Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 992364 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #7245 on: July 20, 2023, 10:35:38 AM »

Good morningBeakers

Wanted to pop in and say hi. I was up and out here at the hatchery by 5am. One of the parents was perched above the cams and DH2 was squeeing away. 

Jeff dropped Misty off at 8am and will pick her up at 4pm

Puff, have a safe trip to ATF….see ya soon!

Tsk - I am getting some good sleep even tho I am waking at 4am to be out here for 5am.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7246 on: July 20, 2023, 11:08:25 AM »

bounce
Just got back inside from setting sprinkler. I slept in a bit because I was up late watching le Tour. Then, this morning, I kept having dreams about my Indigo puppy. It is so bittersweet.
Yep, the brunt of the storms missed us. The good news is no hail nor power outage.
HAGD
Lol Lani... everything here is just over 70

;D
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7247 on: July 20, 2023, 11:10:21 AM »

Good morning Beakers! Puffin Duryea  :-*
Hi Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Lisa, praying all goes well with Misty today. Have a great day, looking forward to hearing about Puff and seeing your pics!  :-*

Puff, safe travel to Decorah.  :)

Kb, love the horse loving on the cat. Take care  :)

Tig, love the eagle sculpture, thanks for link.

Eagles, Hand is fine today, thanks  ;D.... Happy birthday wishes for you grandson. Have a fun celebration with him today!

Tsk, Phoenix was 119 yesterday! So glad we live here, where are temps are 10-15 degrees cooler.... Take care.

Phyl, I do remember troll dolls... like your windows  ;D

BL, thanks  :)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

T40cfr403

« Reply #7248 on: July 20, 2023, 11:35:35 AM »

Just FYI. Stay safe out there! 8)

What is the heat index?

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity".  That's a partly valid phrase you may have heard in the summer, but it's actually both.  The heat index, also known as the apparent temperature, is what the temperature feels like to the human body when relative humidity is combined with the air temperature.  This has important considerations for the human body's comfort.  When the body gets too hot, it begins to perspire or sweat to cool itself off.  If the perspiration is not able to evaporate, the body cannot regulate its temperature.  Evaporation is a cooling process.  When perspiration is evaporated off the body, it effectively reduces the body's temperature.  When the atmospheric moisture content (i.e. relative humidity) is high, the rate of evaporation from the body decreases.  In other words, the human body feels warmer in humid conditions.  The opposite is true when the relative humidity decreases because the rate of perspiration increases.  The body actually feels cooler in arid conditions.  There is direct relationship between the air temperature and relative humidity and the heat index, meaning as the air temperature and relative humidity increase (decrease), the heat index increases (decreases).

In order to determine the heat index using the chart above, you need to know the air temperature and the relative humidity.  For example, if the air temperature is 100°F and the relative humidity is 55%, the heat index will be 124°F.  When the relative humidity is low, the apparent temperature can actually be lower than the air temperature.  For example, if the air temperature is 100°F and the relative humidity is 15%, the heat index is 96°F (use this calculator).  In the Panhandles, we commonly see hot temperatures during the summer, but the low relative humidity values make it somewhat unusual to see dangerous heat index values (i.e. 103°F or greater).  A full heat index chart for a larger range of temperatures and relative humidity values can be found at this link.

It surprises many people to learn that the heat index values in the chart above are for shady locations.  If you are exposed to direct sunlight, the heat index value can be increased by up to 15°F.  As shown in the table below (attachment), heat indices meeting or exceeding 103°F can lead to dangerous heat disorders with prolonged exposure and/or physical activity in the heat.

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7249 on: July 20, 2023, 01:41:40 PM »

EAGLES - So what do you do with a boy teenager these days?  LOL

TIG  Interesting article .  Will see if my brother liked the updates.

BL  You sure do have an interest in the weather!  Were you in that field? or just a hobby with you?  Maps interesting.  Yes I am in Park Ridge but in my neighborhood - I'm at the SW end of PR - there was no noticeable change in the weather other than dark skies and some rain - Amazing isn't it?

T40  Found the chart interesting.  I knew it was a combo of some sorts b/w temp and humidity. Graph really spells it out. Shady areas as well.  :o :o
Chicagoland

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #7250 on: July 20, 2023, 01:42:02 PM »

NES has us under severe thunderstorm warning with heat index of 102F. The skies are rolling, growling and thundering.   Tropical storm "Don'  which is passing over us...is headed toward the  west-north-east Atlantic.

Kb luv the mere and colt, LOL horse petting his cat.   Maybe hose watering appeases the 'rain gods'?  ::)

Tsk I have a 9" tall blond Troll with a butch cut dressed as a friar with a Rosary 'bout his waist.  He's called 'Monk-monk'

{{{Tig}}} tks for the photos, now have better picture of what y'all weretalking about. Yesterday I was about ready to curse when the lights flickered. I thought, "Not a nother one of the (*%$@!  'blackouts' or shortages".  >:(

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #7251 on: July 20, 2023, 01:44:32 PM »

Lori deep thoughts for you, your grandma and family, today

Lani tks for update on Puffin Duryea  :-*

T40 good idea to post that heat index chart. I saved it as I don't know where mine is located on this PC.

