Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470574 times)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #7935 on: August 09, 2023, 11:13:20 AM »

Wildfires in Maui destroyed ‘Front Street’ in historic Lahaina.
According to authorities, people jumped into the ocean to escape the fire and smoke.
No word on injuries at this time.
Strong winds are fueling the blaze.

I have no words for this horrific fire. I'm in tears and memories of our honeymoon, our years spent there with
Mike's parents, family, and friends are streaming through my mind and heart.  :'(.
Prayers for all...    🙏🏼

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #7936 on: August 09, 2023, 11:44:39 AM »

8/9 Good Morning!  :-*
Hope you're planning an excellent lunch today. Take a tip from Iris for a healthy lunch.... Fish on a bed of greens. 😋
Have a "peachy🍑" day! (Don't want to forget dessert. 😆)

#BeAnIris :-*
#HellgateOsprey

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #7937 on: August 09, 2023, 11:46:42 AM »

Tig- pups are cute. Wondering the same as Karen-  Shih Tzu  or Yorkshire Terriers ?

Karen- good luck with Piper's spa day --she'll be pretty

KB- with all the other  limelights could be hard to tell it's not blooming. Very pretty back (?) yard and all.

Lani-thanks for Royal Albatross report, interesting bit about the GLS.  It is also what I  said earlier. This was in one of his few Tweets on Twitter about a year or so before his passing.    :)
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

kbshcb

« Reply #7938 on: August 09, 2023, 12:13:32 PM »

Yah!....all done....never knew how nice a simple thing like being able to flush tp is....LOL

I will need Andrew to build me a new ramp and probably some more dirt....I already texted him....as long as it's done before leaf drop season i can operate...My ash tree starts to drop in late August/September.

tsk - thanks...I really can't think of any of the reasons they give for non blooming except for our harsh winter. Except the other's did fine...It is near two trees, as are the others, but may need more water as my sprinkler sometimes hits the trunk of trees and may miss that one hydrangea?

Phyl - yes a tough one when it's the only one...I hope it's not dying.

Lani - I read about that fire early this am...and, it's so sad....I had a boyfriend many moons ago that loved Maui sp?....esp. for surfing.....he talked about it all the time.

I also read many articles in the last few months that up to 40-50 percent of all of our wildfires, including Canada, is man made...meaning careless campers and even arsonists....with in some areas over grown brush, high winds and heat a perfect set up.

I hope that isn't the case here.

Phyl

« Reply #7939 on: August 09, 2023, 12:20:36 PM »

To go with Lani's earlier post:

Wildfires burn historic Maui town of Lahaina, prompt evacuations across Hawaii
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/09/wildfires-burn-lahaina-maui-prompt-evacuations-across-hawaii.html

A wildfire burns on the island of Maui near an intersection in Lahaina, Hawaii, August 9, 2023.
Zeke Kalua | County Of Maui | via Reuters

#IstandwithEvan

LisaG1967

« Reply #7940 on: August 09, 2023, 12:25:03 PM »

Good Afternoon Beakers

Lani - Love Alan Rickman, he has played in some good movies.  Thanks for the Royal update.  That giraffe sheet in the pic is actually a wall hanging, or you can use it to lay baby on floor, which I see they did.

kb - Yard and flowers look really nice.  Glad the plumbing crew is there to fix your pipe.

E4E - I am trying to stay a lil busy.   :D

tig - Puppies are adorable!

karen - I literally laughed out loud at your comment about Iris! I am glad that you for your errands done yesterday. 

Phyl - Your dinner tonight...one of my favorites!  Great pics from the cams. 

clynn - Thanks so much!  Have a great day with the munchkins.  I hope I get to see my girl again, sometime soon!  Boulder kids look good. 

tsk - I love to see her with her eyes open.  At the moment, she has Bradley's color blueish-grey.

I need to tell you all about my Mama's trip home from the Miss Fisher Con...lol

She went to stay with her friend in Ohio after the Con just like last year.  Her return flight home was yesterday, and she flew out of Cincinnati. Her friend brings her to airport in plenty of time to go thru security, and for her to get something to eat.  She is all boarded on the plane, and it pulls away from the gate, and then she notices it is being pulled back.  The pilot comes on and says, the engine light is on.  She says, they let one lady on the plane, they call another lady up to the front of the plane, and then someone else asks if they can get off.  At this point, she is like this is very weird.  She is starting to panic cause she is afraid she will miss her connecting flight in Atlanta.  An hour later, they take off and get to Atlanta, which she missed that connecting flight there, and in Fort Lauderdale, FL.  So, she had to take a flight to Orlando, just to get back to New Orleans at 10:37pm last night.  She said, she was exhausted when she called me landed.  She is glad to be home. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 02:19:20 PM by LisaG1967 »

Phyl

« Reply #7941 on: August 09, 2023, 12:51:09 PM »

KB - I hope your limelight isn't dying either. However, from the photo it seems look healthy--small.
I agree on all the 'wildfires' being manmade i.e.. careless campers, arsonists, over grown flora.  When I was a
little girl in California desert---we always had the Smoky Bear PSAs " coming from LAs KTLA and New York's KNBC

Lisa-some return home for your mom.  Have you applied for a future  'babysitter' position? Alan Rickman has been a fave ever since I saw 'Truely, Madly, Deeply'.
       His   melodious voice.  :-*

#IstandwithEvan

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7942 on: August 09, 2023, 01:08:12 PM »

no bounce
(((Maui)))
Phyl... Yorkie
KB... Yay
Trying to get a few drops of rain here.. ?
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #7943 on: August 09, 2023, 01:55:09 PM »

tsk -- Lady Jane is Dad's fourth mate since Mom Norfolk's death.

