Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 471487 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #5685 on: June 04, 2023, 07:41:05 AM »

Good Morning Beakers.....Happy Sunday!

Sorry that I missed most of Caturday, but lots of great posts. 

Thanks for all the "feel betters" for Misty.  She seems to be feeling a lil better today.  AC had given me some new food to give her and the kittens, and what they didn't tell me is that I needed to transition her from the Mommy & Baby food to this food, and the same for the kittens.  I think the food made her sick.  I am now giving Misty what I give Bandit, and she seems to be eating this morning.  I have not given her alot, but will do small amounts thru the day.  The kittens need to be transitioned to the new food, cause they will eat that at shelter till they are adopted.

Morning karen and anyone I missed  :)

tsk - I thought the same thing when AC said, make sure she stays hydrated.  How am I gonna get this cat to drink?  Poor girl did not want to do anything, but lay down all day.  What an odd thing for the vet tech to say!

baz - Awww, Maggie.

tig - Glad you are home safe.

E4E and Lani - Thanks!

Phyl - Thanks for the link.  Thanks for the cam pics.

nr - Aww, the 2 ospreys!

clynn
- Thanks, and great pic of Iris! Please tell me she has found another mate, or at least an interested one?

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5686 on: June 04, 2023, 07:47:15 AM »

GOOD SUNDAY MORNING EVERYONE

comfortable dew point today at 50.  67 heading to 79.

KAREN   Happy to hear you are enjoying your porch this summer.   :D

LANI   " Angels with whiskers"  :)

PHYL  Beautiful flyway this AM  Why do they call Turkey Vultures buzzards?  I thought this interesting...as I too was confused over the term vulture and buzzard.

"Turkey vultures are often referred to by the misnomer “buzzard.” Buzzard is what Europeans called hawks and when early Europeans began to settle in the US, they thought the large birds they saw flying were hawks and called them “buzzards.” This misnomer stuck and still today some people refer to vultures as “buzzards.”

The GSB nest box is getting smaller  LOL

CLYNN  Hope today you can relax for a bit.  Lots of extra time on your hands this week  ;) ;)

LISA  After I posted that I thought maybe you were to squirt water into her through a syringe but happy to see a bit of recovery this AM.  I remember having to transition food by just sneaking a bit of the new food into the old adding a bit more each day
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #5687 on: June 04, 2023, 08:14:36 AM »

Just to throw in a quickie Lisa -

My namesake Puff used to get treated by Ton with an icecube in the water dish.  Play toy and licks combined.  Ton was always with water/ice in a glass.  She knew what the click click meant.   ;D

P

nrstooge

• I am the eagle I live in high country...
« Reply #5688 on: June 04, 2023, 08:21:22 AM »

omg!  Egg 3 hatching!

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #5689 on: June 04, 2023, 09:00:41 AM »

some bounce, some recovery

some images (mine):
"our" new vessel - mid left there is a black dot, er, loon
one of many deer viewed
I sat still as a pair swam passed and responded to my gentle "woo-hoo-ooo"
a home-made chain saw art nearby... the artist said juvies have stopped by to inspect
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:03:03 AM by camperstig »
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5690 on: June 04, 2023, 12:18:52 PM »

PUFF   Good idea about the ice cube.

TIG  Nice pics.  I can see why some juvies came to inspect the carving sculpture  :D  Well composed pic of the pontoon boat and lake.
Chicagoland

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5691 on: June 04, 2023, 12:30:18 PM »

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5692 on: June 04, 2023, 12:38:50 PM »

Dunrovin Ranch Osprey Harriet and Swoop and their three chicks  :-*
I took this pic yesterday. Cam has been going on and off for a few days. Today it's off.

Happy Sunday Beakers!
Hi Blschue, Lilbro, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie and All!

Lisa, Happy to hear you know the cause of Misty's upset and she's on the mend. Sadie does the same thing if I change her diet, she has diarrhea and won't eat.

Clynn, I'm glad to be a homebody today too! Happy to hear Erin/Sydney will make their trip to FL today, and all is well with Debbie and U-Haul.... Iris  :-* ....  Good News! Aly has a wonderful boss. His mother has offered her vacation log cabin to Aly for $300 a week until she finds a home.  🙏🏼

Nr, great pic from WF, thanks Phyl

Tig, awesome pics, you and Camper chill out at the most serene and scenic areas... Love the chain art eagles... the lone Loon pic would be a great puzzle, because of the reflections and ribbles in the water.  ;D

Phyl, beautiful sunrise.... the GSB Quartet are gorgeous, as well as Two Harbors eaglet... we have 3 types of vultures in Arizona, the Turkey Vulture, Black Vulture and California Condor.
We've only seen the Turkey Vulture in Northern Arizona (Scottsdale and north forest area) https://birdwatchinghq.com/vultures-in-arizona/

Black Vulture

Black Vulture Range Map

I've been finishing planting the flower pots, spraying for white flies, bugs, adding cedar chips to boxes and pots, the tomatoes plants look great! Kb, I need to add another soaker hose. I'll clean up and tidy the downstairs area where Aly had been living later this week. I've been crazy busy these past three months, convention, etc... I finally feel like I can breath again and go quietly about my business.  ;D
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

BrokenLug

« Reply #5693 on: June 04, 2023, 12:43:38 PM »

Being a gal from the So. Cal desert I do know what a buzzard looks like as well as how they  behave. But, these surprized me.
I had taken some snaps to show Jim when he came home from work on June  first. 
 I told him I knew these are buzzards...much more attractive  than  I've known to be. But, I couldn't refine the breed. He took one look and said 'Turkey Buzzards'.
 As they look a bit like turkeys.
Okay. I thought.
So that left another question...  why after 23 yrs living in the same house do they pay a visit? 
No doubt they liked a change of secnery.   LOL

Phyl - I believe from your pics that those are technically Black Vultures.
Adult Turkey Vultures have red heads.

