Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California  (Read 231674 times)

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35
Re: Sauces Bald Eagle Cam, California
« Reply #720 on: February 26, 2017, 12:34:19 PM »

;)
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

shep

• NEWS and analysis
« Reply #721 on: February 26, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »

Mp - this is an exceptionally beautiful snip!   :D
ACCEPT TRUTH even when you dont like it
https://gab.com/ShepQ

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #722 on: February 26, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »

MpMom, I feel for these 2, too.  Thanks for the new s'caps you posted here.  They look great, and I agree with shep about your s'cap of the "special perch" - it's beautiful - the eagle and the setting.  Thanks!  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Yankeexpress

« Reply #723 on: March 03, 2017, 07:15:34 PM »

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:07:32 PM by Yankeexpress »

Emyrauld

« Reply #724 on: March 03, 2017, 11:06:30 PM »

Thank you Yankeexpress for the news and the capture.  I saw her around noon and thought she might be up to something.  The coward in me couldn't stay to watch.  I checked in just before 9pm nest time and saw an egg roll.  The egg is intact with no obvious signs of a problem at the moment.  There is a long road ahead, but this egg has made it longer than 4 of the first five.  Hope springs eternal.

A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

Emyrauld

« Reply #725 on: March 04, 2017, 07:53:23 AM »

Checked in again at 5:45 nest time.  Not so sure about this one.  Hopefully just straw and camera angle
A sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected and smile through the unbearable....Moshe Woldoks

Emyrauld

« Reply #726 on: March 04, 2017, 08:14:56 AM »

:'(

MpMom

« Reply #727 on: March 04, 2017, 08:49:56 AM »

Thanks Yank & Emy!

Sad all over again. I love these 2 so much :'( :'( :'( :'(

From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

baziunc

« Reply #728 on: March 04, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »

Well, I can't make out the details of the cam pic, but from the "cry" emoticon and the "sad" comment, I take it the 6th egg has broken.  I'm so sorry about that news.  Thanks to all posting.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

DekeCora

« Reply #729 on: March 04, 2017, 11:56:43 AM »

This is really troubling not knowing what is causing the shells to crack.  Is it environmental, in the water or fish they consume or a health issue with Mom or Dad?  I'm amazed that she's laid 6 eggs and from reading the scroll below the nest cam they say a possible 7th on Monday.  I didn't think an eagle could lay so many eggs in one season. Adding to the mystery is this happened in 2014 and 2015 and 2016 they were successful raising two.

MpMom

« Reply #730 on: March 04, 2017, 12:15:40 PM »

I can't believe mama laid a 6th egg either!! I hope Dr Sharpe watches & can find out what is happening here.
Deke, I have watched kids fledge here too & they are such great parents. They need to find out why this is happening :'(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:06:09 PM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #731 on: March 04, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »

Hi MpMom, Yankee and All. Prayers that all will be well for this beautiful eagle family. Thank you.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

baziunc

« Reply #732 on: March 04, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »

Hi everyone.  I'm really sad about the 6th egg breaking here, too.

For those interested, I'm re-posting two posts from this thread on Feb. 4th of this year - one from Emyrauld, with some history and notes, and one from me in reply to that.  My post includes a link to an article that may be of interest to those who have questions about what may possibly be an environmental factor here related to possible cause of egg-breaking issues.  It's a long article, and it requires continuing to scroll past the irritating embedded ads in it, but the reader will be rewarded with good info all the way to the end of the article, which is related not just to California Condors, but also to other raptors, such as Eagles, who may feed on the animals in this part of the country who have been shown by research to still have DDT in their systems - leftover in the marine environment from long ago, and passed up the food chain - as explained in the article link in my quoted post below. 

I think this is one possible explanation for why these eagles sometimes are able to hatch eggs, and why sometimes the eggshells are so thin that they break easily... I think it depends on their diet and what toxins are in what they are eating.  Just my thoughts, obviously.  I will be looking forward to hearing if Dr. Sharpe is able to do any follow-up research and testing specific to these eagles at this location to determine the cause of the eggs breaking.

Here are the two posts I am referencing - remember, they are from Feb 4th, 2017, from this thread...

Posted 2/3/17 on the IWS Facebook page:

"The Sauces birds laid and lost another egg today. Looking at the history of the nest, it has failed in 5 of the 9 previous nesting attempts, with 2 different males and 3 different females. Male A-28 was present 2008-2011, and the male A-40 from 2012 to present. Female A-02 was present in 2008-2009 and failed both years. Female A-27 was present from 2010 until she was displaced by A-48 in 2013. A-27 was successful every year except 2013, when ravens took the eggs. Female A-48 was unsuccessful in 2014 and 2015, and had two chicks last year. Why the eggs are breaking so quickly with the current pair is hard to say. Unfortunately, we can't get information on potential contaminates from eggshells; only from egg contents."

Oh, such sad news.  Emyraud, thank you for posting the pics and info, though I wish it were more upbeat.  I feel like there must definitely be some environmental/contamination issue for such easy egg-breakage, and so often, even though different eagles nested here. 

There are many articles on the topic, but this one from about 3 years ago talks about the study of California Condor eggs that were tested and measured and showed at least half still were affected by DDT.  This is an excellent article that talks about how and why DDT is still affecting the birds and marine life on the Pacific U.S. coast... If you are patient enough to read the whole article, which is not long, and is easy to follow, there is reference near the end of it about a planned study, at that time, for the effect on other raptors in that area, such as eagles - not just the condors:
http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2013/09/california_condor_study_finds.html

DekeCora

« Reply #733 on: March 04, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »

Thanks for posting baziunc, I just read the article.  Interesting and sounds to me that could explain what's happening here.  Especially since the breakage has happened with so many different eagle pairs.  Can't imagine what can be done now since it's lingered so long in the environment and probably will for years to come. Just tragic all the way around for all wildlife that becomes contaminated with this poison.

MpMom

« Reply #734 on: March 04, 2017, 03:21:38 PM »

Hi Lani! Sad for this family :'(

Thanks Baz, I remember Emy posting that. Sad :'(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 03:26:31 PM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.