appreciate the update on
    Romeo/Juliet and the JT and JB story and all. Interesting/great photo to them

Lisa Congrats on the '9 year Friendship with Jeff" 

CLynn band on with the  "If you...thank..." image. LOL Jimmy Buffet and St Peter. Great trib photo of JB too.

E4E but  you live in Cali---odds I'll never be able to return there. Although I'd love to see the ghost town my home town has become. It'll make me cry
           That's okay though.  :-[

Tig relieve to know  you're taking the day easy. Author Brian Freeman sounds familiar. I have a stack of mags a foot high and research to do before I
        can read anything else.   :P

Lani tks for the Royal update---LOL Q-chick and  Manaaki  t'was fun viewing. 'Zebra legged' donkey is short article. Really nice video too.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 12:20:00 AM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #8714 on: September 03, 2023, 05:23:58 PM »

Sending  everyone a 'Good  Evening' and SEDs .   
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan