Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 533698 times)

Puff

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #6510 on: July 31, 2024, 06:03:33 AM »

I have to clear this  up . . .

Seems like every morning that there's an adult stationed in a bare tree  I believe it's in the hatchery area.  Don't even know if it's HD or HM.  It sure is determined and diligent about claiming the territory. 

What is the who, why, where answer?

P

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #6511 on: July 31, 2024, 06:17:41 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Puff, good observation!  Keep an eye on it, we may have a new family claim the beautiful nest this fall!

Lani, the TF Royal Alby chick will be named! Did you have some time to rest yesterday? You have had a busy couple of weeks! Those fires always worry me, I pray they get them under control soon. Such devastation and I am sad for the animals affected.

tsk, I love the Merlin app, I take it out on the deck! Always hear the Cardinal and the wren for sure, and others at times. I see sparrows but they rarely register on Merlin. Seems like the Grackles and Blackbirds didn't stay long this year.

Phyl, you mentioned Doc Martin, do you watch the PBS show? I love it!

Lisa, do you remember Gladys Kravitz?  LOLOL!

Hellgate - beautiful wings! Jenny Powell

The Driftless Area refers to the hilly landscape topography of southwestern Wisconsin. This area was left untouched by the last glacier that covered most of Wisconsin, resulting in its hillier and more rugged features. It is without the "drift" left by glaciers so it is "driftless."
About 15,000 years ago, and several times during preceding ice ages, glaciers flowed out of Canada as far south as the Ohio and Missouri Rivers. During the most recent one, the glaciers were diverted to the east or west by the highlands of north-central Wisconsin, leaving the Driftless Area untouched. In most of the Midwest, the ice sheets smoothed the landscape flat by eroding away the crags and filling in the valleys. The Driftless Area escaped this fate. Its ancient, rugged hills, and steep valleys pre-date most of the rest of the state's landscape.
What towns and cities are at the heart of the Driftless Area here in Wisconsin? Viroqua, Prairie du Chien, Gay Mills, Hillsboro, Readstown, Coon Valley, Soldiers Grove, LaFarge, Viola, Ferryville, Ontario, Westby, Stoddard Genoa and lots more.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 07:15:34 AM by clynndunn »
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #6512 on: July 31, 2024, 06:19:34 AM »

Good Morning Everyone...Happy  Wednesday!

Currently: 74F partly  sunny , High  93F sunny,  with  Low 74F

Hope everyone had a pleasant evening and a good night's rest.

Prayers for:  The family of the late Corey Comperatore ,D.J.T. shooting o July13, 2024 .Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people.   'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere . As always, Beakers/families.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#istandwithisrael

Phyl

« Reply #6513 on: July 31, 2024, 06:33:40 AM »

Hi CLynn Ooops! It wasn't that 'Doc Martin' I was talking about. However, we've been that 'Doc Martin' fans from the very
first episode aired in 2004 on PBS. We have the entire series on  DVD.

I remember Gladys Kravitz...LOL
Thanks for update on Hellgate nest. The family looks beauitful

Gosh!   'The Driftless' area has been around for a long, long time om SW Wisconsin. Awesome photo.

Flamingo time I see. Did you know it's because of all the shrimp they eat that flamingos get their famous 'pink' color.
Have fun w/the Munchkins today.

Puff you got a good eye. Could be a new family. I---Echo, CLynn I see.

We haven't seen any Starlings this year--usually they flood our area and eat all the bird seed and suet.  Can't say we've missed them though.
I think we got CLynn's blackbirds---they've all but swarmed us this year.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 06:56:57 AM by Phyl »

#istandwithisrael

Phyl

« Reply #6514 on: July 31, 2024, 06:35:40 AM »

The Raptor Resource Project

From Amy's blog...
July 30, 2024: Last Decorah North Chat of the 2023/2024 Season and NestFlix!
https://www.raptorresource.org/2024/07/30/july-30-2024-last-decorah-north-chat-of-the-2023-2024-season-and-nestflix/

#istandwithisrael

Phyl

« Reply #6515 on: July 31, 2024, 06:45:32 AM »

#istandwithisrael

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6516 on: July 31, 2024, 07:05:49 AM »

CLYNN  Shades of rose /pinks this AM  :)   Very interesting about the driftless area.  Think Dodgeville and Mineral Point and spring Green are in that as well.  My folks had a second home in Dodgeville for 20 years in their retirement.

PHYL   Thanks for the reminder on the shrimp.  I had known that at one point...
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #6517 on: July 31, 2024, 09:39:35 AM »

https://x.com/i/status/1818631499001819359

Coolest Northern MN lynx video!

From Voyageurs Wolf Project:

We captured some really neat footage of lynx this past year on our cameras but this is definitely the coolest. In fact, might be the best video of a lynx we have ever captured, not least because the lynx decided sit right in front of the camera...

Thanks to the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund for their continued support of the project, which allows us to capture, document, and share neat footage of the wildlife in northern Minnesota!

Still too hot to do anything outside....will be here with high dew points (now 71) and smoke through our weekend.
Looking forward to next week with cooler and less dewy temps...will have lots of catch-up to do.

Puff

« Reply #6518 on: July 31, 2024, 09:53:57 AM »

Hi again all. . .

tsk  I took a ride through the Driftless area during ATF this year, looking for the roller coaster road.   ::)  I didn't know the driftless area was going to be right under my nose.  Also the Effigy Mounds.  I'm planning next year to go out a day earlier so I have time to ride the scenic road and stop at the museum.  Next year I'll do more of tour/ride, too.

clynn  I could have /should have been more specific -  When the adult perches, it seems to be on the cliff side of the hatchery pond.  Then it takes off over the corn field to toward the Womeldorf house in the back and has a very tall, top, barren branch to sit on there.  Thanks for the in-depth travelog of both pairs Amy.  I wondered if I was imagining a bird on the Y branch.  They're keeping claim to their territory, too.  Yay!  Talons crossed.

I remember Gladys Kravitz, too.  Lots of older  ::)  viewers on channel.

Beautious Lynk   Wow

P     

« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 09:58:38 AM by Puff »

LisaG1967

« Reply #6519 on: July 31, 2024, 11:37:22 AM »

Good Morning/Afternoon Beakers

Phyl - Hmmm, I thought it only deactivated you, not the people on your list, too.  We deactivated Mama's, but I still see her name show up under my friends list, and when I click on her name it says, when she reactivates her account you will still be friends.  Love the lil figurines. 

kb - Ditto what tsk said, on beetle  :D

Lani - Love that good night pic.

Puff - That area is in the bluffs E of the pond, RRP calls that bluff perch, and most likely it was HM or HD.  It looked like HM to me this morning. 

clynn - I sure do remember Gladys Kravitz  ;D ;D  Cool pic of the Driftless area!

tsk - I will share a cuppa with you.  Your morning pic looks like they need another.  ;D

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6520 on: July 31, 2024, 12:51:09 PM »

KB   Just like that lynx knew the camera was there and posed.  Gorgeous cat.

So funny was on a phone call on the porch and watched Lulu contend with a chipmunk on the windowsill giving her a hard time  LOL
I think she's napping now   ::) ::) Way too exhausting for 15 minutes  ;D
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #6521 on: July 31, 2024, 02:22:18 PM »

Good Afternoon!   Just came in from the back porch while Piper was enjoying the yard!  Dew point 78 degrees and temp in the low nineties but didnot feel too bad!  There is a heat advisory tho!

Tsk, my college roommate, at Beloit retired to Mineral Point and lives on Mineral Point!  She mentions Dodgevile.   She and her ex owned a historic  hotel in Galena.  They were  in the process of renovations when they divorced!  I really like that town  in NW  Il.  I love your morning coffee pictures!   Lol!   The IV was priceless!

Clynn,  hope you are having a great day with tge kids!  3 more to go! The  octopus was clever!
Interesting about F. lee , a  founding father!  Robert E Lee is a descendant  and was born in Stratford  Hall  a later residence of F. lee! (After the resident you posted and before RELee).  I have read a lot about the later and there is a lot of conflicted info about him!

Lani, so tragic about the fires in Az!  There are some on Oregon, Calif and am not sure of tge status of those in NM!  So sad to lose wildlife and the beautiful plants in these lovely areas!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 03:37:39 PM by karengramke »

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #6522 on: July 31, 2024, 04:42:55 PM »

Happy Sunset, Beakers!  :)

I've enjoyed reading up on everyone's posts. Thanks to all!  :)

It has been a busy couple of days around here. I've enjoyed watching lots of Olympics, thanks to DVR - especially gymnastics and swimming. I still need to catch up on today's contests, so that's where I'm headed now.

I had a fun visit with some family and friends who were vacationing up the coastline a bit. The kids all had fun playing together - my LGN and her Baby Bro and family enjoyed having some of their family friends vacationing with them. A good time was had by all.
  :D :-* :-*
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 01:13:14 AM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

karengramke

« Reply #6523 on: July 31, 2024, 05:11:29 PM »

Baz. Has lgns hair been growing in curly or did she get a perm?  I like the lookon her!

Phyl

« Reply #6524 on: July 31, 2024, 06:17:09 PM »

Lani  heartbreaking how those 'wild' fires continue to burn and murder wild life and it's flora.

Bazi  tks for the family snaps of the visit---LGN/ Lil Bro so cute--glad her hair is growing in curly, looks like she gets the curls from her mom--will she grow it out long of keep it short? either  way will be cute .   LIL bro and all look like they're having such fun in the surf

KB awesome lynx snap ---awesome big cat!

Been praying for those wild fire animal victims and the forest itself will be protected from further death ,
 destruction and the culprit is captured-punished.

Good Night Everyone... sleep well. 

#istandwithisrael