Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 431139 times)

karengramke

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #5340 on: June 12, 2024, 07:01:02 PM »

Hatches and fledges all over the place!  Such fun and Iris has a cute baby!   Finn was there to see tge food got in!  He acts like he was trained by Harriet! (Hope you are rip, if not at home some other plCe)
While watching the wind blowing the nests I. Keep hearing, when the wind blows, the cradle will rock!  I just do not want  to hear , down  will come cradle. Etc! Thanks Clynn and Lani!  Stay in where you and Sadie are cool,   Drink lots of water!  The heat could hve caused her tummy upset!

Nest s rocking in  wIsconsin too!
Seds

« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 09:19:43 AM by karengramke »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5341 on: June 12, 2024, 07:23:17 PM »

BAZI   Thanks much for the b-day greeting but no worries - I celebrate the whole month   ;) ;)  Now that lemon pound cake with rhubarb sauce gives me some ideas  ;D ;D

TIG  I'm so glad I'm a cradle English speaking person!!  And it only gets worse with so many words similar to that. LOLOL

Sat out on the patio for the first time in a couple weeks after dinner and read/watched.  All the cicadas were sleeping.  Cardinal and robin taking baths in a freshly cleaned birdbath.  Chippy ran across the patio, Rabbits eating the lawn clover - yay

We had our first 90 degree day today.  Will add more humidity to that tomorrow.
Chicagoland

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #5342 on: June 12, 2024, 07:36:07 PM »

(((Lani))), oh my! I know there have been severe, and extreme, heat warnings for that area! I hope it wasn't a heat stroke! I am very worried if you didn't get to a doctor quickly if you had heat stroke! Or even heat exhaustion! I hope you got yourself into a cool tub of water to lower your body temp. More than that, I hope you got to a doctor. Prayers for your speedy recovery.

Beakers, there's a big difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Heat exhaustion is bad enough, but heat stroke is life threatening. Heat stroke can cause death or permanent problems if not treated right away. Drinking water doesn't fix heat stroke.

This is a good explanation of the difference between heat stroke and heat exhaustion, and other types of heat stress:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/heatstress/heatrelillness.html

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

oldguy

« Reply #5343 on: June 12, 2024, 07:59:24 PM »

Good Evening Beakers

On the subject of English pronunciation ...

Words from more than 350 languages have entered English in this way. Like French, Spanish, and Russian, English frequently forms scientific terms from Classical Greek word elements. Although a Germanic language in its sounds and grammar, the bulk of English vocabulary is in fact Romance or Classical in origin.

What language does English take the most from?
The English language descends from Old English, the West Germanic language of the Anglo-Saxons. Most of its grammar, its core vocabulary and the most common words are Germanic. Around 70 percent of words in any text derive from Old English, even if the words have a greater Romance influence.

Since almost every language has it's own way to pronunciate a word - English ends up with a little bet from everyone... :P

I have been under the weather, so to speak - a case of eye infection - Starting to see better today - hoping to be back to normal by Monday.  So was not doing much reading - just doing videos...  So some of these are a little dated...

From Sat...
Large Lava Flow Today Took Out The Blue Lagoon Road Again   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5u3wGTtAIg
From Sunday...
Iceland Volcano Updates | Lava flows over road and barriers!   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k79KsYLDo0
From today..
Unusual Blue Lagoon Background And The Lava Around Grindavik   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7n8WfrjItE

Father & Daughter Jam (Ellen plays Bass & Keyboards)   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDEknVpRi3Y
TOP 10 METAL Bass Lines   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR33ZUy2wPM

Quarantine Kids play "Not Fade Away"   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_DIuG5Js4

My Three Cats Just Can't Find a Way to Fit in One Giant Bed!   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C104-gp5glA

General the Cat Might be 18, But He's Getting Younger Every Day!   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVCpz6o8cHs

Maru wants to laze on the swing on a hot day   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze85KVn0aYw
Fidgety Miri when she saw Japanese macaques up close   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3xgtHaZkzE
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #5344 on: June 12, 2024, 11:08:29 PM »

Tsk- Hope you were able to catch up on things!  Yes - Alaska next week!   Glad you enjoyed sitting outside this afternoon - sounds like a fabulous peaceful way to rest and relax!

LisaG- Thank you  :)

Clynn- Oh no, the agony of losing a post!  How was your day with the Munchkins?!!  I'm sure you all had beautiful quality time together!

Phyl- Sorry that you too hit the wrong button this morning - so frustrating!   Yes! Congrats to Iris & Finn!!

Lani- Are you feeling a lil better tonight?  Please take care.

Karen- Great advice for Lani to drink lots of water.  Staying hydrated is good!

Og- Hope you start feeling better and your eye infection clears up soon.  Take care and thank you for links.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5345 on: June 12, 2024, 11:32:28 PM »

Atlantic Puffin Burrow cam
Welcome Millie and Willie's new puffling Ama!  :-*
The name Ama honors a longtime puffin cam viewer from Norway who passed away in November 2023.

Good night little Puffling!  :-*

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Clynn,  Tig, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Clynn, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Denton eaglets and nest, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5346 on: June 13, 2024, 06:13:52 AM »

Good Morning Everyone...                                                                                                                     

Currently: 62F sunny, High  90F  sunny,  Low 62F

Yesterday was a vet day so Maggie could get her rabies vax. It was a very nice visit as we were with our and Maggie's
favorite vet---Dr.  Steele. Mags got a 'senior' wellness exam and a 'pedicure'.   My baby weighs in at 5lbs. 8 oz. Which is very good for such a small kitty.  All in all she's doing very  well... her little heart sounds good. Doc is very fond of Maggie and takes a special interest in her--spending time visiting with her and us.  I expressed my uncomfortableness with the Rabies at such an advanced age and health issues. Relating that Tennessee is just one of four states that make 'no exceptions' regarding that vax.  Most vets here, incl. Mag's agree that consideration should be given for 'older' cats and dogs. Doc said that the rabies vax given to cats is a milder version  than for other animals and that she made an adjustment for age.

LANI-sure hope you're feeling better this Am

CLYNN- looking forward to  snaps from Munchkin Day.  I bet y’all had loads of fun.

EAGLES- I'm sure you both will have a great time cruising  Alaska and  you can spend time ashore.  Hope you can sail the channels  between Alaska and her islands --- Admiralty Island is between Juneau and the ocean, kind of. . We took a small boat cruise of that area and saw whales ;  and seals  lounging in the sun on buoys. While on that cruise a whale came right along side of our boat while it was swimming---I stretched out my hand and caressed it's side by gently holding it in place as it swam. Amazingly it kept pace with the boat and stayed in place. It's skin felt like  fine  grit sand paper with water flowing over it.  Unforgettable !

TSK-  I envy you sitting out on your 'patio' in the evening. I use to do  that in the AM and PM. Nowadays, just can't seem to make it out
there  :(

OG- I remember learning all that about the root languages  and the Germanic, Romance and Classical (Greek/Latin) when I was studying French in high school and later studying Latin.  Also, American and British English are one of the very few languages where the 'Rs' and 'Ls' etc aren't  'rolled'.

Prayers for: The Beakroom and Cheers.; Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people.  Greenfield, IA;Laken Riley, all those like her and family .
 'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere .
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 09:45:35 AM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#istandwithisrael

Phyl

« Reply #5347 on: June 13, 2024, 06:17:58 AM »

Peeked in on DN17 and DN18 just now...

#istandwithisrael

Puff

« Reply #5348 on: June 13, 2024, 06:35:52 AM »

I wasn't able to peek in on anything,  Phyl.  Just went through again another power outage.  This one was about an hour.  Another one last week was about 1hr 45min.  Add to that about 3 weeks ago ComEd did a major service upgrade; that was almost 1/2 day.  Not bad for me, I just worked on yesterday's puzzle page to fill the time.  But this would be "getting ready for work" time for most - that's not good.  Having lived here 53 years and having done a whole lotta building during the interim I'll just roll with the flow.

I was just getting ready to post something too.  Mind went poof like the electricity.   :-\

P

« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 06:41:50 AM by Puff »

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #5349 on: June 13, 2024, 06:39:00 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Good day with the Munchkins, Bella was non-stop! We played Barbies (I am always the Mom ;D) and we worked on some of the Barbies hair (a mess!). We did some art, a Play-doh session and for the first time, we made cookies! And she washed dishes. Now she wants to make cookies every Wednesday! We checked the park out, all of the new equipment has arrived and hopefully it gets installed soon!

Phyl, what a beautiful picture of the North kids! Love the coloring, sunrise in the fog, absolutely beautiful! They have been very photogenic! Sweet strawberry bear! I am so glad to hear that Miss Maggie is doing well and that your vet takes special care of her.

Lani, aww, Willie and Millie have their new little one! Pretty name for her! Can't wait to see a feeding, I love how they come in with a mouth full of little fish! Hope you have recovered and are feeling better today!  Isn't it wonderful seeing Iris with a little one again? And Finn is so attentive and takes such good care of Iris. This is who she was waiting for! Finn was the first one that kept bringing fish to her in the beginning, I think that is what she was looking for!  The Albies and the Bears are doing good, the North kids are almost grown - life is good in our Beaker world!

E4E, yes, we all know the agony of losing a post...  The Munchkins will be in Branson, MO next week, so I won't have them for 2 weeks!

oldguy, hope your eye is back to normal today! Thanks for all the links, I will get to them after I get this post done! Appreciate all the updates you give us!

tsk, glad you were able to get some patio time without the Cicada orchestra playing! Hope your birthday was a good one, they come so fast these days...  Lots of 90+ degree days coming!

tig, funny video on the English language!

Hyperion, the world's tallest tree at 379.7 feet (115.61 meters) Redwood National Park, California

« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 07:32:57 AM by clynndunn »
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

Puff

« Reply #5350 on: June 13, 2024, 06:41:06 AM »

Things just coming back on reminded me of what I was going to post ----  Poor Florida!!!!

Two 2 feet of water.  Horrid.  I'll keep my inconvenience to myself.

P

Phyl

« Reply #5351 on: June 13, 2024, 07:01:22 AM »

Since June is the month for weddings (and graduations) I thought this was an
appropriate article.

Are diamonds really ‘forever’?

At 599 carats, the Centenary diamond is one of the world’s largest flawless examples of the gem. It was discovered in 1986 at the De Beers-owned Premier Mine in South Africa.
PHOTOGRAPH BY PHOTO BY PATRICK LANDMANN, GETTY IMAGES

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/premium/article/diamond-engagement-rings-history-debeers-marketing?rid=EBE150D77D2DB51479B2E2AEE712FBB9&cmpid=org%3Dngp%3A%3Amc%3Dcrm-email%3A%3Asrc%3Dngp%3A%3Acmp%3Deditorial%3A%3Aadd%3DDaily_NL_Thursday_History_20240321&loggedin=true&rnd=1711379120233

For non Nat Geo subscribers:

https://www.baunat.com/en/de-beers-eventful-history

https://republicofmining.com/2024/04/08/are-diamonds-really-forever-by-erin-blakemore-national-geographic-march-21-2024/

Following this link may give you access to the Nat Geo article
https://www.facebook.com/natgeo/posts/968156754681755/?_rdr

https://www.padisgems.com/cdn/shop/articles/Types-of-Diamond-Cuts---How-to-Choose-The-Right-Shape_1254x.jpg?v=1648226540

#istandwithisrael

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5352 on: June 13, 2024, 07:06:28 AM »

BAZI    Lots of heat related events - thanks

OLDGUY   Thanks for that interesting bit on languages.  Had to take 2 years of Latin in school and am forever grateful.  Then 2 years of a chosen language.  French for me ( easier grammar than Spanish which was also offered)  LOL   Our eyes are so precious.  Good that you are on the mend.  That is so scary in Iceland with that creeping lava flow.  Hope they are right that the experts have time to build additional barrier to the water pipes   Walter Santi and the bed combinations was so funny.  ;D ;D

LANI   AMA  That's a beautiful name for Milli and Willi's new baby.

PHYL  A strawberry bear?   ;D    Glad you were able to see Dr Steele and have that discussion about the rabies.  She sounds like a wonderful person.  You area a good caregiver for Maggie as she is doing so very well for her age. :-*   Beautiful screen shot of the north kids.  The diamond was a Jeopardy question yesterday...

CLYNN   Good orange Thurs morning  ;D   Wow you were busy.  Now cookie making is a fun thing to do.  Never to young to learn the basics .  You certainly were busy and will not be long before the playground is ready.  I see they will be away for a couple weeks so it should be done by then.  Hyperion  :o :o :o  How is your eye/ vision doing, speaking of OLDGUY's eyes.  Any changes?
Did the milkweed seed ever take?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAMPER

Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #5353 on: June 13, 2024, 08:04:55 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

tsk - Endocrinologist visit went good, even tho I am maintaining a 7.3 A1c, it has not gone up since Aug 2023.  She did not increase the insulin dosage this time.  Glad to hear that you could enjoy the patio in peace. 

clynn - Aww, the feeding at Hellgate. Looks like a fun day with the munchkins! Wowza, the world's tallest tree!

((Lani)) - OMG, I hope you are feeling better this morning.  Thanks for the Hellgate pics. Awww, Ama!

baz - Perfect cake for tsk  :D

karen - You are right, those nests were rocking yesterday.

oldguy - Sorry to hear about your eye infection, and hope it is getting better. Thanks for the videos.

Phyl - Glad to hear that Maggie had a good check up. Good pic of the DNN kiddos.

Puff
- Morning  :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Camper!!

kbshcb

« Reply #5354 on: June 13, 2024, 08:35:43 AM »

How Japanese have produced wood for 700 years, without cutting down trees.

Daisugi is an ancient Japanese forestry technique  developed in the 14th century originally used by people living in the Kitayama region, because the territory was extremely poor in saplings.

They planted cedars pruned in a special way to produce shoots that eventually would become perfect, straight, knot-free lumbers.

The shoots are gently pruned by hand every two years leaving only the top boughs, allowing them to grow straight. Harvesting takes 20 years and old 'tree stock' can grow up to a hundred shoots at a time.

There was actually another reason why the technique was developed: fashion. In the 14th century, a linear, stylized form of architecture known as sukiya-zukuri (数寄屋造り) became popular, and every prominent samurai or nobleman wanted a house built in this way.

There were simply not enough raw materials available to keep up with demand, so daisugi was developed to produce more wood in a shorter time.

The wood produced with this technique has also impressive qualities: it's 140% more flexible than standard cedar and 200% denser and stronger.

Why aren't we doing this?

Morning all....too wet to mow the grass in back but weed whipped and got it ready for tomorrow.
Heading out with Ollie man this dreary somewhat dewey morning.

Happy Bird Day, Camper

All is well in the Beak it seems...