Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 149778 times)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #4065 on: May 02, 2024, 12:37:38 PM »

KAREN   My oriole feeder has had no visitors.  However my hummer feeder went up on April 30th and Tim saw a hummer feeding on May 1st!  The syrup is half gone already  LOL  Sounds like a productive day for you.  We went this cloudy AM and got Tim's "veggies " to plant for this year.  Went faster as I made him make a list  LOLOL

CLYNN  One of Lulu's favorite games is chasing the mouse at the end of a wire attached to the stick in the "operator" hand  LOL  She will carry that mouse around the house with the stick banging into everything.  She just this minute dragged it in to me at the PC. ::)  We have to hide it at night or else... ::)     I wouldn't be able to stop taking pics at the tulip festival.   So happy for Iris!!  Agree with LANI about the pic of Iris and her new mate.  The Nova last night on osprey was very good.  Didn't realize that mated pairs who return separately do not come for the partner but for the nest!!!

KB   That is funny!!  Let us know if you see the twine hanging from a nest somewhere  LOLOL

LANI   Those albie chicks look like huge cotton balls .  I would love to feel one.  Agree with you about the Iris pic.

BAZI   Then I will just have to invent one of those heat/cool machines  LOL  ;D

Tim's cousin ( late 50's) has a stage 3 astrocytoma partially removed from his brain.  Beginning May 20 he will begin cancer tx daily for 45 consecutive days.  It will be a chemo pill and radiation at a cancer center 35 minutes away from his Texas home.  Thank you for your prayers.
Chicagoland

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #4066 on: May 02, 2024, 01:08:32 PM »

Baz in/out of Hatteras Inlet from Teach's Lair Marina dodging the ferries to Ocracoke island.   :)

Caught a 29 lbs bull Mahi-mahi today ,, fresh steaks are a sizzling on the BBQ.
    ;D

BL, I'm sooo jealous!! Are you out again today? I don't see you on that live marina cam right now, so you must be out fishing!!  :) It looks like a gorgeous day there!! A 29-lb bull dolfin fish is WOWOW-YOWZA!!! That's-a-lotta mahi-mahi steaks!! Throw one on the grill for me!!   :D

Find BrokenLug at Teach's Lair Marina - Live cam shot, 2pm today!  ;D

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #4067 on: May 02, 2024, 01:25:53 PM »

some bounce
For those who may be interested... 5th recovery at the Key Bridge...  https://youtu.be/BJClSynE6hU?si=t_BHjHLRlFZOZewG

Prayers 🙏
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

baziunc

« Reply #4068 on: May 02, 2024, 01:48:50 PM »

BAZI   Then I will just have to invent one of those heat/cool machines  LOL  ;D

Tim's cousin ( late 50's) has a stage 3 astrocytoma partially removed from his brain.  Beginning May 20 he will begin cancer tx daily for 45 consecutive days.  It will be a chemo pill and radiation at a cancer center 35 minutes away from his Texas home.  Thank you for your prayers.

TSK, get on that invention - it will make you a rich woman!!  ;) :D  Oh gosh, you heard back on Tim's cousin, Joe.  I'm glad the treatment center is not far away. Prayers for his treatment and comfort, and for Tim and all the family. Hugs. And more hugs.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #4069 on: May 02, 2024, 01:51:17 PM »

some bounce
For those who may be interested... 5th recovery at the Key Bridge...  https://youtu.be/BJClSynE6hU?si=t_BHjHLRlFZOZewG

Prayers 🙏

Thanks, Tig. Such a sad situation, but I feel like the family of the deceased will be grateful for the recovery.

baziunc

« Reply #4070 on: May 02, 2024, 02:32:35 PM »

Have a good day, Beakers!  :)

