Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 489826 times)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #9480 on: September 25, 2023, 01:51:48 PM »

This afternoon, I did a little looking at the National Hurricane Center info, and used maps info, to find that the center of Tropical Storm Ophelia apparently made landfall just about 11 miles down, on the very same barrier island, from where my sister, and her daughter and SIL, and their LGN and Baby Bro, were sitting and walking by the Atlantic Ocean, in the attached beach pictures, a few days before the storm hit. They were staying at a friend's home on that same barrier island, on the sound side. That house is less than a mile from the beach side pictures below. My LGN and her Baby Bro and their parents left and drove home on Wednesday, before the Saturday early morning (6:15am) Ophelia landfall. And my sister left there to go home on Thursday night, before the storm started moving into the area the next morning, on Friday. Actual official landfall of the center of Ophelia was on Saturday morning, about 6:15am.

Baz I think you dodged a little bullet from TS Ophelia.
It was heading right for you when it made a "last minute" jog due North and made land fall on Emerald Isle, NC.
Good smart call that all of your family bugged out from that barrier island in advance.   8)

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2023/OPHELIA_graphics.php?product=current_wind

Here are some images of what the NHC calls the "Preliminary Best Track".
Sometimes on post data analysis they tweak some things and it then becomes the "Final Best Track".
Pink circles are Tropical Storm force winds (39 mph - 73 mph).
She made landfall as a 70 mph TS just shy of a Cat 1.

BL, yep, you are right - TS Ophelia was (surprisingly to the forecasters, I think, LOL) heading scrait for me there for a second or more, LOL! till it made that last second dodge in its track to the NE, and then towards the Crystal Coast (landing at Emerald Isle). It is 59 miles, as the Albatross flies, from my abode to where TS Ophelia made landfall. I was watching ever so closely the whole time. I pay attention to those details!  ;) Yesterday, I looked to see if they had any final analysis, or even prelim final analysis (LOL) on the exact landing location, time, and intensitiy, but it isn't available yet, so I had to do a slight interpolation on the landing location since they had only posted the GPS coordinates as of 5 minutes after the landing, and I knew it's direction and speed of forward movement... though it didn't make really much difference in interpreting the distance of its landfall location from our friend's home on the same island, which I calculated to be about 11 miles. And based on other info from meterologists there at the time, I am fairly sure the northeast eyewall likely went right over our friend's home there. I always enjoy seeing the final reports when they become available, because, as you know, some storms' intensitiy evaluation get updated after-the-fact, and TS Ophelia just may get upgraded to a Cat 1 Hurricane when all is done, because its central pressure was continuing to lower after the 5am full update, and before it's 6:15 am-ish landfall, so it's possible it had gained another 4 mph intensity, that would have ended up classifying it as a Cat 1 Hurricane at landfall. Or maybe not.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 01:57:38 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9481 on: September 25, 2023, 02:00:20 PM »

PUFF   Had my shawl group here this AM and rain was on and off.  Some gals waited til the second shower stopped before leaving.   Now it has clouded up again.

LORI  Tried to get hot cocoa K-cups at the grocery this AM.  Not on the shelf and do believe it must be seasonal.  They better hurry up  ;) ;)  Nice fall pics to look at this AM :)

CLYNN  Beautiful couple at SWFL

KB  Picked up some bacon wrapped Italian sausage at the market this AM.  Never tried but will cook in the toaster oven for tonight.   I remember that gas line fiasco  :o

LANI   Yikes - Didn't see the fledge  :(  He had to have the cam ops hopping to be able to catch it  LOL   The Association - big group in my era.

BAZI   Lucy Cook was such a genuine person who LOVES what she does.  I thoroughly enjoyed her.

LISA  I plan now to review recipes and try making some this afternoon.

