Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470897 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #9870 on: October 06, 2023, 06:41:08 AM »

I  got lucky and snapped this...

Mississippi River Flyway
Oct 6, 2023 6:36 AM
Camera Time: Oct 6, 2023 6:36 AM CDT
Birchwoman

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9871 on: October 06, 2023, 07:26:19 AM »

Hi EVERYONE

50 degrees this AM  :o :o

LISA   Applesauce turned out good. :)  Will go to Farmer's market tomorrow and get more apples.  ;)  So I take it the kidney stone did not pass?

T40   It was a good story  ;) ;)

CLYNN   What a bizarre incident for Ed.  It's disheartening to not have a diagnosis.   My friend in Florida whose husband died about 6 weeks ago - they could not find out why he died - Some infection they could not track down. They were still running cultures after the fact.  I must ask her the next time we speak.    Wow  Look at all those swallowtails on the parsley  :o

PHYL   365 - the shadows are alive  :)     Flyway beautiful  :o

Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #9872 on: October 06, 2023, 08:21:28 AM »

Sad, but the message to me is profound...we should never forget...

“Yesterday I witnessed something that took my breath away. I heard a sound at the window of the cottage. When I looked, a cedar waxwing had hit the window and fallen to the deck. It’s mate stood beside it. It was clear that the fallen bird was dead. I turned away for a moment and when I looked again, it’s mate had hopped over. It lay down beside its partner, their heads touching. It closed its eyes and passed over to Spirit with its mate. The sadness and beauty of the moment was such a privilege to witness. If anyone has ever doubted that animals feel emotion and love, this moment was absolute proof of both. Nature truly has much to teach us.”
Credit Janis Mirynech

and, to lighten the mood:...cats are weird.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1709821172265701654

Morning all...drizzly and cold here.....I gotta get a move on getting ready for winter!..busiest time matched only by spring!
Credit Janis Mirynech

LisaG1967

« Reply #9873 on: October 06, 2023, 08:36:52 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Morning kb, Puff, karen, tig and all  :)

tsk - Glad the applesauce came out good.  I want to try and make that one day.  He is still in some pain, but he said, not as painful as it was yesterday.  He does not think he passed it, tho.   

Phyl - Loved that sunrise from Flyway.  Thanks for the 365!  Hope Jim gets to talk to that adjuster and gets everything straight.

clynn - When I grew parsley a few years ago, mine looked just like that with all the Swallowtails on it.  I had no clue what they were, and freaked out!  ;D  I love that pic of, "Somewhere in Iowa tonight".

Lani - Jeff didn't go to doctors, and he probably won't go today.  He says, he is still in pain, but it is more tolerable today.  He was miserable yesterday.  Love the good night pics from Brook Falls.

E4E - Thanks for the {{{ }}} for Jeff.  :)

T40 - Thanks for the articles on Dave K helping the owl out of the soccer net.

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #9874 on: October 06, 2023, 08:40:21 AM »

our heat wave continues;  currently 63 - high of 96

Lani - my RRP sweatshirt is gray  :)   Great pics last 'nite'  :)

Tig  :)

Phyl - Oh no - so sorry, I know it is Kb who mentioned Maria, so it was a bad mistake I wrote that post to you - my bad  :o ::)    Pretty photo out at MS River Flyway!  Thanks for Nature.

Clynn - Much cooler for you today than your 93 on Tuesday!   Like the SWFL nest - season 12!   Those caterpillars are different than any I've ever seen - cute tho! :)

Tsk - Cute gif this morning!

Kb - Awe, sad story, but thank you for that - Nature is truly amazing, especially their feelings for their mate.    Lol-cats!

Beakers have a nice day  :)

Phyl

« Reply #9875 on: October 06, 2023, 10:03:58 AM »

Dear E4E  Very nice AM greeting for today.   Don't beat yourself up over a typo. I just didn't want you think it was me. 

CLynn looked up Conch meat---comes from an over sized sea snail. Right there I have to stop. Any way it's fried to really crispy and put on a hamburger bun, etc.
I wager it was all that oil and being over used thus 'dirty'.   Plus , humans aren't suppose to eat everything  put on this planet. IMHO
Cool snap of the Black Swallowtail Caterpillars .
  Tks for SWFL nest photo looks like it might be ready for a family. Wow! Number 12. Here's to success---for all our nests.