I walked about a half hour this morning. My time is an estimate because I stopped a couple of times to assist a Mother Goose and her 3 very small goslings. They looked to be only a very few days old. There was no Dad Goose!  :'( :(  who would normally be walking behind Mom and their little ones, guarding and giving directions all along. She looked like she wanted to cross the major traffic road close to my home!! And I was trying to discourage her from across that busy street that I had just had a time crosssing myself. She turned to continue leading her 3 little ones up the side of the road she was on, and then she decided to cross the smaller road I live on, but the little ones couldn't jump up the curb on the other side of the road to the sidewalk there. She stopped on the sidewalk to talk to her babies about needing to hop up onto the sidewalk with her, but they couldn't hop that high, sweet things, and they were getting very close to a large street drain, looking for a different way alongside the curb to get to their Mom. So I crossed the busy big road back to her side of the street and calmly approached them, and gave each of the 3 little goslings a tushy boost up the curb onto the sidewalk next to their Mother Goose.  :-*  Mother Goose talked to me just a bit, but wasn't aggressive so I only quietly and calmly told her "Hi Mom, it's ok. Here are your babies." I think she saw I was helping, so she just watched me. I walked away as soon as I boosted the 3 babies up the curb to the sidewalk, and then I watched from a distance, and she started leading them along. Whew. After I crossed back to the other side of the busy street a 2nd time (I was heading up to the woods to the kayak launch in the Cypress woods/swamp today), I saw she had turned back around towards the road, with babies scurrying behind, and was now walking up the side of the very busy road, and looking to cross!! !! Oh no... She was getting close to a group of workers who were spreading pine straw at the complex next door to mine. One of the workers saw me trying to warn the oncoming traffic and signal them to slow down because Mom was getting so close to the road! No time to wait at that point, so I started waving from the edge of the road at the cars in both directions, as I held out my hands in stop position. Then as I saw a car slowing in each direction, I stepped out into the roadway for a full traffic stop. Then the worker on the other side of the street, who saw me, walked to get behind Mother Goose and her 3 babies, and helped herd them more quickly across the street in the gap between the traffic that was stopped in both directions. They made it! Mom Goose then headed up the sidewalk toward a retention pond nearby, her 3 babies behind, scurrying.  :-* :-*  I watched for a long time, till she turned into the grassy area away from the road, near that pond, and then I came back across that busy road, again! -LOL - and took my walk instead on a shorter path through my own immediate neighborhood. So my walk was not uninterrupted, since I stopped several times. It's hard for a person to cross that road at certain times of day. I usually have to wait a while till there is enough of a break in that 45 mph heavy traffic, which is often speeding faster, to get across myself. Mother Goose and her 3 babies would've needed a full stoplight with a traffic cop on duty to do it! So I guess, all in all, my actual total walking time turned out to be maybe 30 minutes, maybe a little less.

Off to run to the grocery store for a few items, and then watch some more tennis, currently recording on my DVR.

Take care, All:)  :-*

« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 02:40:40 PM by baziunc »

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #4071 on: May 02, 2024, 05:08:49 PM »

Iris laid 1st egg!

New male gets first look! He's probably thinking "That was quick!"  :o
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #4072 on: May 02, 2024, 05:14:35 PM »

some bounce

Prayers 🙏

Thanks, Tig. Such a sad situation, but I feel like the family of the deceased will be grateful for the recovery.

Thanks Tig, Very sad, but as Baz says it will give the family of the decease closure. Their loved one has been found.  :'(
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #4073 on: May 02, 2024, 05:21:30 PM »

Thinking of and sending prayers to Tim's cousin.

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #4074 on: May 02, 2024, 05:25:18 PM »

Baz/Lani...all... Capt. Andy seems to be a very respectful southern gentleman. He is the one who plays Santa in his community and to whom I sent a pkg. of teddy bears this past Christmas for him to add to the hundreds he handed out to the kids in the hospital, kids in need at several locations, and the remainder to first responders to have on hand.

Well Baz, tennis went my way on the mens' side, but not the womens'. Oh well. Next time.

(TSK) (Phyl)

SED
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 06:24:17 PM by camperstig »
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Puff

« Reply #4075 on: May 02, 2024, 05:56:08 PM »

Great news on the osprey population Lani.  I don't keep that tight of a watch on her - Timewise who did what when - who does it belong to?

KB  Another cute/good-to-know tale of the goose mother and her little ones.  Even cuter is to hear that the fellow worker helped and cared to help.  And, that robin's piece of string looked to be over a yard.  Maybe they're building a 2-level?