E4E ditto Tsk, what do you with teenage boys nowa days. I;m sure y'all will have fun. Cali is full of lots to do/see.

Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #7252 on: July 20, 2023, 01:47:01 PM »

Took a gander over to Two Harbors and Anthony's bachalor pad...

our fella is just 'chillin' and taking in  the ocean view.

Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #7253 on: July 20, 2023, 01:49:57 PM »

And, while I was out and about took a jaunt accross the 'pond' to the Black Eagles of Roodekrans

Jul 14, 2023 6:53 AM
Camera Time: Jul 14, 2023 1:52 PM SAST

Goodness this eaglet is quickly growing and  generally always has a full crop.

Comparison

Sauces bald eagle cam

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7254 on: July 20, 2023, 02:08:23 PM »

no bounce
Rats! I did it again.  >:(  I told myself "don't hit your bad shin when carrying those buckets" Of course, I did. Resting with feet up and ice pack on the shin I had a bone bruise on when I did somersaults down the embankment at the lake in 2017. Camper will finish the moving of the sprinkler for me (just two areas left).
Sigh. Could be worse. I finished pruning the service berries and salvia.
HAGD
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #7255 on: July 20, 2023, 04:06:17 PM »

Happy Day, Beakers!

My flare-up has finally flamed out.  ;D Yay!  :D

Lisa, did you get to the Hatchery early enough to catch HD or HM fishing at the pond there? Great reports and pics!  I hope Misty is home now, or soon will be, and will be feeling good as new again in a day or two.  I'm sure Jeff and Bandit are glad she is back to her sweet personality.  :) :-*

((Lani)), you took such a bad spill. Do you think you momentarily lost consciousness, since you don't remember hitting your head? I'm so glad you're feeling better!  Hope you're completely well again soon!  RC at the Falls!  :-*  Duryea is fiesty and healthy... I'm wishing for a successful fledge for another of Willie and Millie's little ones.  :-*

Tsk, LOL on Tim being on his own for dinner while you went out with the girls. Happy Birthday to Barb and Jean. Yum on those desserts! Glad those tornadoes missed you!

Karen, I didn't realize Piper was an escapee through the broken fence. Glad it's fixed and all turned out well.

E4E, happy birthday to your grandson! You said he's a teenager now - does that mean it's his 13th birthday? I hope it was good weather and fun at the beach!

Have a good evening, All!  :)

A "funny."   ;) ;D

« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 04:07:50 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7256 on: July 20, 2023, 06:40:51 PM »

PHYL  " Monk-Monk"  ;D   Always amazes me how white those black eagles juveniles are.

TIG  You have a lot of plantings in your yard that need tending.  Hard job!  Ouch on your shin and yes I remember the tumble!

BAZI  So glad you are feeling "back to normal" now  ;) ;)  Actually the afternoon lunch with the girls - we ate about 2 - 2:30. netted Tim half of my huge grilled salmon sandwich and half the fries.  He was a happy camper.   "What the Hellmann"   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #7257 on: July 20, 2023, 07:01:49 PM »

What the Hellmann! Just shared that all over!  🥰😂😃😜
 Az, glad you are feeling good again!
Eagles, am liking your beachy water color looking greetings!   How is the teenager?

Weather here same same again!  Bl and T40, wow, those are some in depth weather reports!   I know enough to stay in when we have a weather advisory! 
That would be today!  I did , however, sit out while Piper strolled the yard!
Hope
puff made a soft and safe landing in Decorah!

No hh worker today but an office worker did pick up some prescriptions for me!
Now to empty the dryer!   Lol and seds

LisaG1967

« Reply #7258 on: July 20, 2023, 07:46:39 PM »

Good Evening Beakers

Misty did good with her spaying.  Jeff is a nervous wreck cause he is trying to keep her from jumping all over. 

Puff made it safely to Decorah this afternoon, and is back at the hotel. 

Lani - Thank you.  Oh my, you are still in the hot zone with those temps. 

T40 - Thanks for the info. 

Phyl - Great pics!

Tig - Hope you feel better soon.

Baz - Lol on the Hellman!  I have been to the hatchery early, but man, those eagles get up early!  They have already done their fishing before I’ve gotten there.  Bandit will be glad there will no more of that crazy whining nonsense!

Tsk - Sounds like you had a great lunch, and shared some with Tim 😀

Karen - I am so glad to hear that Piper is such a good pup for you. 

Phyl

« Reply #7259 on: July 20, 2023, 08:44:33 PM »

Edited

PHYL  " Monk-Monk"  ;D   Always amazes me how white those black eagles juveniles are.

I bought that Toll doll on Ebay years ago. The woman that sold it became a nun doing missionary work .And thusly gave up her posessions. She recieved him as a child and did a first class job of a butch hair cut.  ;)     Her late mother was a seamstress/tailor. And, put a pair of scissiors to a sheet of brown felt  sans pattern and there he was!

Sauces bald eagle cam