Tsk I bet your apple sauce is delish---never had homemade. Enjoyed  the AM greeting today. I'm slowly getting to Halloween.
 Among others on the holiday viewing roster is AG's 'Hallowe'en Party' w/ David Suchet. Maybe watch tonight.  Also have on our list "The Others' w/ Nicole Kidman
We don't watch horror---not what Halloween is about.

Lisa  {{{Jeff}}  Glad he's doing some better. Get well soon!    Jim makes me fret!  He's so lack-a-daisical.  And, slower than molasses out the bottle! 

KB I've never doubted that the fauna can feel as humans feel. Such a sad story---a real 'love story'.  LOL cat video--that tail is good for more than balancing!

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #9876 on: October 06, 2023, 10:17:53 AM »

https://lovefoodies.com/easy-breezy-pumpkin-dump-cake/

There's like a zillion recipes for Pumpkin Dump Cake
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 10:20:54 AM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

LisaG1967

« Reply #9877 on: October 06, 2023, 10:37:57 AM »

Phyl - Mmm, that dump cake looks good. 

E4E - Oh my, you are having a heatwave! 

kb - Awww, sad story about the cedar waxwings.   :'(  Weird cats...LOL

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #9878 on: October 06, 2023, 11:31:00 AM »

TGIF Beakers!
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Eagles, I think I will get a shirt too.... Mike's coming home today. His plane lands at 10:30am!  ;D .... Sadie will be all wiggle butt when she sees her dad! Sorry about your warm temps. It's been lovely here... lows in high 40's in the morning to low 80's during the day. Are you still getting any smoke from the fires? Depending on the wind, we get smoke from the Valentine Fire just 27 miles away.

Lisa, my good pics were events that was happening in a ten minute time period last night. The river is running low right now. The eagle was able to get his catch with no trouble and enjoy his dinner with no trouble.... {{{Jeff}}} I hope he feels better soon, but I hope he doesn't need to make an Urgent Care trip this weekend.

Kb, what a heartbreaking story, a true love to the end.  :'( ... it's rare to see a Cedar waxwing here, but when I do, I can't stop watching these beautiful birds... cute cat, but I'm still very sad about the birds.  :'(

Tsk, I'm sorry for your friends loss, I hope they will be able to find a diagnosis. It might help others find answers too.

Phyl, beautiful sunrise.... thanks for nature vid.... I guess you've never watched "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" on the Travel Channel. LOL! I had to eat conch meat when I was young. I didn't like it. When you live in a diverse community such as the Bahamas or Hawaii and you're poor you eat what you can afford and what your mother puts in front of you.  I hated liver, but it was the cheapest thing. UGH! Both my girls have never had to have either, but then Shannon wouldn't touch anything from the ocean or lake if her life depended on it. LOL!... YUMMY pumpkin cake recipe. Now that's something I wouldn't say no to.

Clynn, I never liked conch meat either, especially in a burger, but I was made to eat it when I was young. Mother liked abalone, octopus too, so we had to eat that. It's like eating rubber that is still wiggling....but, when you are poor you eat what's put in front of you. I just soaked it in shoyu to add flavor  :-\ ...  Thank goodness, my grandparents never made me eat it. It was enough that grandpa made sure I ate my veggies, especially eggplant  :-X . When I think what I had to eat as a child, no wonder I was a skinny boney thing. Maybe I should go back to that, too much cheese and carbs, also the glass of wine doesn't help. LOL!  .... I watched every Mickey Mouse Club show with her. Followed her on Spin and Marty. I never missed seeing her on various tv shows before the Beach movies... it'll be awhile before GSB has any babies. But that owl will need to move or sadly another female will be lost again.... great crib rails on the SWFL nest... your poor parsley.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 12:50:01 PM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

« Reply #9879 on: October 06, 2023, 11:56:52 AM »

Here are the results of today's voting---thus far:

Match 5
 32  Chunk  18,259  Vs    806 Spring Cub 8,294

Match 6
901   16,531   Vs.   480 Otis    8939

#IstandwithEvan

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #9880 on: October 06, 2023, 12:22:35 PM »

Howdy Beakers!  :D

Lisa, ((Jeff)) - I know you're a good nurse! I hope Jeff doesn't have a kidney stone, or kidney colic. I've been through both of those a couple times - sooo painful! It could possibly be his gall bladder - either gall stones or gall bladder infection? That's common in that age group. If it isn't lots better, or completely gone soon, I hope he will see the doctor for a diagnosis since any of those conditions can lead to more serious and acute problems. Meanwhile, I hope he can find a way to get more comfortable. (((Jeff)))

Phyl, I hope Jim can get up with the insurance adjuster soon. Pretty sunrise at The Flyway!