Beat me tsk mostly because I didn't hang my feeders out until yesterday.  Needed some little pole hooks to extend their placement.  There's only one tree (locust) that's close enough sitting on the patio to watch.  Other trees outline the side and back of the property.  But I did buy a new chickadee/wren house to hang off the garage eave.  I know there are Chicks always in my yard so I had to replace the broken down old one.  Chickadees come first and wren will move in if chicks fledge so wrens can have their own brood later.  Just in case, I have a spare plastic house around the corner of the garage in case the wrens mate early.

I'm sounding only slightly feeble - I made a list of the seeds I already have, but then started to try to remember what they were.  Remember is a 4-letter word.   :o  I will be going back soon, seeds sell out quickly, some slots were already slim pickings.  List will be in my purse until I buy rest.  And though I didn't intend to . . .yes, I bought some plants.  I swear that store is one of my favorite EVIL stores.  Always gets on to my cc statement.

So sorry to hear about Tim's cousin.  Along with hugs - our special group here are also doing what we can with prayers.

P

karengramke

« Reply #4076 on: May 02, 2024, 06:02:02 PM »

Great Mother Goose story, Baz!  Father Goose is one of the love em and leave em types! Lol!   Good job! 

Prayers fot Joe!  Thatz45 days if
Svlk h yo bry tokibh!  Gxk, xdndhim a bottle/jar of pure aloe vers!  Theywill give him something. Else but folks jave toks me thid id the best!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 08:55:46 PM by karengramke »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #4077 on: May 02, 2024, 06:30:55 PM »

BAZI   That's a beautiful Marina.  Hope there are lots of benches to sit there and watch  ;) ;)
   I sure wish I had a video of that whole experience with the Mama goose and 3 babies.  ;D  Obviously her GPS was failing her as to the location of that retention pond.  :o   I have such a visual of you trying to stop all the traffic.   ;D ;D  Good job.  What an experience.

TIG   One more to go.  But like he said, relief for the family that they have his remains.   Very sad.  Thanks for the update

LANI   GREAT news for Iris.  :D :D :D   Awww  Little boy and his pup.  ;)

PUFF   Tim was having a cigar out on the patio this afternoon and watched several at the hummer feeder.  They never seem to appear when I'm out there which was a lot this afternoon LOL   Well we never got but a few drops of all the rain we were supposed to get this afternoon.  I've got exterior window washer coming tomorrow AM 7:30!! - I thought it was to rain - He said no.  We'll see.
Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #4078 on: May 02, 2024, 06:36:25 PM »

karen - We will be in the upper 60's, low 70's for the next couple of days.

kb - Your yard looks nice. 

Lani - TF and TFT are beautiful.  Yay for Iris' new guy bringing her a fish!  Congrats to Iris!!!!

tsk - Continued prayers for Tim's cousin.

baz - Aww, you have a Mama Goose and goslings by you. 

tig - Thanks for posting about the 5th recovery at Key Bridge.  I heard that on the news this morning.

Good night, everyone  :)

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #4079 on: May 02, 2024, 06:38:50 PM »

Lani- I saved your marinade recipe! :)  I always have kikkoman's soy sauce in my fridge for several different things, including putting a little on my white rice.     Beautiful Albies  :)     Wow!! Iris laid 1st egg!!! :-* :)

Bl- How was your Mahi Mahi last evening?  Bet it was so very good!!

Phyl- I always love your throw-back Thursdays!! :)   Sending good thoughts & prayers for Jim.  Hope he feels a little better each day. {{Jim}} {{Phyl}}

Karen- Oh no, Cpap machine! :(    Hope your guy gets your flowers planted for you. :)

Clynn- What fun it must be to watch Sophie having so much fun playing with everything!Lol!  Sophie & Sam make a perfect pair at playing together!
Beautiful pic of the two in the Hellgate nest!

Hi Puff  :)

Tig- Your tulips really are special!! :)     Thank you so much for posting the link re the recovery of the 5th person.

Kb- Nice pictures - yeah, wondering about that white thing!

Tsk- Thank you for mentioning Tim's cousin.  Thoughts & prayers continue, especially when his treatment begins May 20th. {{{Tim's cousin & all of the family}}}

Baz- Wow, what an amazing thing you did in helping that mama goose and her 3 goslings.  Bless you  :-*    What a story and I am so glad you kept yourself safe too.  Thank you for detailing the story - I read every word!  Glad it all worked out. :-* :-* :) :)

Hi LisaG., Og  :)

Beakers have a good evening  :)