On April 26, 2011, Mom Norfolk was struck and killed by a plane as she ate a fish on the end of a runway.  The next day the three eaglets were removed from the nest (and successfully released months later).

Dad Norfolk bonded with a female in September 2011 but she was killed when she collided with power lines in Jan., 2012.  Between then and April 22, there were 3 female eagles vying for Dad's attention.  The winner was nicknamed DT for Dirty Tail, since she still had some dark feathers.  There were no eaglets that first season.  DT stayed through February, 2014 when their ninth nest was removed from the garden.  Dad was not seen again until July, 2014 at a new nest on private property with his new mate, daughter HE (hatched 2009) who was also known as tHE Missus.  HE was struck and killed by a vehicle in January, 2016.  There were some girlfriends but no mates until Lady Jane (current mate) in July, 2017.

Here's a poignant video that gives a history up until March, 2015.  (I'm not sure of Dad's age, but sounds like he must be in his 20's, possibly late 20's.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9N0YsQdUIc

LisaG1967

« Reply #7944 on: August 09, 2023, 02:23:44 PM »

Ginger - Thanks for the info!  All those poor eagles who died. :(

Phyl - Yep, applied for the position, but they have it covered it seems.  We will see if they will need me or not.  There are alot of movies that I like that Alan Rickman was in....DieHard, Galaxy Quest, Sense and Sensibility, Harry Potter, Love Actually are just a few.

karengramke

« Reply #7945 on: August 09, 2023, 02:36:53 PM »

Thanks Ginger!  Sad history but glsd we do not know of all the deaths of mates!

Lani, I did not know that Mikes family was in Hawaii!  I always thought they were in/from Kansas!   So sorry about the fire!

My Vet is supposed to bring Piper home!  I expected her by now!   Poor thing must think I gave her away!   Vet sedated her to cut her nails!  She really hates it!

Phyl

« Reply #7946 on: August 09, 2023, 04:04:22 PM »

Ginger- such a sad, sad history at that nest.  :'( Breaks one's heart.

Karen- maybe should call the vet 'just to see how's she is doing'.  ;)

Lisa- Rickman's been acting since about 1978 -seen everything that's been show here incl. BBC/PBS. And rented / bought what isn't easy to find .You have to see 'Truly, Madly, Deeply'.      'Bottle Shock" is pretty good. It is based on a true American  vinification story. We liked it anyway.  His quips are kinda funny.

#IstandwithEvan

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7947 on: August 09, 2023, 04:15:04 PM »

camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Lani

« Reply #7948 on: August 09, 2023, 04:23:58 PM »

Thanks Ginger!  Sad history but glsd we do not know of all the deaths of mates!

Lani, I did not know that Mikes family was in Hawaii!  I always thought they were in/from Kansas!   So sorry about the fire!

My Vet is supposed to bring Piper home!  I expected her by now!   Poor thing must think I gave her away!   Vet sedated her to cut her nails!  She really hates it!

Mike's parents owned a condo in Kaanapali just 10 minutes away from Lahaina. It was their winter getaway. They rented it out when they weren't there.
My sister and I have distant cousin that we haven't seen for awhile.

awww Piper  :-*

Lisa, I'm sorry about your mom's return trip.  :( ... I hope she had a good time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 04:27:35 PM by Lani »

Lani

« Reply #7949 on: August 09, 2023, 04:25:19 PM »

tsk -- Lady Jane is Dad's fourth mate since Mom Norfolk's death.

On April 26, 2011, Mom Norfolk was struck and killed by a plane as she ate a fish on the end of a runway.  The next day the three eaglets were removed from the nest (and successfully released months later).

Dad Norfolk bonded with a female in September 2011 but she was killed when she collided with power lines in Jan., 2012.  Between then and April 22, there were 3 female eagles vying for Dad's attention.  The winner was nicknamed DT for Dirty Tail, since she still had some dark feathers.  There were no eaglets that first season.  DT stayed through February, 2014 when their ninth nest was removed from the garden.  Dad was not seen again until July, 2014 at a new nest on private property with his new mate, daughter HE (hatched 2009) who was also known as tHE Missus.  HE was struck and killed by a vehicle in January, 2016.  There were some girlfriends but no mates until Lady Jane (current mate) in July, 2017.

Here's a poignant video that gives a history up until March, 2015.  (I'm not sure of Dad's age, but sounds like he must be in his 20's, possibly late 20's.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9N0YsQdUIc

Thank you Ginger