EAGLES  Remember the chocolate raspberry Vitamin water?  I tried some flavors the other day and my fav is orange - so bought a 6 pack today. :D
Chicagoland

baziunc

« Reply #9482 on: September 25, 2023, 02:14:25 PM »

HAPPY DAY, BEAKERS!  :)

Clynn, thanks for finding and posting that link to watch that "60 Minutes" segment on the sloths from last night's show. It was really good. How is your left wrist coming along? Boy I sure have seen a lot of reports about some dicey weather in places in the midwest the last few days. I saw a video from a few days ago - maybe Thursday? not sure... - of some heavy hail in your parts. Did you get any at your house? Hope no new dents in the car! Did your hatchback issue fix really fix the issue? Hope so!

Lisa, I love fried green tomatoes, but it was a fail when I tried to make them at home. LOL. I might use your recipe and try again.  :D

KB, your slow-cooking pork butt and carnitas plan is making me hungry!! I think the can of chipotle adobe jalapenos is a good move. Give a full report afterward, on how you liked it. It's the adobe part that speaks to me.

Lani, awww, UQ fledged.  :-* And on bell-ringing day!  :-* :-*  Loved the pics you posted of UQ, and especially of "The 4 Chicks."  :D :-* :-* :-* :-*

TSK, glad Tim likes his new mattress. I don't remember where all the Beakers said they bought new mattresse lately, but I noticed that national news on TV this past weekend had a bit about a consumer recall of some mattresses sold by COSTCO. I don't recall the brand/s involved, but apparently it was discovered they had a mold problem in them, so they are being recalled. Oh, here's a link to a story about it:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/09/22/novaform-mattress-recall-costco-consumers-report-mold/70936744007/

Waving to All the Beakers! Have a good day, All!  :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #9483 on: September 25, 2023, 02:17:38 PM »

some bounce
6 mo. heart check today. Good. RP 65, BP 116/70. Trouble is... that makes me think I'm healthy. Not. Got a talking to about exercise and diet. Point taken. Now to drink my Gatorade for my appointment tomorrow. Joy.  :o
SED Beakers

camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

baziunc

« Reply #9484 on: September 25, 2023, 02:30:59 PM »

Tig, good numbers! Yeah... I think sometimes I need those "talking to" doc visits. I had one big one in the past, and it made me change the way I do some things for the better, so I guess it worked.  ;) :D  Good luck tomorrow! (Ugh)

baziunc

« Reply #9485 on: September 25, 2023, 02:33:42 PM »

BBL!  ;D

kbshcb

« Reply #9486 on: September 25, 2023, 03:11:39 PM »

Baz - I loved it.....snuck it in without telling Chris....I cut up a peach for a third side in case it was too spicy for him!....shh....he loved it, it was only at the very end he said: Spicy though! The peach was to cool his tongue ;) ;).also provided rice and a carrot dish.

I maybe did add too much?...can't tell what the equivalent of one jalapeno is...so teaspooned it....maybe 3?
Next time I'll maybe use a little less....

Not for me, but for Chris....I think it was a welcome addition.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 03:13:25 PM by kbshcb »

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #9487 on: September 25, 2023, 04:36:08 PM »

The Association-Cherish 1966 was closing song/dance  at Larry/Dan's  Junior/Senior Prom.  As Senior Class President he officiated that nigt.
My parents were  one of the couples shaparoning  .  As a little girl I got to go along ... Dad had his Bolex and was busy filming
And, yes I was his 'little helper that's how I got to go along.  ;D  Pictures somewhere as well as 8mm movie. Doubtful the 8mm survived Larry's storage.  :(

CLynn the 'hippy squirrel"  and the 'hippy momma'; tks for the SWFL -   M Liz's photo of M15 and Lady E working on the nest.

Tsk my mother's Fried Green Tomatoes (1943-ish) is very similar to modern day  Paula  Deen 's that I posted yesterday...cast iron skillet
                         Not the oven fried,  I just posted that as you said you didn't have a cast iron any more.

Lori as always a great greeting/you're missed. Not sure which is the cutest this time...kittens or puppies.  ;D

BL tks for the xtra weather info/updates  and tracking maps

Tig yes, good numbers today! Glad you and your Doc 'chatted'

Puff/Bazi :)

Lisa I was wondering the same about UQ chick regarding banding etc.

Bazi your 'lunch time' gif---usually don't have. But after working outside today---I needed it.

Lani tks for the Royal's update--enjoy the video
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

LisaG1967

« Reply #9488 on: September 25, 2023, 05:08:34 PM »

tsk - Good idea to view more recipes.  Glad to hear that Tim is liking his new mattress.

baz - My first time making them at home with just flour was a fail, too.  ;D  I like the dredge/dip/dredge process, as things stick together better. 

tig - Glad you had a good heart check today.  Hope all goes well with your test tomorrow.  There has to be a easier way to do that test than all that drinking of Gatorade.   ;D 

Have a good night, everyone  :)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9489 on: September 25, 2023, 06:27:46 PM »

BAZI    All OK here - Went to Mattress Firm here in town.  ;)

TIG   Thumbs up on the heart check. :)   Squeeze test and Dexa scan for me tomorrow  :o :o

KB   Doesn't sound like Chris complained too much  LOL  You did good.

PHYL   Enjoyed the memories " Cherish" brought to mind

LISA   Here's what I did.  Remember I'm using Romas so they aren'ts very big but  I got about 12 nice bite size slices  - Light dredge in flour, dunk in the egg and dredge with cornmeal and I fried in my non stick frying pan heated with corn oil.  Let them drain and then dipped in ranch dressing.  Very good  I ate all of them throughout the afternoon LOL.  Could suffer tomorrow from the fried aspect as I don't eat fried food as a rule.
Chicagoland

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #9490 on: September 25, 2023, 06:39:02 PM »

OG - Liked the Blue Jay vid - was fun & informative!  I hope you get more rain!

LisaG - I've written down your Fried Green Tomato recipe!   Safeway is where I fill up too - and I usually always have a gas discount - glad you take advantage of the Safeway rewards too!

Lani - I learned lots more in watching 60 Minutes on their Sloth segment - it was so GOOD!  Love all the Royal Albatross pics and status on all - thank you! :)

Kb - Amazing pic this morning!  Hope you get more rain  :)   I bet your carnitas are going to be so delicious!

Phyl - Pretty morning autumn pic.

Tsk - Glad that Tim loves the new mattress!   Tsk, I'm so happy you found a flavor you like with the vitamin water - as I mentioned, my hubby likes the different flavors, but I just like plain 'ol water - although I like unsweetened iced tea too.  :) 

Puff - You must have got soaked going out for your paper? ???

Lori - Love your cute & yummy post today!

Clynn - Like the SWFL nestorations - I just need to get used to Harriet not being there anymore.

Baz - So glad you saw the Sloth segment too - it really was detail oriented.   Thank you for the mattress info and link.

Tig - Wishing you all the best - good luck - {Tig}

Beakers have a good night.

BrokenLug

« Reply #9491 on: September 25, 2023, 06:45:18 PM »

More Camper pics.

Tig you and Camper will get a kick out of this article.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/leisure-recreation/live-news/weather-permitting-photo-blog/933860

You and Camper take awesome pics !   8)

A few questions cause I'm not familiar with that neck of MN.
Who's sitting on the porch you or the pilot ?
How far west inland approx does that 'color stripe' occur from the shore ??
And generally why _ precipitation, the lake magic itself   ;D , temp, wind, topography _ that is some spectacular color cut off.   :)
https://tinyurl.com/24ra9jh4

« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 08:48:18 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

mich-pip

« Reply #9492 on: September 25, 2023, 07:13:13 PM »

I'm feeling a little flush.....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 07:19:00 PM by mich-pip »
Nature is cruel but we don't have to be
-temple grandin

kbshcb

« Reply #9493 on: September 25, 2023, 07:33:25 PM »

I know this spring and early summer I posted pictures of this Minnehaha Falls flowing fast from our winter melt.....this is it now, after our summer drought :(
Might start to trick after tonight, LOL

BrokenLug

« Reply #9494 on: September 25, 2023, 07:53:14 PM »

kb that's crazy dry for Minnehaha Falls at this time of year.   :o

I've walked behind it's raging ice fall a couple of times.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 08:20:56 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.