Clynn, wow on that Hoyt Sherman Place! It looks kind of institutional on the outside.  ;)  Yes, Zippo is in a lovey-dovey-I-love-my-mommy mode lately.  ;) :-*  She has been begging to be near, or on me, or kiss-kissing a lot recently!  ;D ;D I've been giving her lots of extra special gentle loving attention recently - she's so geriatric. And I think sometimes her limited vision (cataracts) makes her seek regular assurance from me, though she seems to be doing really well all-in-all lately, and stays pretty active, especially with her play area on top of her cage, where she loves to arrange pieces and parts of her "nest" - small rope and knotted cotton fabric strips that she "softens" and weaves in, and moves around. LOL. And she sometimes admonishes me if I decide to re-arrange it. Makes me think of Mom Decorah, and also of SWFL's Harriet - I would not want a sidekick. LOL. Sweet Harriet, wherever she is, I hope she's safe.  :-*  Is that your sweet Honey in the picture of the tabby on top of the laptop?  :-*  Wow on Ed's "affliction" during your honeymoon! That's awful! Glad it was at least short-lived. I shared your Scare the New Generation funny with my sisters.  I love conch!! Conch fritters are yum! I used to buy fresh conch and prepare conch salad after learning how from the cook at an Italian restaurant where I would go just for their conch salad! Never had a conch burger!  ;D ;D

Lani, like Aly, I did most things left-handed, but I played most sports right-handed, too - except for tennis was always lefthanded. I batted right and left-handed about equally! Golf was alwaysrighthanded, kicking and ball-throwing was lefthanded, catching balls was best lefthanded, but sometimes righthanded. I could only use scissors righthanded, and was totally inept with them in my left hand. LOL. Go figure. LOL. Lefties in a righthanded world makes for a mix, I think. It sounds like Aly used a mix of "handedness" too.  :D I love your Brooks Falls pics! LOL, Sadie's a wigglebutt for Mike coming home! I can just envision that!  ;D ;D :-*

KB, that sad Cedar Waxwing story and pic totally brought me down. It hurt my heart, and I wish I had not seen it.  :'( :'(

E4E, you really had a heat wave! I hope it's short-lived. The big cold front that has been moving across much of the country will arrive at my doorstep tomorrow night.

TSK, I agree about no diagnosis. It is disconcerting! I hope (((your friend))) will be able to find out more about what happened to her husband.  :(

Lani and Phyl, this morning, The Weather Channel did a more extended spot on the Katmai Bears and Fat Bear Week.  :-* They showed pics of several of the contenders - especially Grazer. LOL. And they did a pretty long, nice interview with a woman park ranger from Katmai Nat'l Park about the bears there, and Fat Bear Week's popularity. It was a really good interview!

Heading to the grocery store...
Later, Gators!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

kbshcb

« Reply #9881 on: October 06, 2023, 01:03:53 PM »

baz - are you saying you don't want me to post such things? or rather you are just sad?

I can't fathom pre-determing who will possibly be upset by anything I post.
It happens in our eagle world constantly for example.

I rather thought of what it's like to be married and the love between these birds.

Not sure what you are asking me to do or not....please clarify...I know text can be mis interpreted.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9882 on: October 06, 2023, 01:04:00 PM »

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9883 on: October 06, 2023, 01:09:43 PM »

KB   WOW  What a story about the cedar waxwings  :'(

EAGLES  We are in the 50's today Brrr  Drizzle just started.  Got most of my errands done so that is good and I'm dry  :D

LANI  AM dance lesson to get us all i the mood for today  ;)    I think I would be skinny too on that childhood diet you had.  Fat bear contest is so funny  ;) ;)

BAZI   Sounds like you could be definitely qualified as ambidextrous  ;) ;)  Interestingly on my friend's husband's death certificate he put Covid!

T40   Those funny photos were great - I'd be hard pressed to find a favorite
Chicagoland

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #9884 on: October 06, 2023, 02:27:46 PM »

Tsk, LOL! Well, it really comes down to the community we live in, doesn't it.... I didn't have my first lasagna until we stayed with Mike's parents for our first Christmas. And there was a potluck dinner to introduce me to the family. Everyone brought something, the lasagna was for the kids, but I had to try it...  Of Course, Mike had a steak. Mike's Pop made me my first eggs benedict with asparagus. Oh my, that sauce was so delicious, and I never had asparagus before either and being 4 months pregnant I thought I was in heaven! LOL! His parents were always feeding me. LOL!
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander