Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470676 times)

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #9270 on: September 19, 2023, 11:25:18 AM »

some bounce
KB... lol
E4E... nice
Well. One of the water heaters "died" this a.m. When I checked out and explained to the O.G. customer service woman about my trek last night and the cold shower, she offered one of their new coffee mugs to me. Nice folks. And she made certain our reservation was all set properly for next year.
BBL
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #9271 on: September 19, 2023, 11:33:17 AM »

BF Otis, you have 999 viewers rooting for you this morning!  :-*

Otis in the office against the wall and 903 fishing in jacuzzi of Brooks Falls posted an hour ago.

Otis Fishing Report UPDATE for September 18, 2023: Otis was (probably) snoozling up a storm up above the Falls when we left off reporting last night.

About 4 hours after leaving the Falls by way of the Fish Ladder -- around 5:00 p.m. -- Otis returns across the top of the Falls, and we recall this is the one place we don't see him fishing -- the Lip. If this were 128 Grazer, you know darned well she'd have bolted right there to the edge to catch that lone jumping fish! But not our boy -- he's just a tad bit too far back. ;) He does pause an instant later, as though sniffing that flashy fishy fish, approaches the Lip for an instant, and then thinks I'd rather pace myself than spoot over the Falls (as many of us similar in age would).

Otis confidently returns the way he left -- Down the Fish Ladder -- as captured by Blair-55 in this Brooks Falls cam GIF. Some chatters noted they hadn't seen this behavior by Otis before, and because some other chatters noted the same in 2022, we started tracking it. :) In 2022, we saw Otis leave and return via the Fish Ladder 9 times. For 2023, this is trip up and down number 3.
He sniffs the air, assesses the Falls situation and walks toward the Near Bank. He heads up Riffles and Down River.

It's more than an hour later when we pick up Otis dining on DOAs in the late day sun at the Lower River. He meanders about and enjoys the lovely evening of cool breezes, cold water, and not-so-fresh salmon, and he does so mostly off cams. And a half hour after that snap, Otis is strolling down the Riffles again, like an easy breezy walk around the block.

Side Note: In photography, we refer to the time when the sun is at a certain angle at dusk and dawn as the Golden Hour. It takes what could be an ordinary photo and makes it magical! Whether shooting people or nature or model homes, photographers have been known to go out of their way to set up a perfect Golden Hour shot.

At Brooks Falls, every bear looks fabulous during the Golden Hour, but (and we *may* be a wee bit biased), we think this beautiful hunk of bear -- Golden Otis -- looks extraordinary. ♥

Otis hangs out there on the Sandbar and eats several scrappy pieces of DOA, including the Fan Favorite Hand Balancing Scraps. After having his fill at the Salmon Scrap Bar, Otis wanders toward the Far Bank. He Meander Fishes with Alice (sort of) leading the way for a few minutes. And then he turns on his heels and heads back toward the Riffles as though on a mission -- ain't much Meander in his steps. He ishugging the Far Bank, but Otis is With Purpose. And then we see the reason. It's time for snoozles (and we know how Otis loves his snoozle time!), as he heads up the Far Bank via a hidden path nearer the Riffles than the Falls. His bulky self is mostly obscured by the foliage, but what we can see indicates Otis is as spry as a spring cub popping his head out of the den for the first time!

We're totaling the fish count for September 18 at 1 Fish + 7 Scraps + 26 DOAs on cam.

We'll be catchin' up later while Otis is (hopefully) catchin' fish, and until then, sending Wishes for Fishes and, again, Fat Bear Poster votes! ♥ You can vote for as many posters as you wish with one vote per poster on Explore's voting page.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #9272 on: September 19, 2023, 12:03:27 PM »

Posting for Karen  ;D

Thank you!  :-*

‘Symbol of hope’: Lahaina’s beloved banyan shows new growth after fires
Community rallies to save colossal 150-year-old tree after Maui wildfires badly singed it last month

https://apple.news/AVBASIyKjT5qmEDt4yVdTjA

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

LisaG1967

« Reply #9273 on: September 19, 2023, 12:06:32 PM »

tsk - Gorgeous fall morning greeting!

Phyl - Thanks for kind words on morning greeting.  I went to Home Depot to look for some plant like that.  Didn't find anything.  My mums are already dying.  Oh, I think I might die if I don't have coffee  ;D ;D

clynn - Thanks for saying I live in a beautiful place.  It really is, but I like all that convenience.
That is a good pic of John and Julian. 

tig - Sorry about you having to climb those 32 stairs.  Safe trip home. 

E4E - Yes, has traveled the bridge for 29 years to work.  Love your VW camper van!

kb - Yay to you for getting up the courage to tackle the box.  :D

Lani - Lawd, that spider! Thanks for the bear study, and for the post on Otis!
I think we will have about 3 more years to decide on what to do.  Jeff wants to retire when he is 62.  At that age, he will have been with the state for 37 years.  I told him why not wait till 65, and make it an even 40!  He was like, NO!  :D

I finally got a call from the vet's office.  All of Bandit's blood work came back normal.  Thank god!  I was getting a lil worried. 

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9274 on: September 19, 2023, 12:43:59 PM »

Here's some good news from KAREN

https://apple.news/AVBASIyKjT5qmEDt4yVdTjA

OLDGUY  Loved that GS video  ;D

LANI  UQ may have a few more days to go yet  :-\   Funny story about the Hawaiian spider  LOL  Thanks for the bear report and the handsome family pic of Jani et al.  That is one horrific spider.  Ours really have no substance to them - That one I'd run  :o   Nice Otis report - Golden Hour  :)

KB  Sounds like you did a great job on the garage.  If you were to use that box again you would need to nail on a piece of plywood or the like so entry to the upside down box is secure.

((((CLYNN))))  Sleeping bag for camping  ;D ;D ;D ;D  That is so Tim as well.  Turtle prints in fresh driveway....

TIG  Safe trip home - don't get too  distracted by the eagles  LOL  I think they should have comped you a night . They have lots of repairs to do by your next visit..

EAGLES  that is one beautiful vehicle  WOW    Does Kris show it alot?

LISA   My guess - like we said before a whole change in Bandit's environment and routine for a while there.

It's been raining again most of the day - will check gauge later.
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #9275 on: September 19, 2023, 12:52:33 PM »

OK group - I have to try one more time,  bear with me.  Old lady thinks she permitted.

I refer back to what I said to Lani.  But it also has to do with many of the "what's the use" comments we post (nails).  I know, I've heard them, I've said them. 

Let me first talk about myself.  I started using my friend "the stick" about 2-3 years ago, but only when I had to.  I hate my friend BTW.  Airport transport-foreign travel-and foreign terminals came first, now occasionally big airports. 

Not one of my neighbors has recommended that I keep my home.  I have mostly decided to keep it still.  When outside in July I made one change when outside to do my yard stuff.  I couldn't breathe.  Took me too long to get to a place to sit and take a break, I tried not to panic, I tried to breathe.  I do carry a phone out with me, have for a while.  Soooo, I told myself "stupid, dial the damn 911."  3-4 minutes help was here, shoving tubes and air everwhere.  Took me away for a week's vacation.  Now I still have checkup calls from hosp and neighbors "because they really do care!!!!!!  When do smart people really decide Now Be Smart, do what's wise, accept the change, and that we must keep changing.  Three months it will be 80.  I don't want anyone to think they did something wrong if I was just stupid wrong. 

A year and half ago I lost my Tony.  I was sure he needed help.  He didn't want it brought up.  He never said no - he didn't come close to talking things over.  Ignored what he thought and what I thought.  Now I sit and talk to the TV and my forum friends.

Another sign of the way things go - You have all heard of my neighbor Michael, such a nice guy.  Helped Tony and me a lot, still is helping me.  Well, he had another motorcycle crunch while traveling with his buddies out east.  Had a not as bad one 3 years ago.  And, things started years ago when directing traffic, he was very seriously injured.  Told then to stop working and give up the bike.  He gave up working don'cha know.  I have to believe he's older and wiser.  First he mentioned his angel of a wife taking him through these days.  He says he owes her big time; she shouldn't have to go through things alone if something happens again to him again.  I believe if Ton had any idea of how things are going for me he would have been taking advise more readily. 

I know now why there's such short "thank you" when we are helped or offered good ideas.  We don't want to accept being human.  Just Saturday our small development of 15 houses had our block barbeque.  Good sign that the most newest of new neighbors came this year.  Bought house 2021, still unsettled 2022, made it this year.   Hello Adam and Kellie and Adam's son.  Rain stopped in time, didn't start again until things stored away, people walked home.  I needed help with big bowl of bruschetta pasta salad.  The husband came and carried it down the block - I had to carry me.  But when more had arrived too many times people offered to do or offered to get or made sure I was OK.  Which I nicely advised them "I admit I need help and ask and say please."  And I mean it sincerely.  I admit to them and I admit to myself.  It's easier and nicer result.

Other neighbor, other side, Peter called Sunday morning asking if he could stop by and change the lightbulbs kitchen fixture.  (He saw from his house cuz my higher level is above their main floor.  Who knew how much they were watching.  But he did know I wasn't allowed on ladders. Ahhh).

BTW I let Julie know that Michael did mention the possibility of him not replacing the Harley.  Told her so she can plan ahead for any discussion.

OK

P

kbshcb

« Reply #9276 on: September 19, 2023, 01:18:56 PM »

Eagles4 That is an absolutely beautiful 77' Westfalia VW camper van.
A true Cali ride.   8) 8) 8)

thanks, BL...I was envisioning having to get in there from the outside!.....duh...video was very helpful

kbshcb

« Reply #9277 on: September 19, 2023, 01:28:39 PM »

My favorite season thing: Sitting in my screened in porch, door to deck open though, reading a book with Ollie man keeping me safe!...Love just watching him during this quiet peaceful time with just the noises of nature...blue jays fighting?...chasing each other, wind blowing the now yellow leaves of my ash tree down to the ground, squirrels yapping and his ears moving like radar.....sun shining in on my face..can't get any better...got to take advantage of before the kids next door come home and winter bears down..
No computer or phone hanging with us.