As tsk mentioned in her post Vultures are not 'Buzzards'.
Buzzards are really Hawks.
A better fit for buzzard/hawk would be Buteo.

Wouldn't Willie have just loved all this ..  :)  ;)

U. S. A.

Puff

« Reply #5694 on: June 04, 2023, 12:52:21 PM »

A rose by any other name is not a good looker.    ::)

P

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5695 on: June 04, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »

Being a gal from the So. Cal desert I do know what a buzzard looks like as well as how they  behave. But, these surprized me.
I had taken some snaps to show Jim when he came home from work on June  first. 
 I told him I knew these are buzzards...much more attractive  than  I've known to be. But, I couldn't refine the breed. He took one look and said 'Turkey Buzzards'.
 As they look a bit like turkeys.
Okay. I thought.
So that left another question...  why after 23 yrs living in the same house do they pay a visit? 
No doubt they liked a change of secnery.   LOL

Phyl - I believe from your pics that those are technically Black Vultures.
Adult Turkey Vultures have red heads.

As tsk mentioned in her post Vultures are not 'Buzzards'.
Buzzards are really Hawks.
A better fit for buzzard/hawk would be Buteo.

Wouldn't Willie have just loved all this ..  :)  ;)

I know this. Grew up calling them Buzzards. Thanks .
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5696 on: June 04, 2023, 01:04:49 PM »

Lisa good news for Misty and the new formula  for food.

Puff been putting ice cubes in my cats water for decades, esp in warmer weather. The ice also keeps the water 'fresher'

Tig great photos from Camper, as always.  ;) Thanks.

Thanks for the nests updates from Dunrovin Ranch Osprey Harriet and Iris  at Cornell Lab, etc.
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #5697 on: June 04, 2023, 01:19:06 PM »

karen sent a picture of her Mama Finch!

tsk, I am going to Kay's one more time, tomorrow morning. The Salvation Army will be there to pick up the last of the stuff. I plan to make a stop at Goodwill if I can get the stuff in my car! And then I have to pick up bird seed at Fleet Farm which is also on the way back from Kay's. And maybe a quick run into Walmart.

Lisa, I had to give a previous cat water with a syringe, I found that if you just release the water slowly they actually like it. In the corner of the mouth, just slide the tip in there.

phyl, Honey loves to play with ice cubes in the water, she sometimes just sits and waits for us to get the hint! I always thought buzzards and turkey vultures were the same thing until recent years. I think it was the cartoons we watched when we were kids, they always called them buzzards when they were technically vultures. Buzzards is more of a fun kid word I suppose...

Lani, the Dunrovin chicks are just a bit older than the WF chicks! Wow, Aly really does have a nice boss, that is a good thing!

Animals Are Beautiful - This dσg jυst gaνe biɾth to 14 ρuρρies , this is her prσud fαce!

https://www.dogstube.us/2019/02/pregnant-mama-dog-has-14-puppies.html
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

oldguy

« Reply #5698 on: June 04, 2023, 02:25:40 PM »

Hello Beakers

A little cooler today - only 89 - just starting to get some spotty rain developing in the area.

The turkey vultures move into Iowa in the early spring and the eagles start to head north.  Most times (daylight hours) here I will see 3-5 circling on the currents as they look for something to feast on.
RRP has a link to a nest in a barn in Missouri - https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/missouri-turkey-vultures/    both eggs have now hatched...

I have not seen any black vultures here in Iowa.

Lisa - my cat loved to lick the sweat off of cold drink containers.  We would frequently put some ice cubes into his water dish - he loved it.

Fiat performing at a special event a couple of weeks ago - had a special guest help out with some dancing during her song... 8)
Queen On Street   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWMXTjGT5mU

A good night at cards - one of the regulars had her Colon inspection the week of her birthday, so we started the evening at Pizza Ranch for the Buffet to celebrate her birthday a week late...  Won 2 out 2 games.

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5699 on: June 04, 2023, 03:36:22 PM »

LANI   Wow the family of Aly's new employer is amazing.  Nice to have a plan B if she doesn't get the latest rental.   No hurry now for you - Decompress and do a little each day taking deep breaths  :-*  Thanks for the piece on turkey vultures - we have them here

BL  Thanks for the consolidation of information.  Now we are experts  LOL

CLYNN  Thanks for the pic of KAREN's mama finch - Looks like maybe still brooding.  WOW  14 puppies - Amazing they all survived.  I got curious and had to look this up  LOL

"A Neapolitan mastiff named Tia currently holds the Guinness World Record for largest litter, with 24 pups born in 2004.Mar 28, 2023"

OLDGUY  Gorgeous day here.  Cool and not humid 76 degrees with a breeze.   Looks like that little guy was doing some "air guitaring" as well  LOL
Chicagoland