Did my 5 hours early in the morning of tasks.

tsk - yes I understand, I will mouse proof before using it again!..thanks.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9278 on: September 19, 2023, 03:10:41 PM »

PUFF  It certainly is not easy to get old- partner or not.  And doing it gracefully is a real challenge.  Looks like you are conquering that end quite well.   :-*

KB  Enjoyed and am jealous of your idyllic porch time description.  No planes flying over as I thought you were fairly close to your airport?  There are 3 flight patterns now that go over Park Ridge.  I'm between 2 of them  :P
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #9279 on: September 19, 2023, 03:19:20 PM »

PUFF  It certainly is not easy to get old- partner or not.  And doing it gracefully is a real challenge.  Looks like you are conquering that end quite well.   :-*

KB  Enjoyed and am jealous of your idyllic porch time description.  No planes flying over as I thought you were fairly close to your airport?  There are 3 flight patterns now that go over Park Ridge.  I'm between 2 of them  :P

Not today!....I don't hear them every day by any means...depends on the winds and other factors...I'm probably 5 miles to the west of the airport?

karengramke

« Reply #9280 on: September 19, 2023, 03:55:49 PM »

Lani, more feel good reports on the bears!  I am concerned about uq though!  Wish his parents wouldstep up to the table with more food for him!   He is so cute and looks so lonely!

I am thrilled about the banyan tree!  Such good news and a sign of hope fore the towns rebirth.

Eagles,  beautiful van!   Has he sent a picture to vw?i imagine Kris had your Moms car in tip top shape before the sale!

Lisa, good news on Bandit!   There are many states that do not tax retirement and I guess that you want to stay close to Bradley and darling Sydney  I would not consider Florida!   There are many kinds of tax and they have to get money from someplace.  Property tax is high. Good luck in finding a place..

read a news article advising folks to leave Hummingbird feeders up through October in order to feed those who are migrating late!

Wonderful day today!  Great temps and clear blue skies!  Going back to 90 tho so summer is still with us!
Not too many commercial flights here but I do see the Air Force on occasion.

oldguy

« Reply #9281 on: September 19, 2023, 05:24:25 PM »

Hello Beakers -

Had some light rain from 3am to 9am this morning - .3 inches  -  it got to 80 this afternoon after the sun came out.

This video has probably made the rounds before, but it is a fun story...
The SR-71 "Buzzing the tower" story   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTJYNq4GQAE

E4E - that camper looks great...  came across this video late last night - Kris will love it...
Inside Comedian Gabriel Iglesias' $3 Million Volkswagen Bus Collection   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSr2DsZfKSw
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

LisaG1967

« Reply #9282 on: September 19, 2023, 05:34:49 PM »

tsk - Yep, I think you all were correct on the Bandit situation.   :D  How much rain did you get today?

Puff - It is good that you are asking for help.

kb - Sounds like you had a nice relaxing day.

karen - Thanks! Our property tax is very high here. 

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9283 on: September 19, 2023, 06:25:51 PM »

Pouring again now but I checked the gauge about 5 and it was 1/2"

KAREN    I read the same thing about leaving the hummer feeders up into Oct.  I just made a fresh batch yesterday as I did see 1 visitor.   I'd rather see the Air Force than commercial flights. :P

OLDGUY   the VW bus collection -  :o :o    Bet it helps to know Jay Leno too.   Great fly-by story - Had not seen that before  :o

LISA   It was 1/2" rain by late this afternoon and I thought it was done but it is pouring now.
Chicagoland

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #9284 on: September 19, 2023, 06:30:54 PM »

HAPPY DAY BEAKERS!  :)

Lani, what a spider! (((Golden Otis)))  :-* :-* :-* (((UQ chick)))  :-* :-* :-*  (((Jaci, Jethro, Jani)))  :-* :-* :-* (((Lahaina's regal Banyan tree)))  :-* :-* :-*

Karen, thanks for the Lahaina Banyan tree report.  :)

Oldguy, great cards! 3 for 3! Way to go!  :)

Lisa, glad for Bandit's good lab report!  :)

Clynn, maybe you should get all your camping gear out, put it next to the new sleeping bag he brought home, and tell Ed to have fun!  ;D ;)  How is your wrist/hand doing? Has it had time to completely recover from the grocery bag injury?

E4E, nice VW bus! That would be almost like "glamping," compared to Ed's green Army sleeping bag camping style!  ;)  ;) ;)

BL, good video of the VW bus that's similar to E4E's.

TSK, it certainly isn't easy to get old. I have the saying, "Getting old is not for sissies," at the ready these days.  ::) ;) :D  I bet your hummers sure are relieved when they see your full feeder.  :-*

HAVE A GOOD EVENING, BEAKERS. PEACE.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center